2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

info on cams

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Omega_5
*sigh*

Yes... using 110 they are the right ones...

The ones posted before were also the right ones... but not for our engines.
Instead of looking up the EVO numbers, I just looked at the DSM spec sheet sitting on my hard drive.... much simpler and quicker in order to get the point across, considering I have stuff to do at work.
/sigh2u2

They still were not correct even using DSM lobe seperation angle. You did the math on the opening and closing points @ 1mm and not advertised like I originally stated. The spec card you quoted is correct but your math on overlap and LSA is not...you posted lobe seperation angles in excess of 130 degrees and overlap in the single digits.

Overlap using your centerlines and info on DSM cams:

264/264 -> {[(264+264)/4]-110}*2 = 44 degrees overlap
272/272 -> {[(272+272)/4]-105}*2 = 62 degrees overlap
264/272 -> {[(264+272)/4]-106}*2 = 56 degrees overalp
272/264 -> {[(272+264)/4]-110}*2 = 48 degrees overlap

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
Yes... my differential EXPLODED... so I need to get my original trans (synchro problem) fixed. BUT, if I can't find someone that is willing to work on an F35 MU3 Trans... then I think I am going to be stuck buying a new/used trans.

Either way... cams gotta go.
Ouch, happen on the track or on the street if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited by Witt; 05-15-2008 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-15-2008, 10:45 AM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
back story.

the 264 intake and 272 exhaust dsm set up was to help the smaller turbo guys get more top end pull. also they wouldn't have to dick with the idle to prevent the idle surge issue and other things here and there. not as much power as a straight 272. a smidge more than a straight 264.

i hate math. cereal.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Area47
back story.

the 264 intake and 272 exhaust dsm set up was to help the smaller turbo guys get more top end pull. also they wouldn't have to dick with the idle to prevent the idle surge issue and other things here and there. not as much power as a straight 272. a smidge more than a straight 264.

i hate math. cereal.
srsly

This is why I said to reduce the intake cam as reducing the exhaust cam duration limits top end airflow while still giving poor low end with the larger intake cam. With the exhaust side longer than the intake, you help uncompressed exhaust scavenge but still exhibit good low end torque since the higher duration intake cam that allows compressed air to ingest is not needed. With the HKS Evo grind the overlap would be the same on both cam setups no matter the combination.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:08 AM
Rent me! per hour

Originally Posted by Witt
srsly

This is why I said to reduce the intake cam as reducing the exhaust cam duration limits top end airflow while still giving poor low end with the larger intake cam. With the exhaust side longer than the intake, you help uncompressed exhaust scavenge but still exhibit good low end torque since the higher duration intake cam that allows compressed air to ingest is not needed. With the HKS Evo grind the overlap would be the same on both cam setups no matter the combination.
yepo, in a nut shell.

i enjoy the fact when something gets technical on here. only about 5 people actually post about it.

there is a downfall to the evo grinds in our engine. i have found it. others have as well. the numbers don't show it. however comming up with 130 degree's is way out there
Old 05-15-2008, 11:14 AM

there is a downfall to the evo grinds in our engine. i have found it. others have as well. the numbers don't show it. however comming up with 130 degree's is way out there
Which is why I am swapping to yet a different set of cams, other than the fact that they aren't regrinds.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:19 AM

yepo, in a nut shell.

i enjoy the fact when something gets technical on here. only about 5 people actually post about it.

not everyone enjoys hearing from everyone else how wrong theyare whenthey know they arent when they post technically **** like in the intake manifold thread..its very hard posting information that helps with these cars when people that dont even plan on do said mod argue the fact that u dont NEED it...
Old 05-15-2008, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Raven SS
not everyone enjoys hearing from everyone else how wrong theyare whenthey know they arent when they post technically **** like in the intake manifold thread..its very hard posting information that helps with these cars when people that dont even plan on do said mod argue that fact that u dont NEED it...
Eh, its good hearing those opinions though imo. What isn't needed is the insults when someone only "thinks" they are right or even if they are correct. I'll take a good discussion any day but when insults are relied upon to try to support an opinion I can't help but laugh.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:23 AM

Eh, its good hearing those opinions though imo. What isn't needed is the insults when someone only "thinks" they are right or even if they are correct. I'll take a good discussion any day but when insults are relied upon to try to support an opinion I can't help but laugh.
thats for sure...if people cant discuss it, they insult the person trying to benefit
Old 05-15-2008, 11:28 AM
Rent me! per hour

not everyone enjoys hearing from everyone else how wrong theyare whenthey know they arent when they post technically **** like in the intake manifold thread..its very hard posting information that helps with these cars when people that dont even plan on do said mod argue the fact that u dont NEED it...
people are quick to jump and point fingers

witt. the cams of win
Old 05-15-2008, 11:30 AM
Former Vendor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
witt you wouldn't happen to have a pic of the shims that were sent with your cams? I'd like to see it
Old 05-15-2008, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by fast98
witt you wouldn't happen to have a pic of the shims that were sent with your cams? I'd like to see it
They are simply machine washers. Bates uses a similar technique.

Area47 tried having a set machined with a flange so they wouldn't slip but lifter-bore clearance inhibited their use.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:37 AM
Rent me! per hour

They are simply machine washers. Bates uses a similar technique.

Area47 tried having a set machined with a flange so they wouldn't slip but lifter-bore clearance inhibited their use.
im still not out of options on the shims yet

m10 is the shim size. this varies greatly in size. roughly 2.0mm is the thickness
Old 05-15-2008, 05:07 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
Ouch, happen on the track or on the street if you don't mind me asking?
AT the track... in the burnout box. The Track official was waving me forward... then gave me the thumbs up. I did my burnout in 1st... when I let out of the gas... it sounded like a Hail Storm under my hood. The car wouldn't move then. I thought (and Hoped) it was axles. I was wrong.

Later on, I had a friend tell me that the official stopped me about 2 ft before the burnout box. So I'm thinking that either a roll pin just decided to fall out... or that I got WAY too much traction, which is what I think happened, considering how much VHT was on the ground from the Slick cars running for the previous 3 hours.

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/problems-service-maintenance-69/usmcfieldmp-vs-f35-tranny-107667/ Pics are in post...32 or something
Old 05-15-2008, 06:25 PM
Rent me! per hour

Old 05-15-2008, 06:45 PM

Looks familiar.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:48 PM
Rent me! per hour

should!

well, not exactly. a few things in the pic are different.

i was staring at the pic and trying to figure out where the 130 degree's came from

::shrugs::
Old 05-15-2008, 08:13 PM

What actually pisses me off is when people flame you with out looking at what your actually talking about.
For example, one person talks about valve overlap, the next person assumesyou mean lobe overlap, and gets all sandy vagina on you about it.

It's **** like that, why I've deleted most of the technical stuff I've ever put on this forum. If people want to start making assumptions on my behalf, I'll stop posting stuff.

The other thing, is when people get all hard headed about stuff, and when there's an alternative they, again, get all sandy vagina instead of asking people to explain.... then again, i can't really blame them... how many people will actually take the time out of their busy day to reply to a PM?

So, **** it... I'm down shifting into An0 mode, and gonna lurk and laugh for a bit.... answer a few PM's and stuff.... maybe while I'm lurking someone can post a how to for "keeping your cooter clean".
Old 05-16-2008, 03:49 AM

What actually pisses me off is when people flame you with out looking at what your actually talking about.
For example, one person talks about valve overlap, the next person assumesyou mean lobe overlap, and gets all sandy vagina on you about it.
Everybody posting in this thread has calculated valve overlap numbers. Feel free to point out any instance where this wasn't the case. Why someone would even bother to post individual cam overlap when speaking of total valve overlap using both cams is beyond me.

should!

well, not exactly. a few things in the pic are different.

i was staring at the pic and trying to figure out where the 130 degree's came from

::shrugs::
What exactly is different? Didn't you use 78lb Supertech valve springs as well?

Edit: other than the exhaust and injectors.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
Yes... my differential EXPLODED... so I need to get my original trans (synchro problem) fixed. BUT, if I can't find someone that is willing to work on an F35 MU3 Trans... then I think I am going to be stuck buying a new/used trans.

Either way... cams gotta go.
the ss/sc has a f35 trans right? then whats a f35 mu3?
Old 05-16-2008, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by wisemanonice
the ss/sc has a f35 trans right? then whats a f35 mu3?
F35 is actually a model number based off torque rating (350 newton*meters). The MU3 is an RPO code. Multiple transaxles can have the same model number but can also have different final drives, revisions, etc. The MU3 is an identifier on that specific type of transaxle and usually any further revisions or changes will be designated with a new RPO though this isn't always the case.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:19 AM

F35 is actually a model number based off torque rating (350 newton*meters). The MU3 is an RPO code. Multiple transaxles can have the same model number but can also have different final drives, revisions, etc. The MU3 is an identifier on that specific type of transaxle and usually any further revisions or changes will be designated with a new RPO though this isn't always the case.
Oh, so his trans has been modified from what the stock trans was is some way?
Old 05-16-2008, 09:29 AM

Again with the not reading...

And again this the sand...

OK... bye bye now...
Old 05-16-2008, 10:28 AM
Rent me! per hour

What exactly is different? Didn't you use 78lb Supertech valve springs as well?

Edit: other than the exhaust and injectors.
ding ding
winna!

dunno. i got nothin

here is your chance to explain your reasoning behind it all.

i wasn't "bashing" i however was looking at the numbers funky

Last edited by Area47; 05-16-2008 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-16-2008, 10:59 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
NO... stock trans is the F35 MU3.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:20 AM

Again with the not reading...

And again this the sand...
r u
[ ] dum
[ ] jay
[ ] shtewpit

check all that apply
The MU3 was used in all SS/SCs from the factory.

Last edited by Witt; 05-18-2008 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: info on cams