2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Installed Header and DP...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed Header and DP...

No, there are no questions in this thread, just a nice shout out to all of you that took the time to make write ups on installing the Header and Down Pipe. I just recently installed my new GMPP Extruded and Honed Header plus my new ZZP 2.5 DP with Cat and extra bung hole for my new AEM AFR Gauge. I was up until 2 in the morning because things were just not going right, first, the bolt on the heat shield (the one on the manifold) would not come off, so I get it off and bust a few knuckles. Then the bolt on the downpipe that connects it to the header won’t budge, finally the bolt snaps in two, the ratchet drops and cracks me right in the mouth. Little blood never hurt anyone, besides it’s for a good cause, right? This was earlier in the evening, oh and after I got the header off and had all the bolts laid out so that I could put them back exactly as I took them off, my kids decided to play hide and seek and crash into my stuff scattering the bolts everywhere , this was enough for me to start pulling out the little hair I already have (maybe it’s had) left. Needless to say, I did finish things up around 2AM; this was after starting at 6PM.

I was bloody lipped with bruised knuckles and no hair plus frozen half to death, but the header, downpipe, and AEM Gauge are in.

However, my main reason for this post was to say thank you to all those who made write ups from the header to the downpipe to the AEM Gauge. Extremely helpful, oh and if there are any noobs reading this, don’t doubt the “Search” field, it can be your best friend.

Next Install – Dual Pass and Heat Exchanger.

Here are a few snaps of my ride with my new smoked taillights, sorry no snaps of the header or dp; maybe later after I get all the stones out of my back.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:17 PM

haha, sounds like some harsh labor. looking forward to pics.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:23 PM

Like you wouldn't believe, I don't have a garage, so I do it in my driveway. I have car ramps that give me about a foot and half under the car (maybe a little more). I do have a dolly but the wheels just go nowhere on a stone driveway, besides it reduces my clearance. So I just lay there on my back.

When I woke up this morning I felt like I had been beat up, every muscle ached, had to be either from the cold, the rocks or the damn tools falling on my face.

In anycase, the outcome was def worth the work.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:24 PM

nice car bro
Old 03-30-2008, 10:32 PM

Wow, it's good to know I'm not the only one that loses blood to tools and the car! Looks good though!
Old 03-30-2008, 10:55 PM

Looks great!

I hope you used better hardware than the stuff ZZP sent you!
Old 03-30-2008, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by 06_SS_S/C
Looks great!

Maybe he will have good luck! Mine has held up fine but I wont be mad/suprised if they give way
Old 03-30-2008, 11:32 PM
Not a Sebring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice car man.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:37 PM

Man you picked a crappy day to tackle that
Old 03-30-2008, 11:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats man. I'm sure just about all of us have been there at one point or another. I've got my header/dp install coming up (whenever free time exists) and I'm not really looking forward to it since I'm in the same situation you are with the ramps and lying on my back and everything. Any tips for using ramps? I tried once but they kept sliding out so I was like "screw it" and just used jacks. Again, congrats. And a little bloodshed never hurt anyone. It puts hair on your head, I mean chest.

ps - pics of the AEM gauges? I'm thinking about doing that as well.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by 06_SS_S/C
Looks great!

Do you mean for the bolts and gaskets?

If so, Yes, I had GM Parts.

Originally Posted by Rodimus_Prime
Man you picked a crappy day to tackle that
Yeah, I did.

I was freezin my ass off, the only thing that saved me was the fact that on the side of my house I have the dryer exhuast and my wife was drying clothes. I would run over and warm myself up, plus I smelled fresh after standing by the exhuast vent.

Originally Posted by Billig ss/sc
Congrats man. I'm sure just about all of us have been there at one point or another. I've got my header/dp install coming up (whenever free time exists) and I'm not really looking forward to it since I'm in the same situation you are with the ramps and lying on my back and everything. Any tips for using ramps? I tried once but they kept sliding out so I was like "screw it" and just used jacks. Again, congrats. And a little bloodshed never hurt anyone. It puts hair on your head, I mean chest.

ps - pics of the AEM gauges? I'm thinking about doing that as well.
My ramps won't slide because of the gravel driveway, but the best tip I can give you is get a used blanket to make the landing a little softer for your back, oh and make sure you chock you back wheels just in case. Other than that, there is enough space to work under the car, but at times you need an extra pair of hands, especially when putting things back on.

I will get pics up later of the AEM Gauge, I am using the CA Steering column pod - but I may have to dremel it to get it to fit better, currently if I set it exactly as it should be; the steering wheel hit's the gauge, going to work on that sometime this week. Plus I will get some pics of the Header and DP if I can.

ps - Be extra careful with the jacks, you can easily rock the car when loosening these bolts, I know when I was trying to loosen the one DP bolt I kept raising the car, not that I was lifting it off the ramps, but it was moving up and down. Make sure you have some horses to go with your jacks

Last edited by KindredX; 03-31-2008 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost