2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

K&N Typhoon NON-CEL thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N Typhoon NON-CEL thread

We all know and have heard about the CELs that several people have gotten but I'd like to know how many people are getting to enjoy their intake without CELs except for the keep alive memory code which goes off after awhile. Also how long has your intake been on?
Mines been on for a week this Saturday. I did get the keep alive memory but just erased it with my reader and nothing since then
Old 10-20-2005, 09:23 PM

yes lets see some people post they are fine with K&N intakes, then i might get it......
Old 10-21-2005, 12:50 AM

Been running fine since I switched the MAF screws to the ones included in the system...been fine since!
Old 10-21-2005, 01:27 AM

Please post how many miles you have driven with out any problems too. I would also like to know that.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:33 AM

yes me too
Old 10-21-2005, 10:37 AM
Moderator Alumni
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
bout 50 miles. Installed it Wednesday night. Did NOT unplug battery. Had a VW tech in my club come help to make sure it went in perfect. No problems whatsoever. *knock on wood*
Old 10-21-2005, 10:56 AM
Banned

I have about 24k miles on my car, driven about 400 miles since intake install and no lights at 23,7xx. I didn't disconnect my battery negative when I installled it, not sure if it played a roll or not.

I've never gotten one nor will I ever I hope
Old 10-21-2005, 01:09 PM

DB-Sneaky?

anyway I am going to buy one, and my dealership will install it. I know its going to cost alot to have them install it but based on the email I got from them I think thats the best route

Hi Jeremy,

I apologize. I thought I had sent a response, maybe it didn't go through. A K&N air filter or cold air kit will not void the warranty. Yes we can install this product. Yes the service department will charge for the install, just like any other part.
Any more questions please e-mail or call.

Thanks Bryan

I had a Nissan SE-R and I had the intake in for about 32,000 Miles. One time after an oilchange I floored the car and I was getting engine miss fires I took it in to get looked at twice both times they siad they did something but the problem was still there. I took it in the third time and they where like "you have a modified vehicle and we cant look into the issue any further" what ass holes. for about 3000 miles the problem was there, when ever I floored the car I got engine miss fire in cylinder 3 i think. I had my oilchanged and guess what NO MORE CEL. I just want to say it was "Sheridan Nissan" and they are all a bunch of ass holes, even my sales person was.

So far with Chevy I have had nothing but good experiences. Hopefully it will stay that way.

I went way off topic what I meant to say was My brother has a ION REDLINE and he has about 8000 miles in his car. He got the intake with less then 1000 miles on his car. He did throw a cell here and there when he first got it but it always went away, and he hasnt had one in a very long time.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:22 PM
Former Vendor

Ive had the CEL come on once or twice before, but it was mainly due to the computer "out of memory" issue that the dealership took care of on our car.

We have not had any other issues with CEl's, and let me stress that our cars are equipped with adaptable/learning computers. They may have a CEL at first, but eventually it will go away as the computer will eventually richen the fuel mixture to compensate. So, as long as you have the mass air flow sensor connected properly, eventually the computer will compensate and do away with the lean condition, and code.

Old 10-21-2005, 02:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Modernceo
Ive had the CEL come on once or twice before, but it was mainly due to the computer "out of memory" issue that the dealership took care of on our car.

do you know if there is a way to force this to happen? i think i am going to start working on getting inside the ecu and figuring out a way to delete all the info from how hard people drive it, or fill it with useless data or something so when people take their cars in for repair, they don't have to worry about anyone seeing their driving habits

anyone with any info please pm me.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:14 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 265 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Xenozx
anyway I am going to buy one, and my dealership will install it. I know its going to cost alot to have them install it but based on the email I got from them I think thats the best route.
I had my dealership install mine yesterday and it did throw a code but they said come down and they will read it for me. I will ask whether or not they removed the negative cable and if that is what GM says to do.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:21 PM

Let me know how it goes, and how they treat ya.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:25 PM

We have not had any other issues with CEl's, and let me stress that our cars are equipped with adaptable/learning computers. They may have a CEL at first, but eventually it will go away as the computer will eventually richen the fuel mixture to compensate. So, as long as you have the mass air flow sensor connected properly, eventually the computer will compensate and do away with the lean condition, and code.

Cory, so you are saying we should stop worrying? The computer will eventually adapt? About how long does something like this take? 100, 200 500 miles?
Old 10-21-2005, 05:43 PM

The fourth guy that I talked to at K&N said to take it out and send it back to were you bought it from. The car is not going to accept it. I drove my car for aleast 800 miles since I put it on. Once my light came on it never went out unless I disconnected to battery.
Joe
Old 10-21-2005, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by JAESS
The fourth guy that I talked to at K&N said to take it out and send it back to were you bought it from. The car is not going to accept it. I drove my car for aleast 800 miles since I put it on. Once my light came on it never went out unless I disconnected to battery.
Joe
this is sickening.

You'd think k&n would do enough testing to get this right.

It makes my stomach turn to think I'd have to spend another 2 hours getting the thing out and putting the stocker back in. I'm gonna wait a bit before I do that.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:28 PM

I have put 400 miles since the intake install and no codes. Ever. I, like others, ignored the battery disconnect step (mainly b/c I did't want to empty out my trunk )

Nothing but pure K&N bliss for me.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:45 PM
Ern

Gosh, its almost sounding like skipping the battery disconnect step is the ticket here.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:53 PM

I didn't disconnect my battery when I installed mine.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:56 PM

I just received my K & N intake from modern performance. Sure looks purdy!

Im going to take it to work and install it there. I'll see if i get any codes. Im going to

carry my tech 2 scanner with me and compare air inlet temps to see if it drops any

from the stock airbox.

Jeff
2005 SS/SC
red/red inserts
sunroof
center armrest console - installed
lower air dam grill - installed
raptor shift light - installed
k & n typhoon intake - installing tomorrow
stage 2 - when it arrives
exhaust - maybe
Old 10-21-2005, 11:19 PM
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PCM "Out of Memory" DTC?????
No such thing AFAIK (this aint Windows LOL)
Fill me in, exactly which DTC would THAT be?
(The DTCs that should be listed on your copy of the repair order)

Regards
WopOnTour
Old 10-22-2005, 12:09 AM

Just installed one on my SS. Was just curious if the splash shield sits up against the tube on your cars. Mine does, and it just doesn't seem right to me.

Oldbenwa
Old 10-22-2005, 08:12 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 265 Likes on 182 Posts
The service manager ran the code and found it to be the lean fuel code. They removed it but it came back quickly. I will try disconnecting the battery as I won't need it at all tomorrow. Then I will go back to the dealership if this doesn't keep the light off.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:28 AM

I tried keeping the battery disconnected for an hour (like the guy at K&N told me to) and it didn't work. So don't get your hopes up
Old 10-22-2005, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Maverick
I tried keeping the battery disconnected for an hour (like the guy at K&N told me to) and it didn't work. So don't get your hopes up
same here.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:29 PM

I had a cel and I DID unplug that bat. However, the cel went away after 2 days of driving.

Quick Reply: K&N Typhoon NON-CEL thread