2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Line Lock on a ss/sc

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Line Lock on a ss/sc

so i was just thinking. not actually going to do this, just an idea. maybe some one could try it. but since we have disc brakes all around. would it possible to run a line lock to the rear for a better burnout at the track. or would it not work for a cobalt?
Old 06-16-2008, 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The parking brake would do as good a job as a line lock would. The threaded Calipers in the rear are known to cause issues either way. Regardless, in RWD vehicle the line-lock is locking the fronts, which is the opposite as in FWD. Furthermore, the front brakes have significantly more clamping force than the rear brakes, which allows this to work better than it would in our application.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:10 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
eh if only our e-brakes actually held the car in place.... I learned that the hard way trying to do a burnout at the track (slicks lol) I launched instead... it was quite embarrassing.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
eh if only our e-brakes actually held the car in place.... I learned that the hard way trying to do a burnout at the track (slicks lol) I launched instead... it was quite embarrassing.
i know what you mean... lol
Old 06-16-2008, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
Hey, if top fuel dragsters can do it, why can't you?
Old 06-16-2008, 06:22 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by shabodah
The parking brake would do as good a job as a line lock would. The threaded Calipers in the rear are known to cause issues either way. Regardless, in RWD vehicle the line-lock is locking the fronts, which is the opposite as in FWD. Furthermore, the front brakes have significantly more clamping force than the rear brakes, which allows this to work better than it would in our application.
yes i know it locks the fronts in a rwd car lol. i'm just saying. would it be possible to run one to the rear of our car.

i love how people try to make others look stupid.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by EXsoccer1921
yes i know it locks the fronts in a rwd car lol. i'm just saying. would it be possible to run one to the rear of our car.

i love how people try to make others look stupid.
They are assuming you don't know much about them if you're asking a question like this. If you have knowledge of line locks then why ask?
Old 06-16-2008, 06:47 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by raptors_67
They are assuming you don't know much about them if you're asking a question like this. If you have knowledge of line locks then why ask?
i dont have knowlegde of them. thats WHY i'm asking. but any ******* knows it goes to the front brakes of a rwd car.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:51 PM

My point was that you'd need to upgrade the rear calipers to make it worthwhile. The stock rear calipers simple suck too much for it.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
im not positive, but i know most cars these days with rear rotors have a caliper for the rotor, and additionally have a very small drum brake inside the rotor which is only activated by the hand brake. I dont believe the hand brake clamps on the rotor through the caliper. Regardless, whether it be a small rear caliper, or a small rear drum stopping you, it will not provide enough stopping force to prevent you from rolling. Even in my LS with rear drums (drums provide more braking force), the only way i can lock the rear wheels is if i pull as hard as i can...and i mean as HARD as i can on the ebrake, to the point where i question if i can pull it even higher to unlock it again.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:55 PM
Banned

hmm????when i went to the drag strip i had no problem stayin in place while doin a burnout.i rolled through the water box and stopped like 6 inches in front of it,pulled the e brake and dropped the clutch and she stayed in place everytime.im a ls with drums too
Old 06-16-2008, 10:38 PM

Just yank the **** out of the e-brake!!!
Old 06-17-2008, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
im not positive, but i know most cars these days with rear rotors have a caliper for the rotor, and additionally have a very small drum brake inside the rotor which is only activated by the hand brake. I dont believe the hand brake clamps on the rotor through the caliper. Regardless, whether it be a small rear caliper, or a small rear drum stopping you, it will not provide enough stopping force to prevent you from rolling. Even in my LS with rear drums (drums provide more braking force), the only way i can lock the rear wheels is if i pull as hard as i can...and i mean as HARD as i can on the ebrake, to the point where i question if i can pull it even higher to unlock it again.
Most full size cars, mid-size SUVs, and Full size SUVs do have the disc/drum hybrid rear brakes. However, most smaller cars are still using the threaded style rear calipers, as the SS/SC does. I agree there is not enough force to make this affective (as I stated above), however I completely disagree on your comment about drum brakes providing more stopping force. Yes, larger drum brakes provide more stopping force than small diameter disc brakes, but, it really depends on the size of the components involved. In the same diameter, a disc brake is going to provide more force, unless the drum is excessively wide, which is even more unusual in small diameter drums. It all comes down to surface area, and you can have a LOT of surface area in a very large drum (as do most 1 ton and larger vehicles), but in a smaller package, the disc brake going to outperform the drum brake.

I've really been wanting to see rear brake upgrades that were worthwhile for a long time now. IMHO, the most ideal setup for a small car would be having one regular hydraulic caliper and one threaded caliper that is only used for the parking/emergency brake. This allows for the use of regular rotors, but finding another mounting point for another caliper can be an issue. Brembo does offer this style of brakes in the aftermarket and on some high-end race-ready OEM brake packages.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:06 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
^^^ got any pics of that nonsense? that sounds like a pretty bad ass idea yet i doubt anyone would make one for cobalts
Old 06-17-2008, 11:13 AM
Platinum Member

what about the "Big Brake" kit. it's like a 13" rotor. would that work?
Old 06-17-2008, 05:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by shabodah
Most full size cars, mid-size SUVs, and Full size SUVs do have the disc/drum hybrid rear brakes. However, most smaller cars are still using the threaded style rear calipers, as the SS/SC does. I agree there is not enough force to make this affective (as I stated above), however I completely disagree on your comment about drum brakes providing more stopping force. Yes, larger drum brakes provide more stopping force than small diameter disc brakes, but, it really depends on the size of the components involved. In the same diameter, a disc brake is going to provide more force, unless the drum is excessively wide, which is even more unusual in small diameter drums. It all comes down to surface area, and you can have a LOT of surface area in a very large drum (as do most 1 ton and larger vehicles), but in a smaller package, the disc brake going to outperform the drum brake.

I've really been wanting to see rear brake upgrades that were worthwhile for a long time now. IMHO, the most ideal setup for a small car would be having one regular hydraulic caliper and one threaded caliper that is only used for the parking/emergency brake. This allows for the use of regular rotors, but finding another mounting point for another caliper can be an issue. Brembo does offer this style of brakes in the aftermarket and on some high-end race-ready OEM brake packages.

typically, with all else equal, the drum will stop better than the rotor due simply to the fact that drums usually have much more contact area than the caliper on a disc. This is defiitely the case with the cobalts as well...ive taken apart my drums and there is a pretty large contact area there. The shoes of our drum brakes are more than half of the total circumference of the drum, and its relatively wide as well. Of course, the drums will still be far worse at dissipating heat and will give in to brake fade much faster