2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

low oil need help plz

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
low oil need help plz

I was going to go visit a friend that lives a couple hours away so while at the gas station I'm topping off the tank getting ready to go and figure what the hell I'll check the oil to. I've been smelling a oil smell around my car lately but couldn't figure out where its coming from and its usually only after starting it cold and short drives I noticed the smell. After checking the oil at the gas station it came out to be a quart low , I change my oil every 3000 miles and it hasn't even been that long since I last changed it. I go into that gas station and guess what they don't carry mobile one. I head back home and park my car, call up my friend tell her I'm not gonna make it because of my car situation, borrow my bro's car and run to wal mart grab a quart of oil run back home. I put the quart in check it before I started the car and there was oil on the dip stick, it looked to be still a 1/4 a quart low but i figured that would be alright for now.

I started the car and there's no oil showing on the dip stick except way on the bottom ??? Now I'm getting a little worried my car doesn't run bad it seems to have a bit of a misfire at idle but still pulls strong while driving and there is no white smoke coming out of the tail pipe. So now I'm stumped the car is still kinda hot so I haven;t gotten to pull the plugs yet and see if anything is wrong with them. I need opinions on what it could possibly be.

Car has raw 3inch intake, ottp long tube header, and 3inch exhaust w/ resignator and borla muffler.

I took the valve cover off when installing the header and didn't replace the gasket it looked to be in good shape so I figured it would be fine to reuse, plus it was about 4 in the morning and I needed to get my car back running. I looked around the valve cover and didn't see any oil leaks, I've kinda ruled that out as the problem. What else is there to check? Also car is throwing a cat efficiency code due to catless exhaust and the number 1 cylinder is running lean.

**** CLIFF NOTES ****

*05 ss/sc raw 3inch intake, ottp long tube header, 3inch exhaust piping w/ resignator and borla muffler
*car more then a quart low on oil possibly 2 quarts (oil changed every 3000 miles) not leaking as far as I know
*doesn't smoke or run bad other then slight misfire at idle
*took valve cover off and didn't replace gasket after installing long tube header
no oil leaking around valve cover so figure that's not the problem
*have yet to pull plugs to see what they look like (cars still hot)

Last edited by bluechevycobaltss; 05-31-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:24 PM
Banned

Bump, same problem here
Old 05-30-2010, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by troyss
Bump, same problem here
when did your problem come about? mods?
Old 05-30-2010, 10:26 PM

maybe check the filter, could be seeping out there if you didn't change the gasket.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by 2.4SlowassBalt
maybe check the filter, could be seeping out there if you didn't change the gasket.
I just changed it with the last oil change (I never did till the last oil change I'm at 86000 miles so that's at least 20 oil without changing that gasket) but I'll double check that just to make sure.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:35 PM
Banned

Will that cause it to run hot?
Old 05-30-2010, 10:39 PM

no. if your vehicle is running hot you have a cooling issue most likely.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:46 PM

yea my car never ran hot the coolant never goes above 180 while driving, while sitting it might get up in the 190's but thats about as high as it goes
Old 05-30-2010, 10:49 PM
Banned

Mine is reaching in the 200's
Old 05-30-2010, 10:53 PM

did you look and see if your coolant pump is working, take off your coolant cap (while engine is cold) start your car and see if it is bubbling?
Old 05-30-2010, 10:56 PM

you live in florida, thats the problem. if it gets over like 210 then you may have a problem.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:21 PM

check and its not leaking around the oil filter
Old 05-30-2010, 11:24 PM
Banned

you live in florida, thats the problem. if it gets over like 210 then you may have a problem.
I live in Nebraska, I drained all my fluid and started it and added fluid and it seems to be sucking it down so I assume it works. You mean the IC pump right
Old 05-31-2010, 12:23 AM

I live in Nebraska, I drained all my fluid and started it and added fluid and it seems to be sucking it down so I assume it works. You mean the IC pump right
that's what i was referring to forgot the name for a second.

bump

Last edited by bluechevycobaltss; 05-31-2010 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-31-2010, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
check your dipstick for poping
Old 05-31-2010, 10:09 AM

You guys do realize that once the engine has been started that a large amount of the oil is all mixed up and coating parts in the engine, and pooled in the head, right? The oil needs time to drain back down into the pan in order to get an accurate reading. That alone would show 1+ quart difference. Unless you let the engine sit off for about a half hour on a flat surface, and then took a dipstick reading, I doubt you have anything to worry about. If it still low then, you may have something to worry about.

To the OP it sounds like this is your issue as you appeared to check the oil after driving both times. Let the car sit and check it again. You may also want to check the plugs as a good measure.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:35 AM

Get a catch can to make sure your pcv system is ok and not letting massive amounts of oil into the intake.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:18 AM

List your mods.

Worst case your engine is blown and oil is leaking past the ring lands and being consumed during combustion.

Also, check it with the car off like csementuh suggested.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by csementuh
You guys do realize that once the engine has been started that a large amount of the oil is all mixed up and coating parts in the engine, and pooled in the head, right? The oil needs time to drain back down into the pan in order to get an accurate reading. That alone would show 1+ quart difference. Unless you let the engine sit off for about a half hour on a flat surface, and then took a dipstick reading, I doubt you have anything to worry about. If it still low then, you may have something to worry about.

To the OP it sounds like this is your issue as you appeared to check the oil after driving both times. Let the car sit and check it again. You may also want to check the plugs as a good measure.
x200
Old 06-01-2010, 05:05 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^ agreed! I usually wait at least 15 minutes before checking the oil.

Originally Posted by bluechevycobaltss
did you look and see if your coolant pump is working, take off your coolant cap (while engine is cold) start your car and see if it is bubbling?
Engine coolant temps for an LSJ are perfectly normal up to 230F when sitting or moving under 20 MPH (traffic). When moving above 20 MPH temps should stay between 180F - 194F depending on the outside tempurature (in extremely hot weather you may see slightly higher than 194F)

Removing the coolant cap from the engine coolant reservoir is not going to tell you anything. The engine coolant doesn't "flow" through the reservoir.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Banned

I have an TVS, will that make a difference being hot?
Old 06-01-2010, 07:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I have an TVS, will that make a difference being hot?
Shouldn't during normal operation.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:51 AM

you might want to relay this info to every shop in america that starts the engine to cycle the oil into the filter after an oil change. I have never seen a car that will gain a quart of oil on the dipstick if you let it sit for a half hour... i do agree that you should check your oil on a level surface though.

Originally Posted by rnjmur
^ agreed! I usually wait at least 15 minutes before checking the oil.

Engine coolant temps for an LSJ are perfectly normal up to 230F when sitting or moving under 20 MPH (traffic). When moving above 20 MPH temps should stay between 180F - 194F depending on the outside tempurature (in extremely hot weather you may see slightly higher than 194F)

Removing the coolant cap from the engine coolant reservoir is not going to tell you anything. The engine coolant doesn't "flow" through the reservoir.
im sorry but i would never feel comfortable allowing any vehicle to run at 230 degrees because pressurized 50/50 mix coolant boils at like 260-265 degrees.

Last edited by 2.4SlowassBalt; 06-02-2010 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-02-2010, 12:21 PM

I say.. let it sit for 1 hour then check it.. if low add a quart.. or ever how much you need.. then check again in a few hurndred miles to see if you are low again..then you know if your lossing or burning oil.. alittle oil consumpstion is common because the rings cant wipe off all of the oil very stroke..
Old 06-02-2010, 06:34 PM

i added a quart to it the that night and checked it the next morning it was parked in our garage so it was on a level surface and its still about a 4th of a quart low ill haven't gotten to check it again. if the motor was blown it would be running bad wouldnt it?

Quick Reply: low oil need help plz