2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

metal shavings on oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by N1ckateen
Actually FYI OP Royal Purple may be a full synthetic oil and have higher raitings, but Mobil 1 is on the oil cap of these cars for a reason. Royal Purple breaks down differently at lower tempuratures than Mobil 1 does causing faster wear on cars like ours which is the exact reason GM went with Mobil 1. If this were a warranty scenerio and they found out you were using Royal Purple instead of Mobil 1 it could have voided the warranty because of the ways the different oils break down due to the amount of heat these engines create. So although Royal Purple claims to be a better oil which in some cases it is or may be GM knows a little more about their engine than you do.

I hate to break it to you but any decision GM makes is heavily weighed on the total cost/profit factor. Mobile 1 was chosen cause it performs well and already had/has a high market share allowing them sell cheaper to Mobile. Maybe the reason Royal Purple has more perceived results of failure is cause they are primarily run in high performance engines in which the owners run them hard and post about the vehicle's online. As long as the oil you use meets or exceeds the GM required specs then you are not liable. Only way GM can make you use Mobile 1 is if they pay for it. That is an actual law.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by stonny9
I hate to break it to you but any decision GM makes is heavily weighed on the total cost/profit factor. Mobile 1 was chosen cause it performs well and already had/has a high market share allowing them sell cheaper to Mobile. Maybe the reason Royal Purple has more perceived results of failure is cause they are primarily run in high performance engines in which the owners run them hard and post about the vehicle's online. As long as the oil you use meets or exceeds the GM required specs then you are not liable. Only way GM can make you use Mobile 1 is if they pay for it. That is an actual law.
x1

And yes Red Line is another great oil.. Just cant get it around here, unless you order it online..
Old 07-10-2011, 03:41 PM

It's MOBIL, no "E".

Sorry, that was annoying the **** out of me.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:05 PM

If RP was oh so great wouldn't it at least meet the GM4718 requirements?

If you want to pay extra for a "better" oil then why not get a proven oil like AMSoil?
Old 07-10-2011, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by N1ckateen
Actually FYI OP Royal Purple may be a full synthetic oil and have higher raitings, but Mobil 1 is on the oil cap of these cars for a reason. Royal Purple breaks down differently at lower tempuratures than Mobil 1 does causing faster wear on cars like ours which is the exact reason GM went with Mobil 1. If this were a warranty scenerio and they found out you were using Royal Purple instead of Mobil 1 it could have voided the warranty because of the ways the different oils break down due to the amount of heat these engines create. So although Royal Purple claims to be a better oil which in some cases it is or may be GM knows a little more about their engine than you do.

Mobil 1 is on the cap because it met GM4718M and ExxonMobil paid to put it on there. It's an advertisement.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:42 PM

IIRC Royal Purple DOES NOT meet GM4718M and SHOULD NEVER be used in an engine that specifies an oil that does.

It may say "meets or exceeds" on the bottle, but it has not actually been approved by GM.

Last edited by red06SC; 07-10-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
Everyone needs to shut the *** up... because no one is changing anyone's mind in here... so its all useless blabbering.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:48 PM

x2^^
Old 07-10-2011, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by red06SC
Mobil 1 is on the cap because it met GM4718M and ExxonMobil paid to put it on there. It's an advertisement.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/mobil-1-qa/

Mobil prides itself on having unique relationships with OEM’s. What specific advantages does this give you when making Mobil 1? The 600,000-mile Mercedes test is one example. Is Mobil paying these companies to use Mobil 1, or do they choose it based on its performance?

One of the many benefits of having a strong relationship with OEMs is that two-way communication can occur between the engineers who develop Mobil 1 and the engineers who design automotive engines. This ensures that we can develop and test Mobil 1 according to the latest engine technology and specs. In turn, the OEMs stay aware of the capabilities of high-quality engine oils, like Mobil 1, in their engines. Due to confidentiality provisions, we aren’t at liberty to discuss our business relationships with OEMs. However, we are confident that the OEMs who rely upon Mobil 1 as a factory-fill believe our product gives their engines the performance and protection it deserves. You don’t have to take our word for this – watch some of the videos on our website featuring testimonials from some of our OEM partners, including Porsche.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
Everyone needs to shut the *** up... because no one is changing anyone's mind in here... so its all useless blabbering.
+3..

hahahaha This is great..
Old 07-10-2011, 07:08 PM

I don't really see what's so great about ignorance.

Mobil 1 is on the cap because they paid.

RP isn't a GM4718M approved oil.

Basestock isn't really as important as the additive pack.
Have a dealer determine what's going on, if it's oil related Royal Purple claims to stand behind their product.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by red06SC
I don't really see what's so great about ignorance.

Mobil 1 is on the cap because they paid.

RP isn't a GM4718M approved oil.

Basestock isn't really as important as the additive pack.
Have a dealer determine what's going on, if it's oil related Royal Purple claims to stand behind their product.

The dealer is gonna rape him cause he isnt under warranty. He should just run it as is if there isnt any abnormal noises and the oil/filter was changed accordingly.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:53 PM

True, I should have worded that differently. If there were to be a catastrophic failure.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by stonny9
The dealer is gonna rape him cause he isnt under warranty. He should just run it as is if there isnt any abnormal noises and the oil/filter was changed accordingly.

I have a sample of the oil,, and it will be tested tomorrow,, But not at the dealer.. It will be tested at my lab at work.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
will you touch my peepee
Old 07-11-2011, 03:28 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
Originally Posted by TANNMANN
I have a sample of the oil,, and it will be tested tomorrow,, But not at the dealer.. It will be tested at my lab at work.
If you find it to be bad or something... I'd have Blackstone Labs do the test as well, to have more proof to use against Royal Purple.

I've ran RP, M1, and AMSOIL in my Cobalt... and M1 and AMSOIL in my VR6.

M1 is thin as ****. That's one of the only things that I don't like about it. RP... idk, there's something about pouring purple **** in my car that makes me feel uneasy. After like 100 or so miles, I'm like "is that **** still purple... or is it black? *** if I know." And I'm not paying $8-$9/qt to have an uneasy feeling.

Amsoil is the only oil that I have been consistently happy with in both cars. Expensive, but if you run the full period that they say it can last... it pays off. I change it in the Cobalt when the DIC tells me too... or earlier, if I've REALLY beat the hell out of the car. I'm at 10k miles with it in the VR6. I'm nervous about going any further with it in there, but it still looks decent on the dipstick, surprisingly (not like that actually says anything). I'm going to change it here soon and have Blackstone run their tests on it. Maybe I'll post up my results and link them back to this thread.

Originally Posted by mrbelvedere
will you touch my peepee
I'd love to. When and where should we meet?
Old 07-11-2011, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
If you find it to be bad or something... I'd have Blackstone Labs do the test as well, to have more proof to use against Royal Purple.

I've ran RP, M1, and AMSOIL in my Cobalt... and M1 and AMSOIL in my VR6.

M1 is thin as ****. That's one of the only things that I don't like about it. RP... idk, there's something about pouring purple **** in my car that makes me feel uneasy. After like 100 or so miles, I'm like "is that **** still purple... or is it black? *** if I know." And I'm not paying $8-$9/qt to have an uneasy feeling.

Amsoil is the only oil that I have been consistently happy with in both cars. Expensive, but if you run the full period that they say it can last... it pays off. I change it in the Cobalt when the DIC tells me too... or earlier, if I've REALLY beat the hell out of the car. I'm at 10k miles with it in the VR6. I'm nervous about going any further with it in there, but it still looks decent on the dipstick, surprisingly (not like that actually says anything). I'm going to change it here soon and have Blackstone run their tests on it. Maybe I'll post up my results and link them back to this thread.

I'd love to. When and where should we meet?
amsoil is good **** i have a family member that runs it the recomended oil change intervals and one of his vans has almost 300k on it if i go back to synthetic oil it would be amsoil sisnce i found the old school kendal thats what im useing grrrrrrrr tiger man