2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

meth kit: streetable?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 10:54 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
meth kit: streetable?

So I went to set up an appointment for a dyno tune today at performance in smithtown. They have a bunch of 8 second z's and stuff and they're obviously very familiar with methanol and nitrous. The guy I spoke to brought up a very valid point about advancing the timing on a daily driven car. Besides the risk of pump failure and hydro lock, a car with agressive timing set up for methanol is not going to be fun unless you're in closed loop and WOT. Considering I barely even boost in daily driving, I would have an advanced timing doing nothing for me. I already have the kit hooked up, I just have to throw the jet on the intake and I'll be set, so please someone change my mind!!!!!!! As much as I want the meth, this daily drivable talk made a lot of sense to me and I see why the previous owner might have disconnected it. Is there a way I can advance and retard the timing for friday nights and englishtown without getting a dyno tune?
Old 04-19-2008, 11:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
tell your buddy he doesnt have a clue.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:13 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Exactly... and I doubt that shop has any experience tuning cobalts.... considering I'm one of the only people in NY that tune these cars, and have tuned just about everyones out here.
Also I've daily driven with meth in my car for over a year with no problems, and will be hooking it back up shortly for the turbo setup.
I was running 21 psi and 25 degrees of timing at an AFR of 11.8 for months with many dyno pulls, 50 passes at the track, and god knows how many other pulls to tune the car. Just get a kit that sprays post blower, the meth easts up the bearing grease and kills em rather quickly if not properly maintained.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:17 AM

yea and dont forget to change ur oil much more often.. it breaks up ur oil... that = bad!!!
Old 04-19-2008, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by ff_drift_lol
So I went to set up an appointment for a dyno tune today at performance in smithtown. They have a bunch of 8 second z's and stuff and they're obviously very familiar with methanol and nitrous. The guy I spoke to brought up a very valid point about advancing the timing on a daily driven car. Besides the risk of pump failure and hydro lock, a car with agressive timing set up for methanol is not going to be fun unless you're in closed loop and WOT. Considering I barely even boost in daily driving, I would have an advanced timing doing nothing for me. I already have the kit hooked up, I just have to throw the jet on the intake and I'll be set, so please someone change my mind!!!!!!! As much as I want the meth, this daily drivable talk made a lot of sense to me and I see why the previous owner might have disconnected it. Is there a way I can advance and retard the timing for friday nights and englishtown without getting a dyno tune?
its bad bad bad for you.... sell it to me for a hundred bucks lol
Old 04-19-2008, 11:51 AM

i dont see any problems as long as you have the safty stuff in there to monitor the equipment
Old 04-19-2008, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by an0malous
tell your buddy he doesnt have a clue.
Heyyyyyyyyyy anomalous..... welcome back haha
Old 04-19-2008, 01:07 PM

Daily driven with meth right here. Tuned so if I run out of meth, I will be just fine. Also, you can indeed add timing for the meth as I have without it interrupting your daily driving because the timing would be added to the higher g/sec & rpms only. That also just so happens to be where the meth kicks in and stays on until you go back down below that threashold. The only time the kit will spray is when you enter boost at a predetermined point set (8-10psi for me) so hydrolock is not going to happen unless you put in some god awfully huge sized jet in. Your kit should have a nice checkvalve included too so it doesn't get siphoned out during normal driving to top that off.

Finally in short, I have meth on tap when I need to romp which helps out tremendously, and can maintain awesome daily driving with 40-42mpg @ 80mph on the highway if needed. Not bad for a car that I've been told would run high 12's if we had a local 1/4 mile track around.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:16 AM
Banned

I think I'm just gonna hook it up. I still need to get some exhaust bent up maybe I'll just wait for that. And I need to find out where to get methanol locally.
Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
Just get a kit that sprays post blower, the meth easts up the bearing grease and kills em rather quickly if not properly maintained.
Do you have to tap the manifold? What about siphoning?
Old 04-22-2008, 08:10 AM

u can get meth from a perfomance shop.... or u can use washer fluid concentrate...
Old 04-22-2008, 08:17 AM

i guess that i don't see how its a bad idea for a daily driven car. i have it and love it. i mean i didn't jack my timing way up there to where it was retarded. i will do that if i go to the track or dyno just to see what the differance is between where i am and a little higher timing. if anything else it is pease of mind if your running a small pulley (2.8 or smaller). where i am now i get no knock at all.