2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Need a tuner's advice on exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Need a tuner's advice on exhaust

I just installed a ZZP shorty header. Everything went fine untill I bolted my stock downpipe back up. Now the stock chod of a converter is sitting on my sway bar. It is like the header drew the rest of the exhaust up farther. Well anyways I have tried everything to try and make it fit and it isn't. My question is if I remove the stock cat and just piece in a straight pipe will I have any problems other than a annoying check engine light? I just wanna make sure it is not gonna effect my cars performance in a bad way. I keep thinking I have heard people say you have to have someone mess with your rear O2 with HPT. Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry for my noobness in the exhaust department
Old 07-11-2008, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are you saying you want to replace the stock downpipe with a basic straight pipe with no cat? if so yes its going to mess with your rear o2 sensor
Old 07-11-2008, 11:43 AM

All you have to do is get some anit-foulers. 4.99 at auto zone. Problem solved. PICSORBAN of the 3rd girl!!!
Old 07-11-2008, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by lewisb13
All you have to do is get some anit-foulers. 4.99 at auto zone. Problem solved. PICSORBAN of the 3rd girl!!!
doesnt solve the fact that the pipes too short...get a flex section welded in..should take care of the problem
Old 07-11-2008, 11:49 AM

what is anti-foulers?

Originally Posted by mike25
doesnt solve the fact that the pipes too short...get a flex section welded in..should take care of the problem
everything is fine except the converter is so damn big. if it wasnt there the fitment would be fine

are you saying you want to replace the stock downpipe with a basic straight pipe with no cat? if so yes its going to mess with your rear o2 sensor
in what way? i dont mind a check engine light. i just dont want the car to be running like ****

Last edited by SSCobalt~SSZ24; 07-11-2008 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Banned

the pipe is not too short. the stock cat is just too big.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:10 PM

so guys can i just cut the cat out? will i only get a check engine light? this isnt permanent. Will my car run fine? wont run rich or lean? will i need to tune it
Old 07-11-2008, 01:12 PM

Cut the cat out. YES you WILL get a CEL. Got to auto zone and ask for some anitfoulers to get rid of the CEL. Wont need to tune it, wont run any different. NOW, can we finally get a lil picsorban on the 3rd chick!? GEEEZ!
Old 07-11-2008, 01:17 PM

its hard to explain what im thinking....but what im shootin for is something to the effect of all the unburnt exhaust gases/unsafe gases coming from the motor arent being baked into a more clean gas so basically i would imagine it would cause the rear o2 to throw a rich code
Old 07-11-2008, 01:20 PM
I'm too JDM for you

nothing is wrong with running it that way...the stock downpipe just sounds like **** when you cut out the cat and place in a straight pipe. get an aftermarket downpipe, you will be much happier
Old 07-11-2008, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZIN07SS
nothing is wrong with running it that way...the stock downpipe just sounds like **** when you cut out the cat and place in a straight pipe. get an aftermarket downpipe, you will be much happier
that it in my future for sure. this is just temporary so i can drive it. Yea i know it sounds like **** but since i still have a stock catback it shouldnt sound too bad haha thanks man

its hard to explain what im thinking....but what im shootin for is something to the effect of all the unburnt exhaust gases/unsafe gases coming from the motor arent being baked into a more clean gas so basically i would imagine it would cause the rear o2 to throw a rich code
well that is interesting. can anyone else back this up? thanks for the advice

Cut the cat out. YES you WILL get a CEL. Got to auto zone and ask for some anitfoulers to get rid of the CEL. Wont need to tune it, wont run any different. NOW, can we finally get a lil picsorban on the 3rd chick!? GEEEZ!
pics will come ASAP straight to your PM i just have to get them first lol

so i am cool to do this? lol

Last edited by SSCobalt~SSZ24; 07-11-2008 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-11-2008, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by SSCobalt~SSZ24
that it in my future for sure. this is just temporary so i can drive it. Yea i know it sounds like **** but since i still have a stock catback it shouldnt sound too bad haha thanks man

well that is interesting. can anyone else back this up? thanks for the advice

so i am cool to do this? lol
Yes! Im gonna hold you to ur lil promise!!!
Old 07-11-2008, 02:51 PM

I'm with him...PICS OR BAN!!! LOL

On a side not I don't thin it will throw a rich code it will just throw a code saying the cat is malfunctioning. There is something you can buy that you can plug into the plug for the rear O2 sensor that will full the computer into thinking the rear O2 sensor is working. I know that they had them for the 4th gen Camaros. Check around...
Old 07-11-2008, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tazmanian_Dvl
I'm with him...PICS OR BAN!!! LOL

On a side not I don't thin it will throw a rich code it will just throw a code saying the cat is malfunctioning. There is something you can buy that you can plug into the plug for the rear O2 sensor that will full the computer into thinking the rear O2 sensor is working. I know that they had them for the 4th gen Camaros. Check around...
DAMMIT!!!! THESE ARE CALLED ANTI-FOULERS!!!!!! :g uns::gun s:

****** GUNS BITCH!!!
Old 07-11-2008, 02:55 PM

DAMMIT!!!! THESE ARE CALLED ANTI-FOULERS!!!!!! :g uns::gun s:

****** GUNS BITCH!!!
so i can just get a anti-fouler and put that in place of the O2 and my car will run just fine? hmm cool
Old 07-11-2008, 02:56 PM

LOL I've never heard them referred to as anti-foulers LOL Chill bro!
Old 07-11-2008, 03:01 PM

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showt...hp?t=123634664

how to on anti-fouler/o2 ffix.

just get a pipe made. cut the flanges off the stock DP and get em welded on to another pipe thats more straight through...
Old 07-11-2008, 03:03 PM

LOL I've never heard them referred to as anti-foulers LOL Chill bro!
Yeah man Im just messin. I had said that a few times above. Its all good in the neighborhood. Im just feelin all spunky cuz its friday and I get to leave soon. :
Old 07-11-2008, 03:06 PM

Here. According to their forum one of the universal ones will work with the Cobalts. YOu will probably want to call them and ask them which model you need. Keep in mind you computer MUST think the cat is working to pass emissions inspection. The emissions inspection is done through the computers with OBDII cars.

http://www.o2simulator.com/index.php...ndex&cPath=1_9
Old 07-11-2008, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by jacobmprater
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showt...hp?t=123634664

how to on anti-fouler/o2 ffix.

just get a pipe made. cut the flanges off the stock DP and get em welded on to another pipe thats more straight through...
thanks man
Old 07-11-2008, 03:07 PM

Yeah man Im just messin. I had said that a few times above. Its all good in the neighborhood. Im just feelin all spunky cuz its friday and I get to leave soon. :
I've always referred to tham as O2 Simulators or O2 Sims...
Old 07-11-2008, 03:21 PM

Here. According to their forum one of the universal ones will work with the Cobalts. YOu will probably want to call them and ask them which model you need. Keep in mind you computer MUST think the cat is working to pass emissions inspection. The emissions inspection is done through the computers with OBDII cars.

http://www.o2simulator.com/index.php...ndex&cPath=1_9
i dont need to worry about emissions we dont get checked here

the only thing i am worried about is the car running properly with not cat
Old 07-11-2008, 03:25 PM

I've always referred to tham as O2 Simulators or O2 Sims...
This appears to be something electronic. Im talking about a mechanical piece which basically looks like a deep well socket with threads at both ends. You screw the "socket" into the DP and the O2 sensor into that and it takes the O2 sensor out of the direct line of fire. That little chamber gives the gasses time to normalize (which is what happens in your cat) and causes the O2 sensor to read normally. Anti-foulers FTW.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:27 PM

Hey man as long as you're happy that's all that matters...I just wanted you to know about the emissions thing because it would be my guess that there will be a lot more emissions regulations coming down the road here expecially if Mr. Obama gets in the White House...Just another thing for us gear heads to look forward to...
Old 07-11-2008, 03:34 PM

so the verdict is that it will not effect the performance of my car? i still havent seen a solid answer on this. although the other info you guys are givin me is great

Quick Reply: Need a tuner's advice on exhaust