2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Official Procharger Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by -Jayson-
i would honestly be down with a procharger kit, just keep it simple and cheap. Let the cobalt owners do the tunning and supporting mods, you just supply the hardware.
agreed
Old 06-01-2007, 10:12 PM

Im hoping that the kit will work on both 2.4, 2.2l(with different tuning), and the 2.0l! of course there will be small differences.

as for just hardware:

Im sure that could happen

Last edited by chevytech007; 06-01-2007 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-01-2007, 10:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
man oh man I can't wait till about 2 months from now at the latest... you guys will be able to see what kind of beast a procharged 2.4 is.

and for the record supposedly the red line/ ss/sc make about 150 WHP ( if i remember correctly, someone google it ) sans blower. that would mean that it would put down the same power the 2.4 would put out... however the lsj has a little extra in it to prepare for boost.

I can't wait to get my car procharged ( 2.4+tuning+procharger FTW). If i remember correctly speed mafia had a 2.2 at 212 WHP on a better tune so just think of the possibilities. 10PSI from a procharger should produce as much, if not more power than the m62 at stock 12.5 psi because of the shear velocity of the air..

also the procharger would probably be easier on the motor considering it builds to max boost through the full powerband, unlike the m62 which has max boost around 4K rpm.. which also makes for easier lauches. oh and need I remind you guys who say you should just turbo... it's self contained and is extremely easy to install.

I would be interested in seeing a procharged lsj and if it happens we need to start a club for all procharged cobalts and ions, because I'm sure after the first person gets it set and it works reliably there would be a slew of people who will be interested.. no one wants to be a guinea pig..
Old 06-01-2007, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Area47
i know of countless cars here in kc with ati stuff on them.

at least 75% of them have sent blowers back to get rebuilt
one had 400 miles on it. running 8 psi on a p1.
blamo, puked the bearings and started leaking. f1r's need to be rebuilt a lot, f2r's
i haven't heard anything about the f3 series yet.

i know this because half of the people i run around with have ati's on their cars. four of them are techs there, two of them are sponsored by them. the rest bought em, because the support is local {lenexa is about 10 mins away from downtown kc}

im not bashing, im just throwing this out there
C-1 here, 4000mi+, 10psi, take it to redline every damn day. not a single problem.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by bc3tech
C-1 here, 4000mi+, 10psi, take it to redline every damn day. not a single problem.
oh you had a problem alright! couldnt keep your damn foot off the gas!
Old 06-02-2007, 12:29 AM

thats not a problem its an addiction it's u're fault he developed it anyways kev LOL
Old 06-02-2007, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by elecblue06
man oh man I can't wait till about 2 months from now at the latest... you guys will be able to see what kind of beast a procharged 2.4 is.

and for the record supposedly the red line/ ss/sc make about 150 WHP ( if i remember correctly, someone google it ) sans blower. that would mean that it would put down the same power the 2.4 would put out... however the lsj has a little extra in it to prepare for boost.

I can't wait to get my car procharged ( 2.4+tuning+procharger FTW). If i remember correctly speed mafia had a 2.2 at 212 WHP on a better tune so just think of the possibilities. 10PSI from a procharger should produce as much, if not more power than the m62 at stock 12.5 psi because of the shear velocity of the air..

also the procharger would probably be easier on the motor considering it builds to max boost through the full powerband, unlike the m62 which has max boost around 4K rpm.. which also makes for easier lauches. oh and need I remind you guys who say you should just turbo... it's self contained and is extremely easy to install.

I would be interested in seeing a procharged lsj and if it happens we need to start a club for all procharged cobalts and ions, because I'm sure after the first person gets it set and it works reliably there would be a slew of people who will be interested.. no one wants to be a guinea pig..
I agree. If the setup produces suprising numbers, I believe it will be very popular and effective.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:56 AM

based on bc3techs 58% efficiency on a bad piggy back tune a 2.4 should get around 237 HP on the stock kit and no other mods. As it is the injector swap and tune mod for the 2.4s can yield up to 15 HP. that means you can be pushing out close to 250 Hp which is about Stage 2 territory and you haven't even started tapping the potential of the blower. A procharged 2.4 or 2.0 for that matter should be able to break the 300 Hp mark with some engine work and a 3" pulley that be a monster with alot more room to grow
Old 06-02-2007, 02:07 AM

based on bc3techs 58% efficiency on a bad piggy back tune a 2.4 should get around 237 HP on the stock kit and no other mods. As it is the injector swap and tune mod for the 2.4s can yield up to 15 HP. that means you can be pushing out close to 250 Hp which is about Stage 2 territory and you haven't even started tapping the potential of the blower. A procharged 2.4 or 2.0 for that matter should be able to break the 300 Hp mark with some engine work and a 3" pulley that be a monster with alot more room to grow
Thats the idea...i design kits so there is always room to grow not max it out with a pulley and exhaust and tune...i am talking with full internals and smallest pulley we are pushing 500whp! now thats a street car!
Old 06-02-2007, 02:46 AM

kev don't do that... u're gonna make me ****/and juice my paints if my cars going to have that kinda potential... lol
Old 06-02-2007, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Speed Mafia
Thats the idea...i design kits so there is always room to grow not max it out with a pulley and exhaust and tune...i am talking with full internals and smallest pulley we are pushing 500whp! now thats a street car!

yea thats going to be my car
Old 06-02-2007, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Speed Mafia
oh you had a problem alright! couldnt keep your damn foot off the gas!
got me there
thats not a problem its an addiction it's u're fault he developed it anyways kev LOL
yes! yes he's right! i demand you pay for my new engine under warranty! ROFL....
Old 06-02-2007, 10:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chevytech007
How many people would be interested in a bolt on procharger c1 kit? I have been talking to a guy at speedmafia.com and we are working on it right now. But im just looking for opinions. If you go to his website you can see the set-up for the 2.2l ion and it looks good. he said they made 190whp on a untuned 2.2L @ 10 psi. But I think It would be awsome to do it on a 2.0l. So, tell me what you think!
I'm sure a procharger would be a nice addition but I would honestly look for another example of it's "performance". 190 WHP is not something to brag about just cause it was "untuned".

I'm suprised bc3tech didn't tell you guys what happened to his "untuned" motor...
Old 06-02-2007, 10:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well, that's a big jump from stock powerwise... but i think the 2.2's fuel system wouldn't keep up with that easily.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by joeworkstoohard
well, that's a big jump from stock powerwise... but i think the 2.2's fuel system wouldn't keep up with that easily.
Besides the injectors being changed, the fuel system is fine.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by NJHK
Besides the injectors being changed, the fuel system is fine.
yeah, the pump and so forth, but i was under the impression that the MAF on the 2.2s would freak out once you got significantly above nominal air pressure.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:46 PM

yeah, the pump and so forth, but i was under the impression that the MAF on the 2.2s would freak out once you got significantly above nominal air pressure.
Nope. Remember, MAF measure incoming air, not air pressure...that's the job of a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) Sensor.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by NJHK
Nope. Remember, MAF measure incoming air, not air pressure...that's the job of a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) Sensor.
granted, i was just thinking that it couldn't deal with that volume of air. this is ONLY based on what i had read, i obviously have never even worked on a 2.2.

on that note, i still don't think i'd add a blower without some way to monitor and tune it, but if is half as effective as being claimed, i think it has potential.

in the case of a 2.4, if it put down 200WHP & 190ft/lbs with stock internals and only larger injectors and some dyno time to make it work, that's a bargain
Old 06-02-2007, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jackalope
No no guys you mis understand why I said that. Not that the 2.0 can't handle more cause we all know it can but if they put the SAME amount of boost into your 2.0's that they did the 2.2 then yes it would make less power. The whole displacement thing guys.

True they could pump up the boost for the 2.0 and make gobs more power but I was refering to the 10psi part.

Not hating on your 2.0's guys really.
not to mention the 2.2l has 10:1 compression.....a centrifigal blower builds significant boost much later than the roots type, so IMO there would be a lag in acceleration throughout lower RPMs in comparison to the stock characteristics, so not sure if it will work best for us having a short stroke motor.. The 2.4 guys would likely benefit greater because the longer stroke may help make up for the late boost...now if our 2.0l was configured for lets say 7500+ rpms then having later boost would be beneficial because we'd have a longer power band and because boost comes a little later perhaps wheel hop would be less of a problem..guess there are a few different ways of reasoning to guess the outcome...anyone else agree?? I am interested though
Old 06-02-2007, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by BLKblurr06
not to mention the 2.2l has 10:1 compression.....a centrifigal blower builds significant boost much later than the roots type, so IMO there would be a lag in acceleration throughout lower RPMs in comparison to the stock characteristics, so not sure if it will work best for us having a short stroke motor.. The 2.4 guys would likely benefit greater because the longer stroke may help make up for the late boost...now if our 2.0l was configured for lets say 7500+ rpms then having later boost would be beneficial because we'd have a longer power band and because boost comes a little later perhaps wheel hop would be less of a problem..guess there are a few different ways of reasoning to guess the outcome...anyone else agree?? I am interested though
If someone expected to just simply strap on the procharger and go without doing anything then yes. You would have to make changes to extract all that a centrifugal blower has to offer. Keep in mind that this is the case with a turbo and to some extent, a twin screw as well. There are many changes you could make to utilize the characteristics of a centrifugal blower.

Edit: It's not as if we are forced to deal with the way the compressor creates boost. You have to use the proper size as well as the proper sized pulley. The power wouldn't be linear like with the roots, but that's not necessarily a limiting factor, just a difference. However, centrifugals aren't the best solution. They don't provide low end boost so there are better options, but it would work if set up right. Like I said, I will just be interested to see how it goes.

Last edited by Mikey851; 06-03-2007 at 12:38 AM.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:23 AM

granted, i was just thinking that it couldn't deal with that volume of air. this is ONLY based on what i had read, i obviously have never even worked on a 2.2.

on that note, i still don't think i'd add a blower without some way to monitor and tune it, but if is half as effective as being claimed, i think it has potential.

in the case of a 2.4, if it put down 200WHP & 190ft/lbs with stock internals and only larger injectors and some dyno time to make it work, that's a bargain
the computer would freak out not the sensor, a tune would solve this, the fuel system as stated above would be fine with bigger injectors
Old 06-03-2007, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by BLKblurr06
the computer would freak out not the sensor, a tune would solve this, the fuel system as stated above would be fine with bigger injectors
See here is the beauty of the SS/SC...it is built for boost...that alone is going to be sweet and there is tuning....

With BC3Tech he ran fine for along time...till he changed his tune and RAN MORE BOOST...i believe if he would of kept his current setup the same he would still be fine but there is a huge difference between...10psi at redline and i believe he was making 10psi at 4K or something crazy...and then not having the ability of not pulling timing and adding fuel as needed but his car in a bad situation...BC3TECH will tell you that he didnt have problems and he would do WOT pulls everyday on his 2.2L...

But we are talking about a 2.0 w/tuning is a whole different animal! i am excited
Old 06-03-2007, 11:57 AM

A twin screw would make more power than this right? I think id rather just go for that.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:17 PM

Find a way to mount the procharger, remove LSJ manifold and air-water system (removes the need for adapter plates), strap on an air-air, saab manifold and throttle body and you would have a lot less fabrication than a turbo setup fo sho.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by PolishPauL
A twin screw would make more power than this right? I think id rather just go for that.
yes, twin screw and TVS would make comparable high-end boost, but make more boost earlier than a procharger. Procharger may be better for us because of our stupid 1st gear being to close of a ratio..the later boost may actually help us..

Quick Reply: Official Procharger Build Thread