2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Official Procharger Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much are cost estimated to be for the setup. procharger kits for your smaller displacement engines are up there$. max boost is 24psi for that model; if i read prochargers info correctly. boost would be on tap instantly and the kits are very dependable, but for money like that you could have a nice tubo setup capable of alot more boost. more overall power and with the "right turbo" boost would still be there quickly. of course there are more things you could do if you wanted to get her to spool faster... IF A PROCHARGER SETUP WAS CHEAP ENOUGH I'D BE IN!
Old 06-03-2007, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by BLKblurr06
yes, twin screw and TVS would make comparable high-end boost, but make more boost earlier than a procharger. Procharger may be better for us because of our stupid 1st gear being to close of a ratio..the later boost may actually help us..
You can just restrict boost in first gear with HPTuners. I think the TVS would be the best choice outta all of them. I probly wont get a new supercharger for another two to three years so i have some time to see what happens with all of these different options.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:02 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Witt
Find a way to mount the procharger, remove LSJ manifold and air-water system (removes the need for adapter plates), strap on an air-air, saab manifold and throttle body and you would have a lot less fabrication than a turbo setup fo sho.
Gotta agree with WITT, the supercharger,manifold, intercooler setup is worth more being sold as a unit to help fund the project.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:41 PM

I think using the saab parts would be great but The cost wouldnt be the same. Just make an adaptor(it wont cost that much) and bolt your throttle body to it. No need to remove the intake manifold or anything for the cooler. I think it just makes it easier to install.

The intercooler on some systems cost big bucks!!
and using the factory intercooler allows for easy pipe installation.
Just my 2 cents
Old 06-03-2007, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by chevytech007
I think using the saab parts would be great but The cost wouldnt be the same. Just make an adaptor(it wont cost that much) and bolt your throttle body to it. No need to remove the intake manifold or anything for the cooler. I think it just makes it easier to install.

The intercooler on some systems cost big bucks!!
and using the factory intercooler allows for easy pipe installation.
Just my 2 cents
Not to mention, since centrifugals are notorious for lag (especially on such a small engine that can't hardly do 1 push up by itself) the less pipe you can use the better because longer piping causes a pressure drop. Not that it's that big of a deal but every little bit counts. There are alot of different ways to look at this.

Our approach to the Cobalt and how to drive it would have to change with this setup.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:56 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by Mikey851
Not to mention, since centrifugals are notorious for lag (especially on such a small engine that can't hardly do 1 push up by itself) the less pipe you can use the better because longer piping causes a pressure drop. Not that it's that big of a deal but every little bit counts. There are alot of different ways to look at this.

Our approach to the Cobalt and how to drive it would have to change with this setup.
yeah that too
Old 06-03-2007, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey851

Then run a diverter valve after the head unit or something, to limit the boost to say 19, then use a pulley that makes the highest amount of boost you can without overspinning the blower...that way you are not taking the engine to its limits power-wise and you won't have to worry about the pistons going, but you would have the benefits of a centri, making boost quicker than you would if you just ran a pulley that would give you 19 psi. It's complicated, but it can be done.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:42 PM

I think the top end pull will make you forget about any lag
Old 06-03-2007, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
plus it's not really "lag" per-say as much as a gradual build till redline
Old 06-03-2007, 10:57 PM

best way to describe a prochargers power is...if you have ever been on a dirt/street bike and you are at a mid rpm in lets say 2nd gear and you hammer it...you know the feeling of the POWER BAND...yep you punch it and power is there but as the rpm goes up so does the power very aggressive and smooth...which in turns you get good traction through the whole rpm range.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:07 PM

Oh trust me guys, I love centrifugals and my friend had one on his G35 and the thing pulled. What I was talking about was not the "lag" of the procharger, but the "lag" of the engine. Our engine is designed to make power using boost and without it, it has a hard time getting up to speed.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread there are MANY things you could do to combat this fact and use the centri to it's top potential. For example what 8cd03gro said as far as using a diverter valve and smaller pulley; that is along the lines of what I'm talking about. There are ways to get around it's downfalls and use it's positives.

All my point was, if you simply strap the procharger on your car and do not make any other adjustment, not even increasing redline slightly, then you would be disappointed because you wouldn't be unleashing it's true power. See what I'm saying?
Old 06-03-2007, 11:24 PM

Procharger FTW in my book

good dig traction and nice power throughout the whole power band

Last edited by elecblue06; 06-03-2007 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-03-2007, 11:26 PM

you could go vortech too...probably a bit less power, but still a great product and better customer service. Plus vortech's usually tap the oil pan, and are somewhat more reliable. Lotsa ways to do this.

Originally Posted by elecblue06
Procharger FTW in my book

good dig traction and nice power throughout the whole power band
you won't get good dig traction haha. You are still gonna be making more torque than you are with the eaton, just a BIT later in the rpm range...you may hook for half a second but you will spin spin spin all the way through second unless you have major traction mods and some sticky tires. I'd advise anyone planning to switch to another form of forced induction to start working on their suspension big time right now.

Last edited by 8cd03gro; 06-03-2007 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-03-2007, 11:35 PM

if you're gonna tap the oil pan why not just go turbo? thats what i've always wondered...
Old 06-04-2007, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by 8cd03gro
you could go vortech too...probably a bit less power, but still a great product and better customer service. Plus vortech's usually tap the oil pan, and are somewhat more reliable. Lotsa ways to do this.

you won't get good dig traction haha. You are still gonna be making more torque than you are with the eaton, just a BIT later in the rpm range...you may hook for half a second but you will spin spin spin all the way through second unless you have major traction mods and some sticky tires. I'd advise anyone planning to switch to another form of forced induction to start working on their suspension big time right now.
Yeah; because for one thing with this setup you will need to launch at a higher rpm so that you get some of the boost built up. I will say that's one thing I like about the centrifugal is that you don't need engine load (like on a turbo) to build boost, if it's spinning it's building boost.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by NJHK
I'm sure a procharger would be a nice addition but I would honestly look for another example of it's "performance". 190 WHP is not something to brag about just cause it was "untuned".

I'm suprised bc3tech didn't tell you guys what happened to his "untuned" motor...
ugh i was loathing your first post in here.
Originally Posted by Speed Mafia
With BC3Tech he ran fine for along time...till he changed his tune and RAN MORE BOOST...i believe if he would of kept his current setup the same he would still be fine but there is a huge difference between...10psi at redline and i believe he was making 10psi at 4K or something crazy...and then not having the ability of not pulling timing and adding fuel as needed but his car in a bad situation...BC3TECH will tell you that he didnt have problems and he would do WOT pulls everyday on his 2.2L...
yes i was doing 10psi at about 3800 when i swapped the pulley. i put larger injectors in and wasn't able to get the SAFC to do what it needed to during partial throttle. i ended up with a rich detonation and blew the **** out of the engine.

i do not feel this is relevent to the reliability of a procharger or the 2.2 in any way - and, it's not. prior to this, i have a 1.5mi drive to work every day and wanted to feel that pull all the time - i boosted to 8-10psi at least once every single day on the onramp to the highway.
funny - i never spun all the way THROUGH a gear - i broke the tires loose at the top of the gears, when RPMs are highest and the procharger's boosting the most. you driven a procharged car before?
Old 06-04-2007, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by bc3tech
ugh i was loathing your first post in here.
yes i was doing 10psi at about 3800 when i swapped the pulley. i put larger injectors in and wasn't able to get the SAFC to do what it needed to during partial throttle. i ended up with a rich detonation and blew the **** out of the engine.

i do not feel this is relevent to the reliability of a procharger or the 2.2 in any way - and, it's not. prior to this, i have a 1.5mi drive to work every day and wanted to feel that pull all the time - i boosted to 8-10psi at least once every single day on the onramp to the highway.

funny - i never spun all the way THROUGH a gear - i broke the tires loose at the top of the gears, when RPMs are highest and the procharger's boosting the most. you driven a procharged car before?
you were driving a 2.2 with less whp than an ss/sc is making stock. I was talking about an ss/sc with a procharger running high teens/low 20's in boost...probably break the 300whp mark with that and spin the **** out of first an second. And why yes i have.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:18 PM

you were driving a 2.2 with less whp than an ss/sc is making stock. I was talking about an ss/sc with a procharger running high teens/low 20's in boost...probably break the 300whp mark with that and spin the **** out of first an second. And why yes i have.
thats the game plan 300+

UPDATE: Mock up blower w/pulley has been ordered...should be here in a couple of days...more to come!

Last edited by Speed Mafia; 06-04-2007 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-04-2007, 02:33 PM

thats the game plan 300+

UPDATE: Mock up blower w/pulley has been ordered...should be here in a couple of days...more to come!
good to hear , hopefully this progresses a little better than some other "swapping" projects have.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by cobi
good to hear , hopefully this progresses a little better than some other "swapping" projects have.
We are shooting to have this done by the end of this month...
Old 06-04-2007, 03:00 PM

We are shooting to have this done by the end of this month...
whaaaaaat??????? The entire project by the end of the month or just the mock up????? Have you guys thought about supporting mods as well if you decide to sell this as a kit??

Thats awesome if you can stay pretty close to that deadline, it will gain attention from a lot of people.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:23 PM

whaaaaaat??????? The entire project by the end of the month or just the mock up????? Have you guys thought about supporting mods as well if you decide to sell this as a kit??

Thats awesome if you can stay pretty close to that deadline, it will gain attention from a lot of people.
sorry i should of restated this...whole project done by the end of this month...again this depends on tuning and such but the kit itself should not take that long...so if there is others that are sweet at tuning then the kit will be available for purchase... and yes that would be the whole kit by the end of this month

Also what do you mean by supporting mods???
Old 06-04-2007, 03:32 PM

sorry i should of restated this...whole project done by the end of this month...again this depends on tuning and such but the kit itself should not take that long...so if there is others that are sweet at tuning then the kit will be available for purchase... and yes that would be the whole kit by the end of this month

Also what do you mean by supporting mods???
well mainly if it gets close to the 300hp mark and depending on how much boost things like pistons, head studs, head gasket, etc..... Those are just a few examples off the top of my head but you get the idea, mods that keep the new power safe.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:35 PM

well mainly if it gets close to the 300hp mark and depending on how much boost things like pistons, head studs, head gasket, etc..... Those are just a few examples off the top of my head but you get the idea, mods that keep the new power safe.
you will likely keep the stock internals longer etc with the centri than the roots. The centris deliver power extremely smoothly, unlike a turbo or a roots blower, where power just bursts in all at once. This causes less strain on the drivetrain at a given power level. Personally, i beleive it is turbo or centri all the way...
Old 06-04-2007, 03:47 PM

you will likely keep the stock internals longer etc with the centri than the roots. The centris deliver power extremely smoothly, unlike a turbo or a roots blower, where power just bursts in all at once. This causes less strain on the drivetrain at a given power level. Personally, i beleive it is turbo or centri all the way...
interesting, but depednding on what numbers this things puts out things like the head gasket and studs may be needed. Also I dont imagine centri's produce much heat especially not like the Heaton but what about cooling mods???

And regardless of how the power is delivered if the pistons are only rated for a certain hp they're only rated for a certain hp and getting anywhere over 300whp I'd def look at replacing them if it was my car, granted even though the problem seems to lie in the fuel system.

Just food for thought......

Quick Reply: Official Procharger Build Thread