2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Official Twin Screw build

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 02:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Do you think a turbo kit will not require the same upgrades?
Upgrades for power need supporting mods, no matter the method you use. A bigger blower or a turbo will both produce more power, and stock parts will not be able to handle that. Welcome to the world of aftermarket performance.
no **** sherlock, but just because the blower is a twinscrew design doesnt mean it doesnt rob HP from the engine, a turbo swap running the same CFM of air would still yield much more HP. Not to mention a turbo kit can easily be pieced together for around 1500 dollars.

All im saying is a twinscrew swap is a waste of money if you want HP, its as simple as that. Twinscrew is cool to say you have and yes it will be more powerful. But who is really thinks its a good idea to spend 3,000+ dollars to say they have a twinscrew, when someone else spends 3,000 dollars has a turbo and a car thats a second faster in the 1320?

I also honestly think Mase is going to lose money. He has to much faith in the domestic tuner market. Domestic owners whine and cry for new parts, then when they get them they whine and cry about the price. We drive GM econobox racer because lets face it, most of us couldnt afford a GTO, Vette, Mustang GT, Evo, STi, WRX, or insert more expensive performance car. I doubt theres many poeple on here would honestly pass up any of those cars there for our Econobox racer.

I dont see many more being sold than what was preordered.

Just for ***** and giggles, lets do a quick list here.

Add your name here if you already paid and preorderd Tags Twinscrew kit

Add your name here if you "Plan" a Tag twinscrew kit within a year of it coming out

Old 05-27-2007, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by -Jayson-
uhh why am i the only one that sees this as a huge waste of money. I was honestly hoping you could get the twinscrew swap for around 1500. Which would be a very acceptable, but 3000 is just a bit much. I could also see a high end of 2,000 dollars. But for 3,000 dollars i honestly dont see this as being worth it. To many people here still dont see the inherit downfall of superchargers. I really wouldnt put a price on this kit untill you get some actual performance numbers. Cause for 3,000 dollars this kit better include a complete fuel system upgrade as well. Cause no way in hell the stock system is going to work with the mentioned 320WHP. The fuel pump wont be able to handle that and i believe the flaws in the stock fuel rail will cause alot of blown piston rings #4 cylinder as well as other boomers.

This kit isnt going to cost 3,000 dollars to run, its going to cost alot more. Assuming the kit only comes with this
-Charger and all related hardware
-60lb injectors and wiring harness
-Tune by Tag

Now here are some other parts i believe you will need to run this kit
-Clutch
-Bigger Fuel Pump
-Custom Tune
-Bigger Fuel Rail
-Start worrying about 3rd gear in the trans
-Axles-wheel hop is a bitch
-Some major stiffening of the front end, if you think wheel hop is bad now, with 320WHP your going to be hoping into every gear unless your have a strong solid front end.

To many of you guys are way over excitited, i know whats going to happen. Tag is going to release this kit and only a handful of people are going to buy it. Lets face it, most people on here dont have 5,000-6,000 dollars to spend or the knowledge to install this kit properly. Theres going to be blown engines.

Mase i honestly think you should rethink the performance numbers and price ranges for this. I think you should drop the HP to around 270-280WHP drop the price by about a grand and you will be alot better off. I know you have alot of people drooling over this kit, but most of the people drooling are just doing that, drooling. Most of them will wish and wish and wish they could get this kit, but wont. Usually the people who are going to spend this kinda money on there car, are just going to go turbo and are smart enough to go turbo. Im sure your Kit is going to make one mean as hell ride, but when it comes to power and spending money on it, turbos always beat blowers.

But good luck with your project, id still love to see this come into production and i cant wait to see some performance numbers.
I was under the impression that the lysholm supercharger being used in the project cost $1500 alone. Therefore, I don't see how the price for the custom snout, meth plate, intake manifold, and other hardware and tuning could possibly be made for $2000. You gotta pay to play.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:50 PM

I agree with you there. I don't see more than 5 at the most being sold other than the guys that pre-ordered. Look at their Turbo kit, I don't believe they sold 1 so far other than the test guy. They also jacked the price up on that as well.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:56 PM

You mine as well say bye to Tag
Old 05-27-2007, 03:01 PM

This guy is trying to give some aftermarket support and all you guys give me **** about it. At least someone is doing something to help with our blower that is holding us back.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:13 PM

Add your name here if you "Plan" a Tag twinscrew kit within a year of it coming out

1. Omega_5

I didn't get in on the original deal because I knew this would be a long wait. Also, I'd like to see a few in action before buying one. I'm also going to assume that I'm not the only one who doesn't want to be a test subject, but have the twin screw in their plans.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:25 PM

no **** sherlock, but just because the blower is a twinscrew design doesnt mean it doesnt rob HP from the engine, a turbo swap running the same CFM of air would still yield much more HP. Not to mention a turbo kit can easily be pieced together for around 1500 dollars.

All im saying is a twinscrew swap is a waste of money if you want HP, its as simple as that. Twinscrew is cool to say you have and yes it will be more powerful. But who is really thinks its a good idea to spend 3,000+ dollars to say they have a twinscrew, when someone else spends 3,000 dollars has a turbo and a car thats a second faster in the 1320?

I also honestly think Mase is going to lose money. He has to much faith in the domestic tuner market. Domestic owners whine and cry for new parts, then when they get them they whine and cry about the price. We drive GM econobox racer because lets face it, most of us couldnt afford a GTO, Vette, Mustang GT, Evo, STi, WRX, or insert more expensive performance car. I doubt theres many poeple on here would honestly pass up any of those cars there for our Econobox racer.

I want a blower because everyone and their grandma has a turbo. There are so many cars that have them. Poeple want a blower because of the power band, sound, less chance that you can have a problem such as a boost leak.

If you can piece together a turbo kit for 1500 do it, and stop ranting here. Sounds like you don't have enough money and you are pissed. Most people wouldn't know how to begin fabbing a kit let alone tuning it. The blower swap looks like it's bolt on and can be done with hand tools.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:03 PM

uhh why am i the only one that sees this as a huge waste of money. I was honestly hoping you could get the twinscrew swap for around 1500. Which would be a very acceptable, but 3000 is just a bit much. I could also see a high end of 2,000 dollars. But for 3,000 dollars i honestly dont see this as being worth it. To many people here still dont see the inherit downfall of superchargers. I really wouldnt put a price on this kit untill you get some actual performance numbers. Cause for 3,000 dollars this kit better include a complete fuel system upgrade as well. Cause no way in hell the stock system is going to work with the mentioned 320WHP. The fuel pump wont be able to handle that and i believe the flaws in the stock fuel rail will cause alot of blown piston rings #4 cylinder as well as other boomers.

This kit isnt going to cost 3,000 dollars to run, its going to cost alot more. Assuming the kit only comes with this
-Charger and all related hardware
-60lb injectors and wiring harness
-Tune by Tag

Now here are some other parts i believe you will need to run this kit
-Clutch
-Bigger Fuel Pump
-Custom Tune
-Bigger Fuel Rail
-Start worrying about 3rd gear in the trans
-Axles-wheel hop is a bitch
-Some major stiffening of the front end, if you think wheel hop is bad now, with 320WHP your going to be hoping into every gear unless your have a strong solid front end.

To many of you guys are way over excitited, i know whats going to happen. Tag is going to release this kit and only a handful of people are going to buy it. Lets face it, most people on here dont have 5,000-6,000 dollars to spend or the knowledge to install this kit properly. Theres going to be blown engines.

Mase i honestly think you should rethink the performance numbers and price ranges for this. I think you should drop the HP to around 270-280WHP drop the price by about a grand and you will be alot better off. I know you have alot of people drooling over this kit, but most of the people drooling are just doing that, drooling. Most of them will wish and wish and wish they could get this kit, but wont. Usually the people who are going to spend this kinda money on there car, are just going to go turbo and are smart enough to go turbo. Im sure your Kit is going to make one mean as hell ride, but when it comes to power and spending money on it, turbos always beat blowers.

But good luck with your project, id still love to see this come into production and i cant wait to see some performance numbers.
I'm going to have to agree with this post. The setup will probably turn out bad ass, but the price range is that of someone who's goal is outright speed. That person will go turbo unless they are just trying to be unique.

I'm seriously not trying to knock the kit at all. I would like to see a full setup by TAG just like the one mentioned in this thread; but, on top of that if you guys could just make available the hardware to fit the twin screw I think some people would be interested in that, or maybe I'm wrong.

Originally Posted by Smarty Art
I want a blower because everyone and their grandma has a turbo. There are so many cars that have them. Poeple want a blower because of the power band, sound, less chance that you can have a problem such as a boost leak.

If you can piece together a turbo kit for 1500 do it, and stop ranting here. Sounds like you don't have enough money and you are pissed. Most people wouldn't know how to begin fabbing a kit let alone tuning it. The blower swap looks like it's bolt on and can be done with hand tools.
I also see your point, but in this case Jayson is actually just speaking the truth, not ranting. He's giving the kit credit and saying that it will probably be really nice. I don't know how many people will buy this kit and I don't want to make assumptions. IMO, like I said above if the mounting hardware is made available by itself then I believe some more people may partake. I'm not saying that will make for a better kit, because it won't; just think about all of the people on the forum that already have 60s, HP Tuners etc. etc. who may just want the ability to swap the blower.

Edit: Trust me if I had the money I would be interested in the kit; I like the fact that the Cobalt is supercharged, it's unique.

Last edited by Mikey851; 05-27-2007 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-27-2007, 04:23 PM

yea, you make a valid point and nobody can argue with you on "power"... however.. you have to also realize people want different things because we each use our vehicles different but we have a common bond of wanting to mod the coby. I would love to have a turbo car.. but the feasibility of this is realistically 0%.. i can wish and want all i want but a twinscrew is something i could/would buy on a dime. Its a more owner friendly piece to work with and maintain.. i dont want stress over the car.. i have a hot rod, this is just my little DD toy.. i want simple/easy/bolt on and go.. which a twinscrew swap is compared to a turbo converion.. It all just depends on what you want.. have you ever had a card-board box wing? nope.. well neither have i.. but they are out there..

personally i feel if this is done geniually right a good chunk of change can be made.. i would buy this.. but not instantly.. i like to sit and watch how things are once a piece is added. And no matter who has done anything for our car and how nice its been.. as soon as public received it.. Tuning has been the problem. If this can be primary focus and be dead on.. then there would be many customers.. i mean.. why do you think all these little companys come and go on here... its not the products they sale.. its the ability to tune indivual cars from different elevation/humidity/b.p./etc, there are alot of people on this forum that do not take this in to account enough.. to many uneducated tuners that focus primarily on power only... here is order of our avg vender.

day 1 : hey guys blah blah.. all is love... we are making item x
day 14: item x released, company is held as gods with dynos and people kissing ass so hard its not funny and all bandwagoneirs are on.
day 36: 511xbillion threads on "i blew my **** up from X companys tune" or some ****
day 40: company slowly disappears
day 90: people remember that compnay as a thing of the past.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i honestly think if made right it could make alot of money. But i dont think the path he is taking is going to net him the most money. Hes shooting to high, as a new product he needs to expect it to lose money the first year or so. Thats a given. He should talk to eaton about getting a discount price or something, 1500 dollars is if your buying one from a company, a company buying form eaton can more than likely get them alot cheaper. If he wants to make some money, drop the HP, drop the dual pass intercooler plate, drop the price a bit so its more available to the average joe. Then you sell more, once you start selling more the price can drop further and sell even more. WHy do you think everything for imports is so cheap compared to our cars? because they buy more which reduces the price. I think he should just put out a basic kit, charger and hardware needed to connect it. Sell that kit for 2,000 dollars and let us worry about the rest of it.

If he reduces his work load and puts more on us, he can reduce is production cost and reduce the overall price. More people can and will buy it, he will make more money. He can still offer a deluxe package with all the bells and whistles, people will still buy it. I mean lets face it, how many people here bought GM stage 2, and later upgraded the same parts they paid extra for in the stage 2 kit over the stage 1 kit.

And im not bashing or pissed off cause i cant afford it or whatever you few morons think. Im simply trying to inform people about the kit the good and the bad. It seems like everytime you tell this forum something that isnt good news, they get all pissy.

Like ive said before, i applaud Tag and mases efforts and im sure either way this kit will kick some ass and make some badass cobalts. Im just trying to offer my view of the situation and what i as a customer would be looking for. Every company knows they need customer feedback and input to be successful. I fear with all these people drooling over the kit they arent seeing the real picture and are just seeing what the droolers are saying, the ones who drool and go nuts over, but will never invest a dime into it.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:47 PM

Well... I for one am building an engine for my car and do plan on a big "power adder". Im looking forward to this and the stuff that T.N.T is trying to put together. hundreds of people on here have been waiting and waiting for stuff like this. i have read countless threds on here about people wanting something like this. now, they just need to put their money where there mouth is.
On a side note I cant wait to put a few turbo punks in their place with some good ol' supercharger MUSCLE!. Good job tag and thank you for putting all this work into this I hope it all comes together in the end !
Old 05-27-2007, 11:32 PM

i honestly think if made right it could make alot of money. But i dont think the path he is taking is going to net him the most money. Hes shooting to high, as a new product he needs to expect it to lose money the first year or so. Thats a given. He should talk to eaton about getting a discount price or something, 1500 dollars is if your buying one from a company, a company buying form eaton can more than likely get them alot cheaper. If he wants to make some money, drop the HP, drop the dual pass intercooler plate, drop the price a bit so its more available to the average joe. Then you sell more, once you start selling more the price can drop further and sell even more. WHy do you think everything for imports is so cheap compared to our cars? because they buy more which reduces the price. I think he should just put out a basic kit, charger and hardware needed to connect it. Sell that kit for 2,000 dollars and let us worry about the rest of it.

If he reduces his work load and puts more on us, he can reduce is production cost and reduce the overall price. More people can and will buy it, he will make more money. He can still offer a deluxe package with all the bells and whistles, people will still buy it. I mean lets face it, how many people here bought GM stage 2, and later upgraded the same parts they paid extra for in the stage 2 kit over the stage 1 kit.

And im not bashing or pissed off cause i cant afford it or whatever you few morons think. Im simply trying to inform people about the kit the good and the bad. It seems like everytime you tell this forum something that isnt good news, they get all pissy.

Like ive said before, i applaud Tag and mases efforts and im sure either way this kit will kick some ass and make some badass cobalts. Im just trying to offer my view of the situation and what i as a customer would be looking for. Every company knows they need customer feedback and input to be successful. I fear with all these people drooling over the kit they arent seeing the real picture and are just seeing what the droolers are saying, the ones who drool and go nuts over, but will never invest a dime into it.
Have you ever seen the prices for turbocharger kits for our cars?
Old 05-27-2007, 11:44 PM

oh god here we go again, if anyone wants updates without going through the 150 pages that will compile, go to ontariocobaltclub.com

cheers
Old 05-28-2007, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Mase
oh god here we go again, if anyone wants updates without going through the 150 pages that will compile, go to ontariocobaltclub.com

cheers

Thanks, Thread was good for awhile
Old 05-28-2007, 12:40 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Mase

cheers
Thank you for the link.

Originally Posted by SSMOKEM
Thanks, Thread was good for awhile

x2
Old 05-28-2007, 01:26 AM

3K does not seem like a bad price. I spent 6K putting on a K/B 2.1 I/C on my 04 GT Mustang was it worth it hell ya. What are your guys thoughts on the pistons holding up or is that just an issue with an inadequate fuel system?
Old 05-28-2007, 07:46 AM

damn man theres finally something really good coming out for our cars and theres always somebody trying to put it down, just because is not on your "econobox racing" price range, doesnt mean people wont get it, get over it man, this is probably the best aftermarket product for the ss/sc so far. everybody is waiting for a bigger blower, if people put the cars in 12's with the stock blower, imagine the numbers with a twinscrew?? so MR ECONOBOX, IF YOU DONT LIKE THE TWINSCREW, SCREW YOU
Old 05-28-2007, 08:19 AM

1500 is just for the charger itself, the other 1500 for machined parts and tune not to bad...
Old 05-28-2007, 09:27 AM

Well it all comes down to what you know how to work with and what is it that you want to do with your car. For me I like superchargers and I am looking forward to the twinscrew swap since I know how to work with a supercharger better than turbos. Turbos are to much maintence and for the trouble of having one to me is not worth it. Superchargers are known to be more reliable than turbos and are also more streetable, but still at the end of the day it comes down to what you want. Oh and I own a cobalt for the simple reason that I always wanted to own one. For your information I own a 94 z28 and it was a badas car and loved it to death but times move on and needed something new. As far as econoboxes that is what the ls and lt are for. Also remeber these cars aren't that cheap either. I don't know about you but it seem like you hate your cobalt, and I really don't care all that matters to me is that I love my car and will drive it to the ground just to restore it at the end. This car will last for as long as I can keep it alive.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:21 AM

Jayson, your an idiot period, you obviously have no idea at all what your talking about and I strongly doubt you been in this game very long.

3000 dollars for a kit with this power and potential is quite the bargain, even the GM supercharger kit for the L61 is 2600 and thats much lower quality than what this is with a junk Eaton blower.

If you did any research AT ALL you would see that the whipple chargers are actually more efficient than turbos not to mention the installation of this kit is 10x easier than putting in a turbo and Ive yet to single cobalt ss/sc converted to a turbo here or anywhere else that didnt look like some honda boys swapped hack job, some ppl like style in addition to going fast. Also if you ever actually owned a car that didnt come factory with a turbo and then put one on, you would understand why its not a reliable option.

Turbo kits can be "pieced" together for 1500 but it will also run and look like a "piece" of ****. If your not spending at least 1000 for a turbo and intercooler, your not even close to doing it right, not to mention a quality manifold being needed (ebay doesnt count). From what I have read this setup will be able to go to 29psi? Seems like more than enough to hang with any turbo.

Do you really think that anyone willing to spend 3000 on this kit is going to care much about spending a couple hundred on a clutch? Comes with the Territory, you want to go fast deal with it. The only domestic owner whining about the price and a new part seems to be you.

Wheel Hop? and 3rd gear problems? Where the hell does 3rd gear have to do with anything? Wheel Hop doesnt exist if you mod your car right, the parts are already on the market for this car, read up maybe you will learn not to talk out of your ass.

Why would I want a Mustang Gt?, its slower then the Cobalt stock and certainly slower than a cobalt ss with only the GM parts on it. Evos and Stis are 4 door and ugly and 10-12k more for marginally more performance. GTOs are a ******* joke all it is a 97 grand prix with a V8 theres no GTOish design at all to them. Theres tons of vids on Youtube and every where else of the cobalt taking down those mentioned cars with ease.

But whatever, I dont buy products without first seeing long term results, I want to see dyno numbers, I want to see pics, and I want to know if they last. I dont buy unproven products on a whim, thats why I didnt preorder and its why I read every thread about this.

Mase keep up the good work and doing it right is more important than doing it fast.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:23 AM

i got to go change my pants now
Old 05-28-2007, 11:42 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
Originally Posted by Ljavy17
about 320whp.
And that's just the direct swap with the stock pulley size, right? Drop that beotch down to like a 2.5" and make 450whp ?!
Old 05-28-2007, 11:57 AM

this is exciting!
Old 05-28-2007, 12:02 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
And that's just the direct swap with the stock pulley size, right? Drop that beotch down to like a 2.5" and make 450whp ?!
I was thinking something like that!
Old 05-28-2007, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by cahtr6
3K does not seem like a bad price. I spent 6K putting on a K/B 2.1 I/C on my 04 GT Mustang was it worth it hell ya. What are your guys thoughts on the pistons holding up or is that just an issue with an inadequate fuel system?
How odd, thats the same blower I'm most likely going to use on my Cobalt.

Quick Reply: Official Twin Screw build