2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.
View Poll Results: What style K&N
Straight tube at filter end
51.72%
Curved tube at filter end
48.28%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

People with K&N intakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People with K&N intakes

To any one with a K&N intake, it seems that there are 2 different styles of the K&N. So vote to which one you have, and if you want post when you got the intake.

Mine is the second style recieved, end of march.

First style, straight tube filter end...

Second style, curved filter end...
Old 04-02-2007, 07:16 PM

should be interesting to see these results. I'm still awaiting a response from k&n, but the guy i was talking to seemed unaware that there were two versions. i could be wrong though, we'll see.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:16 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Go with the straight. I'd think it would help the air to get in their in a more 'straight' fashion, and therefore quicker. I am most likely wrong, But thats just me.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:18 PM
Banned

the less bends the better
Old 04-02-2007, 07:25 PM

I have the straight one... hmmph, didn't know there were two!
Old 04-02-2007, 07:29 PM

Is that not the injen intake on top and the K&N on the bottom?
Old 04-02-2007, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Johnboy12358
Is that not the injen intake on top and the K&N on the bottom?
If you are refering to the second pic? Yes, but the first picture shown is a K&N intake installed, (I think it was Zinners car), and others have stated that they have a straight ended K&N intake, and mine is turned at the end like in the second pic. I'm just trying to see how many there seems to be of each.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:40 PM

That first pic... is exactly what mine looks like!
Old 04-02-2007, 09:17 PM

I just bought my K&N from Turbo Tech and i got the one with the slight curve at the end. It fits perfect till the end. Then it fits like ****. Filter is curved down too much. The bracket that is supposed to connect to the body is like 4 inches off. No where even close. I didnt put it on so the only thing holding it on is the rubber coupler at the charger. It is in tight tho, it doesnt move at all. The filter sits too low and was bulging out my inner fender plastic. None of the screws lined up when i was putting the inner fender back on as a result of the filter sitting too low. Then i broke my inner fender. It cracked. Then i got pissed and beat the **** out of the bottom of the inner fender with a hammer in order to get it close enough to screw back in. In retrospect i shouldnt have done that cuz i probably just fucked the filter up. Anyways, yea quality is good, fitment is ****. Let me know what K&N says....
Old 04-02-2007, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by The Sunburst Kid
I just bought my K&N from Turbo Tech and i got the one with the slight curve at the end. It fits perfect till the end. Then it fits like ****. Filter is curved down too much. The bracket that is supposed to connect to the body is like 4 inches off. No where even close. I didnt put it on so the only thing holding it on is the rubber coupler at the charger. It is in tight tho, it doesnt move at all. The filter sits too low and was bulging out my inner fender plastic. None of the screws lined up when i was putting the inner fender back on as a result of the filter sitting too low. Then i broke my inner fender. It cracked. Then i got pissed and beat the **** out of the bottom of the inner fender with a hammer in order to get it close enough to screw back in. In retrospect i shouldnt have done that cuz i probably just fucked the filter up. Anyways, yea quality is good, fitment is ****. Let me know what K&N says....
wow, another person with the bend and bracket problem. this is odd because most of the posts i have read say "K&N fit perfectly". I'm assuming these people have the straight pipe. my K&N install went identically to yours, but i managed to barely replace the splash guard without cracking it. it fits HORRIBLY though.

Guys, the purpose of this poll is not to figure out which style is better, obviously the bent pipe is going to fit oddly and not be as efficient. This poll is to see how many people have the straight style vs bent style (duh ).

here are 2 threads that relate to this topic (psst... sunburst kid, read up)
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...t=wrong+piping

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...switched+injen
Old 04-03-2007, 09:29 AM

Yeah, i had just bought my intake and then your post surfaced and i was like, oh **** mine looks just like that..... Good thing is that i ordered another inner fender and it only cost like 22$ for the whole thing. When i take it all back off, im gonna see if i can bend the intake slightly. If not, i have access to a machine shop (at my work) and ill have them cut the bend off and dimple the end so the filter has something to latch onto.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:12 AM

that's not a bad idea...
does that $22 include new screws and plugs for the inner splash guard?
Old 04-03-2007, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by ReMz
that's not a bad idea...
does that $22 include new screws and plugs for the inner splash guard?
Hmmm.... Im not sure. I didnt think to ask. It should be here tomorrow or thursday. When it comes in ill let you know.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:51 PM

Didn't have any trouble putting mine in. It was a tight fit but doesn't rub on anything (since I have OCD though I check it every couple weeks or so). I just had to put everything together loosely and then tighten it all up afterwards. I'm almost positive that I have the straight end one. I bought it in August 2006.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:43 PM

Remz and Sunburst, did your Z-bracket look like the one n the first picture or was it alot more bent? Because my bracket was a very tight Z, and bolted up to the stock location perfectly. Also as for the overall fit, it did buldge the lower splash guard a little, but not to the extreme that you guys have said.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:10 PM

I just got the K&N intake today. and it is the one with the Slight bend on the end.
Should I even try to put this in, or just wait and see if I can return this one and get the straight one? I just dont want to get frustrated putting this in. This is going to be my first Mod on this car. I just dont wanna screw anything up.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Brian's07SS
I just got the K&N intake today. and it is the one with the Slight bend on the end.
Should I even try to put this in, or just wait and see if I can return this one and get the straight one? I just dont want to get frustrated putting this in. This is going to be my first Mod on this car. I just dont wanna screw anything up.
To tell you the truth I had no major issues installing mine, everything lined up good, and the filter only slightly pushed down on the flat, bottom part of the wheel liner/splash guard.

As far as trading it in for a straight one, when I inquired to K&N about the 2 styles, and some peoples fitment issues with the bent style, their reply was that there was only one style and it was the bent one, so.....
Old 04-03-2007, 07:22 PM

K&N really wasn't aware of the issue. I gathered that I was one of the first people to notice and bring this to their attention based on their latest response. I'll let everyone know how that goes.

Also, I'm starting to think that there are 3 version (or mix-ups). I have heard of and know some people that have the bent piping and say it lined up perfectly and was a "tight" fit.

Sunburst Kid is the only other person I have heard of with this bracket issue.... making me believe I'm not just crazy and it is not an isolated incident.

LightngBalt, my bracket was not a very tight "Z" if i remember correctly. One end was longer than the other. I'll modify that first pic to show you where i had to drill my hole. It was wayyyyyy off.

*edit* somewhere in this vicinity.... moral of the story was that it was not going to work right

*edit2*
oh, and my splash guard is now slightly rubbing on the tire. That's how bad my bulge is.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by ReMz
LightngBalt, my bracket was not a very tight "Z" if i remember correctly. One end was longer than the other. I'll modify that first pic to show you where i had to drill my hole. It was wayyyyyy off.

*edit* somewhere in this vicinity.... moral of the story was that it was not going to work right

*edit2*
oh, and my splash guard is now slightly rubbing on the tire. That's how bad my bulge is.
Thats off by alot. On mine the bracket was pretty uniform, and bent into a pretty tight Z, actually had to use a open end wrench to tighten it up on the stock bolt.

So on yours it actually bulging out the rounded part of the liner? Mine just slightly bowed down the flat part that conneted to the fender and front dam.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:08 PM

yep, mine is bulging the rounded part of the fender
Old 04-03-2007, 08:15 PM

I guess I'll just put everything in and see how it fits...
should be interesting.. will be doing it sometime this week...weather permitting... still not Spring yet in Jersey...
Old 04-03-2007, 09:07 PM

My Z bracket is longer on one end. So i guess that is considered not tight? I couldnt even put my Z bracket on. But if i had to guess, Remz is just about right on if i wanted to tap my own hole for the bracket.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:40 PM

update..... I put mine in today and had a slight fitment issue.. but then I unhooked it from the SC and bolted it from the bottom up and all is well
no bulging no rubbing... sounds AWESOME at WOT.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:55 PM

I have the one with the curved end. no fitment issues except the slight bulge on the bottom.

So chalk me up to that list

I have a side thought and was wondering if any of you have had a CEL, and which style you have.

1.Bent style, no CEL's aprox. 10,000 mile so far

Just trying to see if it was a running production change, because the on strait style the MAF looks closer to the opening than I remember on mine and I'm wondering if it could be related
Old 04-21-2007, 01:42 AM

I have the bent end style K&N and no cel, but i have an S2.

Quick Reply: People with K&N intakes