2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Pistons possibly blew?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 12:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pistons possibly blew?

Ok so ill give the story and then i need your guys input. Last month i put in Stage 2 and got NGK BKR7e 1 Step Colder plugs. Although one of the plugs came loose because they werent torqued down good enough. So it blew the plugs and module apart. Brought it to a dealership away from home because im working with the army and it cost me $559 for tow fee, parts and labour. Before the placed the order for the parts i asked them what type of plugs they are getting me, they said stock. So i told them i needed the 1 Step Colder plugs because the car will run bad. They said ok we will order them but it will cost more. I said fine. So that was that. Havent ran the car hard or even close to hard...barely went into boost at all because of the snow on the ground.

So now into this week...Last week before xmas i brought my car to local dealership at home for a annual inspection. Just to get a check up. They told me the car is running rough when going into boost and the CEL comes on. So xmas day it was nice out, no snow or ice. I went to about 50% throttle in 2nd gear. Car started jerking like crazy and the CEL came on. Which would be the spark plugs misfiring. So the other night i went out, did a small pull and same thing happend. But this time the engine died. Thank god i was only about 100 meters from my apartment because i had to push the car home. 30mins later i got it to fire up. So today I called the dealership that replaced the spark plugs, they are still closed for the holidays. So i went to my local dealership. 3 mechanics argued with me and said NGK are the worse plugs i can put in the car and AC Delco is the best. They said dont ever put NGK in the car. So i said "how come when i had NGK the car ran perfect (until a human factor fucked it up) and the AC Delco is ******* my car up" they said "its the coil, the coil on the plugs is messed up" I said "it was replaced 2 weeks ago...brand new everything"....They said "leave the car here and we will check it, we will only charge you 1hr labour" i said "**** you" and left.

So i went to my mechanics shop that i got dyno/tune done. He found me some NGK BKR7e 1 Step Colder plugs and also told me to get a compression test to see if the pistons were damaged. So i went home, was about to change my plugs and theres oil all over the spark plug bay, the #2 and #3 holes are filled to the top with oil. So does that mean my pistons blew or something?

So i called the local dealership up and told them what happend. They said since its aftermarket its not under warrenty. But they also said they couldnt speak for the other dealership that put my plugs in but if i asked them to put a certain type in and they didnt and it caused the problem they would fix it. So monday im calling them up and freaking out and if they dont fix it for free then its court time.

Anyways any input of what the issue with the oil is would be great...thanks.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe the the mechanics for GM poured oil into your cylinder....wouldnt suprise me
Old 12-27-2008, 01:30 PM

Man i feel horible for ya, i hope its nothing serious.

Keep us posted
Old 12-27-2008, 01:38 PM

Yea I would be pissed if something major ever happens to my motor.
I devote alot of time into it.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:38 PM

just a FYI.
Before you go around yelling and screaming, make sure you understand everything that the shop did. dont go in their yelling about this and that only to find out they did nothing wrong. youll get more out of being calm and polite then acting like an ass-hat.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:41 PM
Banned

+1, yelling and screaming won't get you anywhere and I highly doubt court will either. Dealerships get away with crap all the time, however sometimes they do help out the customer. If the car is still under warranty that will help, however the modifications you have done will be a problem. I am interested to see where this goes.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:49 PM

yea, for whatever lawyer you can afford, even GM and all of its companies that are broker then I am, can still afford better then you can.

Make sure that the other dealer did infact install colder plugs, I didnt really see if you clearly said they did or not. If they did, then you have other problems. If not, then they should eat the cost for the rebuild. Stage 2 wont void your warrenty either.

looking at your mods, your fucked if they find that aftermarket tune

Last edited by DebadgedBALT77; 12-27-2008 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-27-2008, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by DebadgedBALT77
just a FYI.
Before you go around yelling and screaming, make sure you understand everything that the shop did. dont go in their yelling about this and that only to find out they did nothing wrong. youll get more out of being calm and polite then acting like an ass-hat.
Agreed.

What happens is you will forget what one dealer said and the other did and then you look stupid yelling at the wrong guys.

The dealeship that did the original work should know what is going on....
from the original work till now.

The mechanics at the open, 2nd dealership are going to try and make you look bad because your car is modded and has ngk's an, not to many factory techs know alot about retunes and colder plugs and such.

Write down exactly what happened as it happened and leave out the dyno tune guy and the argumentative 2nd dealership.
When monday comes, stay calm and explain what the car is doing and how it happened as best you can.

If you try and explainabout 2nd dealership and the dyno tune and such, all the service writer/manager is going to hear is bla bla bla and its going to throw up the big red flag.

as for the oil and no run situation, I would leave it alone until Monday and let the dealership look at it.
Especially if its under warranty. just my .02
Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:54 PM
Banned

The plugs themselves weren't the issue. Even if they used stock plugs, it wouldn't cause a problem like this. Either they installed them wrong, or there are other issues. It would help to know what the code is. The first step to solving this issue, is getting the code scanned to see what the issue is. Who knows, it could be something totally different you don't even know about.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:56 PM

agreed, but the ylinder filled with oil isnt a good sign. none the less, get the code(s) read, and see what they are.

Id say get flashed back to the regular GM STG2 tune, but that wont do you any good.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:59 PM

oil on top of pistons

sounds like rings are bad,thats the only thing that would cause that.our worse a hole in the piston.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:04 PM

Who put the stage2 and original ngk plugs in?
Old 12-27-2008, 03:47 PM
Banned

Ok so an update. I am a very calm guy when it comes to talking to the dealership. When i say they are going to get an ear full its not like im going to go in there screaming, cuz i agree..that doesnt get you anywheres. To answer some of your questions. The shop i go to for performance parts is the place that did my stage 2 install and i did the spark plugs but i didnt torque them down enough the first time.

Anyways so i decided to give it one more shot and see what is going on. I got rid of most of all the oil but there was still some that i couldnt get without takeing the plug out...soon as i took it out it ran down into the hole. So i cleaned it and put in the new NGK plugs, went for a test drive, did some pulls in 2nd and 3rd. I went smooth and fast. No issues at all it was perfect. Came home, checked the plugs again. about a teaspoon of oil in the chamber. I cant tell if it was what was left from before i took the plug out and it just made its way back up or if its new **** from the piston. So im still going to see what the dealership says and go from there.

As for the lawyer part. I'm in the army and i can get a jag officer to do it for free. Thats what my father suggested...lol he was navy.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Snakes709
Ok so an update. I am a very calm guy when it comes to talking to the dealership. When i say they are going to get an ear full its not like im going to go in there screaming, cuz i agree..that doesnt get you anywheres. To answer some of your questions. The shop i go to for performance parts is the place that did my stage 2 install and i did the spark plugs but i didnt torque them down enough the first time.

Anyways so i decided to give it one more shot and see what is going on. I got rid of most of all the oil but there was still some that i couldnt get without takeing the plug out...soon as i took it out it ran down into the hole. So i cleaned it and put in the new NGK plugs, went for a test drive, did some pulls in 2nd and 3rd. I went smooth and fast. No issues at all it was perfect. Came home, checked the plugs again. about a teaspoon of oil in the chamber. I cant tell if it was what was left from before i took the plug out and it just made its way back up or if its new **** from the piston. So im still going to see what the dealership says and go from there.

As for the lawyer part. I'm in the army and i can get a jag officer to do it for free. Thats what my father suggested...lol he was navy.
of course we all know that not everyone can have access to a lawyer...cuz they are expensive or watever...well i have just thing for anyone that ever gets in a bind....im talking about dealing with speeding tickets, insurance companies or in your case the delearship...its kinda like car insurace...since i do pay a monthly fee...but its well worth it. this low monthly fee i get access to lawyers from the top 10 legal firms...i think its a great investment...think about it this way...almost all of us have health insurace, car insurance and life insurace...what about legal insurace...im sure everyone has some kind of legal problem right now...well let me know if your interested and i can point you in the right direction...not just the OP but who ever is interested...its a great service
Old 12-27-2008, 04:19 PM

Ya, that oil should have burned off, so I guess it's new oil. That sucks.
I would just tell the dealer it started running like **** and you changed the plugs for a "just in case" and found oil in the combustion chamber.
Does it smoke out the tail much?
Old 12-27-2008, 04:21 PM

yea that oil would have burnt off if you ahd been out driving around and doing 2nd and 3rd gear pulls.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:39 PM

OIL ON TOP OF THE PLUG HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RINGS OR PISTONS

now that we've established that... Oil standing in the spark plug hole on top of the plug comes from a leaky valve cover gasket... it lets oil run down into the hole and it has no where to go, so it collects there
Old 12-27-2008, 04:40 PM

i read that wrong. i thought he meant on top of the piston when looking down through.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:41 PM
Banned

its not coming from there its coming from the hole at the bottom of the plug chamber, its coming up, not running down. And i noticed abit of smoke at first then it stopped
Old 12-27-2008, 04:47 PM

ok, so the oil was around the hex of the plug.
and when you pulled the plug the oil went down in.
it burnt off, thats the oil you saw and went away. could be valve covr gasket, or a mechanic being mean.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:47 PM

its not coming from there its coming from the hole at the bottom of the plug chamber, its coming up, not running down. And i noticed abit of smoke at first then it stopped
1) It smoked because you let the oil run down in the cylinder when you changed the plugs..

2) Unless the plus are loose, oil is not coming up around them.. and if they are loose.. your car would be ticking with every stroke of the crank as compressed air/fuel came out around that same plug
Old 12-27-2008, 04:56 PM
Banned

so your saying theres no way the oil can get pushed through the threads of the plug? theres no way for the oil to get down inside from the top, all that is clean, its inside the chamber
Old 12-27-2008, 04:58 PM

I think it has to do with your oil and piston rings. Your oil rings jobs is to scrape the oil in the cylinder left from when the piston reached TDC. So it prolly is broken and is letting oil get through, which is causing ur build up. Which could also cause ur misfires and everything cuz you're getting oil in ur a/f mixture.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:04 PM

so your saying theres no way the oil can get pushed through the threads of the plug? theres no way for the oil to get down inside from the top, all that is clean, its inside the chamber
Well, no, I didn't say there was no way. I Said the only way is if the plug is loose... .. lol..

The oil will be coming from a leak in the valve cover gasket. There's an o-ring (its not exactly round.. but that's not the point) like gasket that seals around the hole the plug sits in. Mine leaked, just exactly as you are describing... Just because you don't see a stream down the side doesn't mean it wasn't leaking when the car was running and then stopped (and ran down the sides so that it appeared there was no trail) when the car is shut off.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:08 PM
Banned

Ok thanks. I'll check and see what i can find. But it doesnt sound like something im going to be good at. But at least its info i can suggest to the mechanics to speed things up. Also can this issue be caused by the AC Delco plugs, since my car requires 1 Step Colder? Is it possibly the temp of the plug fried the oring?

Quick Reply: Pistons possibly blew?