2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Please help: In the Middle of a Brake Job, Can't Get Pads off Rotors (Lip formed)!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 05:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Please help: In the Middle of a Brake Job, Can't Get Pads off Rotors (Lip formed)!

Hi guys,
I know this is in the wrong forum, but I also know that all you guys who added power most likely added better brakes. That's what I am actually doing outside right now, however, when I took off the tires and unbolted the calipers, I couldn't get the damn caliper off the rotor.

It appears the rotor has worn down considerably where the pad makes contact and this has resulted in a lip forming around the outter edge of the rotor. This lip is about 1/8" in depth and as such, I can't pull the caliper off the rotor as the pad gets stuck on this lip.

I am going to get a screw driver, try and put it between the pad and the rotor and compress the piston back a bit. I need some slack between the rotor and the pad to get the caliper off, is there another way to do this without bleeding the brakes? I don't need to bleed them just yet.

Any advice is very much appreciated!
Old 06-30-2011, 05:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by boostbalt
Hi guys,
I know this is in the wrong forum, but I also know that all you guys who added power most likely added better brakes. That's what I am actually doing outside right now, however, when I took off the tires and unbolted the calipers, I couldn't get the damn caliper off the rotor.

It appears the rotor has worn down considerably where the pad makes contact and this has resulted in a lip forming around the outter edge of the rotor. This lip is about 1/8" in depth and as such, I can't pull the caliper off the rotor as the pad gets stuck on this lip.

I am going to get a screw driver, try and put it between the pad and the rotor and compress the piston back a bit. I need some slack between the rotor and the pad to get the caliper off, is there another way to do this without bleeding the brakes? I don't need to bleed them just yet.

Any advice is very much appreciated!
This is what I was thinking
Old 06-30-2011, 06:08 PM

Thanks, I will let you know if it works or not, I don't want to button her back up with the old brakes on!
Old 06-30-2011, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it doesnt take much to get the brake pad back in , insert a flat screwdriver and give it a bit of a twist.try not to pry to hard on anything,just insert and twist it towards you. that should loosen it up a bit for you.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by jefferyss
it doesnt take much to get the brake pad back in , insert a flat screwdriver and give it a bit of a twist.try not to pry to hard on anything,just insert and twist it towards you. that should loosen it up a bit for you.
Thanks, worked ever so easily!
Old 06-30-2011, 06:49 PM

You always have to compress the piston to get the caliper off. I used a c-clamp last week when I did my dads.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X2 on the C-clamp.
On the rear also found easier to start the slider pin bolts first before putting the caliper mounting bolts in
When reinstalling the calipers.
The cables seem to twist it enough to make it hard to start them if you bolt the calipers on first.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by bbrewbaker
You always have to compress the piston to get the caliper off. I used a c-clamp last week when I did my dads.
Yes to a c clamp....but if he can't get the caliper off the rotor because an edge has formed from the pads a screwdriver or pry bar is needed to get the pads to clear the lip on the rotor......then c clamp lol
Old 07-02-2011, 11:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like it's time for new rotors!
Use the C Clamp to fully compress the piston before installing new pads.

I have EBC rotors and pads and they have outlasted the stockers with little wear.

ron