2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

pulling the pulley

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pulling the pulley

how hard is it to get to get the stock pulley off i heard some had problems i know the stock pulley with bend and be ruined but the one guy at the dealler ship said he even broke a pulley puller..so i was just wondering from people doing this them selves if there is anything i can do to make it come off easier i would think if its a little warm it may come off easier...i just don't want to get to it and then have to take to blower to the dealer just to get it off and i don't want to brake the pulley puller...any input will help
Old 06-18-2008, 01:03 PM

Get a few friends to help, shouldnt be to much trouble.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:05 PM

i had to take mine to a machine shop an just press it off....took them a whole 5 mins and didnt damage anything...much easier than screwin with it
Old 06-18-2008, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by LamboW9
i had to take mine to a machine shop an just press it off....took them a whole 5 mins and didnt damage anything...much easier than screwin with it
QFT

With mine, it took a good long while with 2 other people helping me.
But, it CAN be done relatively painlessly if you have enough hands and some patience.
But, given the choice, it would be better to have a machine shop do it.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:44 PM

I got mine done for free compliments of the guys at a local Advance Auto...

Here's what you do... Ask to rent the largest pulley puller they have. You can use that along with an impact wrench to spin it off. I doubt you would ever get it off with a regular wrench or socket, since it's really on there and the shaft spins... Have someone hold the blower, someone hold the pulley puller's jaws (to keep them from spinning or opening), and someone to man the impact wrench. Now be advised this pulley takes a **** ton of force before it finally comes free... To put a hub on the now bare snout, use a power steering pump pulley install tool. I believe the kit I used screwed into the M62 snout with the "Ford" stud that was included. This only will take two people as one person holds the blower and the other person cranks down on the tool with an open ended wrench to slowly push the hub on. The install tool should have a thrust bearing on it so it will not damage the snout, threads, or hub...

The guys at my local Advance Auto Parts were actually soo cool that they took me in the back and the guy used the impact wrench while my buddy and I help the blower and tool. Then I installed the hub right there, and we were ready to go and out the door in ten minutes.

My stock pulley ever soo slightly bent on the inner lip, so if its absolutely imperative that yours not get damaged, it would be wise to get a shop to press it off or use a proper pulley puller with backing plate.

But WTF, why would anyone spend $100 on a tool for a one time use???
Old 06-18-2008, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by csementuh
I got mine done for free compliments of the guys at a local Advance Auto...

Here's what you do... Ask to rent the largest pulley puller they have. You can use that along with an impact wrench to spin it off. I doubt you would ever get it off with a regular wrench or socket, since it's really on there and the shaft spins... Have someone hold the blower, someone hold the pulley puller's jaws (to keep them from spinning or opening), and someone to man the impact wrench. Now be advised this pulley takes a **** ton of force before it finally comes free... To put a hub on the now bare snout, use a power steering pump pulley install tool. I believe the kit I used screwed into the M62 snout with the "Ford" stud that was included. This only will take two people as one person holds the blower and the other person cranks down on the tool with an open ended wrench to slowly push the hub on. The install tool should have a thrust bearing on it so it will not damage the snout, threads, or hub...

The guys at my local Advance Auto Parts were actually soo cool that they took me in the back and the guy used the impact wrench while my buddy and I help the blower and tool. Then I installed the hub right there, and we were ready to go and out the door in ten minutes.

My stock pulley ever soo slightly bent on the inner lip, so if its absolutely imperative that yours not get damaged, it would be wise to get a shop to press it off or use a proper pulley puller with backing plate.

But WTF, why would anyone spend $100 on a tool for a one time use???
I did, though it was only 50.00, and thank god I did because we would have been screwed without it.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hydraulic press FTW!!!
Old 06-18-2008, 03:03 PM

yeap i got a guy to press mine off for 10$ an he even put my hub on also