2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

removing laminovas

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 11:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by qwikredline
gotta wait until Maven and i get together if you want pics.
hey quik, since i really dont know much on the internal design of each laminova core, would it be possible to port the hole on the side with the smaller hole of the laminova? That is clearly the greatest restriction in the system, and doing so would cause the pump to flow a lot better. Im sure the answer is no, or it would have been done...but what is the purpose of having such a small opening?
Old 03-16-2009, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by -Jayson-
Umm yeah im pretty sure the big hole is for inlets and the small hole is for outlets. I have mine setup with the outer two being the big ones and the middle two being the smaller ones. It doesnt make sense to force water through a small hole into a large area, your going to lose a tone of velocity and pressure. I dont even think you could properly bleed the system with a setup like that, i dont think the smaller hole would flow enough fluid to fill up the diamater of the core.

Big holes are for water entry into the cores, small holes are for exit. This causes pressure and velocity in the system.

No it's the other way around the 2 small holes that are in the Middle which is the (in) port & the 2 outer ones with the big hole are the (out) port... I believe this is done because when the water enters the system via the small ports it is cold or colder than when it exits & since the water leaves hotter it needs room to expand.. which is why it exits thru the larger hole, It is also done because you have one 3/4 supply line... suppling 2 cores at the same time! last the cores stay full due to the back pressure created thru out the system....This is why the Option B increases the cap pressure to 14 psi & has a bleeder line involved!
I've been running this system for over 2 years now & never had a problem & I get really good cooling even when it's 95 degrees out & relative Humidity of 80%.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^ while the orientation may be correct, it wouldnt be due to thermal expansion. Water (and most other liquids for that matter) dont really expand when heated. They do, but it expands so marginally, nothing would be built off that premise (at least nothing in a car...)
Old 03-16-2009, 05:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
^^ while the orientation may be correct, it wouldnt be due to thermal expansion. Water (and most other liquids for that matter) dont really expand when heated. They do, but it expands so marginally, nothing would be built off that premise (at least nothing in a car...)
In a open pan of water no it dont... but it does in a closed system, For example if your radiator over heats & there is no relief valve....If you open the cap water, antifreeze would come out in vapour & liguid form very fast to relieve the built up pressure in the closed system this is call Supercritical:
Supercritical water can also be produced by heating it in a closed system under pressure and then allowing it to escape from that system. Doing this in the general direction of a turbine attached to a dynamo can be very useful, Other wise it just burns your face if you get to close. It is a more effective way of delivering energy than allowing the water to boil and then producing a jet of water vapour because the energy density by volume of the water is greater by far than that of the equivalent mass of steam.
Now I have seen intercoolers do this on the stock 5psi pressure cap, I have yet to see 1 option B do this on the 14psi cap...not to say it wont! Do to the water being under higher pressure it's pushed thru the laminovas faster or should we say Higher PSI! It's kinda like taking a bowl of water with a lid & putting it in the Microwave sealed.....before the water boils & steam is developing the lid will crown up due to increased pressure in the Container... the stronger the lid the less crown the lid will have... keep heating it to the boiling point which depends on the PSI the water is under & it will blow the lid off ... Kinda like the increase in caps from stock to Option B!
Since the creation of vapour bubbles requires a force to be exerted against the surface tension of the inner water surface of the new bubble, they, like the bubbles in champagne and Fanta, cannot form without a nucleation point – an imperfection in the container, or a particle floating in the liquid
^^^Now this is the reason we have the bleeder on the option B because it is not perfectly smooth & will create air bubbles thru out the system...plus needless to say you are creating more heat for it to absorb from running smaller pullies... which is why I'm guessing GM increased the cap pressure release to 14psi for stage 3 or smaller pullies do to more latient heat!

Last edited by BlilBT; 03-16-2009 at 06:19 PM.