2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Resonator ?'s.......Ive done search

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Resonator ?'s.......Ive done search

Whats up guys,

I have the magnaflow catback and it sounded great until i added the vibrant header/downpipe. Now it has a raspiness to it. My question is if i was to take the magnaflow resonator off and put 2 in its place will that help? If so, what resonators should i get? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:29 AM

subscribed
Old 07-19-2008, 01:39 AM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
I've heard nothing but good things about the ZZP Whisper resonator.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:09 AM
Banned

LOL....chris your a great guy but you havent read much on the zzp whisper resonator if you have heard only good things about it.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT GOING WITH A ZZP WHISPER RESONATOR!!

ZZP has been having a lot of problems with there products lately, and certain things need to be taken care of. Once they sort these problems out, then go back to them. They are a great vendor, but stay away from there downpipes and there resonators.

Go with a magnaflow resonator and a magnaflow muffler and a magnaflow cat.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:35 AM

Thats not answering my question....I need to know if I take the MAGNAFLOW resonator(the one that comes on the catback) and replace it with 2 of the, lets just say, slp resonators, will that help get rid of the raspiness, being that I would be using 2 resonators instead of 1.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:38 AM
Banned

I recommend staying away from 2 resonators. I would only use one. The magnaflow resonators are absolutely great. When you put the header/downpipe on it makes the car raspier and louder during hard acceleration and especially at wot. So as of right now you have a magnaflow catalytic converter and a magnaflow muffler and a magnaflow resonator, correct?
Old 07-19-2008, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Zach06CobaltSC
LOL....chris your a great guy but you havent read much on the zzp whisper resonator if you have heard only good things about it.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT GOING WITH A ZZP WHISPER RESONATOR!!

ZZP has been having a lot of problems with there products lately, and certain things need to be taken care of. Once they sort these problems out, then go back to them. They are a great vendor, but stay away from there downpipes and there resonators.

Go with a magnaflow resonator and a magnaflow muffler and a magnaflow cat.
What are you basing this opinion off of? What problems with products are they having, please explain or never post this again.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:48 AM
Banned

Lopsidedjester, please relax a little bit buddy.

ZZP for the last few years have been having problems with there downpipes. They were having problems with the actual bolts, which they corrected. Then they were having problems with there downpipes breaking at the flexpipe, which they still have not corrected. Now they are also having problems with there resonators rattling brand new.

These are issues and problems that take quite a bit of time to go through and fix. They want to do testing on the resonators at times yaddda yadda. There was another member on here who went through a BUNCH of bs through zzp trying to get a good solid resonator that did not rattle.

ZZP is an absolutely amazing vendor but they currently have 2 products that are not fully completed. There downpipe which is breaking at the flexpipe, and there resonators which are rattling.

I got this information not only from the forums, but by a direct representative from zzp. Feel free to call them, and ask them about these problems, they will talk to you openly about them.

ZZP has great customer service, and is a great vendor, but these 2 products people should be aware of.

also, this is not an opinion its a fact.

Last edited by Zach06CobaltSC; 07-19-2008 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-19-2008, 02:55 AM

Lopsidedjester, please relax a little bit buddy.

ZZP for the last few years have been having problems with there downpipes. They were having problems with the actual bolts, which they corrected. Then they were having problems with there downpipes breaking at the flexpipe, which they still have not corrected. Now they are also having problems with there resonators rattling brand new.

These are issues and problems that take quite a bit of time to go through and fix. They want to do testing on the resonators at times yaddda yadda. There was another member on here who went through a BUNCH of bs through zzp trying to get a good solid resonator that did not rattle.

ZZP is an absolutely amazing vendor but they currently have 2 products that are not fully completed. There downpipe which is breaking at the flexpipe, and there resonators which are rattling.

I got this information not only from the forums, but by a direct representative from zzp. Feel free to call them, and ask them about these problems, they will talk to you openly about them.

ZZP has great customer service, and is a great vendor, but these 2 products people should be aware of.

also, this is not an opinion its a fact

x2, sorry jester your wrong on this one, and thanks zach for stating all that and helping people not get hosed, theres nothing wrong with zzp's customer service and speed. but everything zach stated is true i had ALL those problems.

does that mean were saying dont buy from them NO... as a matter a fact i just purchased $400 worth of stuff last night, but it was tripple pillar pod, scanforce and TB spacer,

you just have to be carefull and do searches to find out what issues some co. have (they all have some kind of issues) and well zzp they havent been doing the best in the exhaust department lately, althought i have nothing bad to say about ther shorty header (except they didnt put a bung for the 02 ) everyone mess's up somehow ..............but yeah relax jester you musta missed those threads... (partly because the mods went around deleting them cause zzp is a supporting vendor mods)
Old 07-19-2008, 03:04 AM
Banned

Thanks for the backup buddy, i had a feeling you would chime in on this. Not only has he had the problems, but I have also. My downpipe broke at the flexpipe within less then 1 week of use. I got a new one, and am sending the old one back and will be refunded, but still....1 week..common.

I was going to buy there zzp whisper resonator, did some research and they are having tons of problems. I have talked to a zzp representative and they will admit to these issues.

Hopefully everyone here doesn't bash me, nor hungryhip-ccp for trying to help the community and tell the truth and reality behind zzp.

GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE, problems in the exhaust department. PS: Don't spend the extra money for the +15 dollars or whatever for the high temp paint, because within 10 minutes it was melted off my headers. I literally watched my money burn off my headers lol.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:05 AM

thanks for clarifying, i have a 3" whisper resonator and i don't have a problem with it yet, but i have heard about the downpipe bolt problems (although i do not have one). I too think they are a great vendor and have bought multiple items from them. I didn't mean to be too stern, but i heard that exact post about a week or two ago and i didn't really remember hearing any justifiable means behind it. Thanks again for the in-depth responses though.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:07 AM
Banned

No problem mate. Not only was it the bolts for the downpipe, its aslo the actual flexpipe breaking on people. This also has nothing to do with improper install either. The resonators are rattling for a lot of people as soon as they put them on the car, or shortly there after.

I wish you the best of luck and hope yours doesnt rattle at all, but I will be going with a magnaflow resonator, besides, then i will have a magnaflow cat, muffler and resonator =D.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:08 AM

no prob bob just trying to help others from the experiences we had
Old 07-19-2008, 04:02 AM

i have many zzp parts and they are just great...my resonater from them doesnt rattle...and my flex pipe is still good...ONE REASON TO WHY FLEX PIPES ARE BREAKIN is that people are going WOT without solid mt. mounts and when you get the engine to move back and forth im sure thats what is breakin the flex pipe..i personally did not get on my car until i had the solid motor mounts for this reason and because of that my flex pipe is still good..i did have a problem with the bolts which zzp was more than happy to compensate me for all that went wrong...they are still a good company...i wouldrecomend though trying the magnaflow resonater that way you can tell all of us how good it worked and will give us an idea of what else is out there....the whisper resonater took my exhaust from a 10 to about a 6 or 7 at wot...and about a 5 at lower rpms.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:09 AM
Banned

Ask hungry, he is using the magnaflow resonator, and i will be picking one up within the next couple of days here.

ZZP is a great site, but the reason the flexpipe is breaking is for a few reasons. Some of the flexpipes are actually not welded at all. Some of them are breaking because of people not having solid motor mounts or tranny mounts or ingalls torque damper etc. However people should not have to have these.

The zzp header and downpipe are made for the 2.0 ss/sc without any other modifications needed. Plain and simple. If the flexpipes are breaking because of stress they should have on there site "Must have engine mounts for this product".

I have the ingalls torque damper, didn't go into wot once except on a dyno so there was obviously no wheel hop it was just a 3rd gear pull, and after that never laid my foot into it except in 3rd gear, so my flexpipe i can guarentee did not break due to wheel hop. Mine broke within 1 week after install...common that is just poor construction right there.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by brownbandit9
i have many zzp parts and they are just great...my resonater from them doesnt rattle...and my flex pipe is still good...ONE REASON TO WHY FLEX PIPES ARE BREAKIN is that people are going WOT without solid mt. mounts and when you get the engine to move back and forth im sure thats what is breakin the flex pipe..i personally did not get on my car until i had the solid motor mounts for this reason and because of that my flex pipe is still good..i did have a problem with the bolts which zzp was more than happy to compensate me for all that went wrong...they are still a good company...i wouldrecomend though trying the magnaflow resonater that way you can tell all of us how good it worked and will give us an idea of what else is out there....the whisper resonater took my exhaust from a 10 to about a 6 or 7 at wot...and about a 5 at lower rpms.
your right that is one reason but thats just driver error and could cause any part to fail going as far as cracking the trans case

but THE reason the dp are coming apart is plain and simple dude, i had full mounts when i broke mine thats not it, the reason is...

because theyre not even welded they're crimped... ahhh thats not gonna cut it zzp, not only did i have a small exhaust leak i couldent find for the love of god but then it ******* fell apart one day going up a driveway in reverse...

why do you wanna argue with two people who have first hand experience we are not saying bad things about zzp, we both support them and still you wanna argue diff, were not bashing just stating facts...

and in response to the resonator comment, theyre orig were fine then all of a sudden they didnt offer em anymore, then they were back and thats when prob surfaced, it a desighn flaw, plain and simple... that im pretty sure they are correcting 1 by 1... were not bashing

the magnaflow took my exhaust from a 10 to a 5-6 at wot and very close to stock at lower rpm's much better than the zzp imho
Old 07-19-2008, 05:15 AM
Banned

+1 zzp does not weld there downpipe at the flexpipe they crimp them. When i explained this to them, they sent me one back that was tack welded. Little bit better.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:14 AM

I recommend staying away from 2 resonators. I would only use one. The magnaflow resonators are absolutely great. When you put the header/downpipe on it makes the car raspier and louder during hard acceleration and especially at wot. So as of right now you have a magnaflow catalytic converter and a magnaflow muffler and a magnaflow resonator, correct?
No I only have the magnaflow catback. I have the Vibrant Header/DP with High flow cat that came on the DP from vibrant. BTW, thanks for your on subject post.

Please stay on subject please....This isnt a thread debating the quality or dependability of zzp
Old 07-19-2008, 12:13 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Damn, I guess I missed that stuff on this forum. Thanks for the update on ZZP.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:39 PM

Well I mean, you could always just take it to an exhaust shop and tell them you want a deep muscle tone and they can hook it up. Shouldn't really be that big of a deal.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:56 PM

I'm having the same problem with my magnaflow catback with the raspy sound as the op. I'm not sure if its the resonator or the muffler. Yes, its been established that zzp is a great vendor with some issues that are being fixed one at a time. Now back to the op. I was looking into getting a skunk2 muffler, but if the resonator is causing the raspy sound. guess its back to square one.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:37 PM

right i wasnt arguin with anyone by any means..i was just letting this guy know i had a good experience with zzp...and that while a couple people had some issues it does not mean everyone has had a bad experience.....
Old 07-19-2008, 09:34 PM
Banned

Back on topic, the resonator and the muffler from magnaflow are both great products and will not cause the car to be raspy sounding. The header/downpipe from vibrant however will cause the raspy sound. With that being said, I recommend you go to an exhaust shop and see what they recommend.

You have all of the proper parts, muffler, cat, resonator, so it shouldn't be raspy nor all that loud. Make sure theres no leaks etc.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by chood711
Whats up guys,

I have the magnaflow catback and it sounded great until i added the vibrant header/downpipe. Now it has a raspiness to it. My question is if i was to take the magnaflow resonator off and put 2 in its place will that help? If so, what resonators should i get? Thanks in advance.
Do you have a Cat-less downpipe? If so then you may want to consider welding a small resonator in the downpipe.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:47 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
slp resi's are good stuff

yes it will help quiet it down

Quick Reply: Resonator ?'s.......Ive done search