2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Scan Tool...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 04:39 PM
Yaj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scan Tool...

...I'm not talking about a code reader, I'm talking about a full scan tool. AutoTap makes one that will probably work, ($179.95 for the basic scanner and $99 additional if you want to read any advanced data). Most of the info you would want to scan is in the advanced data list...but I have to think there is a less expensive option out there.

To anyone that doesn't know what I'm talking about...check these two links out :
www.autotap.com
www.ls1m.com

I have the LS1M hooked up to my wife's GTP almost full time. It's a great diagnostic tool that doubles as a multifunction gauge. $189 for the package if you already have a compatible PDA. Unfortunately the LS1M only works properly on the LS1 and L67/L36 motors.

Someone out there has to be monitoring the car to see how the car reacts to modifications...how are you doing it?
Old 04-16-2005, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Yaj
...I'm not talking about a code reader, I'm talking about a full scan tool. AutoTap makes one that will probably work, ($179.95 for the basic scanner and $99 additional if you want to read any advanced data). Most of the info you would want to scan is in the advanced data list...but I have to think there is a less expensive option out there.

To anyone that doesn't know what I'm talking about...check these two links out :
www.autotap.com
www.ls1m.com

I have the LS1M hooked up to my wife's GTP almost full time. It's a great diagnostic tool that doubles as a multifunction gauge. $189 for the package if you already have a compatible PDA. Unfortunately the LS1M only works properly on the LS1 and L67/L36 motors.

Someone out there has to be monitoring the car to see how the car reacts to modifications...how are you doing it?

I don't think anyone has done any mods that require monitoring since those types of mods don't exist yet (No CAI, exhaust, etc). Most mods people have discussed here have been cosmetic thus far.

I may be wrong, and if so, please correct me
Old 04-17-2005, 07:41 PM

People have confirmed that the LS1M actually does work at least partially on Saturn Redlines. A couple of the parameters don't work, but there's a fellow on redlineforums that has an LS1M who tried it on his Redline, and he was able to read most parameters, read and clear codes, etc.

I'm going to venture a guess and say that LS1M probably won't work on a Cobalt. The RL is probably still J1850. I think the Cobalt will have gone to CAN protocol, so I don't think LS1M will work.

I'm not aware of any other tools at this instant... sorry.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:31 PM

Does Actron make anything like that? I know they make a lot of diagnostic tools and whatnot.. That's a name I know you can trust.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:18 AM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have looked into the Autotap to. I am thinking about getting the GM enhanced version for my cobalt. I am worried that it won't work with it forwhatever reason. PFYC.com has it in their cobalt section, so I dunno if they have tested it on the cobalt or are just assuming it will work.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:56 PM

I have a Tech 2 scanner so it covers all GM lines (including saturn and hummer).. Used it quite a bit to reprogram and "tweak" my cav z-24. Plan on doing the same when my SS arrives.
My .02

Jeff
Old 04-26-2005, 09:01 PM

there is also www.obd-2.com
Old 04-26-2005, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by DanM
People have confirmed that the LS1M actually does work at least partially on Saturn Redlines. A couple of the parameters don't work, but there's a fellow on redlineforums that has an LS1M who tried it on his Redline, and he was able to read most parameters, read and clear codes, etc.

I'm going to venture a guess and say that LS1M probably won't work on a Cobalt. The RL is probably still J1850. I think the Cobalt will have gone to CAN protocol, so I don't think LS1M will work.

I'm not aware of any other tools at this instant... sorry.

Your absolutely correct.Theres no way to communicate with the computers on board a cobalt without GM's CANdi module otherwise known as controller area network diagnostic interface, which is a really long way of saying its converts high speed gmlan into a communication bus that a normal tech2 or other obd2 accesible device can read.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:13 PM
Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by dnbguy86
Your absolutely correct.Theres no way to communicate with the computers on board a cobalt without GM's CANdi module otherwise known as controller area network diagnostic interface, which is a really long way of saying its converts high speed gmlan into a communication bus that a normal tech2 or other obd2 accesible device can read.
like this ?
http://www.gridconnect.com/gc-can-cab-odb2.html
Old 04-27-2005, 05:02 PM
Moderator Alumni

This company also supports the CAN interface.

http://www.autoenginuity.com

It's an extra 40 bux on top of the scan tool kit.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by zinner

That looks like something that would be acceptable, but it wouldnt fit a tech2. im sure its meant for another obd2 type tool. i would recommend getting a tech2 if your serious about yur diagnostics but only bad thing is they cost 3k, but the things you can do with it are quite amazing. you can control outputs instead of just lookin at parameters like most scan tools do. oh well, hope that helps...
Old 04-27-2005, 07:48 PM
Moderator Alumni

That looks like something that would be acceptable, but it wouldnt fit a tech2. im sure its meant for another obd2 type tool. i would recommend getting a tech2 if your serious about yur diagnostics but only bad thing is they cost 3k, but the things you can do with it are quite amazing. you can control outputs instead of just lookin at parameters like most scan tools do. oh well, hope that helps...
Ok You need some more clarification. What is Tech2? Is that the same as TEC2?

I have seen TEC2 based computers for engine control, but that would involve removing the stock computer and using the TEC2 computer. I don't think that reinventing the wheel (in this case an ECU) for someone at my level would be advised. I am not a racing professional. I just want to make sure that if I mod my car I am not about to blow up the engine. I want to keep an eye on knock, intake temps, sensor codes, O2 levels ect. OBD II or CAN seem to be more than able to provide this info.

TEC2 is also a protocol. You can get protocol analyzers for TEC2 for about the same price as OBD2 protocol analyzers.

Maybe I am missing something here? Why would I want to buy an entirely new computer just to monitor some variable that the stock system seems to be able to fine. Have you seen the list of the GM advanced OBD2 variable, it's huge. I don't even know what all of them mean
Old 04-27-2005, 07:51 PM
Moderator Alumni

CAN is the same idea as OBDII. It just has faster bus/transfer rates. It's mandated on all new cars come 2008. So while I think at this point support isn't as great as OBD II in a few years it will be just as supported as OBD II is right now.

From reading some doc's about it, it actually looks cool. In the past it seemed many cars where designed around discrete circuit to control the function of the car. If you wanted to turn on the lights you had a wire that connected to a switch for the headlight relay. As computer and technology becomes more advanced, instead of having a 50 wires going to the dash you will have a single CAN bus. All the devices can communicate over than bus. So if the headlight need to be turned on the light sensor sends a signal over the CAN bus (GM-LAN is what GM has dubbed it) to have the computer turn on the head lights and along with it the guage lights and the stereo lights. From a flexibility standpoint it looks awesome. Total system control over a single command bus.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:54 PM
Moderator Alumni

Update

So I talked with autotap. They pointed me to a diagram of the OBD II connector. Turns out that OBD II seems to be a physical connector more than a protocol.

The Cobalt has the following PIN
1 Unknown to me yet
2 J1850 Bus+
4 Chassis Ground
5 Signal Ground
6 CAN high (J-2284)
14 CAN Low (J-2284)
16 Battery Power

Autotap says it needs pins in the following positions to operate with your vehicle.
2, 4, 5 but not 10.

So it appears the cobalt has both J1850 which is the standard OBDII protocol and CAN. Autotap hardware supports CAN however their software doesn't. They are working on support for the future however.

What does everyone think?
Old 04-30-2005, 10:13 AM

I have heard from someone who seems to be a pretty reliable source that the SS ECM is actually Class 2 capable. The fact that pin 2 in the DLC is ppulated seems to confirm this.

So a tool like LS1M or Autotap should be able to access ECM functions without any kind of transceiver module (like CANdi).

As far as I can tell, the ECM is the only module that's Class 2 capable, so you wouldn't be able to access any chassis or body functions via the Class 2 bus. For that you'd need a DWCAN or SWCAN transceiver.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:24 PM
Moderator Alumni

I spoke with autotap email support and they will be supporting CAN. In fact there USB controller supports this protocol already, it just that the autotap software doesn't support it yet.

Autotap told me that the software update to support the CAN protocols will be a free update for existing customers. I asked them to let me beta test, so we will see if I am lucky enough to test it.

What's a DWCAM and SWCAM transciever???
Old 04-30-2005, 02:09 PM

DWCAN = dual wire CAN. Also called high-speed CAN or HSCAN.
SWCAN = single wire CAN, or low speed CAN (LSCAN).

There's also a medium-speed CAN (MSCAN), but that's not used a lot right now.

You won't NEED the CAN transceiver to talk to the ECM on the Cobalt SS. The existing Class 2 tool is fine.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:43 AM
Moderator Alumni

Autotap works

I just got my autotap usb today. The Autotap works on the Cobalt SS.

The knock retard shows up but never registered off ZERO.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by zinner
I just got my autotap usb today. The Autotap works on the Cobalt SS.

The knock retard shows up but never registered off ZERO.
Sweet. That's encouraging. Would you consider throwing some slightly lower grade gas in her (maybe 89) and let us know what happens?