2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Supercharger Swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SLOWBALT06
yea but every turbo thread is a laughing stock ive done my research at least on this site and its not taking me anywhere but the begining if i were to do a custom turbo swap how much total do you think all that would cost
HPT $500
Manifold $150(Ebay)-$599(Hahn)
Good Turbo $800-1200 depends on what your desires are
60lb injectors/harness $220
BOV w/flange $220
Charge piping/downpipe $100-$300 depending if you can fab/weld them yourself
Oil return/feed lines and fittings $100
Fab your own TB adaptor for the stock manifold $50
Professional Tune $500ish

$2270 low side to $3689 high side.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:04 PM
Banned

i just want a price range at least i want a nicely sized turbo that will push a bit more power than our m62 , i want to stay somewhat cheap im not talking like extremely cheap but no top of the line turbo and stuff just good buys what do you think would be a range of price 3,000 4,000 cheaper around there im not looking for EXACT $ #'s just a range
Old 10-14-2006, 04:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just want a price range at least i want a nicely sized turbo that will push a bit more power than our m62 , i want to stay somewhat cheap im not talking like extremely cheap but no top of the line turbo and stuff just good buys what do you think would be a range of price 3,000 4,000 cheaper around there im not looking for EXACT $ #'s just a range

$3000-4000? Why don't you just do a twinscrew supercharger swap?! You have a better low end...
Old 10-14-2006, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by vandy0419
$3000-4000? Why don't you just do a twinscrew supercharger swap?! You have a better low end...
Now where back to the point of where ot get one. The ones that are ideal for our car have all been discontinued. Sourcing these blowers is difficult, and nobody is willing to just sell the blower if they do make one! Vicious circle for our modding interests.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm afraid that most of you guys are not ready for going to a full turbo setup on a relatively brand new car.

Also, I don't think some of you guys fully understand how a turbo system works and what is involved to do such a project, which is understandable but I don't want you guys to jump into something that is way over your heads.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:08 PM

If you want turbo swap info go to the RL Forums. There are a few members there that are supposedly in the process of making the swap.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by NJHK
I'm afraid that most of you guys are not ready for going to a full turbo setup on a relatively brand new car.

Also, I don't think some of you guys fully understand how a turbo system works and what is involved to do such a project, which is understandable but I don't want you guys to jump into something that is way over your heads.
I could definately do the turbo swap if I wanted to. The setup is actually fairly easy to me, but I have done hours upon hours of extensive research on it. I sized a perfect turbo for the setup, and sourced all the parts I would need. That hardest part would be tuning it all. I love fabrication work, so that's not an issue for me. In fact all my buddies are turbo'd and I'm the only one with a supercharger. Some people on here may not have the capabilities like I do though, so it may be harder and more expensive for them. That is why Hahn Racecraft kits will be great for all those that would rather spend their money to get a decent setup ready to bolt on.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:25 PM

Yeah, you definitely pulled it out of your ass like you said unless you're meaning twinscrews only:
1. A larger displacement supercharger obviously offers more HP potential.Not true...it is ONLY when it can offer more cfm...M90s don't but maybe maybe 50 more cfm...MAYBE
2. It runs cooler because it spins slower. Not true...it is based off of how much boost is there...for it to run cooler and spin slower, you have to make it put out an equal cfm or larger at a lower level of boost...M90s don't.
3. Bearing speed friction and oil temperature are reduced.Refer back to #2 for the blower speed and the oil temp doesn't matter except for how often you have to change it (50k miles) since it is a self contained oil system...if it was pulling oil out of the crank case, that would be different.
4. Cooler air charge temperature. Only if you're looking at a twin screw because the M90 doesn't put out more cfm at equal boost levels where it would be worth while.
5. Lower parasitic loss (less engine HP to spin). M90 requires 20hp more at top end than M62.
6. Larger pulleys have more surface area for less belt slippage and wear.That is only viable info if you are using a large rib belt, like an 8 or 10 rib which is very costly because you would have to change all the other pulleys on the engine to hold that large of a rib belt...ours are only for 6 rib...we have a decent tensioner, along with the ability to purchase a larger idler pulley and idler pulley adjustable tensioners so with what we have available, belt slippage isn't an issue...
ohh ok, kenne bell pulls **** out of his ass too then cause thats where i got the information from http://www.kennebell.net/supercharge...gmCorvette.htm
Old 10-14-2006, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Serpico
ohh ok, kenne bell pulls **** out of his ass too then cause thats where i got the information from http://www.kennebell.net/supercharge...gmCorvette.htm

Can Kenne Bell pull me a 1.3L twinscrew size **** out of his ass? The one he won't sell me separately so I can make my own swap!

Originally Posted by 2K5SS/SC?
I could definately do the turbo swap if I wanted to. The setup is actually fairly easy to me, but I have done hours upon hours of extensive research on it. I sized a perfect turbo for the setup, and sourced all the parts I would need. That hardest part would be tuning it all. I love fabrication work, so that's not an issue for me. In fact all my buddies are turbo'd and I'm the only one with a supercharger. Some people on here may not have the capabilities like I do though, so it may be harder and more expensive for them. That is why Hahn Racecraft kits will be great for all those that would rather spend their money to get a decent setup ready to bolt on.
I understand your standpoint but like you said, other people aren't in the same position as you.
Banned

HPT $500
Manifold $150(Ebay)-$599(Hahn)
Good Turbo $800-1200 depends on what your desires are
60lb injectors/harness $220
BOV w/flange $220
Charge piping/downpipe $100-$300 depending if you can fab/weld them yourself
Oil return/feed lines and fittings $100
Fab your own TB adaptor for the stock manifold $50
Professional Tune $500ish

$2270 low side to $3689 high side.
2 questions what is hpt -500 $ hp tuners if so why would you need the 500$ pro tune ? just bc they know what there doing or what ?? second how much hp do you think would be possible to put down with just a turbo swap bc if i could get 260 - 280 whp for 2500 i think im gonna do it thats really not TOO bad
Old 10-14-2006, 05:32 PM

Can Kenne Bell pull me a 1.3L twinscrew size **** out of his ass? The one he won't sell me separately so I can make my own swap!

that would be impressive
Old 10-14-2006, 05:36 PM

2 questions what is hpt -500 $ hp tuners if so why would you need the 500$ pro tune ? just bc they know what there doing or what ?? second how much hp do you think would be possible to put down with just a turbo swap bc if i could get 260 - 280 whp for 2500 i think im gonna do it thats really not TOO bad
HPT = HP Tuners if that's what you were asking.

The question you're asking as far as power gains, it's all circumstancial and it really can not be answered. It depends on so many things that no one can sit here and type up some magical number cause it would mislead you. Even if you told us exactly what you were planning on using and your whole setup, we still could not give you a number. In performance, there is never a set number for a modification, especaially something as complicated as a turbo setup.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:41 PM
Banned

so all in all i might as well just buy a new clutch and axels and start trying to build this m62 up i want to run mid 12's nothing too spectacular but i know when i get there im gonna want mid 11's and thats when im gonna want that turbo or big supercharger
Old 10-14-2006, 05:43 PM

HPTuners cost a minimum of $499 for the basic package, so you have the ability to tune the car. The other $500 is to get a competent tuner to tune the car with HPTuners for you because the quickest way to kill an engine is a bad tune. This is not for the novice, and takes a lot of practice. Tuning may be needed just to get the car to run, nevermind pull good HP numbers. My buddy just finsihed a turbo kit on his CRX with a ZC motor, and his tuning time cost over $1000 to get it tuned right. With the setup I priced out, 350-400whp would be very realistic. It's all in what you want though. The average 60trim T3 or T3/t4 would be great if you were looking for lower numbers. Remember that you will need a lot of supporting mods on top of that. Power is no good if you car cannot support it properly. There is definatley a lot involved with turbo kits especially if you have to pay for someone else to do fabrication. From the questions you're asking, I would suggest a lot of research about turbo kits before decided on what you want to do. I use a lot of other forums for many different cars, factual sites, and send a lot of emails to manufacturers of parts to get my information; to point you in the right direction.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:51 PM

so all in all i might as well just buy a new clutch and axels and start trying to build this m62 up i want to run mid 12's nothing too spectacular but i know when i get there im gonna want mid 11's and thats when im gonna want that turbo or big supercharger
Big Turbos aren't always necessary or needed.

Also, the problem with the M62 is that after you get so small of a pulley, you're generating more heat than you are making power.

Remember, the faster you are, the more maintenance you'll have as well.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:03 PM

Getting away from EATONs would be the best way of upgrading. Porting hasn't shown any more than 4 or 5whp gains so that is several hundred for pretty much no power so I wouldn't even advise someone to port...

you do realize that eaton owns autorotor just go to www.opcon.com and see what comes up

if i were to ever do a twin screw it would be a eaton twin screw

first im going to try the m90 though used m90 off ebay 300 bucks and i can make a temp. adapter plate to see viability that will only cost 20 bucks tops (i can weld) if it doesnt work out ill throw the charger back on ebay so at worst im only out 20 bucks and some of my time to find out if this is a worthwile upgrade or not
Old 10-14-2006, 06:16 PM

you do realize that eaton owns autorotor just go to www.opcon.com and see what comes up

if i were to ever do a twin screw it would be a eaton twin screw

first im going to try the m90 though used m90 off ebay 300 bucks and i can make a temp. adapter plate to see viability that will only cost 20 bucks tops (i can weld) if it doesnt work out ill throw the charger back on ebay so at worst im only out 20 bucks and some of my time to find out if this is a worthwile upgrade or not
Why the hell did you wait until now to show this information to me. There are several blowers from Sprintex/Autorotor that are exactly what we need for this setup! I have no information or pricing on it, but this number looks to be promising! I can't access the site either, and I'm looking at something this very moment somewhere else! Grr......

Opcon Autorotor OA 3133

Update, some quick research shows that the unit above will only spin to 13000 rpms. That would not work to well on our car with some math I did earlier in the day.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:36 PM

Why the hell did you wait until now to show this information to me. There are several blowers from Sprintex/Autorotor that are exactly what we need for this setup! I have no information or pricing on it, but this number looks to be promising! I can't access the site either, and I'm looking at something this very moment somewhere else! Grr......

Opcon Autorotor OA 3133

Update, some quick research shows that the unit above will only spin to 13000 rpms. That would not work to well on our car with some math I did earlier in the day.

yea ive been in contact with autorotor/sprintex about getting a unit over here for some comparison testing more info can be found here http://sprintex.com.au/Opcon_Autorotor.asp
Old 10-14-2006, 07:10 PM

yea ive been in contact with autorotor/sprintex about getting a unit over here for some comparison testing more info can be found here http://sprintex.com.au/Opcon_Autorotor.asp
Well, it looks like I have plenty more time to decide now. I just was beat out on ebay. I placed two bids in at the last second, and tried to squeeze in a third, but it was too late.

For everyone's information, I was bidding on the Whipple Supercharger system for the PT Cruiser which just so happens to have a 1.2L 75AX supercharger as the main unit which is good for 831 CFM's and 20000rpms max spin. That is the first thing I've ever bid on Ebay for, and it has definately pissed me off! It went for only $480 too!
Old 10-14-2006, 08:50 PM

You wouldn't need 13,000 rpm to reach 22psi on the 1.33L if I'm not mistaken. 22 psi would be huge power from a twinscrew.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:52 PM
Banned

how much can we get this blower for and how hard would it be to install on our car and other than HPtuners , Injectors , Harness , Clutch , Axels is there anything else we would need also what kind of numbers are we talking about here , another thing the 1.33 you all are talking about is that the one from the people that own eaton
Old 10-14-2006, 09:11 PM

Opcon Autorotor OA 3133

Did you mess with the calculator they have on their site? IT is a really good macro for calculating proper size based off displacement and etc. It looks like if we ran a 1.33L at 22-23 psi you could make 370+ hp plus still be at the 13k rev limit of the blower.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:15 PM

ha ha ha, obviously you're just an ass because you didn't even read the first line, either that or you're too dumb to know that a KB is a freaking twinscrew!!

Here is what I said:

Yeah, you definitely pulled it out of your ass like you said unless you're meaning twinscrews only:
What's funny is you tried writing that like you were taking credit for it yet you just pulled it off that site.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:17 PM

For everyone's information, I was bidding on the Whipple Supercharger system for the PT Cruiser which just so happens to have a 1.2L 75AX supercharger as the main unit which is good for 831 CFM's and 20000rpms max spin. That is the first thing I've ever bid on Ebay for, and it has definately pissed me off! It went for only $480 too!
Don't stress too much man, you'll find something eventually. Also, keep an eye on www.racingjunk.com

Also, if it only goes to 831cfm, that isn't too much off of where ours maxes out so it is probably best that way really.

Quick Reply: Supercharger Swap