2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

TDC on #2 cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TDC on #2 cylinder

Hi everyone I have a blown spark plug on #2 and I need to figure out the best way to put #2 cylinder at tdc so when I start to re-thread the hole and put the insert in I don't hit the valves or the top of the piston. Does anyone have any suggestions on what the easiest way to do this is? I tried searching but I guess I wasn't searching correctly, I did find that there's a marker on the crank pulley and the engine to indicate tdc on #1, how do I get #2 to tdc?

thanks in advance.

*edit*

okay doing some more research am I actually interested in BDC (bottom dead center) to make sure the piston is farthest from the spark plug hole? How do I get the valves closed and piston as far away as possible?
Old 11-03-2013, 12:13 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Put a stick or rod in the spark plug hole so it rests on the top of the piston. Turn the crank until it's at its highest point or lowest. The valves will be closed if you can't blow compressed air into the cylinder and past the valves. Rig up a way to seal a blow gun on the plug hole with duct tape. It won't be hard to tell if the valves are closed. If open you won't build any pressure.

Last edited by Stumpalump; 11-03-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Got Bewst?

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
I wouldn't be rethreading a spark plug hole with the head on if I were you. Getting any debris or filings in the hole is bad news.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:21 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluelightning
I wouldn't be rethreading a spark plug hole with the head on if I were you. Getting any debris or filings in the hole is bad news.
Spark plug taps pull the shavings upward
You can use Vaseline to catch the shavings also
Old 11-03-2013, 01:22 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The shavings are at least aluminum. Still not good and there is no way to get them all out but at least the shavings are not steel. Down in that recessed hole you better tape a piece of heater hose to your shop vac to get those critters out. I bet fuel hose threw the plug hole might catch a few stragglers as well. I did it once on Corvair and it went well. The insert even held thru plug changes that came years latter.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes you are going to want to electrically disconnect the coils, remove the fuel pump, and use a rod or something to somehow guess where BDC is. Get someone to help you and you can see the stick move up and down. Lightly crank the engine and you should be able to get it to land on BDC
Old 11-03-2013, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluelightning
ive done many it those shavings wont hurt

Originally Posted by advise
Spark plug taps pull the shavings upward
You can use Vaseline to catch the shavings also
correct

Originally Posted by Stumpalump
The shavings are at least aluminum. Still not good and there is no way to get them all out but at least the shavings are not steel. Down in that recessed hole you better tape a piece of heater hose to your shop vac to get those critters out. I bet fuel hose threw the plug hole might catch a few stragglers as well. I did it once on Corvair and it went well. The insert even held thru plug changes that came years latter.
not needed

Originally Posted by smitzk01
Yes you are going to want to electrically disconnect the coils, remove the fuel pump, and use a rod or something to somehow guess where BDC is. Get someone to help you and you can see the stick move up and down. Lightly crank the engine and you should be able to get it to land on BDC
this is definatly not needed

op thread the the hole for the insert then and leave all the other coils installed start the engine that will blow and shavings left over out of the cylinder shut it off thread in the insert put the plug in done

next time post questions like this in general or problems and service

Last edited by mrbelvedere; 11-03-2013 at 03:45 PM.