2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Timing/drive chain Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 10:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Timing/drive chain Question

Ok, I am just about done with my engine build and just questioning the balanced shaft timing location markers in relation to TDC.

I took off the chain not thinking to mark the chain since I have tons of pictures. It seems to be correct from previous pictures but hard to tell since the other pictures were not TDC. It may be hard to see but the Balance Shafts arrows are pointing to its corresponding arrow on the shafts mount to the block and the motor is at TDC. Can someone verify that it is correct? The build book does not help since it states it has a white link on this chain.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
dude get some nbs shafts then you dont hae to worry about it
Old 04-12-2010, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there's no marks on either side of the chain? hard to set timing without that

i'm with mrbelvedere... nbs or balance shaft delete, then it doesn't matter where the links are as the only thing the chain is moving is the water pump - which doesn't have to be timed
Old 04-12-2010, 06:04 PM

I dont want vibration that I dont have to have. The stock shafts are fine. I was already going through my head about the NBS. I was just hoping someone could help since there is no marks on the chain.

Bump. Want to close the motor up tonight.

Last edited by SCcobaltSS; 04-12-2010 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-12-2010, 06:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The chain doesn't have any marks. All our engines hear at the shop have the white links. Did you flip the chain to see if they are on the other side? The front balance shaft arrow doesn't seem to line up, is it off a tooth, maybe it's just the pic. If it's not off a tooth and the piston is at TDC, because you can have it off a tooth on the crank fairly easy, the chain is setup correctly. The key way should be at 12 o'clock that's another easy way to know that the crank is in the correct position. You can also set your front cover on the engine then put your balancer on and make sure the notch in the balancer and the line on the cover are correct.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan@zzp
The chain doesn't have any marks. All our engines hear at the shop have the white links. Did you flip the chain to see if they are on the other side? The front balance shaft arrow doesn't seem to line up, is it off a tooth, maybe it's just the pic. If it's not off a tooth and the piston is at TDC, because you can have it off a tooth on the crank fairly easy, the chain is setup correctly. The key way should be at 12 o'clock that's another easy way to know that the crank is in the correct position. You can also set your front cover on the engine then put your balancer on and make sure the notch in the balancer and the line on the cover are correct.
Yah no white link on either side. The key is straight up. The balancer is off a little. Not a tooth on the balancer though because one tooth on the balancer is more off than how it is now. May be from the crank. Hard to line up due to the tensioners. I will re align it so it is perfect. Thanks Ryan!
Old 04-12-2010, 07:02 PM
Banned

Well good luck man, hope u get it back together right.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:41 PM

Well upon further inspection I found my woodruff key looked funny. As shown in the first picture. While I matched the cover to it I found another something wrong... See second picture, cracked balancer.. FML more parts I have to wait for.

Also see in the 1st picture. I was able to move the drive chain gear by hand with my movement of the crank. If spun till those pieces that are shown in the slots on the left and right of the gear until it cant go anymore will the gear lock and be ok? Or is it not supposed to move?
Old 04-13-2010, 02:11 PM

I was mistaken on you balance shaft marks because the links were not painted. I looked over 6 different chains and they all have colored marks. I don’t know how you got a chain without colored marks, that sucks. I setup a chain for you and the amount of links you should have from one colored link to the next. I am counting the links starting on the colored link and finishing on the colored link. Here is also a picture of the proper position of the arrows on the balance shafts. The balance shaft gear does move but the pc’s should be about 9 o’clock and 3 o’clock with the indent on the gear at 12 o’clock. If you have a broken keyway you should make sure those gear are in good condition before continuing.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:23 PM

Damn! Thanks Ryan! Above and beyond.

I guess I got the shaft on getting a non painted chain.. haha just my luck with this build. I think I got the lazy person putting this together. My timing chain does have colored links but every link was one space off from where it needed to go. I guess its the same but just funny it was not exact.

I have broken the key. I am pulling everything tonight or tomorrow to inspect. I have a new key that I am buying today and have a new balancer pulley also. I will let you know how it goes!

Thanks again, this is very helpful.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:29 PM

good info in this thread! at chris' expense
Old 04-13-2010, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by sundevil07
good info in this thread! at chris' expense
ya ya laugh it up!

Good thing I didnt match the arrows and close everything up. My motor would have hated me.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:42 PM

another pic of the marks:

Old 04-13-2010, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by SCcobaltSS
ya ya laugh it up!

Good thing I didnt match the arrows and close everything up. My motor would have hated me.
Yes, that would have been no good. Really weird that you dont have marks on your timing chain tho.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by bolus
another pic of the marks:
Awesome, thanks for the help! I dont think I can screw it up now. haha

Originally Posted by sundevil07
Yes, that would have been no good. Really weird that you dont have marks on your timing chain tho.
Yah but again my colored chains on the timing chain were all off one to the correct location when installed originally... Makes sense. haha

Last edited by SCcobaltSS; 04-13-2010 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-13-2010, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by SCcobaltSS
Damn! Thanks Ryan! Above and beyond.

I guess I got the shaft on getting a non painted chain.. haha just my luck with this build. I think I got the lazy person putting this together. My timing chain does have colored links but every link was one space off from where it needed to go. I guess its the same but just funny it was not exact.

I have broken the key. I am pulling everything tonight or tomorrow to inspect. I have a new key that I am buying today and have a new balancer pulley also. I will let you know how it goes!

Thanks again, this is very helpful.
No prob man, good luck!
Old 04-13-2010, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan@zzp
No prob man, good luck!
Thanks, I need the luck. Haha.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:17 AM

Alright. Thanks for all the help guys! Especially Ryan for counting the links and marking them. Now I have colored links. haha blue, red, pink... got into my sisters nail polish. I need to clean it with alcohol before I close it up...

Oh and since I cracked and bent the balancer pulley a little from the woodruff key it was a bitch to get out. Also is that the oil pump on the drive cover? Kinda a noob questions I guess. I was looking all over for it and then realized when I was getting the pulley off that it spins a pump.