2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Tranny Cracking????

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Tranny Cracking????

Here's the story, I called my dealer about a stage 3 kit for my car and told him that I already have the stage 2 so he can price me out a stage 3. And after he gave me the price and availability he told me about a problem they have have with some stage 2's in my area. He said that there is a spot on the transmission that will crack if you have excessive wheel hop and GM won't cover it because they can "prove" that it cracked because you were "racing" to much causing damage to the tranny with wheel hop.

I just wanna know if anyone has heard anything or has had a similar problem. It makes me wanna buy every part on the aftermarket to prevent it from happening. He also said that JUST a torque dampener won't help much, you need to invest more.

Just some info to pass on, I think its a new development from GM.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:25 AM

sounds like bs to me
Old 07-01-2007, 12:31 AM
Doc

nope, it isn't...if they can prove or have suspicion they will refuse to cover the repair of the tranny.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:12 AM

I know they will try to deny a claim if the tranny cracks. GM most likely put a bulletin about this out with stage information. I think its total bullshit that they can sell performance upgrades that the car can not handle and say its your fault. The kits should come with stiffer engine, control arm and tranny mounts.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:07 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
yupp they most certainly do have a bulletin out on it. and it states that tranny casing cracks are caused by excessive wheel hop that is caused by aggressive driving and hard launches. it is not covered under warranty because it is considered driver abuse.

as for a torque damper not working, mine worked wonders, my wheel hop is very uncommon now and i don't even have mine nowhere near as stiff as it can go.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:19 AM

I'm running a torque dampner and a poly trans mount and I can't remember the last time I had wheel hop.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Smarty Art
I know they will try to deny a claim if the tranny cracks. GM most likely put a bulletin about this out with stage information. I think its total bullshit that they can sell performance upgrades that the car can not handle and say its your fault. The kits should come with stiffer engine, control arm and tranny mounts.
Exactly. It's a Catch 22.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Smarty Art
I think the bulletin was pre-stage 2. I think it went a little something like this

"We know we screwed up the design and we will in all probability fix it in 08. Until then continue to deny warranties as customer abuse and give the customer a big F U for us, we hate our customers"

Love GM

The bulletin is on this forum somewhere, a search will dig it up.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:59 AM

Yea i have 2500 miles on my 07 ss, already had my trans replaced and they will be installing my clutch this week.

This is an extremely serious issue and should be delt with properly.

So i took my car in because of a major leak, turns out that the axle seal seemed to have popped out of the trans, but the techs at my local gm dealer thought that it was improperly installed from the manufacturer. So they went ahead and pulled the trans apart finding that many of the gears inside were blue. From my driving of who knows how many miles with no oil in the trans..

They installed the new trans and i got the car back and the next day it was leaking oil, i thought for sure they screwed something up but it ended up being "oil residue"
a day or two later i noticed when really getting into the throttle hard at about 4k rpm the clutch would just let loose and burn itself away.

So now its sitting at their shop waiting for the clutch to be installed, all of this work was covered by warranty. It all depends on who you talk to and how you talk to them, the facts are plain and simple. Their company builds a vehicle that self destructs and they try not to stand behind it.

As far as this problem being a public, Technical Service Bulletin it IS NOT. This means that the problem will not show up when searching for Technical Service Bulletins like where one problem i had like how my steering wheel chatters when turned all the way to the right, this problem was easily solved. but not to get off topic here,

GM decided that theyd try and keep this somewhat major problem to themseleves as much as they could. To do this they filed this problem as some sort of tbi or something, i have the bulletin but is at my work, i hope to have some pictures of it up tomorrow for you guys.

I strongly suggest that every owner read about this problem as it could cost well over 3000
if not treated with respect.

and the place that the transmission is cracking is directly inside the bell housing where the oil can build up on the clutch and cause life long slipping with it.

Last edited by Boosted_07_SS; 07-04-2007 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-04-2007, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Boosted_07_SS
GM decided that theyd try and keep this somewhat major problem to themseleves as much as they could. To do this they filed this problem as some sort of tbi or something, i have the bulletin but is at my work, i hope to have some pictures of it up tomorrow for you guys.
Looking forward to seeing this bulletin and the pics man, thanks. I don't wanna pay **** loads for GM's mistake. And as far as anti-wheel hop mods go, I'm gonna pick up every one I can in the near future.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:49 AM

Until u fix the wheel hop issues, just simply dont punch the gas in first. Learn the point to where you can give it gas and pull off fast and not hop. It takes a little to learn but saves you money. All you simply do is lean into the pedal faster then you normally would if you was just pulling off regular and trust me, once you get this down you will still be able to race and pull on people without worries of breaking stuff. I finally got the idea down until I get my motor mounts from TTR. Then Ill just punch the damn pedal to the floor and see no hop and just spinning.