2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

turbo manifold

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbo manifold

im looking for a turbo manifold for my 2006 cobalt ss/sc. If anyone can direct me to sites that have them that would be great. it can be no name too, a manifold is a manifold in my book. new or used. thanks guys
Old 01-13-2009, 02:47 PM

http://www.ottperformance.com/Cobalt...bd107ce2209123

http://www.zzperformance.com/cobalt_...=867&catid=155 (least recommended, btw)

http://turbosystem.com/ProjectVehicl...Components.htm (scroll down to turbo manifold)

Last edited by ShortStack; 01-13-2009 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-13-2009, 02:48 PM

definately go with the Vulcan turbo manifold...... buy them thru OTTP, i highly recommend them
Old 01-13-2009, 02:55 PM

Yes i agree with that...

The tubular one i heard takes a bit of patience to get fitted right.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:40 AM

Vulcan From OTT
Old 01-14-2009, 02:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
equal lenght vulcan one.....hands down...unless u can get your hand on one like 06black had made
Old 01-14-2009, 09:13 AM

You dont NEED the equal length one, if you wanna spend the money on it, im sure it would be nice.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:43 AM

Uh oh mike! Going turbo I see. Call me if you ever want some help.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:15 AM
Supporting Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The ZZP manifold (version 2) is pretty much the best value out there. We made 465WHP with it, which is more than any other manifold out there. With a recently lowered price, you won't find better.

http://www.zzperformance.com/cobalt_...=867&catid=155
Old 01-14-2009, 11:23 AM

im kind of liking hahns design. ok guys, heres what im going for. Im doing this in stages.
stage 1: manifold, turbo, wastegate, blow off valve, downpipe, sc delete adapter plate. 14-16 psi. 350 ish whp (run this for a bit until i get more funds)
stage 2: intake manifold, 79lb injectors or bigger, massive intercooler. 18-20 psi. 380 ish whp
stage 3: (summer time) pistons, rods, ported head maybe valves and springs w/ turbo cams. 500+ whp.

so these are my goals. i wont be taking any shortcuts bc i dont want to blow anything up lol. any suggestions from people would be great (mainly turbo wise) I want to go ballbearing obviously with a turbo this big, but journal bearing is more reliable. Im digging the hahn turbo manifold but dont know if it will allow a turbo that big to clear everything, can anyone answer that? thanks guys.

Originally Posted by Zooomer
The ZZP manifold (version 2) is pretty much the best value out there. We made 465WHP with it, which is more than any other manifold out there. With a recently lowered price, you won't find better.

http://www.zzperformance.com/cobalt_...=867&catid=155
will that manifold allow a turbo as big as im looking for to clear everything? can you guarantee this? not bashing the product, but im a firm believer of you get what you pay for to an extent. you said it was good up to 465whp, well im shooting for over 500 definitely, or the build would be a waste to me.

Last edited by restonSS; 01-14-2009 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-14-2009, 11:24 AM

The hahn manifold isnt that big, just a regular log type...

And honestly, if your going as big as you say you want, ball bearing would be the way to go.

you can make 465hp from any turbo manifold thats not plastic.

Last edited by ShortStack; 01-14-2009 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-14-2009, 11:24 AM

thanks alex, ill prob be doing it at VT though over spring break. we will see though. i miss my turbo tc and turbo lag lol superchargers just arent for me.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:26 AM

Hey Mike, you might want to talk to Paul and Brian on this site. They will tell you what you need to know to get those numbers above 400+.

Originally Posted by restonSS
thanks alex, ill prob be doing it at VT though over spring break. we will see though. i miss my turbo tc and turbo lag lol superchargers just arent for me.
haha sounds good man. Let me know if you want to sell me any of your old parts down the road.

Last edited by Herndon_High_SS; 01-14-2009 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-14-2009, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by ShortStack
The hahn manifold isnt that big, just a regular log type...

And honestly, if your going as big as you say you want, ball bearing would be the way to go.

i know its just a log type haha im not new to turbos.
Will it clear everything if i put a 60-1 turbo on the hahn manifold you think?
and if im going hahn and log style, do you think i should go zzp for cheaper (and will zzp clear eveything) or no?

Originally Posted by Herndon_High_SS
Hey Mike, you might want to talk to Paul and Brian on this site. They will tell you what you need to know to get those numbers above 400+.

haha sounds good man. Let me know if you want to sell me any of your old parts down the road.
haha ok i will, ill prob be selling a supercharger build kit with all my stock crap and the SC and then my 60lb injectors, 2.7 and 2.6 pulley with hub, bigger heat exchanger and whatnot. ill let you know though.

Last edited by restonSS; 01-14-2009 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-14-2009, 11:59 AM

paul (i think thats his name)

is runing a HiFi 60-1 T3/T04E setup

They redesigned the log zzp because the wastegate flange was breaking off (if you notice the welded they bars down for braces)

Ive heard it can cause problems by having the wastegate sitting the way it was.
And i bet you will have less clearance issues with Less space taken up by the wastegate being by that area.

i may also have the word wategate and Turbo switch... i couldnt remember just which one it was.

Last edited by ShortStack; 01-14-2009 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-14-2009, 12:32 PM
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by restonSS
im kind of liking hahns design. ok guys, heres what im going for. Im doing this in stages.
stage 1: manifold, turbo, wastegate, blow off valve, downpipe, sc delete adapter plate. 14-16 psi. 350 ish whp (run this for a bit until i get more funds)
stage 2: intake manifold, 79lb injectors or bigger, massive intercooler. 18-20 psi. 380 ish whp
stage 3: (summer time) pistons, rods, ported head maybe valves and springs w/ turbo cams. 500+ whp.

so these are my goals. i wont be taking any shortcuts bc i dont want to blow anything up lol. any suggestions from people would be great (mainly turbo wise) I want to go ballbearing obviously with a turbo this big, but journal bearing is more reliable. Im digging the hahn turbo manifold but dont know if it will allow a turbo that big to clear everything, can anyone answer that? thanks guys.

will that manifold allow a turbo as big as im looking for to clear everything? can you guarantee this? not bashing the product, but im a firm believer of you get what you pay for to an extent. you said it was good up to 465whp, well im shooting for over 500 definitely, or the build would be a waste to me.
If you want to shoot for higher numbers than anyone in the community has ever made, be prepared for some setbacks. ZZP currently has the highest HP turbo setup on record around here so I don't know why you'd be talking about buying other parts and asking me if I can guarantee ours at certain HP levels. I think you should be asking yourself if you're ready for what this entails and you'll need to work closely with ONE company to avoid problems. There's nothing worse than piece mealing a big build with no one resonsible for anything.
http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...les1.php?id=60

To run larger than 72# injectors you'll need a low impedence driver. Either way you'll need upgrades to the fuel system including higher voltage and/or a larger pump. You'll also need to reference boost pressure to fuel pressure.

Not really. The LNF manifold I believe has a T2 flange or something too small to produce high HP levels. If you were going much past 500WHP, I would start looking into T4 stuff.

They redesigned the log zzp because the wastegate flange was breaking off (if you notice the welded they bars down for braces)
Nothing was breaking off, but we had a couple develop cracks because the weight of the turbo combined with high temps caused cracks over time. There never was a crack at the wastegate flange, I'm not sure where you guys get this stuff... The supports and a change to the welding corrected the issue. We warranty our parts as well so the people with the older design were taken care of.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:36 PM

Yes im sorry.. I thought it broke off..

I guess i wasnt thinking in terms of Flanges, but more of just it being a manifold in general.

He is trying it fit a larger turbo, and hes worried about room...

With the extra braces though, and the seperated mount, that might be a little too much.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:42 PM

zoomer im ready, ive got some experience under my belt so relax. if you read what i said first off then you would realize im not shooting for this right off the bat. you seem to be in disbelief that im trying to break your companies goals. just fyi, i had a turbo tc that i personally built piece by piece with over 350 whp before any companies even came out with turbo kits. im not saying that is the best ever, but my point is just bc a company has the highest # doesnt mean a normal person cant beat it. now, this is for you specifically zoomer, can you guaruntee that a gt35r turbo will clear everything if i put it on your manifold? if you want feel free to pm me. thanks.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:43 PM

I have a 60-1 on a rebal manifold and it works perfect! Not that rebals a great company but it works great.

Vulcan makes one thats exactly the same and it will work on a 60-1 fine.

ZZP parts are great so dont bag on them too bad cuz they do make the highest hp turbo kit avalible now (I wish they would make more fuel system products!)
And i think the zzp manifold are built close to the same and it should hold a 60-1 perfectly cus it holds the Borg Warner turbo great! And those two turbos are very close! Also the gt35r is the same dimensions as the 60-1 and i think the BW turbo?
Old 01-14-2009, 12:44 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

is runing a hifi super60.

Ive heard it can cause problems by having the wastegate sitting the way it was.
And i bet you will have less clearance issues with Less space taken up by the wastegate being by that area.

i may also have the word wategate and Turbo switch... i couldnt remember just which one it was.
HiFi 60-1 T3/T04E setup lol.

best manifold for the money is the vulcan equal length or the synapse top mount (haven't seen one in person yet, but doing a swap on an 07 with their stuff)
For the power you want to make a equal length mani is the way to go for top end power. I did make over 400whp on a log style, but mine was also an ebay POS that I cut up and it leaked horribly lol.
I'm pretty sure I uploaded pics into my garage thingy but if not I know I posted pics of it installed somewhere on here.
As for fitment I did have issues with mine, but I sent the measurement and pics to vulcan and the redid the jig for it so all should be good now. Plus where it moves the turbo to, there is room to run a pretty damn large compressor housing.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:46 PM

Ha damn, i tried... lol..

I remember you saying you were gonna try the equal length...

What were your experiences?
Old 01-14-2009, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Zooomer
To run larger than 72# injectors you'll need a low impedence driver. Either way you'll need upgrades to the fuel system including higher voltage and/or a larger pump. You'll also need to reference boost pressure to fuel pressure.

nope, wrong.
There is car out there making 486whp on a stock fuel pump. I would upgrade though.
AS for injectors, Racetronix makes a nice setup of High Z disc style (few of us running the 79lb/hr on the stock computer with zero issues and better than stock driveability)

and as for the 465whp, unless you did cam work, it's just mathematically not possible on these cars.
If you really want proof of that pm me.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:56 PM

What fuel pumps are people running?

I heard that the welbro dont flow as well as the stock pumps at higher pressure?
Old 01-14-2009, 01:01 PM

What ever happened to those tubular log style manifolds that came up for sale in the begining of last year? Those were only like $125 and looked pretty clean.

When you say cheap ebay manifold do you mean this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CAVAL...Q5fAccessories
Old 01-14-2009, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by ebristol
What ever happened to those tubular log style manifolds that came up for sale in the begining of last year? Those were only like $125 and looked pretty clean.

When you say cheap ebay manifold do you mean this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CAVAL...Q5fAccessories
NO, that one's actually nice compared to the one I had lol.

Originally Posted by sleeperbalt
What fuel pumps are people running?

I heard that the welbro dont flow as well as the stock pumps at higher pressure?
I run the walbro GSS342 255lph high pressure one in my car and it works great. (my stock pump was f'd and was stuck at 78psi at idle for some odd reason, only reason I swapped it out).

Last edited by 06blackg85ss; 01-14-2009 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: turbo manifold