2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

valve train noise?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
valve train noise?

Last night I started my car up and to my surprise I heard a loud clicking/ticking/knocking noise coming from what sounded like the valve train. I checked the oil and to my surprise it was really low. I added 2 quarts and it was good but the noise is still there. I was wondering if anyone had and ideas and/or this problem before?
Old 07-18-2008, 10:05 PM

I've been having weird noises once the car warms up every once in awhile.... it went awhile for a couple months and just came back again... i know exactly what your talking about though
Old 07-18-2008, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by pinoypapi198369
Last night I started my car up and to my surprise I heard a loud clicking/ticking/knocking noise coming from what sounded like the valve train. I checked the oil and to my surprise it was really low. I added 2 quarts and it was good but the noise is still there. I was wondering if anyone had and ideas and/or this problem before?
I was hearing a noise coming from my 2006 Cobalt SS/SC and couldn't find out what it was so I started searching around and came across this video on youtube, check it out and let me know if this is the same noise that you are hearing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEPw78lAPl8
Old 07-18-2008, 11:26 PM

wow not nearly that bad.... hahah... if it makes noise i'll video it

This is what the guy posted

ok guys. this porblem has been solved! yay!
when the cat got broke. the engines manifold pressure out a lot of tension on the valve tran. this cuased the timing tensioners bolt to break and cause the chain to go loose. i took that video in feb and there only starting to fix it now.

And my flex in my cat actually tore but i've always had a slight clicking noise but nothing that radical

Last edited by 04Redline; 07-18-2008 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-18-2008, 11:28 PM

If your car sounds like the one in the video, it's likely that your timing chain tensioner spring is weak. GM has an updated tensioner to replace the one from the factory.

I just replaced mine a week ago along with the timing chain.

The noise will come and go. Sometimes it's loud and other times it's barely noticeable. Eventually it will do it all the time and is more noticeable in a fast food drive-thru.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by 04Redline
wow not nearly that bad.... hahah... if it makes noise i'll video it

This is what the guy posted

ok guys. this porblem has been solved! yay!
when the cat got broke. the engines manifold pressure out a lot of tension on the valve tran. this cuased the timing tensioners bolt to break and cause the chain to go loose. i took that video in feb and there only starting to fix it now.

And my flex in my cat actually tore but i've always had a slight clicking noise but nothing that radical
The thing is the chevy dealer told me that unless i can replicate the noise or unless they hear it they cant do anything about it!
Old 07-18-2008, 11:42 PM

there was a thread similar to this a couple weeks ago. they were sayin it was somethin about a coupler in the supercharger.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Rambotk3
The thing is the chevy dealer told me that unless i can replicate the noise or unless they hear it they cant do anything about it!
yep, holds true with pretty much any problem on a car

can't fix it if you can't duplicate it

Originally Posted by THRcobalt07
there was a thread similar to this a couple weeks ago. they were sayin it was somethin about a coupler in the supercharger.
easy way to check this is to remove the belt and spin the supercharger pulley back and forth by hand...if you feel slop then the coupler is the culprit....commonly sounds like marbles in a tin can when idling

Last edited by Mr_Slobalt; 07-19-2008 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-19-2008, 07:12 AM

I was hearing a noise coming from my 2006 Cobalt SS/SC and couldn't find out what it was so I started searching around and came across this video on youtube, check it out and let me know if this is the same noise that you are hearing.

Yes, very similar noise. I'm gonna have a friend who's a mechanic take a look at it on sunday
Old 07-19-2008, 10:17 AM

i have a knocking like nosie when i start my 06 but it goes away and my downpipe broke too! should i look in to the knocking now what do i look for timming chain??? broken DP playing a good role in it??
Old 08-08-2008, 05:02 AM

yeah, I too have a very similar noise at idle with my 06 but it is nowhere near that bad.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:22 PM

That is exactly what mine sounds like.....Car is at the garage right now, they are replacing the chain and the tensioner!
Old 08-12-2008, 11:04 PM

Well, just so everyone knows, got the car back today with the new timing chain tensioner and there is no more noise/rattle......finally!
Old 08-12-2008, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jesse_Chouinard
That is exactly what mine sounds like.....Car is at the garage right now, they are replacing the chain and the tensioner!
How did you get them to replace it? Did they hear it!
Old 08-12-2008, 11:50 PM

How did you get them to replace it? Did they hear it!
Yep, took a while though. They end up replacing the cam sensor and a bunch of other things untill the district engineer finally told them to look at the timing chain tensioner and sure enough it was that. I think the mechanic said something about losing pressure or a bad spring in there. I am really glad, the car sounded like **** all the time at the end, everytime i would come up to a stop!
Old 08-12-2008, 11:52 PM

Yep, took a while though. They end up replacing the cam sensor and a bunch of other things untill the district engineer finally told them to look at the timing chain tensioner and sure enough it was that. I think the mechanic said something about losing pressure or a bad spring in there. I am really glad, the car sounded like **** all the time at the end, everytime i would come up to a stop!
lmfao I did the same thing....replaced the camshaft position sensor housing first, then the tensioner

you could hear most of the noise inside the cps housing mainly becuase it was slightly hollow

I got pwned
Old 08-13-2008, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mr_Slobalt
lmfao I did the same thing....replaced the camshaft position sensor housing first, then the tensioner

you could hear most of the noise inside the cps housing mainly becuase it was slightly hollow

I got pwned

how much is the tensioner and how hard is it to replace? (I think that I may have this problem as well.) Also, can you post up the part #? Big help man.

My car isn't as loud as yours, but it has been a lot slower lately....maybe losing pressure or something? Can you please post up more on what the techs said about this issue and how they solved it please?

Last edited by burntorange; 08-13-2008 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-13-2008, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by burntorange
how much is the tensioner and how hard is it to replace? (I think that I may have this problem as well.) Also, can you post up the part #? Big help man.

My car isn't as loud as yours, but it has been a lot slower lately....maybe losing pressure or something? Can you please post up more on what the techs said about this issue and how they solved it please?
I am at work right now but when i get home at 7 i'll give you part numbers and more details. Mine started off with slight rattles once in a while but at the end it was all the time...Was kind of embarassed to drive the car around!

Okay, here is exactly what it says on my work order from the tech. : Engine rattle, took off timing chain and exhaust cam, replaced tensioner with new design.

here are all the parts and numbers :

gasket - 15235773
gasket - 15231157
converter - 15147065
core return - 15147065
sensor - 12578576
diff - z5000
tensioner - 12578209

good luck!! by the way mine felt slower at the end also....it felt like at low rpm there was nothing there...

Last edited by Jesse_Chouinard; 08-13-2008 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-13-2008, 11:35 AM

I am at work right now but when i get home at 7 i'll give you part numbers and more details. Mine started off with slight rattles once in a while but at the end it was all the time...Was kind of embarassed to drive the car around!

Okay, here is exactly what it says on my work order from the tech. : Engine rattle, took off timing chain and exhaust cam, replaced tensioner with new design.

here are all the parts and numbers :

gasket - 15235773
gasket - 15231157
converter - 15147065
core return - 15147065
sensor - 12578576
diff - z5000
tensioner - 12578209

good luck!! by the way mine felt slower at the end also....it felt like at low rpm there was nothing there...
oh my gosh! Mine feels really slow down low as well!!!! :0 I hope this is my long awaited problem!!!! Major MAJOR thanks man! You have helped me out a ton. This is what this forum is about!
Old 08-13-2008, 01:38 PM

oh my gosh! Mine feels really slow down low as well!!!! :0 I hope this is my long awaited problem!!!! Major MAJOR thanks man! You have helped me out a ton. This is what this forum is about!
Thats for sure, this site has helped me out numerous times.....good luck with everthing!!!