2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

victory_red_SS goes RWD

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 09:56 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 265 Likes on 182 Posts
The Project Lives

Great news!!!
The motor is being built finally and the Supercharger kit will be bought in early July

Originally Posted by 96S1
Hopefully you got the OK . . . that V-7 YSi would be awesome on your car!!!
I got the OK so it's a go. I will have to talk with ATI as I need my dampener to run both my drysump and the V-7 YSi-B. I'm wanting to use cog belts so I'm hoping it's an option.Vorthech's kit comes with a dampener and I already have one for the drysump but today's GREAT news adds another thing to deal with but I'm fine with that. With the extra work I am finally going to have the project breathe fire after waiting way too long. The money for the motor is in the bank and the supercharger is only a few weeks behind.
The following users liked this post:
cluelessk (05-25-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 12:19 AM
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by victory_red_SS
Great news!!!
The motor is being built finally and the Supercharger kit will be bought in early July
Nice!
Old 05-30-2018, 04:18 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

I was down to the engine builder's today and we are making a couple of changes to the engine.
First we are ditching the Dart racing heads in favor of a set of Brodix BP BR 7 BS 300 heads mostly because it allows for the 6 bolts per cylinder clamping power. Heads were ordered today.
Second we are upping the bore as required for the heads to 4.125 minimum bore (as specified by Brodix) which means new Diamond pistons. Once we bore the cylinders I will have a 427 cu displacement (6.997 L's) motor.
These heads will be matched to Crower rocker arms. I will also be upgrading the connecting rods as they aren't up to par with what is being built for me. Another expensive lesson from Resnick as he just through in what he had kicking around apparently.
Anyone want a set of Dart racing cylinder heads with cathedral ports?
Old 06-07-2018, 07:29 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

25% of the $$$ for the supercharger kits is in the bank. I have a meeting with the engine builder next Tuesday where I will be finalizing a parts list of items we still need to finish up the engine. I am actually getting excited about having a running engine/drivetrain. With all of the let downs of this project being excited hasn't happened in a few years.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:18 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Parts Buildup

Today I picked up some items that are for the wiring side of the project.

Holley HP EFI ECU and Touchscreen for tuning.

Holley LS main harness.

Holley EFI Smart Coils, O2 sensor and transbrake input protection (from electrical overload when releasing the transbrake).

I am still waiting on the injector harness which is being drop shipped.

I have a meeting tomorrow with Jim from Richmond Racing Engines and I will be finalizing another parts list which I will order so it's here on my next day off. It's finally time to make this thing real.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im so proud of you! and how you are making sure this will finish!! started following this thread like 10 years ago. i haven't had my Cobalt SS in a very long time and seeint your passion really really makes me miss all the time and money i put into mine and how quick it was! I love checking my email and seeing updates on this build!! i wish i made enough to give a helping hand when possible!!
victory_red_SS (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 10:14 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by craigk_c19
Im so proud of you! and how you are making sure this will finish! ! started following this thread like 10 years ago. i haven't had my Cobalt SS in a very long time and seeint your passion really really makes me miss all the time and money i put into mine and how quick it was! I love checking my email and seeing updates on this build!! i wish i made enough to give a helping hand when possible!!
The fact that you have been following this build for 10 years is just as impressive to me and even more so since you have moved on your own Cobalt. These cars are fun to have/drive.
I also want to say thank you for your post as there have been many times over the years that posts like yours was the only positive stuff my project had. Post like yours are an encouragement for me to keep moving forward even when at times that movement is barely noticeable.
I am still working tons of overtime and I only get a day or two off every two weeks. As of this weekend, overtime as allowed me to bank 5K towards the supercharger kit. While more days off would be nice I keep telling myself supercharger kit when think of taking the time off. After this project is done I'm sure I can have a week or two off to recharge.
I received the 16 injector harness for my Holley EFI system. I have the alternator, starter, flywheel, vibrant merge collectors, water pump and coil relocation kit all arriving early next week. Some of these parts I had paid for when the car was at Resnicks but he took those parts and put them on other customers cars.Next week when I get a day off I'll go to Richmond Racing Engines and hopefully my Brodix heads will be in along with my new pistons, rods and timing cover.
Exciting time for me right now. Now it is time to go to bed so I can get up and work another day.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:23 AM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
I'm also proud that you haven't gave up. I can say that hasn't been the case for me. I purchased my nova 24 years ago and it's seen several different combos. 400sbc, 355,383 etc. about 15 yrs ago I decided to get more serious with it and started really going for more- mini tubbed it, narrowed the frame, 8 point roll bar, etc. also about 10 yrs ago I redid the 406 and threw in a turbo 400.
It hasn't moved since due to me cutting the 1/4's off of it and starting to weld them out. That's where she sets in the garage. At this point I need to pull the motor out and apart and make sure everything is ok. I didn't have money years ago to get it where is wanted. Now I have the money but 0 time and motivation. I'm going to really concentrate on it over the winter and see if I can get it done and sell it in the spring. Glad you have pushed through on your project and all it took to get it where it is.
victory_red_SS (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 08:18 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS
I'm also proud that you haven't gave up...Glad you have pushed through on your project and all it took to get it where it is.
Thanks for the kind words. They do mean a lot to me. While there have been times I wondered if it was ever going to get finished I could never accept that all the grief with this project was for nothing. I now have someone I can trust in Jim from Richmond Racing Engines and he is hooking me up with other honest guys to do the work I can't do. The funny/sad part is they all know/knew Resnick and no one has a good thing to say about how he conducted business.

I can say that hasn't been the case for me. I purchased my nova 24 years ago … I'm going to really concentrate on it over the winter and see if I can get it done and sell it in the spring.
I hear and understand you on the motivation aspect as when my brother died in early 2015 it was just one week after he and I talked about getting my car done. After he was gone I didn't do a single thing to it for over three years. No motivation no desire BUT that changed as I made the choices I needed to jump start a stalled project. I suspect that once you start up again over the winter perhaps you too will start to get excited once again and just maybe having some fun in your Nova will change your mind on selling it. A '63 isn't so readily available these days and after 24 years I'm thinking when the time to choose to sell it comes you may be like me and not be able to actually pull the pin and say goodbye.

Update

I have been having no Luck with finding an intake manifold that is going to fit in the space I have because of where the engine sits. The high-rise intake manifolds are 2-3 inches too high and most of the low-rise manifolds peak out too low on the power band. I made the choice yesterday to order a Wilson manifold as I know it fits as I had one test fitted before. I had the same manifold but with cathedral ports. I talked with Wilson yesterday and they assured me that it will be plenty stout enough to handle all the boost that I am going to throw at it.

ATI shipped out my damper and mandrel for the Vortech and drysump pump so they will here sometime next week with other parts I ordered. The Brodix heads should arrive at about the same time as they just have to bore out the heads to take the 1/2" ARP studs. We are going to be using Callie's newest connecting rods the Enforcer which are good for 300 HP per cylinder. We will be topping that off with Diamond pistons.

I will keep the updates coming as they happen. Thanks for taking the time to follow this project.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:47 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
I honestly cannot wait to see the first start video on this car. The followed by multiple burnout and 1/4mile pass videos
victory_red_SS (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 09:40 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by ECaulk
I honestly cannot wait to see the first start video on this car. The followed by multiple burnout and 1/4mile pass videos
You and me both The first video will be when it is stared for the first time on the engine dyno. We are going to run it first on the dyno to see what it is making naturally aspirated. After that I will spend quite a bit of time putting the Vortech Supercharger on it for a few more pulls on the engine dyno. It is going to be one sweet sound when this thing first fires up.

UPDATE

Powermaster Performance Alternator low mount /bracket and Powermaster Performance Starter.

JEGS' own SEFI 29.1 approved LS flywheel.

Holley EFI Smart Plugs relocation kit.

Corvette Waterpump

Holley Dominator EFI ECU

Other parts were picked up today. The Holley HP ECU got swapped out for the Dominator ECU on the suggestion from the tuner.

There is a space issue for where the drysump pump needs to go because my engine cradle doesn't leave enough clearance for the new oil pan Jim wants use so we might be going with a front and rear mounting plates.

I think it's time to work for a couple of weeks and stop buying stuff. There are lots o things left to get and I'd like to buy everything right now.

I do have a question for people on here regarding the LS throttle body. We are going to be using a LS 102 mm throttle body and I'm wondering which one stands up better in high boost applications? I have read about the butterfly having issues under pressure. Any thought and suggestion on which one to order? Is it the same thing as with other product that if it's low priced it's a knockoff not worth buying?

Last edited by victory_red_SS; 06-22-2018 at 09:45 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:24 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Update

Vortech Supercharger Kit Ordered

It wasn’t cheap but buying it from JEGS instead of Vortech saved me $2600.00 CA. It should be in my hands the third week of July. I bought Vortech part # 4GE218-150 with the billet wheel upgrade which will produce 1450 hp at the flywheel. This kit has the cog drive setup so the only spinning will be the wheels during the burnouts.

Obviously I am very stoked right now.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:44 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Second Update Today

When I ordered my Wilson LS7 Low-rise billet intake manifold last week I was told 4-6 weeks was the lead time to get it made. That was great because it gave me time to bank the money for it which I needed considering all I spent lately. That all went out the window today as 2 hours after I ordered the supercharger kit I get a call from Freddy at Wilson Manifolds. The intake was done and ready for shipping which means ‘time to pay’. Crap because I wasn’t ready for that news. I had to do some juggling around but the manifold is now on its way and I should have it late next week. That’s if my wife doesn’t kill me first because when she sees today’s bills I will have some explaining to do

Now the upside is that at our weekly safety meeting today I won $100. so I am only down $15K on the day.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:48 PM

Holy crap you are going top shelf all out. Congrats on winning the $100!
Old 06-30-2018, 06:40 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Holy crap you are going top shelf all out. Congrats on winning the $100!
Thanks, the first thing I did when I got home last night was give the $100. to my wife I might have forgot to mention my purchases for the day but she will enjoy spending my winnings just the same.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:42 AM

Good job of greasing the skids. Giving her some money to spend helps to smooth over you spending it. I've done the same.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:04 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Good job of greasing the skids. Giving her some money to spend helps to smooth over you spending it. I've done the same.
It's called 'self preservation'
Old 06-30-2018, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

Update

Vortech Supercharger Kit Ordered

It wasn’t cheap but buying it from JEGS instead of Vortech saved me $2600.00 CA. It should be in my hands the third week of July. I bought Vortech part # 4GE218-150 with the billet wheel upgrade which will produce 1450 hp at the flywheel. This kit has the cog drive setup so the only spinning will be the wheels during the burnouts.

Obviously I am very stoked right now.
Dude, awesome!

Can't wait to see it run, man that thing's gonna be a red rocket!!!

That V-7 YSi is a badass unit!
Old 06-30-2018, 10:00 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by 96S1
Dude, awesome!

Can't wait to see it run, man that thing's gonna be a red rocket!!!

That V-7 YSi is a badass unit!
It will definitely be one great ride down the track. I'm getting excited just waiting for it to fire for the first time.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:15 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

UPDATE

So I have some things to share. The first pictures will be my Wilson Manifolds LS7 Billet Intake Manifold that will be matched with a 102mm throttle body. I just picked this up today and when I showed it to Jim at Richmond Engines he fell in love with it. This is a sexy piece and is capable of holding north of 50lbs of boost, more than enough for my project.

The next items are some other parts that have arrived recently. They include my ATI Damper with drysump mandrel, the JEGS 102mm throttle body and my Vibrant collectors.

ATI Damper

JEGS 102mm Throttle body

Holley Smart Coils with relocation brackets

Vibrant collector

Vibrant collector

Vibrant collectors

These last pictures are of go fast parts but I sold some parts I wasn't using and I ordered up a set of Proform wireless 7,000lb (total) corner scales. Once the car is getting ready to be tracked I will be able to weigh and adjust weight so all corners are equal. Considering the HP that I will be making this is as much for safety as it is for performance. They even come in a sturdy carrying case.

Proform 7,000LB Wireless corner scales

Proform 7,000LB Wireless corner scales

Proform 7,000LB Wireless corner scales touchscreen.

The Brodix heads are supposed to arrive in the next few days and I found out the Vortech supercharger is on backorder until about the 25th of this month. Once more things arrive/happen I will post it up to let everyone know. We should have a decision on connecting rods by my next update too.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:21 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Very nice, parts **** is always welcome
Old 07-18-2018, 09:55 PM

Good stuff!
Old 08-02-2018, 10:44 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by ECaulk
Very nice, parts **** is always welcome
I'm glad you feel that way because here I go again.

After waiting just over 1 month for the kit to ship out I have received my best early Christmas present. Vortech's V7 Camaro 2010 - 2013 Supercharger kit.

Vortech's Camaro 2010 - 2013 Supercharger kit
Vortech's Camaro 2010 - 2013 Supercharger kit
It has been a slow go getting to this point but having this kit in my hands puts me further along in this project than I've been before. I was arranging with Jim over at Richmond Racing Engines yesterday to get a block/heads/assorted other parts that I need so I can do a mock-up and see how this is going to fit in the car. The air2air cooler is likely going to be a challenge. The cooler is big, heavy and a real quality piece. How the charge piping is going to go will be interesting as will the placement of the blower and bracketry. I have a feeling the dry sump canister is going to be in the way. Then, that is the reason to do a mock-up at this point.

The next couple of pictures are sweet for me.

Vortech V7 YSI-B
Vortech V7 YSIB
Vortech V7 YSI-B See where it says RACE, in all capital letters? That right there is the money shot.

There are a few parts in the kit which I won't have any use for but I knew that going into the purchase. The kit did have a couple of items that needed to be taken care of such as it was missing the MAF sensor and connection for it. It also came with a race bypass valve that was good for 600hp. On the phone with Vortech and they agreed to let me send back the bypass valve which they will credit towards the correct one I need for this blower. Originally they didn't want to but after explaining that I called Vortech before ordering the billet wheel upgrade, which makes this the YSIB version of model and capable of 1400+ HP, they helped me out. When they ship the new race bypass valve they will also include the parts not in my original shipment.

Well the next parts to arrive are the heads which I had expected to be here already so hopefully when I pickup the dummy block for mock-up I will get to touch these Brodix heads to.

Thanks for reading.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:41 PM

That looks like fun
Old 08-02-2018, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member

Vortech V7 YSI-B See where it says RACE, in all capital letters? That right there is the money shot.
Dude awesome ! ! !

That blower is bad freakin' ass man, I simply cannot wait to see and hear it on your car. Beast will be an understatement.

Check this crazy ass setup, this dude decided he needed 2 of those ! ! !

View this post on Instagram

Quick Reply: victory_red_SS goes RWD