2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

victory_red_SS goes RWD

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 05:45 PM

Received 533 Likes on 457 Posts
Originally Posted by victory_red_SS
Yes, it was a while but I wanted to keep moving forward even without a job. The stuff I can do myself helps.

I have both of my daughters, and 1 grand daughter visiting this week from Kitchener. Ontario so that has slowed me down this week. Still, I am hoping to be at the final coat stage before Saturday because the owner of one of the companies, that I am considering to work for, is coming by my house Saturday morning. No better resume than showing him what I can do when it comes to painting.
Absolutely. Good luck! Hopefully you'll land it
The following users liked this post:
BlackielawlessSS (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 05:58 PM

Received 615 Likes on 464 Posts
Looking like some good progress Rod! When you are done painting the Cobalt, I will bring my Bug up to you for the same special treatment!
Old 08-20-2020, 06:00 PM

Received 839 Likes on 736 Posts
Damn that looks good. Good luck with the interview, hopefully he's impressed by your work and dedication to a project.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:20 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 265 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by ProfDNS
Absolutely. Good luck! Hopefully you'll land it
Thanks. In covid days a lot of people are applying for theses jobs.

Originally Posted by 5-Speed
Looking like some good progress Rod! When you are done painting the Cobalt, I will bring my Bug up to you for the same special treatment!
That works for me. We even have a guest room that you can use. I have already sprayed 1 bug in the past. Besides doing my car, my neighbor wants me to spray his '70 Cuda at the beginning of next month. Who knows, maybe automotive sprayer will be my next version of painter.

Originally Posted by ECaulk
Damn that looks good. Good luck with the interview, hopefully he's impressed by your work and dedication to a project.
Thanks. It sounds like the job is mine if I want it. For me the bottom line is wages and this company sounds like they will pay a person's worth. Too many times in painting, a company owner will hire a chimpanzee for bananas if the chimpanzee can do the job.
Old 08-20-2020, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
Awesome update!! I can't wait to see it all together and running. Good luck on that job man!!
Old 08-21-2020, 12:16 AM

That works for me. We even have a guest room that you can use. I have already sprayed 1 bug in the past. Besides doing my car, my neighbor wants me to spray his '70 Cuda at the beginning of next month. Who knows, maybe automotive sprayer will be my next version of painter.
don't temp me like that. Never been to CAN before. I at least have 90% of the body work done. We could knock it out in a weekend for sure. I don't mind road trips but you may be a bit far....
Old 08-21-2020, 10:20 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
Very nice! Getting so close.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:27 AM

don't temp me like that. Never been to CAN before. I at least have 90% of the body work done. We could knock it out in a weekend for sure. I don't mind road trips but you may be a bit far....
For you, might not be a good time to go to BC since you have California plates. Even Albertans are getting pissed off with the Americans coming over and cars have been getting vandalized.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:40 AM

For you, might not be a good time to go to BC since you have California plates. Even Albertans are getting pissed off with the Americans coming over and cars have been getting vandalized.
i'd bet he doesn't have Cali plates on that bug, but I get your point. He couldn't get into Canada right now unless he's a dual citizen. Your government is saying no entry to all US citizen
Old 08-21-2020, 12:13 PM

i'd bet he doesn't have Cali plates on that bug, but I get your point. He couldn't get into Canada right now unless he's a dual citizen. Your government is saying no entry to all US citizen
Yep I got AZ plates on it. Its going to be a while before I can make my way up there anyways.
victory_red_SS (08-21-2020)
Old 08-21-2020, 12:16 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by Snail_SS
Awesome update!! I can't wait to see it all together and running. Good luck on that job man!!
Thanks, more updates coming as the paint job and installing the interior and glass is to come.

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
Very nice! Getting so close.
Thanks, I can't wait to do burnouts and wake up the neighbors.

I totally forget that border issue. I have mostly kept on with a normal life except for wearing a mask indoors when not at home. My next door neighbor bought a Jeep in Alberta (he has a company there) and his wife had to finally get BC plates because her Jeep was keyed twice.

There was once away but since our government decided to hand out passes that are required to enter Alaska, that door is now shut.
5-Speed (08-25-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 02:26 PM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
Looking better than ever
Old 10-18-2020, 10:45 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

The past couple of months has been a pain due to having been laid off. I finally got a job 3 weeks ago but it's more of a fill in for now because it isn't what I want and it pays less than I need. Having said that, I am making some money and I can get on with some of the remaining items. I have also been doing more painting at the engine builder's home and by the end of this project, I won't have a bill for the remaining few items.

I picked up a couple of Quick Time Performance 3.5" cutouts for the exhaust system. I chose to use cutouts and a muffler simply so when ever it's running in my garage it needs to be quiet enough not to **** off my wife. Otherwise, I would just have run straight pipes.

I have an appointment for next weekend to have the exhaust done. This is one of the few remaining items that will likely cost me more $$$ than I want. If you look at the pictures below you will see that there isn't a lot of room from the end of the collectors to the front of the rear tires where the pipe exits. The sad part with the lack of room is the exhaust shop used 2 words that make me cringe, "custom mufflers". If in the end, I can't fit the cutouts and mufflers under the car, then I return the cutouts and buy my wife a set of 101 decibel ear muffs.

QTP 3.5" cutouts

QTP 3.5" cutouts

Not much room for mufflers

Seriously, no room for mufflers.

As I look at these pictures, I'm coming to the conclusion that I need to go buy the wife earmuffs.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:29 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Now I am playing hooky from my side job to take measurements on the underside of the car. I am not an exhaust expert but I do know I want everything as high as possible to keep my ground clearance as low as possible.

I have 31" from where the exhaust cutouts would end to where the center of the side exhaust cutouts are placed. I only 6.5" between where the chassis rail is to where the chromoly chassis stiffeners are. The next issue is underneath the chromoly rails is a lack of clearance. Add to that the floor supports which become an issue just because of the positioning of the cutouts. Obviously I need to position the exit of the cutouts away from the underside of the car.

Decisions, decisions. I theroetically could just tell the exhaust shop to cut through the floor, make the exhaust and have the fabricator close everything up again afterwards. The problem with that is we are back to that word that makes me cringe, "custom" which feels a lot like being violated. Even if this idea would work, I am still constrained by the 6.5" between the chassis rails and the stiffening tubes.

I guess I need to call the fabrication shop tomorrow.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:26 PM

Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts
Could you run glass pack mufflers? something similar to this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...xoCdjMQAvD_BwE
Old 10-18-2020, 09:02 PM

You might have to run resonators over a "muffler" something like : Vibrant Resonator
Old 10-19-2020, 08:30 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Thanks for the help guys. I like both ideas better than I like cutting up the car to fit an exhaust pipe down the side.

Originally Posted by tomss
Could you run glass pack mufflers? something similar to this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...xoCdjMQAvD_BwE
Thanks for the suggestion. So far the biggest one I can find is 3" OD. I'll keep looking as I am running 3.5" exhausts.
You might have to run resonators over a "muffler" something like : Vibrant Resonator
These I found in 3.5" OD. I have sent both suggestions on to the exhaust shop.

The good news is that the passenger side has more room for piping as it was designed for an exhaust many years ago when it was going to be the LSJ version of this project.
Old 10-19-2020, 01:26 PM

There is plenty of room under there! I am very limited on room in my Bug for exhaust so I used something like this. Looks like it should fit based on dimensions.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-14161
Old 10-19-2020, 01:48 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

There is plenty of room under there! I am very limited on room in my Bug for exhaust so I used something like this. Looks like it should fit based on dimensions.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-14161
Thanks Sean, that looks very promising. I have sent that link to the exhaust shop. Perhaps my biggest issue is going to be the positioning of the cut-outs exit pipes.

If we need to wait a week to get the needed parts in hand, that's fine with me.

I have also decided to hold off on spraying the car victory red until after the fabricator is finished with the car. At the price for quality top coat, I don't want to have to respray the topcoat. Considering that the car won't be at the track until April at the earliest, I'm going to work on doing the remaining jobs as efficiently as possible.
Old 10-19-2020, 03:00 PM

Thanks Sean, that looks very promising. I have sent that link to the exhaust shop. Perhaps my biggest issue is going to be the positioning of the cut-outs exit pipes.

If we need to wait a week to get the needed parts in hand, that's fine with me.

I have also decided to hold off on spraying the car victory red until after the fabricator is finished with the car. At the price for quality top coat, I don't want to have to respray the topcoat. Considering that the car won't be at the track until April at the earliest, I'm going to work on doing the remaining jobs as efficiently as possible.
I honestly say ditch the cutouts. Its going to be loud with those mufflers since they are a straight-thru design. I have 2 on my Bug (in line) and with its last engine, it idled at something like 93 decibels and hit 110 on a rev.

Good call on waiting to paint. Its always the other people you have to worry about screwing up a fresh paint job.
victory_red_SS (10-20-2020)
Old 10-20-2020, 11:55 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

I honestly say ditch the cutouts. Its going to be loud with those mufflers since they are a straight-thru design. I have 2 on my Bug (in line) and with its last engine, it idled at something like 93 decibels and hit 110 on a rev.

Good call on waiting to paint. Its always the other people you have to worry about screwing up a fresh paint job.
If they are straight through they shouldn’t hinder flow. I’m leaning towards just doing straight pipes because if it’s only going to reduce sounds minimally I should just save the money and deal with the noise during tuning. My wife did ask how often I would need to be running the car in the garage. She did say that she would deal with the noise.

As far as the paint job I agree, do it as the last thing before I install the glass and then tune.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:56 AM

I mean honestly for the garage if you're just warming the engine up to keep things lubricated and not driving far, design/mock something up to slide over the straight pipe and reduce the sound. If you're planning on driving around you wouldn't be able to do that.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:14 PM

Glad you're back at it with some updates!
Old 10-20-2020, 02:22 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

I mean honestly for the garage if you're just warming the engine up to keep things lubricated and not driving far, design/mock something up to slide over the straight pipe and reduce the sound. If you're planning on driving around you wouldn't be able to do that.
The car won’t be street driven with the race motor so this option actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks
Old 10-20-2020, 05:29 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

I stopped in at the exhaust shop today and made the choice to go with 3.5" pipe all the way back, dumping out before the rear tires. Next year when I do a street able crate engine, I will deal with a smaller exhaust system that would then work with in my space constraints. If needed I will go with ECaulk's suggestion about making up something to slip over the end of the exits. The exhaust guy agreed with that idea that would quieten down the car enough to appease my wife.
BlackielawlessSS (10-21-2020)

Quick Reply: victory_red_SS goes RWD