2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Want to get 500 hp . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 05:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
500hp in a cobalt haha i fell off my bed laughing.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why are you even listening to those morons? they obviously haven't got a clue,
people have been making 500+ hp from four cylinder motors forever. If you have enough money and knowhow, it is definitely possible.

There is a local here with a Mustang that has an old school thunderbird turbo 2.3 in it. This is a full metal body car with glass windows and full interior running 8.6 in the 1/4 mile. I'm fairly certain he is over 500hp.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:43 AM

Its kind of like the guys back in the early 70's with 500 hp v8's in their Vegas and Pintos. Yea its fast but its still a Vega/Pinto..LOL
same goes for the Cobalt.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Darkmanx
500hp in a cobalt haha i fell off my bed laughing.
I'm sure Rod or myself would be happy to keep you rolling on the floor....
Old 04-18-2008, 08:39 AM

i really don't know why you guys even respond to post like this... i mean.. seriously.. if somebody wants to make a 500 hp car... but then.. themselves not go looking for what needs to be done to get there.. or already have a clue as to what will be needed.. then dont bother answering b/c its no more then your typical kid spewing a bunch of ****.

I stopped reading when his first response was pretty much saying he wish somebody would tell him "what to do"... right.. bring on the next 18y/o thread like this
Old 04-18-2008, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by 07MidnightCobalt
I have a 2007 SS/SC Black cobalt with under 13k miles ... just bought 29 march of 08 and am loving it so far, I was told that I couldnt get 500hp out of that car by a co-worker of mine. I want to get some info from you guys because yall seem to know a ton more about these 4 cylinder engines than i do. I am used to the standard V-8 traditional muscle cars so the inline-4 cyl engines are a whole new deal to me. I am going to start with a cat-back exhaust than go to the exhaust manifold, injectors (not sure wether or not to go higher then a 42# injector which if i remember right is the standard stage 1 kit). after that im going to go for the "7*" mm pully not sure what actuall size it is any more. . . bad memory with this due to being new to a cobalt, but going to also get the shorter belt and i guess what would compose the stage 3 kit but from other companies to cut the money down since money is tight right now. I'm truly hoping to get some useful information from all of the experienced ecotech 2.0 SS guys.
I deal with maintenance so im almost gaurentee'd that if it has directions to it and pictures i can do it with the right tools. but any help and support yall can give would be greatly appreciated to a newly dedicated SS/SC Cobalt owner. thanks in advance,
Justin.

Read up on the Hahn Turbo kit. It's already in progress. It's possible, just requires a lot of work. But a street legal 500hp cobalt is possible.

Originally Posted by Acidangel_5.0
i really don't know why you guys even respond to post like this... i mean.. seriously.. if somebody wants to make a 500 hp car... but then.. themselves not go looking for what needs to be done to get there.. or already have a clue as to what will be needed.. then dont bother answering b/c its no more then your typical kid spewing a bunch of ****.

I stopped reading when his first response was pretty much saying he wish somebody would tell him "what to do"... right.. bring on the next 18y/o thread like this
because not everyone in this community is condescending and we realize that everyone has to start out car-ignorant before they can become car-savvy. quit being a dick and start educating your fellow car enthusiast.

Last edited by roadrage06; 04-18-2008 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-18-2008, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by roadrage06
because not everyone in this community is condescending and we realize that everyone has to start out car-ignorant before they can become car-savvy. quit being a dick and start educating your fellow car enthusiast.
Which is exactly why I joined the site. You guys seemed really helpful and car-savvy so I figured any questions I had would be getting great answers. Don't become the 1st dick I've come across on these forums
Old 04-18-2008, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by OriGinaL Condo
Which is exactly why I joined the site. You guys seemed really helpful and car-savvy so I figured any questions I had would be getting great answers. Don't become the 1st dick I've come across on these forums
same reason I joined. I can't stand people that have to turn people away like that. he talks about "why do we even answer these threads..." if he's not gonna offer a good answer and just insult the person... why does he bother answering. could the Original poster have done a search... yes, but maybe he doesn't know there is a search option. I simply gave him a reference thread... took 5 seconds out of my life.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:28 AM

same reason I joined. I can't stand people that have to turn people away like that. he talks about "why do we even answer these threads..." if he's not gonna offer a good answer and just insult the person... why does he bother answering. could the Original poster have done a search... yes, but maybe he doesn't know there is a search option. I simply gave him a reference thread... took 5 seconds out of my life.
excuse me? i enjoy helping and answering.. i been here a long time and this is a typical thread that comes and goes.. i want to see REAL post and REAL questions and people wanting REAL help.. this is a bullshit thread and you know this also.. if not then your young.. i hear this question all the damn time.. and its always coming from your typical "wannabe ricer" type person.. who talks a bunch of **** and never gets anything done... i want to see/read threads of REAL questions.. not tell somebody who wants to build a 500 hp car how to build one... anybody with more then 2 brain cells knows if your going down that route.. YOU need to be researching and not asking for a "how-to-guide"... this thread/question is no more technical/car related then me sitting in a circle with buds drinking beer just bullshitting about "what ifs" and "Wants" that we would like... that is NOT what this forum is for.. he even stats "that money is tight right now" ... so...just saying
Old 04-18-2008, 09:40 AM

excuse me? i enjoy helping and answering.. i been here a long time and this is a typical thread that comes and goes.. i want to see REAL post and REAL questions and people wanting REAL help.. this is a bullshit thread and you know this also.. if not then your young.. i hear this question all the damn time.. and its always coming from your typical "wannabe ricer" type person.. who talks a bunch of **** and never gets anything done... i want to see/read threads of REAL questions.. not tell somebody who wants to build a 500 hp car how to build one... anybody with more then 2 brain cells knows if your going down that route.. YOU need to be researching and not asking for a "how-to-guide"... this thread/question is no more technical/car related then me sitting in a circle with buds drinking beer just bullshitting about "what ifs" and "Wants" that we would like... that is NOT what this forum is for.. he even stats "that money is tight right now" ... so...just saying
I agree, when you've been here a while, the BS threads gets annoying. But it's like an adult with a kid... you gotta be bigger and maintain your patience. I'm pretty sure I asked a lot of really dumb questions when I first joined. But I'm glad someone explained stuff to me and taught me how to use the site also. I dunno, you're right and I see where you're coming from completely, but I like this site and even when I get a different car and start a huge build FOR REAL like this kid is just talking **** about... I'll still use this site for answers because people know what they're talking about. So, I hate to see the rude answers sometimes.

That's why my original post gave him the Hahn thread. I figure even if he's just trying to settle some dumb bet/argument, he'll get his answer... if he's for real... he'll get his answer. But I see from your response, you're not a dick, so I apologize.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:44 AM

I agree, when you've been here a while, the BS threads gets annoying. But it's like an adult with a kid... you gotta be bigger and maintain your patience. I'm pretty sure I asked a lot of really dumb questions when I first joined. But I'm glad someone explained stuff to me and taught me how to use the site also. I dunno, you're right and I see where you're coming from completely, but I like this site and even when I get a different car and start a huge build FOR REAL like this kid is just talking **** about... I'll still use this site for answers because people know what they're talking about. So, I hate to see the rude answers sometimes.

That's why my original post gave him the Hahn thread. I figure even if he's just trying to settle some dumb bet/argument, he'll get his answer... if he's for real... he'll get his answer. But I see from your response, you're not a dick, so I apologize.
its all gravy man... most of the time i love answering questions.. but its completely obvious this is like a "circle jerk" thread for the boys to ditto about.. which is fine.. but it needs to be in the lounge... i just get very "rrr" when i see these kinda threads in the "technical" forum parts.. it makes it a real hassle trying to find help when digging through garbage.. i hate trying to find good info in the crap.. and i know other people do it.. next time ill try to come across a little "nicer".. i guess old man GTFO works good for me
Old 04-18-2008, 09:45 AM

well not exactly what i was looking for, i was actually looking for people who actually know what they are talking about to tell me either how to achieve my goal or to tell me how i can get as close to it as possible, and for the turbo option thanks for giving helpful information, if the future postercs can go into more detail i might actually have a chance at achieving my goal. (the snail analogy did not help at all sorry)
i'd say 400hp would be walking the fine line of being awesome and blowing a piston through your hood. turbo is definitly the way to go. look at the official horsepower thread. one guy made 411hp to the tire with a 60 trim turbo setup. anything beyond that is uncharted territory.
with your stock supercharger you'd be damn lucky to see 300whp. the guys with the smallest pullies (2.5,2.6,2.7) are making between 250-290 with only a few exceptions. it really just not capable of making the power you want, therefore modifying it for more power is a waste of time and money. nitrous is an option, but spraying a big shot(100+) will most certainly snap a rod or worse... save up like $5,000 and wait for the Hahn Racecraft turbo conversion to drop. (coming soon)
Old 04-18-2008, 09:49 AM

its all gravy man... most of the time i love answering questions.. but its completely obvious this is like a "circle jerk" thread for the boys to ditto about.. which is fine.. but it needs to be in the lounge... i just get very "rrr" when i see these kinda threads in the "technical" forum parts.. it makes it a real hassle trying to find help when digging through garbage.. i hate trying to find good info in the crap.. and i know other people do it.. next time ill try to come across a little "nicer".. i guess old man GTFO works good for me
lol...it's short and to the point

I'm looking to lower my monthly payments and insurance by getting a used car and getting a four door. This will also set me up for a future with a car that will fit a family ( have a g/f of 4 years, gonna upgrade her to the Mrs shortly). I'm gonna look for an Audi S4. Then I'm going big or going home, either with the AWE kit or getting a local turbo shop to see if they can do it for cheaper. But I'll be shooting for this kids 500hp mark. The AWE kit makes 460hp. I know nothing about turbos.....so I'll definitely be back asking questions.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:56 AM

just buy a corvette if you want 500hp, itll be cheaper and worth it :]
Old 04-18-2008, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by britt
just buy a corvette if you want 500hp, itll be A.)cheaper and B.)worth it :]
how?

A.) 23,000 for car + 10,000 for turbo kit and supporting mods = 33,000 even with all numbers rounded UP to be safe. A Corvette with 500hp (the only one is the ZO6) is about 70,000. Not even close

B.) He wouldn't be able to afford to fill up the tank which is definitely not worth it.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:45 AM

^^exactly
Old 04-18-2008, 11:19 AM

I deal with maintenance so im almost gaurentee'd that if it has directions to it and pictures i can do it with the right tools. but any help and support yall can give would be greatly appreciated to a newly dedicated SS/SC Cobalt owner. thanks in advance,
Justin.
Welcome to the board, Justin. First off, I'll say that there is some wisdom smattered in the previous posts. The problem with the LSJ motor is that the stock internals are only 100% reliable up to around 300HP. The Eaton M62 can only push about 320 HP before it is run beyond recommended RPMs... the stock trans will grenade if you push too much power through it, and there's guys snapping stock axles with drag radials left and right.

Seriously, though, if you're considering it, you should devour everything in the GM Sport Compact build book and learn what's there. They tell you exactly which parts failed at what power levels, and even give you part numbers as you go.

If you're going over 350HP, I'd recommend going turbo, simply for the fact that so much power will be lost spinning a blower at those power levels... and if you don't like the lag from a huge turbo, consider using a sequential small/large dual turbo setup.

You will wind up spending more money than you thought you would, and will break things you didn't even know existed on the car. Is it possible? Absolutely. But as has been stated, a well-sorted 300HP car is a hell of a lot more fun than a 450+ HP car that always breaks. You can get 300-320 HP out of the stock engine with simple bolt-ons and tuning. Beyond that, well... all bets are off.

By all means, don't be discouraged. I'd build it up to 300HP first, see how you like it, and then consider if you want to spend the huge money making the car marginally faster.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by FunkyStickman
Welcome to the board, Justin. First off, I'll say that there is some wisdom smattered in the previous posts. The problem with the LSJ motor is that the stock internals are only 100% reliable up to around 300HP. The Eaton M62 can only push about 320 HP before it is run beyond recommended RPMs... the stock trans will grenade if you push too much power through it, and there's guys snapping stock axles with drag radials left and right.

Seriously, though, if you're considering it, you should devour everything in the GM Sport Compact build book and learn what's there. They tell you exactly which parts failed at what power levels, and even give you part numbers as you go.

If you're going over 350HP, I'd recommend going turbo, simply for the fact that so much power will be lost spinning a blower at those power levels... and if you don't like the lag from a huge turbo, consider using a sequential small/large dual turbo setup.

You will wind up spending more money than you thought you would, and will break things you didn't even know existed on the car. Is it possible? Absolutely. But as has been stated, a well-sorted 300HP car is a hell of a lot more fun than a 450+ HP car that always breaks. You can get 300-320 HP out of the stock engine with simple bolt-ons and tuning. Beyond that, well... all bets are off.

By all means, don't be discouraged. I'd build it up to 300HP first, see how you like it, and then consider if you want to spend the huge money making the car marginally faster.
There you go...good post.

if you want 500HP here are the semi-detailed steps:

- Tear down your engine as per the build book and bag/tag everything.
- Get your stock sleeves machine out.
- Have the block checked for cracks and stress.
- Fuly deburr and clean the block of casting flashes.
- chamfer oil holes/galleries (optional but always a good mod)
- Press in stainless steel or nodular iron sleeves and bore out to stock specs and hone according to reccommendations provided by whatever piston/ring you are going with.
- check deck truness and machine if needed.
- determine what forged piston you want to go with (compression ratios, etc) to replace your stock pistons.
- Replace stock rods with beefier units (Crower, Eagle, etc make direct replacements).
- Crank is good at this power level. You may want to have it balanced and spec-checked.
- You may want to get your crank bearings checked / line honed / replaced - if they need it.
- Assemble bottom end.

- Have the head deburred, ported, and cleaned.
- More agressive cams (264 / 272 grinds?)
- Upgraded valves (Stainless or sodium filled)
- Upgraded springs, guides, rollers, etc for high RPMs
- Replace strech bolts with head studs (ARP, etc).
- Assemble head.

Assemble motor - use new bolts - follow the build book to the letter. As for what power adders to use...that is up tp you but forget about the stock m62 blower.

Keep in mind that you will need a clutch upgrade, possibly a tranny rebuild - if anyone even does that for our cars, chassis upgrades, tuning, full gauge package, fueling mods (full return system - manifold pressure referenced), injectors, axles, etc.

This will NOT be cheap so if you are on a tight budget, just hold off until you have the money to complete things. For a good engine shop to build to do the engine machining and assembly will cost you between 5K and 7K (including parts) - so be ready to puke that up right off the bat - if you cannot afford this...dont even bother as it will juts cost you more down the raod if you try to cheap out on this. You are easily looking at another 3-5K for all other supporting mods. If you are getting good deals, you could do this *right* for 10K and have a fully built, street driven cobalt.

For now, get the LSJ and L61 build books and read read read.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:51 AM

well no one has touched on the new zzp twin charge kit. Its been said before so I won't beat a dead horse but you have a lot of options its just up to you to pick and choose what your gonna do and figure out the rest along the way. We will all be here to help so when you start def ask questions and keep us informed
Old 04-18-2008, 11:52 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
Want to get 500 hp . . .
Buy a S/C Cobra . . .

Or a ZR1 . . .

Or the new CTS-V . . .
Old 04-18-2008, 04:11 PM

thanks for the good information and some of the not so helpful information, i didnt try to clog up your forums when i am definately going to try to do it but when i said i am a bit "tight" on money i ment that i am in the military with a few bad habits. but i figure if i save up for about 10 months i can easily achieve $3500 and hopefully i can test and make rank then it will be easier with the significant upgrade in cash flow. I have my brother helping me out with looking for parts which he has found every part that i have with a large difference in price which is still going to take a long time for me to do but im going to give it a valiant effort. and once again i appoligize if i look like im trying to "contaminate" these forums i'm not even schooled on a 4cyl engine but i can definately learn my way around it and thanks for the helpful information once again.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:13 PM

military huh? just deploy twice and do a tour to korea and you should be banking. hahahhaha that's what i did.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:20 PM

been trying to go to korea and get deployed for over 3yrs but i guess once you get to this place you are stuck in a rut, in my career field ive only seen bout 8 x-fers out of base. but i guess i have to resign to get a different base and all of the fun that comes with that also.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:32 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
buy an ls1 f-bod and hit it with a 200 shot.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Area47
buy an ls1 f-bod and hit it with a 200 shot.

Quick Reply: Want to get 500 hp . . .