2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

07 throwing P0171 after installing LSJ TB

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 throwing P0171 after installing LSJ TB

All right, long story short. I purchased an LSJ TB used from Modern Performance via Ebay, purchased ZZP's adapter and harness.

I was in contact with Vince regarding tuning before installing it. He told me I was all set to go with the current tune I had so I installed it.

Everything was fine for 4 days. Today I had the "System Too Lean" code pop up.

The car is shifting differently than normal. It drags the RPM's out to 3-4k before shifting even under less than 50% throttle. On startup the RPM's jump to nearly 3k then it idles high for a few seconds before settling in. In case you didn't figure it out...auto.

The idle isn't really rough, but there's a little inconsistency in it...I can tell it is slightly off from before.

My question is what to look for? I did a search prior.

So far I will double check everything I took apart/put back together. I will check my Injen intake (suppose I will check my MAF while I'm at it and clean it...is there specific MAF cleaner or what else can I use?). With the Injen, I am using a dry filter, I swapped out the Injen filter quite a while ago for an AEM Dryflow. I will check that the adapter and TB are tight and there are no leaks, but I'm pretty confident it's sealed. Should I be looking at anything else?

The front o2 sensor is less than 2 months old. I installed a new sensor when I switched over to the Bad-Mab header and ZZP DP from Pacesetter/Exhaust Depot.

I wasn't sure if I should be looking at fuel or just air.

I also didn't reset the computer when I installed it, I will try that tomorrow after work as well.

Side note, I noticed my intake felt warmer to the touch than normal this evening as well which was odd.

If any of you have dealt with this, what else did you look at? I will report back tomorrow night as to what I tried and what effect it had. I'm just surprised it took 4 days before this happened.

Last option I suppose would be to datalog and send it to Vince to look at because maybe there's something in the tune he can adjust.

Thanks for any help.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:57 PM

I had this problem with my LE5. Since you just changed your o2 it's probably a very slight vacuum leak. My P0171 would go on and off very randomly, but recently hasn't gone on for about a month. Considering it's affecting your drive and idle (mine had absolutely no effect on the car at all) I'm guessing its a larger one, probably at the throttle body. The O-ring ZZP uses on the adapter plate isn't good at all. I would use rtv there and let it set. Should do the trick. Also yes use MAF cleaner, never hurts to do.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:42 AM

Thanks for the info. I did use gasket sealant between the IM and adapter plate and again between the plate and TB, but I'll check it again.

I'm also going to replace the rubber cap I have over the TB's vacuum port with another one to see if that isn't the problem.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by 007CobaltLS
Thanks for the info. I did use gasket sealant between the IM and adapter plate and again between the plate and TB, but I'll check it again.

I'm also going to replace the rubber cap I have over the TB's vacuum port with another one to see if that isn't the problem.
Which RTV did you use?

I have a vacuum cap with a 1/2" hose clamp over it just to make sure
Old 09-26-2012, 08:33 PM

The sealant I used was Permatex Form-A-Gasket #2 (non-hardening). I can pick up a tube of RTV instead if that might the problem. This stuff cleans off easily. I haven't figured anything else out.

I re-checked the intake, took care of the MAF. The only things I can think of are to change the type of sealant used to an RTV and make sure I use more of it...that might have been the problem, not using enough. Otherwise contacting Vince and having him look at a datalog and see if there is anything with the tune that might fix it.

I have a feeling I didn't use enough sealant though. I'm just not sure why it took 4 days for it to throw a code (the symptoms have been there from the time I did the install...the higher idle at startup, shifting points and what not).
Old 09-26-2012, 10:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you shouldnt have to use any RTV on those surfaces. there should be factory "o-rings" that would seal up fine. when i did the LSJ TB swap. my car idled high, i disconeccted the battery for 10 mins or so and then hooked it back up. over a couple days the car relearned and it runs great now, its been about 3 weeks