2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

2.2L GM Supercharger Dilema

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.2L GM Supercharger Dilema

Hello all. This is obviously my first post. I have had my cobalt ls for a little over a month. First I thank everyone who has posted helpfull information, it has helped me alot with my new cobalt.

After reviewing some modding techniques thoughout this forum I thought the supercharger that GM makes for the 2.2L was a pretty cool way to mod my car while maintain its warranty. Now my situation.

Today I went to my dealership to ask questions about the supercharger. So I goto the service center and noone has a clue that GM makes a supercharger for the 2.2L. So I refer them to GM's sport compact tuning guide. Then I ask if this will void the warranty, the service clerk told me no. Then the service manager said yes... I pointed out this is obviously a GM performance part being installed by a GM dealer and should not void the warranty. At this point they called GM directly, after about an hour I was told the supercharger will be covered under the factory 36k warranty, will not be covered by the 100k warranty I purchased ,but at the same time will not void that warranty if something happened to the engine with the supercharger installed.

The thing is this dealer is not listed as an Performance Parts dealer (outten, hamburg pa).
What I am worried is that if they install this, and screw it up, am I out of luck and a car? Or can they be held liable as they are an Authorized GM dealer but not a performance parts dealer?

My main concern is voiding the warranty and maybe even damaging my car if they screw up. And the fact that they had no clue of any of this makes me more concerned. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced!
Old 07-22-2005, 03:07 PM

I would have to shop around to a different dealer if i was you
Old 07-22-2005, 04:36 PM

Right, thats probably the wisest (and most obvious) thing to do.

Has anyone else gotten the S/C on their 2.2L if so, how was the result?

Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:39 PM

I've been looking at it but the numbers don't seem to be clear from here to there as far as horsepower upgrades go. I swear I read somewhere that it was a 60hp gain but other people are saying it's a 30hp gain since it's not intercooled...I'm so damned confused I'm not sure what's going on anymore .

Once you get it done (since I'm almost positive you're the first here) post some pics and let us know how it worked out...I want to put it on my LS but not sure if it comes with a boost guage, as well as what the expected power output can be not to mention the whole warrantly deal (again there some people saying not covered, u were told 36k and others were saying 1 year... ).

Anyways, good luck with it and let us know how it goes...oh and one more thing how much did it cost you? (I know it's in USD but I can make the approximate conversion to CDN).

Permafried-
Old 07-22-2005, 05:19 PM

i would hope itd be 60hp, if its only 30hp i'd be pissed and no way would i be buying it, i guess depending on price. anyone tell you how much it'd be?
Old 07-22-2005, 05:26 PM
Proud Playstation 3 Owner

The 2.2 Ecotec SC hasnt been released yet, but it should be out shortly. That is what I've heard through GM.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:32 PM

I was quoted for about $3075 plus install. I'm going to check out some other dealers around me. I found a few that are listed as a Performance Parts dealers. Hopefully someone there knows what is going on amist all this confusion. I'll travel to each dealer within a 60 mile radius until I get some concrete answers. I'll certianly post any info I get.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:45 PM

id really do it, but $3k isnt all i'd be spending. im pretty sure after the SC is installed, there will be other upgrades that'll up the cost a bit... in the long run, i'd prob be spending $5k for a fully stablized SC conversion... heh.

and $5k + $16k = $21k =2.0L SC
Old 07-22-2005, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by brianfcp
id really do it, but $3k isnt all i'd be spending. im pretty sure after the SC is installed, there will be other upgrades that'll up the cost a bit... in the long run, i'd prob be spending $5k for a fully stablized SC conversion... heh.

Yep, I also wanna add the short-shifter kit and knob from the SS (gotta see if this is possible) as well as a CAI intake at some point. I've considered a body kit but I'm afraid with the snow 6 months outta the year it might not be the best idea. Pretty much I'm looking once it's all said and done easily $7000+ CDN but hell I'm only young once , may as well enjoy the car.

Permafried-
Old 07-23-2005, 09:36 AM

Could you please point me in the right direction so I can look into getting one for myself. Is there a website out there? Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:21 PM

I got this part number out of the GM tuning guides. The links to them are posted here:

Tuning Guides Thread

The part number for the supercharger according to the manual is 17800003. If you go to GM Parts Direct and search on that part number it should show up but with very little if not next to no information. The GM price compared to their posted LOOKS like it might also include installation...but I can't verify this is the case.

Hope this helps,

Permafried-
Old 08-03-2005, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by jearlosky
I was quoted for about $3075 plus install. I'm going to check out some other dealers around me. I found a few that are listed as a Performance Parts dealers. Hopefully someone there knows what is going on amist all this confusion. I'll travel to each dealer within a 60 mile radius until I get some concrete answers. I'll certianly post any info I get.

let me know what you find out, I'm from Reading and very interested it giving my LS a bit of a kick.

And to answer the obvious "why didnt you get the ss/cc?"

I didnt have a big enough down payment... and now, im a little more comfortable in the cashflow department, so I'm down to boost.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The 2.2L supercharger assembly listed in the Tuning guide is for 2002-2005 J cars(cavy/sunfire) And is not for the Cobalt/Pursuit. Installing it on one of these vehicles WOULD cause warranty issues and there is programming available from GM to allow the Cobalt 2.2L to use a SC so there would be no point in installing it anyway.

The J cars with the supercharger dyno at about 175hp. about 20-30hp less than a 2.0L SC Cobalt, this is due to the LSJ's intercooler and various other parameters.
The GMPP Supercharger for the 2.2L doesnt use an intercooler, and PCM calibration takes this into account.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:08 PM

is that at the wheels? or at the crank? if thats at the crank thats terrible...
Old 08-04-2005, 08:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
better off just getting a turbo , much cheaper. and a bit faster.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:59 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At the Bash GM said they would have a Supercharger for the Cobalt 2.2 ecotec and it wasn't ready yet and it would be about 175 HP. I believe it's also the M45 and not the M62 in the SS/SC.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by zinner
At the Bash GM said they would have a Supercharger for the Cobalt 2.2 ecotec and it wasn't ready yet and it would be about 175 HP. I believe it's also the M45 and not the M62 in the SS/SC.
Did they mention if the 175 is at the wheels or overall horsepower by chance? If it's overall I can't imagine they'll sell too many...that's only 30hp gain over what we're running and the approximate price tag people have been quoted (~$3000USD so probably $4000+CDN) just doesn't seem to make any sense. Thanks for the info though, guess we'll just have to wait to find out.

Permafried-
Old 08-05-2005, 02:09 AM

You could take that 4000 and put it towards other mods and make more horse power then that.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Taro
You could take that 4000 and put it towards other mods and make more horse power then that.
That's exactly my point considering upcoming turbo kits appear to be running slightly less in cost and give a much larger increase in HP. I've also considered maybe just doing smaller modifications even though it won't boost it as high but still have something I can call my own.

I'm assuming this part will be out by next summer when I was planning on beginning my modifications so I'll just be patient and see what GM gives us .

Permafried-
Old 10-05-2005, 07:49 PM

minus other goodies like seats, rims, rosso tires, and suspension. shoulda' bought the ss
Old 10-05-2005, 09:56 PM

Oct 5th, 2005 and still no official information from GM on this. However it's very prominent in the GM Tuner handbook still though. Someone should get the contact infro from the book and try to get some more official information.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:04 PM

superchargers are great but if you want to race your car and it is a five speed a turbo or two would probably be better. this is because a super charger starts boost from the getgo. so has soon as you take off your tires are spinning. tires aren't cheap. a turbo. lets you get rolling a little bit then kicks in. less tire wear still fast. the tires on the ss are almost 200 a PIECE. i have a super an 07 ss/sc i like it but sometimes wish it was a turbo instead.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:00 PM

there is an autherized gm dealer out here near me and they have the 2.2L supercharger in stock, the super charger is 1700 and then they are going to sell me the stage 1 and 2 upgrades that are compatible from the SS/SC. the final quote not installed was $2200. The only problem is that they only have the PCM program code for the cavalier not the 2.2L cobalts. the cavaliers sensors are different from the cobalts. and yes the hp boost is only going to take you to 205hp at the flywheel. Its a roots type but its a M45 not an M62 that is in the cobalt SS/SC. A friend of mine bought the SS/SC and intake manifold from a junk yard that had a rolled over cobalt SS and the super charger bolts right up to the 2.2L now he just has to wait for the HPTuners computer program crack and then he can put the SS/SC M62 supercharger back on his engine. Since its a bigger displacement engine i think this should put out more HP then the SS/SCs but we will see, when hptuners gets off their buts and crack the computer for more then just the 07 cobalt 2.2's
Old 10-15-2006, 07:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xCobalt05x
but we will see, when hptuners gets off their buts and crack the computer for more then just the 07 cobalt 2.2's
word.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by waitinforwar
superchargers are great but if you want to race your car and it is a five speed a turbo or two would probably be better. this is because a super charger starts boost from the getgo. so has soon as you take off your tires are spinning. tires aren't cheap. a turbo. lets you get rolling a little bit then kicks in. less tire wear still fast. the tires on the ss are almost 200 a PIECE. i have a super an 07 ss/sc i like it but sometimes wish it was a turbo instead.
not to mention that superchargers are limited on how much hp they can put out, the cobalts you see at the professional drag strip are 2.2L engines w/ turbo running 6.7 in the 1/4 w/ 1400+hp

Quick Reply: 2.2L GM Supercharger Dilema