2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

2.4l intake manifold and throttle body.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.4l intake manifold and throttle body.

Couple of questions!!!
If I were to get my hands on this what kind of a hp and tq increase would I see and would I need a retune for the 2.4l throttle body or would my existing trifecta tune accept it? I'm also aware that I need the pigtail for the 2.4l harness to hook up to my harness. Is this worth it to do the swap, cause if it's only like a couple of ponies then it's not worth my time I just need these things cleared up befor I make my mind up. Any one been to the dyno with these installed? Any imput would be awesome!

Tanner.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by flyg5
Couple of questions!!!
If I were to get my hands on this what kind of a hp and tq increase would I see and would I need a retune for the 2.4l throttle body or would my existing trifecta tune accept it? I'm also aware that I need the pigtail for the 2.4l harness to hook up to my harness. Is this worth it to do the swap, cause if it's only like a couple of ponies then it's not worth my time I just need these things cleared up befor I make my mind up. Any one been to the dyno with these installed? Any imput would be awesome!

Tanner.
it depends if you want keep N/A
u need a retune
are u 8 pin or 6 pins
your couple ponies or more in a exhaut setup
you ll love you 2.4TB. THAT WORTH IT

here some video of 2.2 fully mod: 2.4 intake air mod and full exhaust setup what ever long or short or 3'' donwpipe or catless or what the **** you want

again 2.4 intake manifold and 2.4 TB worth it if you want keep it N/A

bruno car
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpKFlxZaaKM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T-KzWXhwfM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxA_e...eature=related

alex car
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3euzK...eature=related

your goal race between 40 mile and 65 miles get a 2.2 automatique mod++
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtvYFc9AxIg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejTHc...eature=related

according to me a 2.4 auto mod+ is slower than a 2.2 auto mod++
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_l0b...eature=related

if your are mod++ but untuned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az5x66QbWG8

(mod++ are everything except 2.4TB)
(mod+ are intake or exhaut setup)

stock
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecFPttERCaE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97Wa0...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kFv2...eature=related

it was a plaisure to help you out

Last edited by huckernage; 08-23-2010 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:57 AM

what do all the + mean
Old 08-24-2010, 05:57 PM

stock
mod+= intake air mod OR exhaust mod
mod++ =intake air mod and exhaut mod
fully mod =2.4 air intake system and full exhaust system for LSJ to custum
cammed = fully mod and cam

all these mod ftw include tune trifecta
Old 08-24-2010, 10:02 PM

From what I have read on several past posts:
- The TB requires a tune (but, there was one guy who bought the JET performance MAF sensor and the TB ran fine)
- The manifold shifts the power upwards. I looked at the before and after dyno and it dropped like 5hp until it hit 3500 RPMs and it gained around 8hp at 3500 but at max output it gained 20 or so hp.

Basically, these two mods together will make you even slower at the light, but very nimble on the freeway. People are saying that bogging feeling on the freeway is gone.

Personally, I like having lows and mids.
I would however like my tb ported maybe 2mm at the opening and tapered down to the stock diameter or perhaps 1mm reduced at the throttle plate. It offers a little more air at WOT. The air velocity will be made at the point where the throttle plate and intake runners are.

This would drop my low end a hair, but help with the bogging on the freeway.
Between this and a cold air intake, my lows would be a hair quicker, but a bit more response for my mids and high end. To me that is a win/ win situation.

My plan sounds feasible.

I have ported my previous cars, and the first I went too far on a Geo Storm 1.6 SOHC. I was always borderline lean, and the computer was confused. At a stop, it would take off like a slug, but if I went normal and as soon as it hit 15mph and went WOT, it pulled surprisingly hard. When I did this, my friend's GSi with WAI and exhaust would slowly lose ground on me. It had a header, CAI, ported head, intake runners, GSi tb, 3 angle valve job, full exhaust, Jacobs ignition kit, and TPS recalibrator.

My Dodge Daytona ES had a TBI 2.5 and I ported the heck out of the TB, the intake plenum and exhaust manifold and the car loved it. i made my own ram air unit and swapped the stock filter for a K&N. I used the Jacobs Omni Torquer off the Geo, added a set of Magnecor KV-85s to it and it made a big difference. Every once in a blue moon the car's computer acted like I hit a rev limiter because it detected too much air and could not compensate with enough fuel because it only had the one injector.

I took my Fiero 2m4, put on a K&N filter, 2.25 inch exhaust, MSD DIS-2 ignition, Accel coil packs, and did not porting at all, and the difference was night and day on the freeway. It still was a slug on the low end, and seemed to have done nothing from a stop. Once on the freeway, it literally was much faster than my Fiero Formula that was also modded.

The Fiero Formula 2.8 V-6 had the intake plenum match ported to the runners, Jacobs Pro Street ignition, KV-85 plug wires, K&N filter, and a custom 2.25 inch exhaust with high flow cat and Magnaflow muffler. For whatever reason, this car's low end boosted a little bit, but not much. A fair gain in mids, and on the freeway a fair gain. But, this car did not seem to like mods anywhere near as much as the other 3. In fact, when I did the ignition kit on this car, it was a HUGE waste of $$$. It was like nothing changed at all.

The ignition kit on the other 3 made a big difference. But, I used the Omni Torquer and DIS-2. It could be the model ignition kit, or perhaps the GM ignition kit was already optimal on the Formula.

I have had other cars modded, but it was stuff like a Chevy Prizm LSi with a 2.5 inch exhaust plus K&N, or my IROC Z 305HO with an Edelbrock carb, K&N filter and 2.5 inch exhaust, and so on.

Point is, for every mod I have done, I have learned something. But, it was about that particular car only that I learned something about. It is amazing how one mod works great on one car, but does nothing or even hurts performance on another.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:44 PM

AZ is too far from QC to show you how bad your low mid will be

come on who want race between 2400 and 4000......... maybe your mom.

all happen over 5100 rpm
Old 08-24-2010, 10:46 PM

to much wrinting for a poor french canadian that dont understand roman
Old 08-24-2010, 10:52 PM

Lol, I meant by the time the reading was at a certain rpm on the dyno sheet, that was the reading. It just shows that it robbed a little from the low end, gave a little on the mids and at max output it landed a 20 or so hp gain.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:29 AM

so in order to feel any gains you have to stay in the mid to high range... otherwise you will feel like a shmuck for "hurting" your performance.. is that about right?
Old 08-26-2010, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mike85220
From what I have read on several past posts:
- The TB requires a tune (but, there was one guy who bought the JET performance MAF sensor and the TB ran fine)
- The manifold shifts the power upwards. I looked at the before and after dyno and it dropped like 5hp until it hit 3500 RPMs and it gained around 8hp at 3500 but at max output it gained 20 or so hp.

I have that MAF sensor so I don't need a retune? If that's the case, then I'm set on the intake and throttle body. The dealer wants $416.50cad for every thing so I'm hoping to find a smashed 2.4 and rip and tear it out then clean it up.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:51 PM

is it 20hp increase with other mods or by itself
Old 08-27-2010, 12:36 AM

and what about torque gains?
Old 08-28-2010, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by pursuitforever
is it 20hp increase with other mods or by itself
This is debatable because the people that use the 2.4 IM and TB need a tune...well you can't really tell how much is due to the parts and how much is due to the tune...also, full exhaust and CAI or SRI are going to affect how much this mod makes...they'll support each other.

In my case I have a Pacesetter header, Exhaust Depot catless DP, and LSJ cat-back along with an Injen CAI. I have the 2.4 IM and TB to be installed (got them super cheap), but I need a length of hose for the brake booster and I need to figure out the pigtail problem (I have 6-pin and the 2.4 TB has an 8-pin...I have the diagram to wire, but I need to figure out where to find the pigtail I need).
Old 08-28-2010, 12:10 PM

See im not really sure if its worth it to get it. You get alot of high end Hp but u lose low end torque. hp sells cars. Torque will win u the race. Here is a link to a dyno

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...t-W67C144.aspx

Its with GMPP CAI ANd CAt
Old 09-05-2010, 05:10 AM

Yeah but with full exhaust that might make the addition of the cat-back a bit more useful... not to mention it doesn't have a tune. And wouldn't a tune even out that power curve a little better therefore not such a loss in the low/mids?

Plus add in a 2.4 TB and you are golden. Makes for a quick 2.2 haha
Old 09-05-2010, 11:01 AM

Here's my understanding:

Add the 2.4 IM by itself and you get a **** ton of top end, but a nice loss in low to mid power...dyno on CED's site looks like you lose more mid than low.

Add the 2.4 TB to that (which requires a tune) and you get a little better throttle response, plus the power is smoothed out and there is less of a loss in the low to mid power...might even give a small gain, but not sure on that. Definitely worth it depending on your goals.

I'm having so much trouble deciding if I want to do it for 2 reasons...I have the the IM and TB, but I need extra brake booster hose and I need to do something about the pigtail as mine is 6-pin and the 2.4 TB I have is 8-pin. Also, I am ordering a tune right now with just Injen CAI, Pacesetter 2.2 header, Exhaust Depot catless DP, and LSJ stock cat-back because I want to get the most out of my car for MPG's. If I add the IM and TB I will not see gains in MPG's, but rather more of a loss...sure it would be fun, but I have a slow car anyway.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:06 PM

Yeah I see what youre getting at. Im on my way to fully bolted and I wanna know what extras like TB will be for the best or worse. And keeping in mind the piggy tail to 6-pin it.

Im currently trying to decide on the catback exhaust... everything else was easy haha

And im sure if you are easy on the throttle the MPG shouldnt be too bad. But yes WOT will probs kill the MPG
Old 09-07-2010, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by rrauter
Yeah I see what youre getting at. Im on my way to fully bolted and I wanna know what extras like TB will be for the best or worse. And keeping in mind the piggy tail to 6-pin it.

Im currently trying to decide on the catback exhaust... everything else was easy haha

And im sure if you are easy on the throttle the MPG shouldnt be too bad. But yes WOT will probs kill the MPG
wot ALWAYS kills mpg... even in a stock civic... though you will only see a drop from 100mpg to 95 lmfao