2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

2008 cobalt wont start

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 cobalt wont start

I have a 2.2 cobalt it was running fine.I shut it off and came out to restart nothing.turn key on no indicator lights the engine wont turn over.I have checked all the fuses some have no power to them.I tun the key on only things comes on the lock light comes on it goes off.The turn signals work and iformation center shows low fuel or door ajar or what ever.I jumoer crank relay car turns over so it is not the battery.I put in a new key switch and cylinder assembly. somebody have a way to troubleshoot this.It also has no check engine light. GIVE ME HELP I AM REALLY GETTING FRUSTRATED. thanks perogers56
Old 06-08-2017, 09:41 PM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
Either your battery or one of the grounds. Check the battery and cables first.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:20 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
So only the lock light comes on when you turn on the key? Not your typical check engine light and whatever else lights up with the key on?

Did you disconnect the battery before you replaced the ignition switch? If not you may have shorted something out during the install.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:44 AM

yes battery was disconnected.I have ben checking all the grounds found nothing wrong.I am beginning to think ecm or bcm or whatever else.I thought dragging it to oreillys and see if there are anycodes but it will probly just say no data. give me some help if you can thanks perogers56
Old 06-09-2017, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by perogers56
yes battery was disconnected.I have ben checking all the grounds found nothing wrong.I am beginning to think ecm or bcm or whatever else.I thought dragging it to oreillys and see if there are anycodes but it will probly just say no data. give me some help if you can thanks perogers56
I don't know what would cause your ECM to reset but I just recently installed a new ECM and went through the security relearn process. When you put in a different ECM it will act sort of like your car is. I know the lock light comes on and stays on I just don't remember if any other lights came on with it when I did the security relearn. Like I said, I don't know what would cause your ECM to do this as you didn't change it but could be a possibility I suppose.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:43 PM

I replaced key lock cylinder and new igntion switch it was not starting and no dash lights and no cranks.I did the key oin off for 30 minutes so the lock goes out but wont start or dah lites wont work
Old 06-12-2017, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by perogers56
I replaced key lock cylinder and new igntion switch it was not starting and no dash lights and no cranks.I did the key oin off for 30 minutes so the lock goes out but wont start or dah lites wont work
You did this?

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF
2. Attempt to start the engine, release the key to ON. The vehicle will not start.
3. Observe the SECURITY telltale. After approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes. The vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.

IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

6. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password.
7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed. History DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.