2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

finshed 2.2 super charged @ 10 psi

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 01:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I leave on page 5 and come back to see page 5-13. Wow.

I have a few things to say.

1. Please do yourself a favor yellow and remove your cat and go catless, get a CA downpipe and straight pipe that.

2. If you do not have exhaust modifications your car will not breath. Think of the 2.2 exhaust like taking a small childs bendy straw and folding it in half. Your car has to be chocking if the exhaust system is stock

3. Buy a real AFR/Interceptor gauges and hook them up so they are not like they are. (You knew that).

4. I would recommend some better plugs then the stocker since you have already murdered them with so much fuel.

5. I would keep the stock airbox on if you can modifiy it to fit for now since even with the SMT-7 it's going to have a shitty time trying to meter additional air that the car wasn't even counting on. Get an LSJ airbox if need be. That SRI doesn't help with the ECU flipping out from extra air the supercharger was giving it.

6. Put the Stock 3.4 in pulley back on and tune with that. Your thinking big when you need to start in baby steps.

7. If your not using the GM Stage 2 belt you better put it on to prevent slippage. Are you using a larger idler pulley for your setup?

8. You never answered my previous question is it a stick or an auto? In the video I could not tell...

9. Use the Stock LSJ injectors since 42's are a bit much for the present setup. Like I said, baby steps!

10. While the SMT-7 might be an ok piggy back unit keep in mind I don't think anyone has knowledge of using it on a 2.2 Application as of yet. Your basically on your own for your tuning unless you can get someone knowledgeable for it.

11. Also keep in mind that the 2.2 wasn't built to handle over 250whp on stock internals. Keep the boost limited between 8-10PSI if the SMT-7 allows for it.

12. A safe and happy AFR is 11-12.5 (highest I'd go).

As for TCarter, even if your acting as an individual your still using your company name on here, your company name and your behavior is your image. Please post wisely if you want continued business from any user on this site. Just food for thought. This is not slander, just looking out.

As for the rest of eveyones behavior ...wow.. just wow. We are a community, not a slander corner. You wonder why we are called retards and idiots on other forums. ..
Old 04-07-2007, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by NJHK
Well the thing about it is that even the ignition timing from SMT-6 is (probably) changing the signal to the knock sensor to try and retard timing. Reason being is that your knock sensor, when it does detect knocking (detonation), your kock sensor sends a signal to the PCM about the noise or knocking and will automatically run countermeasures which is to retard ignition timing.

With HP Tuners, you're leaving your computer in control and you're just changing everything through the computer. Flaw with piggybacks is that you're adjusting from stock settings and are only given so much adjustments without the computer counteracting. Good thing is that your computer still has it's emergency counter-measures still intact even with a piggyback setup.
Cool thanks man! You're always the one to come to for info. I'll be asking more questions when I get closer to the install. I don't wanna be a total newb when I start digging into the major project.

I'm also planning on keeping this car for at least 100K miles, once I s/c my car, if I do it right, can the engine last this long? I'll prolly do a full engine teardown and replace rods n pistons for forged after a couple years. With the install of the s/c in the beginning, I want to start at around 200-215whp. My eventual goal is 250whp, which is pushing the stock rods.

Oh, one more. So with HPT, you can save multiple tunes on your laptop, and reset your computer back to stock if you need warranty work then, right?

I'm really curious to see what OP is putting down to the wheels with the stage 2 pulley.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sneaky
I leave on page 5 and come back to see page 5-13. Wow.

I have a few things to say.

1. Please do yourself a favor yellow and remove your cat and go catless, get a CA downpipe and straight pipe that.

2. If you do not have exhaust modifications your car will not breath. Think of the 2.2 exhaust like taking a small childs bendy straw and folding it in half. Your car has to be chocking if the exhaust system is stock

3. Buy a real AFR/Interceptor gauges and hook them up so they are not like they are. (You knew that).

4. I would recommend some better plugs then the stocker since you have already murdered them with so much fuel.

5. I would keep the stock airbox on if you can modifiy it to fit for now since even with the SMT-7 it's going to have a shitty time trying to meter additional air that the car wasn't even counting on. Get an LSJ airbox if need be. That SRI doesn't help with the ECU flipping out from extra air the supercharger was giving it.

6. Put the Stock 3.4 in pulley back on and tune with that. Your thinking big when you need to start in baby steps.

7. If your not using the GM Stage 2 belt you better put it on to prevent slippage. Are you using a larger idler pulley for your setup?

8. You never answered my previous question is it a stick or an auto? In the video I could not tell...

9. Use the Stock LSJ injectors since 42's are a bit much for the present setup. Like I said, baby steps!

10. While the SMT-7 might be an ok piggy back unit keep in mind I don't think anyone has knowledge of using it on a 2.2 Application as of yet. Your basically on your own for your tuning unless you can get someone knowledgeable for it.

11. Also keep in mind that the 2.2 wasn't built to handle over 250whp on stock internals. Keep the boost limited between 8-10PSI if the SMT-7 allows for it.

12. A safe and happy AFR is 11-12.5 (highest I'd go).

As for TCarter, even if your acting as an individual your still using your company name on here, your company name and your behavior is your image. Please post wisely if you want continued business from any user on this site. Just food for thought. This is not slander, just looking out.

As for the rest of eveyones behavior ...wow.. just wow. We are a community, not a slander corner. You wonder why we are called retards and idiots on other forums. ..

shut up mike, you ****** retard!!!!!

wow i got a laugh outta that.....
Old 04-07-2007, 01:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Archie
Cool thanks man! You're always the one to come to for info. I'll be asking more questions when I get closer to the install. I don't wanna be a total newb when I start digging into the major project.

I'm also planning on keeping this car for at least 100K miles, once I s/c my car, if I do it right, can the engine last this long? I'll prolly do a full engine teardown and replace rods n pistons for forged after a couple years. With the install of the s/c in the beginning, I want to start at around 200-215whp. My eventual goal is 250whp, which is pushing the stock rods.

Oh, one more. So with HPT, you can save multiple tunes on your laptop, and reset your computer back to stock if you need warranty work then, right?

I'm really curious to see what OP is putting down to the wheels with the stage 2 pulley.
If you do things properly, have all measures accounted for, yes, you will be absolutely fine. Forced Induction (well just power increases...additional stress on engine parts for a extended time) will reduce the life of parts. I don't think if you do things right you will be in trouble.

Just understand IF something goes wrong, you no longer will have your warranty and you're taking your car into your hands financially.

And yes, you can save the "tunes" or files onto the laptop and reload them. It's just like any other program you mess with.

Last edited by NJHK; 04-07-2007 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-07-2007, 01:41 AM

^^^Cool, thanks again man.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Archie
^^^Cool, thanks again man.
No problemo
Old 04-07-2007, 01:56 AM

very nice, but like everyone is saying i wouldnt do it without proper fuel tuning, and for that money ide prolly 2.0 swap into my 4 door, but im crazy lol.

but congrads someone had to be the first.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by TCarter
if your reffering to me bing "immature", than so be it. I, as well as alot of other members have ALOT more experience with these matters as ive done similar projects.

If my age is being "shown", im assuming you think im about 16, so with that said....you should be hit with a shovel.

Thanks.
I think he was just trying to say that, as a supporting vendor on this forum, you may want to consider how you represent your business on a public forum. Getting personal and attacking a fellow member is not going to help you, nor will having mod editted posts. Just my .02

To the thread starter; Props for having the initiative to take on a project like this, but please take what is being said here to heart. Nobody truely wants to see pics of your motor blown to pieces. Good luck and get tuning.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Halfcent
He has the MAP sensor installed prior to the compressor. It's not reading correctly in that location.

He is using a MAP sensor not designed for the ECM program.

He has his vacuum solenoid connected to a non-vacuum location.

He put in bigger injectors without any change to fuel control.

This is what we have pointed out to him. Now Witt, if you want to tell him what he is doing is OK, then I have to wonder.
The ECM builds a manifold model based on MAP readings, for ETC correlation checks , NOT for fueling values. What he did was move a sensor that built model 2 to model 1. Both are roughly the same volume and therefor he preserved correct MAP readings while not throwing a MAP overvoltage code.

All MAP sensors output 0-5v no matter what the brand/rating.

Its a vacuum soleniod that does not affect fueling. He posted here in effort to have his fueling questions solved.

Bigger injectors are there to overcome stock injector limitations. The only time those bigger injectors are going to be commanded at high levels are when you are in power enrichment. If you are not in PE, you are in closed loop. Closed loop means you are commandning 14.7-1 no matter what size injectors are installed. The o2 sensor will trim any corrections needed. You will get an SES light for any trim corrections over 20% but it will still trim, those readings are NEVER ignored.

I would say he is pioneering adding forced induction to an electronic throttle equipped 2.2 eco. Somebody has to do it.

Originally Posted by TCarter
if your reffering to me bing "immature", than so be it. I, as well as alot of other members have ALOT more experience with these matters as ive done similar projects.

If my age is being "shown", im assuming you think im about 16, so with that said....you should be hit with a shovel.

Thanks.
I'm pretty sure he was responding to the fact that you told him he was in danger when running 20-1 A/F without first seeing the car was in Deceleration Fuel Cutoff, you do know that a Bosch wideband is only accurate to 17-1 gasoline and those readings mean no fuel is actually being injected, right?

Last edited by Witt; 04-07-2007 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-07-2007, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Witt
I would say he is pioneering adding forced induction to an electronic throttle equipped 2.2 eco. Somebody has to do it.
Exactly, that's the bottomline here, more power to him . If everyone could have stopped trying to flex their e-muscles he might have gotten the answers he was looking for in fewer than 13 pages.

And my e-***** will always be biggest, so we can lay that one to rest
Old 04-07-2007, 08:41 AM

what im trying to do is see how much the stock computer can compesate for the mods i have done for in the future we all will know what hapens.

i had t use the stage 2 pully and the stock belt to make this work becouse the stock pully was making the belt bind agenst the dampener

its a stick with a lsd trans "rember along time ago gm took my waranty at 18000 miles so dont tell me it will void becouse i dont care.

my car has these!!! 4-1 header a custom 3in downpipe and 2 1/2 cat back system and the 2.0 ss SC er with the stage 2 pully and injectors all original sensors from the 2.2 and some good engineering ow yea im still running 87 octane i had 1/2 a tank of 87 then took it and filled it up with 93 so 87+93 = about 90 and i dont have any fuel aditives in there like i said im going to keep working on this till its right but i was just showing every one that the car car take this. well so far it has lol
Old 04-07-2007, 10:51 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 265 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by yellowshowbalt
.....like i said im going to keep working on this till its right but i was just showing every one that the car car take this. well so far it has lol
Keep letting us know how this project progresses. As a couple of members have said, someone needed to be the first to try this and whether it holds or blows, you are paving the way for other 2.2 owners who maybe interested in S/C their cars.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:01 AM

way to go...keep up the good work and dont worry about the haters...they seem to run the boards these day
Old 04-07-2007, 11:05 AM

what im trying to do is see how much the stock computer can compesate for the mods i have done for in the future we all will know what hapens.
If you do wanna go with a piggyback, I saw you mentioned the SMT7. The SMT supports our type of MAF sensors without having to use a converter or translator which makes things easy. If you look in the screenshot, you'll see the parameters for reading MAF frequency and not just voltage.

smt7.jpg
Old 04-07-2007, 11:22 AM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The ECM builds a manifold model based on MAP readings, for ETC correlation checks , NOT for fueling values. What he did was move a sensor that built model 2 to model 1. Both are roughly the same volume and therefor he preserved correct MAP readings while not throwing a MAP overvoltage code.

All MAP sensors output 0-5v no matter what the brand/rating.
I understand that. Two things. First, we don't know which codes he has thrown. He hasn't told us. Second, IF he had put the MAP in the correct location, I would buy your argument. But he has it installed BEFORE the compressor output, in a location that will never see air pressures higher then atmospheric. Hence, his 2 BAR MAP will never produce an output of more then 2.5V.

Bigger injectors are there to overcome stock injector limitations. The only time those bigger injectors are going to be commanded at high levels are when you are in power enrichment. If you are not in PE, you are in closed loop. Closed loop means you are commandning 14.7-1 no matter what size injectors are installed. The o2 sensor will trim any corrections needed. You will get an SES light for any trim corrections over 20% but it will still trim, those readings are NEVER ignored.
The O2 sensors will continue to work normally, I agree. However, when his MAF frequency is exceeded, his setup is relying completely on his O2 fuel trim for injector control. His MAF, IAT, and MAP are essentially useless, his TPS data is valid, but the tables in his ECM won't match the new amount of actual air going through it. All fuel control is being done AFTER it has gone through the engine and the O2 sensor gets to read it. So everytime he changes throttle, the car has to guess how much gas to inject.

And how about PE? Are we just going to ignore that? Everytime he goes WOT and enters PE, he is flooding that sucker!
Old 04-07-2007, 11:47 AM
Banned

the reason I got "personal" per say, is I gave him props on the switch, he's quite the innovator. But when I simply pointed out his settup was wrong (sensors) and the fact its pointless to run a 2/3 bar map sensor with the stock computer....he turns around and flames me.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:58 AM

its a stick with a lsd trans "rember along time ago gm took my waranty at 18000 miles so dont tell me it will void becouse i dont care.
I wanna hear more about this,,,,,
Old 04-07-2007, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by shortyhend2004
Ding ding ding NOT TRUE!!! I know of someone actually our mechanic at the shop and he has 2 dsm and HIS 6 BOLT CRANK WALKED!! I have seen it in person it walked and sheared one end of the crank razor sharp!
I wouldnt use that mechanic.

1- The LSD tranny is out of a SS model cobalt im not sure if it was a 2.4 or 2.0 ask yellow

2-the exhaust is dc header 4-1 3inch DP 2.5inch cat back with cat

3-we are replacing the plugs with colder plugs for sure good ideas we kinda had that in mind!

4-the larger pulley will not fit it makes the tensioner bind up thats why we used the smaller pulley

5-Witt thanks for your input we really need it!!!!! above 19.9 on our wideband it goes GRAY that means there is NO FUEL being read. aka Deceleration fuel cutoff

6-The car in question is a MANUAL 5-spd lsd tranny from SS model w short shifter & factory clutch

7-NJHK ITS AN SMT7 not a 6 like you keep talking about :p

8-This car doesnt seem to be in open loop mode, when my 4g63t went to open loop it revs high and has full boost but sits still like a SNAIL

9-this car has picked up GOBS of power you can feel it but i know we have to dyno it out

10-THIS IS A PROJECT some people are saying things like "your far from done" and nasty comments, well we came on the board kinda showing something new and hoping for ideas to be able to help us out maybe but this is far from finished and we are working on it so just hang in there mmmkay thanks

Last edited by Matts95TSiAWD; 04-07-2007 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-07-2007, 12:41 PM

i riped out the trans racing it in stock form and gm yanked my waranty from me so i was looking at a used 2.2 trans or a ss trans and from what i gaterd the ss 1st gear sucks so i ended up geting a 2.2 trans with the g85 package i think? but i have a lsd in the trans acording to the tags on the trans and who i balt it from.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Matts95TSiAWD
1- The LSD tranny is out of a SS model cobalt im not sure if it was a 2.4 or 2.0 ask yellow
Only the 2.0 F35 trans ever came with the LSD, and only on G85 equipped models.

Cool stuff man, I believe he is the first to do this trans swap on the Balt as well, pics?

Last edited by SS33; 04-07-2007 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:45 PM

hey there matt guess what im getting ready to test ride 2007 yamaha R1 sweet, first service.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:52 PM

sorry to doubt u
Old 04-07-2007, 01:08 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i riped out the trans racing it in stock form and gm yanked my waranty from me so i was looking at a used 2.2 trans or a ss trans and from what i gaterd the ss 1st gear sucks so i ended up geting a 2.2 trans with the g85 package i think? but i have a lsd in the trans acording to the tags on the trans and who i balt it from.
Does anybody else see the problem here?
Old 04-07-2007, 01:18 PM

hey there matt guess what im getting ready to test ride 2007 yamaha R1 sweet, first service.

ill come out and test ride ti too

if we have to we can do a fat burnout for you all :-p

Last edited by Matts95TSiAWD; 04-07-2007 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-07-2007, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Halfcent
Does anybody else see the problem here?
I really hate that this has turned into a half-flame thread.

But I'll make the prediction now... give it a month max... first time he sees a honda... goes to race... its all over.

Eh... props for putting it together atleast.

Quick Reply: finshed 2.2 super charged @ 10 psi