2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Help Please

Hi everyone, First post, so here it is. I have a 2.2 powered Cobalt and 4 days a week I drive 120 miles to and from work. Its almost all highway with my average speed being between 60 to 75 mph. My question is: I'm looking mods that will help move my fill up dates further apart, right now I have to fill about once every 3 days. Right now i'm completely stock and was thinking about intake system and lowering springs. Any and all input will be heplful. Thanks
Old 04-15-2007, 11:25 PM

i don't know if lowering springs would help your gas mileage... but intake and exhaust should
Old 04-15-2007, 11:33 PM

For the springs I was thinking lower center of gravity, maybe
Old 04-15-2007, 11:38 PM

umm.... I don't think they really help... but hell I'm no expert on spring/MPG relations. On my last car springs didn't do anything but help me bottom out every once in a while, MPG stayed the same.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:51 PM

An exhaust will get your MPG up, however if you spend $500+ on an exhaust thats only giving you 2 or 3 MPG better at maximum then it wouldn't make much sense. I say pick up an SS/SC exhaust for less than $100 on the forums here and you'll be set. If MPG is your only concern then the SS exhaust is perfect for you.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:52 PM

Intake and exhaust and high flow cat should help a little bit. However the normal trend is if you have them mods you tend to be harder on the throttle and causing less mpg. Lowering can help improve your mpg but it has to be a dam big drop to do anything. Best things to do to save on gas is driving behavior. Slower more gradual acceleration. Backing away from cars so you don't have to cut your speed and accelerate again to get up to highway speeds. Driving with the windows up. Proper tire pressure and alignment. Synthetic oil has shown a slight improvement in mpg. Driving without the heat or ac on. Turning off any accessories in the car. As soon as some tuning is available for the 2.2l you can also lean it out at highway cruising.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:59 PM
Moderator Alumni
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CobaltPerformanceParts
Best things to do to save on gas is driving behavior. Slower more gradual acceleration. Backing away from cars so you don't have to cut your speed and accelerate again to get up to highway speeds. Driving with the windows up. Proper tire pressure and alignment. Synthetic oil has shown a slight improvement in mpg. Driving without the heat or ac on. Turning off any accessories in the car. As soon as some tuning is available for the 2.2l you can also lean it out at highway cruising.

Just what I was going to say.

Also possibly helpful:

http://www.google.com/search?q=drivi...ient=firefox-a

edit: I see a link to the Tornado on that search, stay AWAY from that, it does nothing.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:43 AM

Thank you all very much, I will apply your advice.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:23 AM

Gas mileage improves when you decrease resistance, but may not do what you want as far as style. Lowering springs will help, because you’re putting the car closer to the ground and decreasing the amount of air turbulence under the car. An air Intake will help give you more power, but as far as mileage, the more air you put in, the computer compensates and adds more fuel. In combination with and exhaust, you’re potentially making the system more efficient, but the first time you stomp on the throttle, you just lost all those gains.

The most efficient thing to do is go with a taller, thinner tire and up the air pressure. Like a 185/65-15 or 175/70-15. @ 35psi provided that’s ok with the tire construction.

When I went form the stock 195/60-15’s at Front 33psi and Rear 30psi, was averaging about 34 mpg, I went to 225/50-15s at 35psi and 33psi and still lost about 3 mpg.

Decrease rolling resistance, decrease weight, decrease wind resistance, USE synthetic engine oils, and trans fluids, and the computer is going to do what its programmed to do no matter what you bolt onto the engine.