2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Need HELP w/ GM intake install

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Halfcent

Nobody I know has done that yet, but the idea is sound. It is believed that removing the system completely would result in a CEL, but nobody has tried it yet. However, despite the CEL, you would have a perfectly operational engine with no hazards at all.

BTW, none of these changes would be legal in California because of their stupid ass CARB law, but it would be fine everywhere else. Perfectly legal.
Yeah, except I personally don't want CEL's. What if I really do run into a problem where that CEL was supposed to warn me? I know some people know a lot about cars. In all honestly, I don't think I know enough to play around with that. Not yet, at least.

Yeah, I was planning on going with the GM Performance Catback Exhaust. If I can return this intake, I would just get that instead with the money I've spent. I just didn't want to run into problems with that too.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:27 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tonio5555
I'm considering trying out the GMPP intake w/ LSJ manifold on my SAI equipped 2.2 Cobalt. If I do it I will use the GMPP Intake as well as an LSJ Manifold and downpipe so that the entire SAI system will essentially be deleted from the car. If the SAI setup is designed to improve emissions would replacing the O2 sensor so a non SAI O2 sensor prevent a CEL?
I am not aware of the O2 sensors being any different between the models.

BTW, a complete removal would also remove the air pump, which I think is probably really easy.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:00 AM

Why not just put a K&N crankcase filter on the end of the tube? They have a lot of sizes, it shouldn't be hard to find one that fits. I don't think the system cares where the air comes from as long as it is filtered.
Dennis
Old 11-26-2006, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by denniss
Why not just put a K&N crankcase filter on the end of the tube? They have a lot of sizes, it shouldn't be hard to find one that fits. I don't think the system cares where the air comes from as long as it is filtered.
Dennis
Smart, easy - I like it.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:22 AM

Dennis

Oh wow, I didn't even know they made these. Maybe I'll give it a try.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:56 AM

Not sayin that APC is a good company, but they make the breather filters, you can get them at autozone, they should fit.

LJ
Old 11-26-2006, 10:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is the secondary air injection supply line, which was added to late production 2006 model L61 cars. And your right, the GMPP intake doesn't provide for it. I'm afraid you won't be able to use your intake.
That explains something weird I noticed on the GMPP intake instruction sheet.

I have the "revised" instruction sheet, which says that this intake is for the 06 and 07 2.4 cars and for the 05 2.2 cars. I wondered why it doesn't mention the 06 and 07 2.2s, but evidently we now know why (although early 06s should be OK since the SAI system was a running change). The instructions go on to say that use of this intake in 06 and 07 2.2s (i.e., with SAI) will not be CARB legal. Reading between the lines, it sounds to me like they are aware the intake no longer is CA-legal on a SAI car, but you're more than welcome to go ahead and make it work (with a breather, or whatever) and it will be fine in the other 49 states.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:03 AM

If they wont take the GM intake back Regge, PM me and I might buy it off of ya
Old 11-26-2006, 02:13 PM

This is the joy of modifying things, anything that can go wrong will go wrong. I think it is an international law or something. When you are done you will be proud though.
Dennis
Old 11-26-2006, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by css9450
That explains something weird I noticed on the GMPP intake instruction sheet.

I have the "revised" instruction sheet, which says that this intake is for the 06 and 07 2.4 cars and for the 05 2.2 cars. I wondered why it doesn't mention the 06 and 07 2.2s, but evidently we now know why (although early 06s should be OK since the SAI system was a running change). The instructions go on to say that use of this intake in 06 and 07 2.2s (i.e., with SAI) will not be CARB legal. Reading between the lines, it sounds to me like they are aware the intake no longer is CA-legal on a SAI car, but you're more than welcome to go ahead and make it work (with a breather, or whatever) and it will be fine in the other 49 states.
This means that they didn't submit their intake for certification on the SAI cars. The CARB number is issued for a specific configuration.

I'd use the K&N breather filter on the extra hose and use the GMPP as-is. We did a similar thing when installing a PT Cruiser 2.4 engine in our Gen I Neon ACR.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by LewiSS
This means that they didn't submit their intake for certification on the SAI cars. The CARB number is issued for a specific configuration.

I'd use the K&N breather filter on the extra hose and use the GMPP as-is. We did a similar thing when installing a PT Cruiser 2.4 engine in our Gen I Neon ACR.

I'm going to actually do this today. *sarcasm* I'll let you guys know if my engine blows up.
Hey, gotta expect the worst, right?
Old 11-26-2006, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by ReggaeRampage
I'm going to actually do this today. *sarcasm* I'll let you guys know if my engine blows up.
Hey, gotta expect the worst, right?
Keep up updated, you're a GMPP/SAI pioneer! lol
Old 11-26-2006, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by tonio5555
Keep up updated, you're a GMPP/SAI pioneer! lol
Done!
I was fortunate enough to have someone at AutoZone help me out w/ everything.
And so far, so good! Stuck a breather filter on the tube, clamped it down. And voila!

No CEL. No weird sounds, except for all that air suction...
I'm officially a happy man.

I'll probably have a video and some pictures up sometime late tomorrow night.
For everyone who put up words of wisdom, "Thanks!"

Your advice will forever be appreciated.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:41 PM

It's never to early to start planning the next project. Ready for a turbo?
congratulations, your officially not a virgin!
Dennis
Old 11-26-2006, 06:42 PM

Hey CSS9450, did you get yours installed?
Dennis
Old 11-26-2006, 07:07 PM
Former Vendor

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
I'd love to see a picture of the fix, and part number for the filter you ended up using. I will post up the fix on the CED site incase anyone else runs into the same problem.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:34 PM

Done!
And so far, so good! Stuck a breather filter on the tube, clamped it down. And voila!

Glad to see you made it work! The secondary air injection hose just needs filtered air. Adding the filter to it cures the need. Everything else should work the same as with a 2.4. Now, cut a hole in your hood and make that sucker functional!
Old 11-26-2006, 07:45 PM
Banned

In the future also, for those who plan on buying the K&N intake, just get a dry filter instead of using the oiled filter. Same size and no issues. The car will not notice anything different. I would sell the K&N filter to some sap for an easy $10-20
Old 11-26-2006, 08:24 PM

Done!

Great job, I'd love to see pics.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey CSS9450, did you get yours installed?
Dennis
Nah I was working on some electrical issues on my Fiero.

I might take it to work Monday and install it during lunch. Looks like there's plenty of time to install it AND have an enjoyable lunch.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:18 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
*sigh*

No love for Halfcent

If you look in my very first reply, I told you how you could put a filter on the loose air line is you wanted. I feel so ignored.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:18 PM

*sigh*

No love for Halfcent

If you look in my very first reply, I told you how you could put a filter on the loose air line is you wanted. I feel so ignored.
Much respect bro...
I didn't ignore your first post. It's just that you mentioned this:

Well, you could use the intake, but then you will need to somehow filter the air entering that air pump line once you disconnect it.
That kind of confused me, because you made it seem hard by using the word "somehow". No one had done this before. So I figured there was probably a reason why. Then I heard about the crankcase filters. And I didn't even know those existed. Once I did some research, it turned out a lot easier than I thought.

I give you kudos for being the first one to post, pointing me in the right direction.

Your posts are the first ones I expect when it comes to the 2.2L! If that doesn't tell you how much respect I have for you, I don't know what does...
Old 11-27-2006, 09:05 PM

Here's the GMPP intake:

As you can see, I just stuck a "Shielded Filtered Breather" on the secondary air injection line (around $15).
The guy that helped me out happened to have an extra piece of hose that fit this filter. The clamps that you see are to secure the filter & the hose.

And before you say anything about the condition of my engine, cut me a break. I just tore the engine cover lose. That's the last time you'll ever see it look like that.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:16 PM

As you can see, I just stuck a "Shielded Filtered Breather" on the secondary air injection line (around $15).
The guy that helped me out happened to have an extra piece of hose that fit this filter. The clamps that you see are to secure the filter & the hose.
Yep, great install!

After seeing the pics, I wonder if you could "T" into the PCV line? The air would be from the filtered side of the intake. Then, again, it might disrupt the proper working of the PCV.

Halfcent, DenniSS, any thoughts?

-J-
Old 11-27-2006, 09:20 PM

You have 2 options. That SAI does not need to be a forced air system. so either you can take that hose zip tie it off out of the way and attack one of those mini valve cover breathers, or you can drill a small hole into teh GMPP intake and insert a nipple like nitrous setups use. Then attach that hose there. Neither of these options will void your warranty. And you can always keep your stock intake and throw it on the car a day before you need to take it to be inspected in case you are worried about it.

Quick Reply: Need HELP w/ GM intake install