2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Need Opinions on Next Mod (Dad's Paying)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry but im kinda noob to most tuning...whats the gains and point of crank pulley?...no flames please lol
Old 08-19-2006, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by SIMMONS 2.0
sorry but im kinda noob to most tuning...whats the gains and point of crank pulley?...no flames please lol
supposed to reduce drivetrain losses (not by much) and give faster revs. maybe 2-3 more hp at the wheels tops.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:44 PM

Get a tune.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the idea goes like this... an engine produces a set amount of power, you just can alter where that power goes. using a lighter or different sized pully alters where that power is being placed. think about how turning the air conditioning off "gives" you more power. it's because you're not "wasting" energy spinning the compressor.

when you spin something, at high RPM it has more of an effect on weight... again think of a lighter flywheel on an engine. saving a few ounces of crank pully weight can realistically allow several horsepower to get to the ground and help throttle response.

it's one of those things that has more of an effect on "feel" than anything else, but has no real side effects.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by patathSS
Get a tune.
where can we get a tune? i thought nobody had anything for the 2.2 yet
Old 08-20-2006, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Roadrunner
where can we get a tune? i thought nobody had anything for the 2.2 yet
there isn't..."Get A Tune" doesn't apply...thats a de de deee answer lol...if there was i'd have it already
Old 08-20-2006, 12:08 PM

so lemme ask this...having a CAI and exhaust...what would be my neaxt step to get some good gains....i am already ordering a 50 shot wet kit....i wanna know what else i can do without out changing internals for warranty reasons....high flow cat?
Old 08-20-2006, 06:55 PM

Unless you have your heart set on turbo, headers would be another good option.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:55 AM

so lemme ask this...having a CAI and exhaust...what would be my neaxt step to get some good gains....i am already ordering a 50 shot wet kit....i wanna know what else i can do without out changing internals for warranty reasons....high flow cat?
what about some cams? or would that be too close to internals?

thanks everybody for all your help with my q's and the advice, i will keep everyone posted.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:49 AM

thanks everybody for all your help with my q's and the advice, i will keep everyone posted.
to change cams you have to "crack" open the block and thats when my, or any, warranty voids ...i do want a turbo but i cant really afford one even when it comes out but i am getting n2o so part time boost is better than none...so i may just get the header and cat
Old 08-22-2006, 01:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
to change cams you have to "crack" open the block and thats when my, or any, warranty voids ...i do want a turbo but i cant really afford one even when it comes out but i am getting n2o so part time boost is better than none...so i may just get the header and cat
Actually that's incorrect...

on a DOHC motor like the ECOTECs, your camshafts are accessible with the valve cover moved. Camshafts are inside your cylinder head, not block.

And if you're worried about a warranty, I would use nitrous either.

By the way, they have to prove that you change whatever inside your motor in order to void your warranty. Depending on what you change, like your camshafts, you can sometimes tell and sometimes you can't without opening up the motor. Depending on the camshafts, the overlapping can cause a rougher idle which gives the impression that you had changed your camshafts but like on my old car (I changed my camshafts and replaced my cylinder head with a Patriot Stage II head), you couldn't tell any motor work was done at idle from the sound of it.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Technically the word internals really means anything inside your motor but you often hear it being referred to about the pistons & connecting rods (aka bottom end).
Old 10-17-2006, 10:51 PM

Do you have rims? Put the money toward that.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:56 PM

http://www.pierceyourride.com/

get 1 of those +12 hp
Old 10-17-2006, 11:03 PM
Banned

Blur look at the dates on these posts. Bringing up a dead post... +1
Old 10-18-2006, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by rallyyellow06
Blur look at the dates on these posts. Bringing up a dead post... +1
lol no kidding.

looks like cams might be my next mod, the mod mentioned here ended up being a lightened crank pulley, RSM racing
Old 10-18-2006, 02:54 AM

so you have a header, and corsa exhaust...what about in between ? did you replace the downpipe? i saw noone mentioned that, thats why i'm asking. you can get one from cobalt-addiction pretty cheap, with a cat already in it too.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:40 AM

lol whoops

lol no kidding.

looks like cams might be my next mod, the mod mentioned here ended up being a lightened crank pulley, RSM racing
I do what I can guys.

Really I just got bored and started reading threads. I wasn't looking at the dates at all. Anyway, my next mod will probably be the Magnaflow cat. It's not that expensive (seen it for under $100). Save the rest for something else.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
here's the situation, daddy dearest wants me to put more power at the wheels so he has offered to buy me a part for my car but it has to increase power.

I noticed this on Gravana, but the install instructions dont work, and i dont know if it will REALLY even make a difference.
http://www.gravanatuning.com/applica..._Regulator_Kit

Other ideas:

- Rsm Racing lightened crank pulley

- Ingalls torque damper

- Cams (but might be too expensive for dad's liking) http://www.levelzeromotorsports.com/...php?product=16

- Lightened flywheel (again maybe a bit of a stretch)

my estimated spending limits would probably be $200, but i could probably make up the difference if needed, but keep in mind i am still a student.

None of those mods are worth the money, unless you have the SS/SC. then you NEED the Ingalls.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:57 PM

lol no kidding.

So how do you like the lightened crank pulley? Did you get any noticable gains from it and did it cause you any problems since there was a thread a while back saying that they are bad for the car.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by BlackLS
So how do you like the lightened crank pulley? Did you get any noticable gains from it and did it cause you any problems since there was a thread a while back saying that they are bad for the car.
nope, havent had a thing happen. but it was a little wierd to re learn to shift again.

you can't take too many of these threads too seriously, especially as of late where people are just following the majority rather than posting facts, or following mods out of fear of getting banned for disagreeing.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:17 PM

nope, havent had a thing happen. but it was a little wierd to re learn to shift again.

you can't take too many of these threads too seriously, especially as of late where people are just following the majority rather than posting facts, or following mods out of fear of getting banned for disagreeing.
That's good to know that you didn't have any problems with it because I think I am going to get one. Did it make a noticable difference like does the car seem like it has more power or revs faster?
Old 10-19-2006, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by BlackLS
That's good to know that you didn't have any problems with it because I think I am going to get one. Did it make a noticable difference like does the car seem like it has more power or revs faster?
i dunno about more power, i read an article a while back that had a Scion with a pulley and it dynoed a 3whp gain, so i guess its possible, i would say its def less than 5whp gain if that helps.

it does make the car rev a little faster, like the rpms drop faster when you step on the clutch. still a good buy, i say go for it.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:46 PM

Nobody asked...............................Why does dad want you to have more power?????(and he's paying too???).........or does he plan on taking your ride on occassion??? he might be up to something. I'd check that before any other mods(hehe). Your rent might increase soon!!!! Just a thought.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:57 PM

you mean why did my dad want me to get more power and why was he paying (this thread started ages ago)
i didnt really think too much of it, i would guess that it was because he knew that i had put money into suspension (strut bar) and wanted to get more suspension. i always tell him that i can justify being a starving student and getting more parts for suspension cause it makes my car safer.

if he wants to take it for a spin, he can anytime he wants. hell i hope he drives the car over a cliff

Quick Reply: Need Opinions on Next Mod (Dad's Paying)