2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 11:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by no_ss
I would have to find a tuner in my area. Don't know anyone in the car scene really due to cops breaking up all the car meets I've been to
Dont trust some buddy who knows a guy or thinks he can tune because he looked at hp tuners one time, use this forum. there is a thread that has the location of a lot of tuners, find someone in your area, then search threads with tuner the info is here
Old 10-09-2014, 11:54 PM

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by LNFTX
Dont trust some buddy who knows a guy or thinks he can tune because he looked at hp tuners one time, use this forum. there is a thread that has the location of a lot of tuners, find someone in your area, then search threads with tuner the info is here
this is helpful right here ^
Old 10-10-2014, 12:23 AM

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by LNFTX
This. The LNF tune is way different from a V8 tune or even a 2.2 tune. Get someone who has actually tuned them.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:06 PM
Premium Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Checking in for further results
Old 10-10-2014, 11:15 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check in next year maybe
Old 10-11-2014, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by mr bill
Checking in for further results
if you're asking about what I've seen, I looked into the parts on zzp. I was gonna do forged rods and Pistons, there's a stage 3 clutch for a good price (all I could find for clutch) and then I was wondering if I'll need a new head and a new intake manifold?
Old 10-11-2014, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't need a new head, PnP and you'll do just fine and for the intake manifold the 2.4L #12587878 is the way to go. Either the gm part number I listed or if you got the money get the TTR manifold for better gains. This build is gonna be fun if you ever go through with, lol.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
He's got about a year of research before he figures out whats going on and goes through with it. I'd like to see OP go through with it but you should really spend some time researching first.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:29 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yuppppp^
Old 10-11-2014, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Spanky's Monkey
Don't need a new head, PnP and you'll do just fine and for the intake manifold the 2.4L #12587878 is the way to go. Either the gm part number I listed or if you got the money get the TTR manifold for better gains. This build is gonna be fun if you ever go through with, lol.
You can't run much boost through that manifold though can you? I have that manifold. I would rather be supercharged though.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by sandman
He's got about a year of research before he figures out whats going on and goes through with it. I'd like to see OP go through with it but you should really spend some time researching first.
Originally Posted by Blowncavy
Yuppppp^
I have an aftermarket shorty header, and I could do a normal 2.4 gm intake manifold for the time being. And if I get the k04 I could get an intercooler off an SS/TC in a salvage yard or buy a zzp intercooler and then I'm pretty sure the piping from a cobalt SS/TC will fit or mostly will fit and there's some tuner shops on fowler I could go to here in fort Myers to see who would be best for tuning and if I get forged rods and Pistons with the zzp stage 3 clutch and zzp axles on the front. Any ideas about the cranks in the 09 2.2 engines? Will I need a forged one or is it already forged? And what about the head of my engine? Will it need to be honed out? I know I'll need new injectors too. But if I buy a lot, it comes with injectors. Would I need #60 injectors?

Sorry I just have a lot of askin to do for when I do this, I want it to be right

Last edited by no_ss; 10-11-2014 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-11-2014, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by supernovanator
You can't run much boost through that manifold though can you? I have that manifold. I would rather be supercharged though.
If 17 Psi isn't enough for you on the s256 I guess not. How much boost you running?
Old 10-11-2014, 03:56 PM

btw, what's PnP
Old 10-11-2014, 04:00 PM

If 17 Psi isn't enough for you on the s256 I guess not. How much boost you running?
I had always heard the 2.4 plastic manifolds could only hold 7 or 8psi of boost before cracking or popping?

No boost for me right now. In two weeks(payday) I have to choose between a boosted kit or paying the car completely off and having $300 extra per month to do with what i want. Guess which one I'm picking? Only reason I want a supercharger is so I don't have to redo my exhaust completely. When I had the exhaust built 3 years ago I had a supercharger in mind then life got in the way. When I pay the car off in a couple weeks I'll start saving for forged internals and a SC kit.

btw, what's PnP
Depends on what you're talking about. In this case it means Port n' Polish. Other places it means plug n' play.

Last edited by Jesse; 10-11-2014 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-11-2014, 04:18 PM

any suggestion on if I should change the gear ratio?
Old 10-11-2014, 05:05 PM

I'll be honest with the SC you won't need forged internals. Plenty of 2.2s running SC without it and doing fine. I have a built engine cause I wanted 350whp on that s256 but I had to let the kit go. Had fun with that ZZP kit and my 2.4 intake took 17 psi just fine, not sure where the 7 psi bullshit stems from. I'm still running that intake manifold right now and pushing my car just as hard minus the boost. My best advice is to get your SC kit and rock it til you get bored with the power and then either build the engine and turbo swap or get a TVS and throw in some meth. Don't add meth on the stock internals with the M62 unless you wanna blow yo **** up. Meth injection is great for the cooling aspects but above all else it is a power adder on boost.

To the gear ratio question, meh. I have 3.9 final drive but thats cause I brought a race trans with LSD off of SMG a long time ago. If you follow the LNF guys yeah they all want the 4.45 or whatever it is but it's not needed for a DD compact sport car.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:34 PM

I'll be honest with the SC you won't need forged internals. Plenty of 2.2s running SC without it and doing fine. I have a built engine cause I wanted 350whp on that s256 but I had to let the kit go. Had fun with that ZZP kit and my 2.4 intake took 17 psi just fine, not sure where the 7 psi bullshit stems from. I'm still running that intake manifold right now and pushing my car just as hard minus the boost. My best advice is to get your SC kit and rock it til you get bored with the power and then either build the engine and turbo swap or get a TVS and throw in some meth. Don't add meth on the stock internals with the M62 unless you wanna blow yo **** up. Meth injection is great for the cooling aspects but above all else it is a power adder on boost.
I suppose it was just speculation that I read when I had the money for a kit. That was forever ago before I knew anything about ecotecs. I've been a SBC guy all my life. If I go SC it's probably going to be 2.8 pulley with 60s. Plan was to wait until the motor needed a rebuild and rebuild with forged. It's my dd so I'd likely get a beater before I do that. I don't like blowing things up. I'm too risk-averse.

Or maybe I'll get my Nova driving to use as a DD while this one is being built.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:44 PM

I suppose it was just speculation that I read when I had the money for a kit. That was forever ago before I knew anything about ecotecs. I've been a SBC guy all my life. If I go SC it's probably going to be 2.8 pulley with 60s. Plan was to wait until the motor needed a rebuild and rebuild with forged. It's my dd so I'd likely get a beater before I do that. I don't like blowing things up. I'm too risk-averse. Or maybe I'll get my Nova driving to use as a DD while this one is being built.
do you have a motor for your nova?
Old 10-11-2014, 06:39 PM

do you have a motor for your nova?
Yep.

Putting a 350 crank in the 307 that came out of it, 53cc heads and a moderate cam. Then when funds become available TT LSX.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:41 PM

Yep. Putting a 350 crank in the 307 that came out of it, 53cc heads and a moderate cam. Then when funds become available TT LSX.
nice man, I have a 350 small block I was gonna build as a 383 stroker but I think I'm gonna **** with my Balt instead.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:50 PM

nice man, I have a 350 small block I was gonna build as a 383 stroker but I think I'm gonna **** with my Balt instead.
Do you have a car to put it in? People always told me building a 307 is insane so I never considered building any other motor.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:08 PM

Do you have a car to put it in? People always told me building a 307 is insane so I never considered building any other motor.
no I don't, I'm trying to sell the block. 383 stroker is insane on power to weight if you get good heads and a good carb. All about the air and fuel mixture. My friend has a 73 vette with a 383 stroker and a 3 speed slap and we were going 120 within no time. He's got a perfect set up for ignition and fueling
Old 10-12-2014, 02:18 PM

Update on research: I found some forged rods brand new for 363$ roughly and I got a few things I'm trying to sell and I'm going to start stocking up on the parts I'll need for this build. I'm gonna start with buying the internals first along with axels and a clutch.

I won't be installing them though until I'm ready for turbo. Keeping everything the same age and condition.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:43 PM

Get clevite bearings all around while your at it. And I would highly reccomend replacing the timing chain set while you are at it. This adds to the cost but if you're going forged you're basically doing a rebuild and rebuilds should be fresh parts not beat parts supporting new parts. Just my 2 cent and experience in the matter. When I did my rebuild we decked the head and block and did a reseat on the valves. My cousin showed me the ins and outs of rebuilding a performance engine. In my position it pays to have the right people in your family, lol.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:45 PM

Get clevite bearings all around while your at it. And I would highly reccomend replacing the timing chain set while you are at it. This adds to the cost but if you're going forged you're basically doing a rebuild and rebuilds should be fresh parts not beat parts supporting new parts. Just my 2 cent and experience in the matter. When I did my rebuild we decked the head and block and did a reseat on the valves. My cousin showed me the ins and outs of rebuilding a performance engine. In my position it pays to have the right people in your family, lol.
you seem to be the most reliable source of information on this website so far, is it cool if I have any questions to message you when I need help with my build? And also how much are bearings and the timing chain?

Quick Reply: Turbo