2.2L LAP Performance Tech 2.2L LAP Performance Tech (2009+) 155 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

my 2.2 with ss headers downpipe and muffler

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 2.2 with ss headers downpipe and muffler

First question .. will it fit my 2.2?

Will it have any gain in power?

and How much would that cost normaly

thx
Old 04-21-2011, 10:41 PM

Received 222 Likes on 182 Posts
buy my badmab header!!https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/part...nd-new-248316/

and my intake mani
Old 04-21-2011, 11:11 PM

Donc care about that.. could someone answer those question plz?
Old 04-21-2011, 11:14 PM

1. Header and downpipe will fit no problem if your manuel, if your auto the downpipe will need cut. Get a aftermarket muffler.
2. Wll have a slight power gain but nothing to noticeable.
3. If you buy all this new your throwing your money away because you could get better for a cheaper price. OEM means big$$$$$$$
Old 04-21-2011, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by RedStil
First question .. will it fit my 2.2?

Will it have any gain in power?

and How much would that cost normaly

thx
Assuming your transmission is manually shifted refer to the first option of your sig. Before ya buy any parts do you know what your plans are for the car? Might want to think that over before buying much.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:24 AM

If you plan on boosting in the future it is not worth n.a parts
Old 04-22-2011, 11:18 AM

The guy is manual aswell and im too. So no cuting thx god.

Hes selling me this 150$ and the muffler and catalysts is empty he took it appart and weld it back.

And I just plan on upgrading the sound and power with it. No turbo or sc.

So is it worth buying?
Old 04-22-2011, 11:38 AM

yes for that price it is. I would upgrade the exhaust those so you'll get a bit more flow. You can get a tsudo exhaust on ebay for like $120.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:43 PM

Will it give me an significant power difference?
Old 04-22-2011, 02:47 PM

It will give you more than just a muffler yes.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:48 PM

I guess for that price its more then good
Old 04-22-2011, 07:51 PM

Im 2.2 running full header back 2.0SS exhaust and I think it was great cheap mod, I think I paid 40 for the header and 40 for the dp, then got the catback for free, so if you can do it on the cheap its a nice little mod for us that arent trying to make our slow cars slightly less slow. the sound is pretty decent, not ricey at all. just a nice little extra growl at WOT.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:49 AM

I'm going to the junkyard in the morning to help my dad pull some parts for his work van. I was gonna look around for an SS Cobalt to pull the exhaust from.

Fastfreddy7, you said its got a nice extra grown at WOT with your SS Exhaust. What is cruise like? My 'balt is strictly a commuter car, so I don't want it if its a whole lot louder at cruising speeds.

Also, can anyone tell me exactly what exhaust parts are swappable? I know I can put an entire SS exhaust on my car, but what about just the cat-back? Or do I have to get the SS header and down pipe too?
Old 04-23-2011, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Sindri907
I'm going to the junkyard in the morning to help my dad pull some parts for his work van. I was gonna look around for an SS Cobalt to pull the exhaust from.

Fastfreddy7, you said its got a nice extra grown at WOT with your SS Exhaust. What is cruise like? My 'balt is strictly a commuter car, so I don't want it if its a whole lot louder at cruising speeds.

Also, can anyone tell me exactly what exhaust parts are swappable? I know I can put an entire SS exhaust on my car, but what about just the cat-back? Or do I have to get the SS header and down pipe too?
You can put just the cat back on if you like, you won't notice anything power wise.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:56 AM

its just barely more noticeable at highway speeds. But with the k&n typhoon it growls at wot. Maybe I ll try to get a box this weekend. I know that at first I had just the manifold and down pipe with the stock ls catback, so I'm sure it would work the other way around as well.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by BlackARCA06
1. Header and downpipe will fit no problem if your manuel, if your auto the downpipe will need cut. Get a aftermarket muffler.
2. Wll have a slight power gain but nothing to noticeable.
3. If you buy all this new your throwing your money away because you could get better for a cheaper price. OEM means big$$$$$$$
Honestly id just do a badmab header... the op will feel very minimal gains with the ss stuff.
And with the downpipe granted LSJ downpipes have high flow cats. But id just get a good aftermarket downpipe.

Entire catback will fit as well as the header. Downpipe will fit if your a manual car.
As far as sound it probably wont sound any different... I couldnt hear my factory exhaust on my 2.4 car at all. And we share the same header and catback that the LSJ's do.
Now if you modifiy an LNF SS catback you will get a decent amount of sound out of it.
But its not a direct fit (flange needs changed at the downpipe end).
Old 04-23-2011, 01:04 PM

The guy is manual aswell and im too. So no cuting thx god.

Hes selling me this 150$ and the muffler and catalysts is empty he took it appart and weld it back.

And I just plan on upgrading the sound and power with it. No turbo or sc.

So is it worth buying?
Stay away from that exhaust. Hollow cats on na cars do not work well. You will loose significant low end torque, after about a week you will get a CEL and your gas mileage will go way down. That exhaust is a full straight pipe. It will be EXTREMELY loud. I tried that exact same setup but with a straight piece of pipe in place of hollowing out the muffler.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by FlyingLow
Stay away from that exhaust. Hollow cats on na cars do not work well. You will loose significant low end torque, after about a week you will get a CEL and your gas mileage will go way down. That exhaust is a full straight pipe. It will be EXTREMELY loud. I tried that exact same setup but with a straight piece of pipe in place of hollowing out the muffler.
Extremely loud? The cat is still there and i still have a resonator and a muffler.

I just dont understand one says No sound difference and the other one says extremely loud...

Who I have to trust?
Old 04-23-2011, 02:21 PM

With cat-quieter with some backpressure
With hollowed out cat or catless-louder and a lil loss in low end,more power in top end
With muffler-quieter with some backpressure
With hollowed out muffler or straight pipe-louder with a lil more flow,more top end.
This is all IN MY EXPERIENCE,not pure facts.but the exhaust your looking into will not be quiet at all.you'll most likely get a cel and lose some power low end but gain on top end.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:35 PM

Extremely loud? The cat is still there and i still have a resonator and a muffler.

I just dont understand one says No sound difference and the other one says extremely loud...

Who I have to trust?
Ok It will be a little louder but as long as you got the stock muffler it'll still sound alright but you will probably have some rasp and since the cat has been emptied out you will most likely get a cel. It wont hurt your performance too much but you'll probably loose some low end.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:45 PM

if your buying these parts and expecting to gain a bunch of power your in for a sad suprise
Old 04-23-2011, 02:46 PM

I believe he's sayin the muffler has been emptied also
Old 04-23-2011, 02:57 PM

Who I have to trust?
Your post said he removed the catalyst and muffler and re-welded it. I assumed you meant he cut it appart and hollowed the cat and removed the baffles in the muffler.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by lilredg588
I believe he's sayin the muffler has been emptied also
Sorry, then its gunna sound like **** your right.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:20 PM

Lol yeah.I had to read back over wat he said but I'm sure that's wat he meant

Quick Reply: my 2.2 with ss headers downpipe and muffler