2.2L LAP Performance Tech 2.2L LAP Performance Tech (2009+) 155 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

Supercharge my 2.2L LAP

Old 11-11-2009, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharge my 2.2L LAP

So i printed out portions of the threads with becks, hunters, and genes supercharge threads. Reading, highlighting, memorizing, etc. Tried coming up with a complete parts list but its kinda hard when they all took kinda the same/different routes. Obviously i wanna go the same way as them and go with the LSJ supercharge build. I'm not as knowledgeable as those guys but my father knows his **** inside and out. Him and i made a deal, i install a 6 disc changer and cruise control in his new van which hes picking up friday and he'll walk me thru this build from start to finish. I'm sure i'll be able to pick up quite a bit throughout the winter. I'm not starting this build anytime soon so for all those guys that are gunna tell me that i dont know enough, believe me, im spending all winter reading and researching this. My father also knows what hes doing, just needs to see the setup on my car and he's golden. He told me he'd prefer to supercharge a car over installing a cruise control. I've always been the electrical guru when it comes to cars between us. I'm just asking you guys for more info, threads that i may have missed, parts list down to every last bolt w/size, any sites that may sell parts that aren't supported on here, etc. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:19 PM

Gene's thread and list is your best bet - for parts and problems. Gene's smart and will prolly help you if you have any questions. You might want to ask him for his final list (I think he couldnt post it because it was to awesome and to big ).
I thought last time I checked he actually had every single part down to the bolts in his build thread.

MP81 has probably the most amazing build thread in terms of pictures.. He took pictures every 5 minutes even if he didnt do anything, lol!
Old 11-11-2009, 08:43 PM

Yeah, i went thru mostly genes and hunters and skimmed thru becks cuz by that time i was running low on energy. Most ppl do around 4:30am lol ill double check his out.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:53 PM

Check mp81's build thread (in the l61 section). It has every thing outlined... everything via pictures.
Gene has a complete list inside of his thread but youll need to read all of it lol. I have read these threads so many times @ 3am too lol.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 09CobaltLT
So i printed out portions of the threads with becks, hunters, and genes supercharge threads. Reading, highlighting, memorizing, etc. Tried coming up with a complete parts list but its kinda hard when they all took kinda the same/different routes. Obviously i wanna go the same way as them and go with the LSJ supercharge build. I'm not as knowledgeable as those guys but my father knows his **** inside and out. Him and i made a deal, i install a 6 disc changer and cruise control in his new van which hes picking up friday and he'll walk me thru this build from start to finish. I'm sure i'll be able to pick up quite a bit throughout the winter. I'm not starting this build anytime soon so for all those guys that are gunna tell me that i dont know enough, believe me, im spending all winter reading and researching this. My father also knows what hes doing, just needs to see the setup on my car and he's golden. He told me he'd prefer to supercharge a car over installing a cruise control. I've always been the electrical guru when it comes to cars between us. I'm just asking you guys for more info, threads that i may have missed, parts list down to every last bolt w/size, any sites that may sell parts that aren't supported on here, etc. Any help is greatly appreciated.
im using genes thread. but hunters how to is the best bet for the install
Old 11-12-2009, 12:26 AM

yea i printed out 4 of them. Hunters, Gene, Beck, this other one by hunter i believe where he listed parts and took a picture of them laying out on his bed. there was a few questions answered in that thread. one importantly regarding the alternator which is also answered in one of the other ones. that the stock alternator from the 2.2 LAP can be used. Correct me if im wrong cuz im still covering it all.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:35 AM

It's an interesting and fun install. Once you complete it you'll be very satisfied and proud of yourself for doing all of it on your own, with a little help from the dad lol
Old 11-12-2009, 03:02 AM
Banned

yep, also itl be faster that the stock lsj's. ive got the complete parts list i just start bolding everything when i get it
Old 11-12-2009, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by scottyguy401
It's an interesting and fun install. Once you complete it you'll be very satisfied and proud of yourself for doing all of it on your own, with a little help from the dad lol

Yeah im gunna do it myself, my fathers just gunna be there to basically assist me if somethings need to be custom fabricated like Gene had to do. And you only spent just below $1,700, very impressive. Same with the time it took you. Who did you go thru for the tune?

Originally Posted by cobalt123
yep, also itl be faster that the stock lsj's. ive got the complete parts list i just start bolding everything when i get it

Yeah i noticed that Gene, Hunter, and Beck were all putting out higher numbers than the stock LSJ's. Can you do me a huge favor and pm me your parts list? I asked Gene for his and i got Hunters/Becks printed out. Thanks
Old 11-12-2009, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by scottyguy401
This. That's exactly how I felt when I finished my build.

Just be prepared that it WILL take all weekend and it's going to be one of the most involved projects outside of rebuilding a motor.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:30 AM

Yeah i can't wait to get actually started on the build. I seem to have kinda run into a temporary road block. I've been looking for hrs for the numbers on the internals. Max hp/tq ratings on the stock parts. Tranny too. Hunter has written the rods are 250hp but snapped at 283hp under nitrous which leaves them around 300hp @ the crank i believe. The pistons he has down for roughly 250hp. The crank i read somewhere is good up until 500hp? Don't know about that one, sound a little iffy but if i get someone to back it up then i'll believe it. As for the tranny, Hunter has an automatic and according to GM Inside News Forum, his max rating is 325 lb-ft. I got a manual and i cant find ANYWHERE the max rating for my tranny. I don't believe the same tranny is in the 2009 LAP as the 05-07's. Anyone that has solid ratings for the LAP would be lovely lol
Old 11-13-2009, 07:00 PM

The power rating we have on those parts come directly from the GM build book. The book goes in stages, stock-250hp, 250-400hp, up to 600, then upto 1400 I think.I don't know if the tranny is differnet in the LAP. Check the owners manual?
Old 11-13-2009, 07:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 09CobaltLT
Yeah im gunna do it myself, my fathers just gunna be there to basically assist me if somethings need to be custom fabricated like Gene had to do. And you only spent just below $1,700, very impressive. Same with the time it took you. Who did you go thru for the tune?

Yeah i noticed that Gene, Hunter, and Beck were all putting out higher numbers than the stock LSJ's. Can you do me a huge favor and pm me your parts list? I asked Gene for his and i got Hunters/Becks printed out. Thanks
if you got genes then mines the same...im using the same set up except the intake i went with is AEM
Old 11-13-2009, 10:41 PM

Yeah it was just under 1700, but there were things in that total that I didn't even use, like the ls4 tb, extra coolant, and some other small things. And the actual install was less than 29 hours, there was a lot of down time, like waiting for the hardware store to open so we could get a bolt and waiting for my tuner to get there.

The guy that tuned beck for his supercharger was the guy that gave me my initial tune. But now I have a new tuner that tunes my car.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:48 PM
Banned

if you want you want my thread which has genes part list has the type of bolts you will need before hamd

also i didnt even think of the ls4 tb im using the lsj but ive heard of some reusing there l61/lap tb
Old 11-14-2009, 12:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually I revised my list to talk about the MAP sensors, etc. Here it is... I hope you enjoy.

This list is broken down to bare essentials for supercharging only and then adds the optional exhaust and optional wiper conversion lists. What type of injectors, pulley’s and other items you choose to change are strictly up to you. This is the list that I used and have modified it for a universal parts list.

Supercharger Related Parts Only
(Bare Essentials To SC Your 2.2 or 2.4)

New GM Parts

12575463 – LSJ TB Gasket
11900248 – LSJ TB To SC Bolts (4)
12584342 – LSJ Supercharger Gasket
12594387 – LSJ IC Pump Insulator
89046833 – IC Pump Connector
12597855 – LSJ Intake Manifold Gasket
12597993 – LSJ Stage 2 Serpentine Belt
15247280 – LSJ Upper Radiator Hose
15411879 – 2005 Cavalier Injector Wiring Harness
15253932 – LSJ Power Brake Booster Vacuum Hose
12584369 – LSJ TB To Purge Solenoid Tube
12585150 – LSJ IC Pump Rear Bracket To Intake Manifold Mount
12586367 – LSJ IC Pump Front Bracket To Rear Bracket
12586632 – LSJ Lower Intake Manifold Mount
11516342 – LSJ Intake Manifold Mount To Block Bolts (2)
11589214 – LSJ Supercharger to Intake Manifold Bolts (4)
12345982 – Genuine GM Supercharger Oil (Qty 2) 4 oz ea))

Purchasing the LSJ power brake booster hose takes care of 2 issues. I cut off the ends of my 2.2 hose and used it as a PCV hose from the valve cover to the LSJ air intake hose. It gives you the correct hose from your power brake booster to SC and gives you a factory looking formed hose for your PCV hose.

New Non- GM Parts

ZZP Heat Exchanger
GlowShift Vacuum | Boost Gauge
AEM Wideband Air | Fuel Ratio Gauge
OTTP 2.9 Polished Pulley (For Stage 2 Hub)
M-8501-L54 Ford Racing Intercooler Pump
NGK Copper Spark Plugs (Part# LFR6A-11) (Also one step colder)

Copper plugs are better than Iridium plugs or any other plugs for supercharged applications. People have gaps anywhere from .035 to .040. They come .040 and that is what I am using.

Used Parts

Eaton M62 Supercharger
GM Stage 2 Injectors (42lbs)
Stock LSJ Air Intake
Stock LSJ Tensioner
Stock LSJ Idler Pulley
Stock LSJ Throttle Body
Stock LSJ Intake Manifold
Stock LSJ Alternator Bracket

Optional Parts

ZZP Triple Gauge Pod
Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge

Injector Harness

I used the 2005 Cavalier injector wiring harness because it came with the proper connectors for using the original GM 42.5 lb Stage 2 injectors. I did have to splice my MAP sensor connector in from my original harness as I started out with the stock MAP sensor.

MAP Sensor

You can choose to use 3 different MAP sensors for your conversion. Which MAP sensor you choose will also depend on the connector needed to be used.

Stock MAP
This MAP sensor fits into the LSJ intake manifold, but you must modify the opening in the sensor where it screws into the intake. How I modified the sensor is in my SC build thread. This is the least expensive option and is the least hassle option.

LSJ 1 Bar MAP
This is the MAP sensor that is used in the SC on the stock LSJ. We can take that sensor and use it in the LSJ intake manifold. You will need to modify a means to secure it and also seal it to the LSJ intake manifold. How I modified this sensor to fit my car is also in my SC build thread. I would honestly say this is the least optimal choice out of the 3 possibilities for me.

LSJ 2.5 Bar MAP
This is the real MAP sensor used on the stock LSJ in the intake manifold. It best fits the stock LSJ intake manifold (obviously). This MAP sensor also has a temp sensor, otherwise known as IAT2 (Intake Air Temperature 2). Our cars cannot read the temp without modification. How I did the 2.5 bar MAP sensor conversion to read IAT2’s is also in my SC build thread.

Throttle Body Connector

If you are using the LSJ throttle body the connector you’ll need to have is an 8 pin. Regardless of what connector you do have or if you have to purchase the 8 pin, you will need to wire them for the LSJ TB.

2005 – 2006 2.2’s have an 8 pin connector. No new connector is needed.
2007+ 2.2’s have a 6 pin connector and you will need the 8 pin connector.

2006 – 2007 2.4’s have an 8 pin connector. No new connector is needed.
2008+ 2.4’s have a 6 pin connector and you will need the 8 pin connector.

If you need the 8 pin connector you’ll need the one below.

88986255 – LSJ 8 Pin TB Connector

Supercharger Cooling System

New GM Parts

22697069 – LSC SC Coolant Reservoir
15076936 – LSJ SC Coolant Reservoir Cap
15271970 – LSJ SC Coolant Reservoir Bracket
22697111 – LSJ SC Coolant Reservoir Overflow Hose
22699879 – LSJ SC Coolant Reservoir Inlet To Top Intake Manifold End Plate Hose
22707607 – LSJ Bottom Intake Manifold End Plate To Intercooler Pump Outlet Hose

Hose routing is with using ZZP heat exchanger only with 10 feet of Ύ heater hose. The house routing diagram I used is in my SC build thread.

First hose went from LSJ SC coolant reservoir outlet to ZZP heat exchanger inlet.
Second hose went from intercooler pump inlet to ZZP heat exchanger outlet.

I chose the stock SC cooling system for now. If you choose to use option B or any other alternative then you will need different hoses and lengths of hose.

I am running a 2.9 pulley with the ZZP heat exchanger only and my IAT2 temps are within +20 to +30 above ambient temp (which is optimal). Of course in traffic or during heavy WOT runs the temps are higher as expected (which is normal). This cooling method is very adequate.

Standard Bolts Needed (Not GM)

MAP To Intake Manifold
M6 x 1.0 x 25 (Qty 1)

LSJ Intake Manifold Mount Bracket To Intake Manifold
M10 X 1.50 x 50 (Qty 1)

LSJ Rear IC Pump Bracket To Intake Manifold Mount
M8 X 1.25 X 25 – (Qty 2)

LSJ Front IC Pump Bracket To Rear IC Pump Bracket
M8 X 1.25 X 35 – (Qty 2)

LSJ Idler Pulley To Alternator Bracket
M8 x 1.25 x 25

LSJ Intake Manifold To Block
M6 x 1.0 X 75 (Qty 2)
M6 x 1.0 x 25 (Qty 5)

LSJ Alternator Bracket To Block
M8 X 1.25 X 130 (Qty 3)

LSJ SC Bypass Valve To SC
M8 X 1.25 X 20 (Qty 2)

LSJ Tensioner Lower To Alternator Bracket
M8 x 1.25 x 35

LSJ Tensioner Upper To Alternator Bracket
M8 X 1.25 x 40… not standard bolt though. Has to be metric hex socket bolt.

LSJ SC Reservoir Bracket To SC
M6 x 1.0 x 15 (Qty 2)

LSJ SC Reservoir To SC Reservoir Bracket
M6 x 1.0 x 15 (Qty 2)

End of bare essentials list to supercharge your 2.2 or 2.4. The rest of the list below is simply optional.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exhaust Parts (Optional)

GM Parts

90537953 – LSJ Exhaust Manifold Heat Shield
15231157 – LSJ Downpipe To Cat Back Gasket
15235773 – LSJ Exhaust Manifold To Downpipe Gasket

Use your stock 2.2 or 2.4 exhaust manifold gasket, or buy new, as if you used the LSJ exhaust manifold gasket it wouldn’t fit properly and you would have an exhaust leak and/or noise.

Used Parts

Stock LSJ Downpipe
Stock LSJ Exhaust Manifold

The stock LSJ downpipe works on any manual shift car. It does not fit the automatic because of the way the automatic engine sits in the vehicle.

The LSJ exhaust manifold and LSJ downpipe are much bigger to allow more exhaust to exit the engine. This is important as you are forcing more air into the engine with the supercharger so you need to provide adequate output as well. Feel free to purchase your aftermarket selection of header/dp combo.

Windshield Wiper Conversion (Optional)

GM Parts

22729469 – LSJ Windshield Washer Container
22732432 – LSJ Wiper Cowl To Washer Container Hose

You’re moving the LSJ air intake to the left side of the vehicle and that is where the 2.2 and 2.4 windshield wiper container is. The container I listed includes a new pump, grommet, cap and hose to attach to wiper cowl hose. The wiper cowl to container hose I list is the original GM hose on the LSJ that goes from the left side of the wiper cowl (where ours is) and takes it to the right side where it meets up with the LSJ washer container that I list. As far as the connector for the pump, I cut the end of the connector off and added new wire to loom it from the left side of the car to the right side of the car to the new container location. I ran the loom across the top of the inside of the radiator support where there is already a loom running for something else. I ran it inside its own loom and wire tired to the existing loom.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:45 PM

i have a full sc set up im trying to sell to go turbo. lmk if interested