2.2L LAP Performance Tech 2.2L LAP Performance Tech (2009+) 155 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

Turbo or Supercharge?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo or Supercharge?

Hey guys, I know a million people have asked but I still can't figure this out. I don't know whether to turbo or sc my 09. I have come to understand supercharger seems more reliable. but what about power, cost? can anyone elaborate on this for me?
Old 12-22-2009, 12:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 07Maliboo
Hey guys, I know a million people have asked but I still can't figure this out. I don't know whether to turbo or sc my 09. I have come to understand supercharger seems more reliable. but what about power, cost? can anyone elaborate on this for me?
supercharge = just under $2k if i remember

turbo = over $3k depending on new/used

both are as reliable as you want them to be...as in how much power/boost you put through
Old 12-22-2009, 12:35 AM

Depends on if u wana suck or whine
Old 12-22-2009, 05:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
supercharger = cheaper, instant power, 250whp is easily obtained, gets pricey if you want over 300
turbocharger = more expensive, lag, 300whp easily obtained, not too much pricier for mid-high 300's

i say if you're looking for a decent bump in power, a SC is where its at, but if you want a track car, then turbo
Old 12-24-2009, 10:55 AM

hey thanks so much guys for the info. I'm still gonna stick with my sc build then. I just got a new gf and her grand prix is sc. I LOVE the instant power you feel. And the whine is killer. now it's time to save. ha ha. I'm going to follow gene's build and hopefully I'll be able to have this done in a few years of slowly savin and gettin little things here and there.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I am a superchrager fan, but lets get some better facts in this thread.

The reason everyone thinks turbos are way more expensive is they do two major things:

A: compare a new turbo setup to a used SC setup. You cant do this...if your building a new turbo kit comapre it to a new supercharger kit. A new supercharger kit is $2400+header/dp+intake+heat exchanger+pump+hoses/clamps+tune Thats gonna get you about 215hp+ A turbo charger kit that will get you 215hp+ is gonna run $2000+tune

B:People almost always "overbuild" when it comes to turbos
You never hear about people doing a sub 300hp turbo build....People always "go big" with a turbo build, like its some pissing contest....Everybody is building with a some sort of GT30 or larger, Super20Gs, etc, you never hear about the guy thats shhoting for 225hp and has a bunch of pictures of his brand new GT2560R to show everyone. And you never see guys putting Harrops on the 2.2/2.4 to go past 270hp easily, but every other day there is a thread about so and so and their 2.2 that needs a GT3076R, and a supercharger thats on its 4th owner....

A proper low pressure turbo build will make more power than your basic SC swap, wont cost anymore,(around $2000), weighs significantly less and is actually less complex as far as the install goes.

But lets not let all these Eaton sit around and go to waste, lets have yet another pieced together SC kit.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:29 PM

So basically I can put an eaton IN my car and get about 215 hp? That's about all I'm looking for. So looking at a used eaton I can probably get that kinda power ?
Old 12-24-2009, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Maven
I am a superchrager fan, but lets get some better facts in this thread.

The reason everyone thinks turbos are way more expensive is they do two major things:

A: compare a new turbo setup to a used SC setup. You cant do this...if your building a new turbo kit comapre it to a new supercharger kit. A new supercharger kit is $2400+header/dp+intake+heat exchanger+pump+hoses/clamps+tune Thats gonna get you about 215hp+ A turbo charger kit that will get you 215hp+ is gonna run $2000+tune

B:People almost always "overbuild" when it comes to turbos
You never hear about people doing a sub 300hp turbo build....People always "go big" with a turbo build, like its some pissing contest....Everybody is building with a some sort of GT30 or larger, Super20Gs, etc, you never hear about the guy thats shhoting for 225hp and has a bunch of pictures of his brand new GT2560R to show everyone. And you never see guys putting Harrops on the 2.2/2.4 to go past 270hp easily, but every other day there is a thread about so and so and their 2.2 that needs a GT3076R, and a supercharger thats on its 4th owner....

A proper low pressure turbo build will make more power than your basic SC swap, wont cost anymore,(around $2000), weighs significantly less and is actually less complex as far as the install goes.

But lets not let all these Eaton sit around and go to waste, lets have yet another pieced together SC kit.
Correct. People will believe you because you said it, but if I would have said that people would jump down my back.

Some used turbo components and you could easily make the same power, for the same money, have practically no lag, and have much safer boost temperatures which equals longer engine life.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:15 PM

while maven brings great points to the table, i still believe the SC is cheaper, even used for used. I got my stuff for $1500 all said and done. also, unless his HP numbers are at the wheel, i would say his numbers are a bit low for the SC. a basic kit with no HE and stock exhaust is rated at 200hp, and thats with a big pulley.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by slowswap
Correct. People will believe you because you said it, but if I would have said that people would jump down my back.

Some used turbo components and you could easily make the same power, for the same money, have practically no lag, and have much safer boost temperatures which equals longer engine life.
That's BS, I don't believe you.

..JK

Last edited by Mr.N00bLaR; 12-25-2009 at 12:45 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:02 PM

I'm for sure going sc. I've been interested since day one and I now have my official answer. I'm chargin super style. my next step though from here is to slam my baby. I got k sports comin as we speak and I'm gonna have one low balt. I'll keep everyone updated as I go. thanks for all your info guys. and special thanks to maven, hunter, and gene. you guys have been the experts I need on this. gene thanks for the list of goodies I'll need and hunter thanks for your input as well as you maven.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:13 PM

I'm probably gonna go Turbo, small build though. ZZP stage 1, around 200WHP. That;ll run me around $2000 for ALL NEW COMPONENTS. Not used ****. TThen I just need a tune and I'm set.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:28 PM

I'm thinking about going for a turbo build in the future and I'm planning on using a Turbonetics T3 Super 60. If I get about 250 wheel I'll be good.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:33 PM

Supercharge!
Old 12-24-2009, 11:54 PM

ha ha too many different opinions. this is nuts. I'm feeling sc ftw. used isn't always bad guys. I trust most the guys on here to sell good products and help other members out. btw, If anyone is lookin for silver trim, since I'm in a christmas mood I'll sell it super cheap. I'm talkin about interior trim btw.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:57 PM

Its never good enough...
Old 12-25-2009, 12:09 AM

ha ha too many different opinions. this is nuts. I'm feeling sc ftw. used isn't always bad guys. I trust most the guys on here to sell good products and help other members out. btw, If anyone is lookin for silver trim, since I'm in a christmas mood I'll sell it super cheap. I'm talkin about interior trim btw.
used blowers are fine, used turbos not so much. The blower will easily outlast the life of the engine, whereas the turbo would require the occasional rebuild. IMO this is a reason to compare a used SC setup to a new TC setup. I wouldnt run a used TC unless it was freshly rebuilt. Course thats just me, but take it for what its worth
Old 12-25-2009, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
used blowers are fine, used turbos not so much. The blower will easily outlast the life of the engine, whereas the turbo would require the occasional rebuild. IMO this is a reason to compare a used SC setup to a new TC setup. I wouldnt run a used TC unless it was freshly rebuilt. Course thats just me, but take it for what its worth
Most used turbos are in good shape and do not require a rebuild.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by slowswap
Most used turbos are in good shape and do not require a rebuild.
thats why i included the last sentence.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:01 AM

ha. yeah super chargers seem to be more reliable the more I look into it. but hey to each his own
Old 12-25-2009, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
while maven brings great points to the table, i still believe the SC is cheaper, even used for used. I got my stuff for $1500 all said and done. also, unless his HP numbers are at the wheel, i would say his numbers are a bit low for the SC. a basic kit with no HE and stock exhaust is rated at 200hp, and thats with a big pulley.
ALrighty HK........used for used....well I, like you, find it highly unlikely I would ever buy a used turbo. And while you may have only spent $1500 on your SC setup I think if we looked around and took a poll,(and people were honest) we would find it much more likely that even with second hand parts the average supercharger build costs over $2000, and often significantly more. My numbers arent low, 215whp is about what a SC swap gets you, I dont think there are many guys with much over about 265hp either so its still the same ballpark(pulley differences really) and the kit is rated at 200CRANK Hp when its nonintercooled.......but thats slightly underrated, etc.....in the end almost noone runs the stock pulley anyway, but 215hp is a solid number for a stock pulley.

Originally Posted by NJjon
I'm probably gonna go Turbo, small build though. ZZP stage 1, around 200WHP. That;ll run me around $2000 for ALL NEW COMPONENTS. Not used ****. TThen I just need a tune and I'm set.
There you go, thats seems to be a solid setup, has WAY more headroom than the SC does if your power goals change, and the initial install is less complex than an SC install, its all new and of course, my favorite, it probably weighs about a third of what an SC setup would weigh to get the same power

ha. yeah super chargers seem to be more reliable the more I look into it. but hey to each his own
Superchargers are more reliable because there is less you can do to f*ck it up. Much less possible user error, but just remember the LNF has a 100k mile warranty just like the last of the LSJs did, so obviouslt GM isnt concerned with reliability.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Maven
ALrighty HK........used for used....well I, like you, find it highly unlikely I would ever buy a used turbo. And while you may have only spent $1500 on your SC setup I think if we looked around and took a poll,(and people were honest) we would find it much more likely that even with second hand parts the average supercharger build costs over $2000, and often significantly more. My numbers arent low, 215whp is about what a SC swap gets you, I dont think there are many guys with much over about 265hp either so its still the same ballpark(pulley differences really) and the kit is rated at 200CRANK Hp when its nonintercooled.......but thats slightly underrated, etc.....in the end almost noone runs the stock pulley anyway, but 215hp is a solid number for a stock pulley.

IDK if most are well over $2k. I'd say the average seems to be exactly $2k, but again, we'd need some sort of poll to figure this one. I'll concede the point. i said the numbers are low unless you're stating whp numbers...so again, we agreed there.

At the end of the day, i think the big deciding factors should be what your power goals are and what kind of power delivery you enjoy. I'm sure we can agree on this, and this is what the OP should be asking himself.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:09 AM

I agree on NOTHING.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:26 AM

I'm all for instant power. . I'll stick the sc build
Old 12-25-2009, 10:41 AM

be different and twincharge the damn thing lol

Quick Reply: Turbo or Supercharge?