2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

***WARNING To 2.2's/2.4's*** Brake Booster Vac line!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
***WARNING To 2.2's/2.4's*** Brake Booster Vac line!

Well if you read my post in the Troubleshooting section:
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/problems-service-maintenance-69/im-fed-up-someone-please-help-idle-problem-2-4ss-139653/

I was having Idling and acceleration problems and poor Gas Millage
Yesterday I had access to a Garage, hooked my car up to a scan tool(Did more than read DTC's) and noticed it was misfiring in #1 and #4 Cylinders. Checked Spark Plugs, they where fine. Checked Intake Manafold, it was fine, I also cleaned it out a little. Checked for vac leak with Propane, nothing, however I didn't go down by the Brake Booster vac line.

So here I was with a friend of mine, trying to figure it out, next thing we know, we heard a "Whistling" noise. Looked down at the Brake Booster Vac line, here was a hole in the line. Now here's the thing, it was naturally rubbing up against a metallic object(I think the shift linkage), right below the line! I forget what it's called as I'm currently not looking in my car as I'm at work.

Anyways, I replaced the line, PERFECT! She is good as new.

So anyway, this is a Warning to you 2.2/2.4 owners, if it happened to me, it could happen to you as it looks like something that a TSB should be issued. I'll post pics of the line here tonight. I'll also bring the hose back to the dealership and show them how wrong they were that my car was running fine and that the rough idle was natural.

Check your hose guys, it might be on the brink of having a hole in it.

PS: I was getting the P0171 Code, for too lean for a few months now, however I have a CAI which would not flair up the DTC because I have a Vector Tuned Computer. Since I replaced the Vac line, I no longer have the P0171 DTC!

Last edited by Coors; 11-10-2008 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:53 PM

hmm good to know, thanks for the info!
Old 11-11-2008, 01:36 PM

I have a Vector tuned ECM also and I actually get a P0171 DTC once in a while (due to my Rebel 3'' intake). I don't see why you were not getting the code.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by pat_07ss
I have a Vector tuned ECM also and I actually get a P0171 DTC once in a while (due to my Rebel 3'' intake). I don't see why you were not getting the code.
When I ordered my ECM from Vector, I had to give my Mod's and my Altitude.
He then inputs the numbers into the ECM so it compensates for the mod's and height above sealevel, so it won't throw a DTC for being too lean. That's what the Vector tune does btw, it leans out the car as it's very rich at stock.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Coors
When I ordered my ECM from Vector, I had to give my Mod's and my Altitude.
He then inputs the numbers into the ECM so it compensates for the mod's and height above sealevel, so it won't throw a DTC for being too lean. That's what the Vector tune does btw, it leans out the car as it's very rich at stock.

I know that, they did the same for mine also, but my intake (Rebel) is not restrictive enough (less restrictive aftermarket intake IMO).

It throws off fuel trims out of the acceptable range and the ECM can't compensate. Fuel trims are close to that limit apparently when stock, so imagine what an intake does.
So you get sick gains with Rebel on a 2.4, but a nice CEL once in a while.

They have tunes for very popular intakes (AEM, Fujita, Injen, GMPP, etc.) but not the Rebel Autoworxs intake unfortunately... since very few people have it and they haven't seen one at Vector to tune with yet.

Chris at Vector said he would need my car to tune my A/F ratio and readjust my fuel trims.... meaning an 18 hour drive there and back for me
Old 11-11-2008, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by pat_07ss
I know that, they did the same for mine also, but my intake (Rebel) is not restrictive enough (less restrictive aftermarket intake IMO).

It throws off fuel trims out of the acceptable range and the ECM can't compensate. Fuel trims are close to that limit apparently when stock, so imagine what an intake does.
So you get sick gains with Rebel on a 2.4, but a nice CEL once in a while.

They have tunes for very popular intakes (AEM, Fujita, Injen, GMPP, etc.) but not the Rebel Autoworxs intake unfortunately... since very few people have it and they haven't seen one at Vector to tune with yet.

Chris at Vector said he would need my car to tune my A/F ratio and readjust my fuel trims.... meaning an 18 hour drive there and back for me
So then you should know then why I wasn't getting the DTC Code (I have the Injen CAI mod listed in my Sig)
Honestly though, I don't see how one CAI would get "Sick" gains compared to other CAI's. Pretty much the same Bends, I personally have the AEM DryFlo on the end of mine.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:35 PM

want to see pics
Old 07-06-2009, 03:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrsilent13
want to see pics
lol 8 months old?
Old 07-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Banned

I relocated mine when I put the LE5 intake manifold on.Thanks for the warning though
Old 07-06-2009, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by nhanson
lol 8 months old?
hey i still want pics