2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

2.4 SS versus Ford Focus

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 01:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.4 SS versus Ford Focus

Hey guys,

I just wanted to post this story. I was driving back with my wife from my nephews birthday party when at a light some dude and his buddy (perhaps boyfriend) pulled up beside me. They were making the international signal for "roll down your window" so I did expecting them to comment about how sweet the SS was looking. But no, instead hes like "My buddy says $100 that he'll beat you light to light" and I was shocked at the total lack of respect. BALDERDASH!

Now, having driven a Ford Focus, I know for the fact that stock for stock, they don't have **** against the 2.4 SS. I know it wasn't an SVT Focus or anything like that, but I guess you never know what's lurking under the hood or in the back, like a blue bottle of NO2.

Anyways, I just shook my head and laughed like "are you serious?" considering that it was a busy street and street racing in the middle of the day is just about the dumbest thing I could do.

So, am I right here? Has anyone else raced a Ford Focus? I think they're like 151 hp or some crap like that. I don't know how he thought he'd win.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:06 AM

well did you race him? I raced focuses in my 2.2 and beat them. Only mods is intake and exhaust for now. But ya you should have man, would have been great to see the look on his face. Plus made your wallet a little fatter.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:12 AM

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=100_1264.flv

2.2 vs st (2.3)

my mods are h/e

focus are i/e/t 151 hp stock

no focus has a chance and i know because i still own a focus
Old 06-25-2007, 02:12 AM

It was a busy ass street so maybe he was talking **** knowing the race would never happen.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:50 AM
Banned

or maybe...he thought you were a base model......

or maybe...he knew youd back down because you had the woman with ya....

or maybe...he was drunk..or high...or both.

or maybe...im tired and im off to bed...

and yes, you shouldve taken him...even if he had mods.... (youd lose if he had a turbo)...

but you should be able to take him stock, if he had a few mods...

Last edited by TCarter; 06-25-2007 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-25-2007, 06:04 AM

I've driven a ford focus before for about a week once. Let me just say that you can barely notice yourself accelerate. However, it was the stock base model that I drove and I think its powered by 4 squirrels. So, maybe the SVT Focus has a little more *****, hopefully.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:48 AM

SVT is the only one that stands any sort of chance....and there still a HIGH 15 second car....ive beaten other foci in my damn aveo lol.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Spectral
SVT is the only one that stands any sort of chance....and there still a HIGH 15 second car....ive beaten other foci in my damn aveo lol.
Good **** man Aveo FTW!!!
Old 06-25-2007, 06:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They're turds you would have taken his money.....if he wasn't sprayin that is! Next time say "motor for motor?" and if they agree you got his ass! If not you know he's got a bottle in the trunk.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:11 AM

Ford Focus with an M62 Eaton isn't even breakin into the 13's, if that helps you feel any better. I know first hand, cause one of the guys that comes to a local meet has one. It's pretty stealthy though, but he runs 14's all day long
Old 06-25-2007, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by E-Town SS
Hey guys,

I just wanted to post this story. I was driving back with my wife from my nephews birthday party when at a light some dude and his buddy (perhaps boyfriend) pulled up beside me. They were making the international signal for "roll down your window" so I did expecting them to comment about how sweet the SS was looking. But no, instead hes like "My buddy says $100 that he'll beat you light to light" and I was shocked at the total lack of respect. BALDERDASH!

Now, having driven a Ford Focus, I know for the fact that stock for stock, they don't have **** against the 2.4 SS. I know it wasn't an SVT Focus or anything like that, but I guess you never know what's lurking under the hood or in the back, like a blue bottle of NO2.

Anyways, I just shook my head and laughed like "are you serious?" considering that it was a busy street and street racing in the middle of the day is just about the dumbest thing I could do.

So, am I right here? Has anyone else raced a Ford Focus? I think they're like 151 hp or some crap like that. I don't know how he thought he'd win.
focus SVT's got 170hp. 2.4's got that straight-up. if he'd have been an SVT it'd have maybe been a race. assuming nothing hidden, that is.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:04 AM

the svt is slow..... it only has the advantage top end with the get rag 6 speed. from a dead stop they are slightly faster than a zx3/4. the st is almost faster all the way around
Old 06-25-2007, 01:45 PM

hah i was drivin by and svt focus the other day, the guy didnt even bother
Old 06-25-2007, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Spectral
isn't there a nitrous ready SALEEN focus? (still probably not fast )
Old 06-25-2007, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by 1gmfanatik
Ford Focus with an M62 Eaton isn't even breakin into the 13's, if that helps you feel any better. I know first hand, cause one of the guys that comes to a local meet has one. It's pretty stealthy though, but he runs 14's all day long
there are many many in the 13's... the svt with the JR s/c is the m62 and a slug... JR zetec kit is an m45. look into powerworks.

i too have owned a focus and without some $$$ it won't keep up.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:08 PM
Not a Sebring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by E-Town SS
Hey guys,

two of my best friends/fellow car club members have Foci. One has an '07, the other is an '05........same body style/engine though, and both are SE hatchbacks. They come rated at like 136hp I believe, but don't quote me on that. Anywho, the '05 has a #1 2.25" cat-back, a Cosworth 3" cold air intake and an SCT Xcal re-flash, and the '07 has a Tru-Benz 2.5" cat-back, F2 cold air intake, F2 long tube stepped header, Focus Central big bore throttle body and an SCT Xcal re-flash. I can walk the '05 easily, but the '07 actually puts up a good fight. I haven't raced the '07 since he installed the header, as he just installed it a few days ago (LOUDEST FREAKIN CAR EVER NOW!!!!!!!), but i'd still pull on him and get him every time, which is actually saying alot for my car as its in dire need of tuning and runs pretty crappy (multiple CEL's). Granted, the only have a 2.0 engine and a good amount of less hp/tq, but they do weigh a good bit less than us 200-300lbs roughly. The 2.4SS is a bit faster than a stock 05+ Focus stock, but when modded, they make pretty fair competitors. I gotta say, I love my friends Foci.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Saintcyanide
I've driven a ford focus before for about a week once. Let me just say that you can barely notice yourself accelerate. However, it was the stock base model that I drove and I think its powered by 4 squirrels. So, maybe the SVT Focus has a little more *****, hopefully.
rep added for the mind numbing brilliance of this joke.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:02 PM

Lol Focus Lol
Old 06-25-2007, 05:47 PM
Not a Sebring

Originally Posted by Claudia SS
Lol Focus Lol
um, whats wrong with a Focus? Yeah, so its not some fire-breathing huge hp making supercar, but its a perfectly respectable car, especially the newer Duratec equipped models. My friends paid about $15,000 for their cars w/ nice options, which is relatively cheap for a car as nice as it is, and both cars are decently quick with light mods. Plus, they're quite nimble in the twisties. I'm not much of a Ford fan, but the Focus is one Ford I actually like and I think they make a great car for someone who wants to modify it, and still drive it daily for work and occasionally take it to the track, much like two of my best friends do with their Foci.

flaming.........what good does it really do???
Old 06-25-2007, 10:02 PM

Buddy has a se 4 door 5 speed and i have him by a few cars at the end of 1st.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:53 PM

I don't know...when I test drove the Focus I thought it was a POS, especially with an automatic. It was freaking loud inside too when the car was accelerating. It's like they didn't put any thought it sound-deadening materials.

I know my Aunt really likes her Focus..no wait..no she doesn't.

Just checking on the SVT focus...170 hp (respectable) and 145 torque (a little low). Not like the 2.4 has that much more torque, but any makes a difference. I guess the big issue could be gearing, driver ability (especially with a manual tranny), and also power to weight ratio.

I think overall the SS is a much more refined car and I like the way it rides. I also find the seats super comfortable..reminds me of my 87 monte carlo ss in terms of the comfort.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Not a Sebring

its funny.........everyone keeps pointing out that the Focus has less hp than the 2.4........but does anyone realize that the 3-door hatchbacks........the ones people generally modify (yes I know, people hook them all up but the 3-doors are by far the most common modded) weigh a good bit less than our cars??

less weight essentially is like having extra hp.

Like I said before my two buddies who have Duratec Foci 3-door hatches can both hang with my car pretty week. Both have tunes, cat-backs and intakes, and one of them also has a big bore TB and a long tube header. I wouldn't call them slow in comparison to our cars.

Fit and finish, sure, Focus's aren't the best. But this post originally was just talking about the performance of a Focus, not how "noisy the interior is".
Old 06-26-2007, 10:21 PM

LoL, oh man thi thread is funny. I used to own a focus before I bought my Ion. The focus is a nice car with a rather large aftermarket following. And the Duratecs in the new one's love boost. With anywhere bettween 8-12 PSI on an intercooled turbo puts them in the 13's with ease. Even if they stay N/A with the larger 2.3's they can get up to 180 WHP with bolt ons and cams with a tune. One car is not better then the other, just each can shine in its on area. But get real we all drive econo boxes

I just find it funny you go onto a Cobalt forum and cobalt owners talk down about the fous, go on a focus forum and the same thing happans
Old 06-26-2007, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by REDFOCZ
LoL, oh man thi thread is funny. I used to own a focus before I bought my Ion. The focus is a nice car with a rather large aftermarket following. And the Duratecs in the new one's love boost. With anywhere bettween 8-12 PSI on an intercooled turbo puts them in the 13's with ease. Even if they stay N/A with the larger 2.3's they can get up to 180 WHP with bolt ons and cams with a tune. One car is not better then the other, just each can shine in its on area. But get real we all drive econo boxes

I just find it funny you go onto a Cobalt forum and cobalt owners talk down about the fous, go on a focus forum and the same thing happans

Since when was it a crime to have an opinion? I don't understand people when they are afraid to express how they feel about something. I have never been a big Focus fan...perhaps because I was raised a Chev/GM person.

Any car can be fast with aftermarket parts. You throw a turbo in a Geo Metro and I am sure it will be faster than the car was previously. What's wrong with driving a car with decent gas milage, or an "econo-box" as it was called? Plus, with todays gas prices, who wants to pay for gas in a car that eats it? I have a Mazda B-4000 4 x 4 in addition to the SS and I can say I WISH the truck got within 10 mpg of the Balt.

I think people who drive "econo-boxes" are the ones with brains for many reasons. First of all, it's not ugly as **** like a Smart Car, but it's still a good looking car. We're not going to need a second mortgage to keep the thing filled. Think about the environmental impact that this car has compared to say a V-8 powered truck or car. Yeah yeah, I know, save the planet, blah blah blah. Bottom line the car is relatively good on fuel and it's also decently quick. For me it's a good combo of both fuel economy and capability.

Of course, all of this is my personal opinion...take it for what it is.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:29 PM

the duratec engine doesnt like boost.... you cant get over 8 psi on stock internals or you will bend the rods.

Quick Reply: 2.4 SS versus Ford Focus