2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

Adding a supercharger/turbo???

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding a supercharger/turbo???

Ok so heres my situation, i'm buying a new car in about 2 weeks. Theres no way in hell i can get my parents to cosign on a ss supercharged, so i'm planning on getting the regular ss 2.4L. Can i add a supercharger or a turbo to it? Or what can i do to add hp the fastest? (sorry i'm not to big into cars, this will be my first nice car and i kinda want it to go fast.)

Someone please help it would be greatly appreciated!

ok i did a little more lookin around on this site and saw this..http://www.tntautosport.com/index.ph...roducts_id=208
i know, i'v read the replys to it...but my question is, is it for automatic or stickshift?

god i'm so stupid when it comes to cars lol

Last edited by GrahamCracka78; 07-15-2007 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-15-2007, 07:25 AM

wellcome to the site
and im pretty sure its both
Old 07-15-2007, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by GrahamCracka78
Ok so heres my situation, my parents are buying me a new car in about 2 weeks. Theres no way in hell i can get my parents to cosign on a ss supercharged, so i'm planning on getting the regular ss 2.4L. Can i add a supercharger or a turbo to it? Or what can i do to add hp the fastest? (sorry i'm not to big into cars, this will be my first nice car and i kinda want to die in it.)

ok i did a little more looking around on this site and saw this..http://www.tntautosport.com/index.ph...roducts_id=208
i know, i've read the replys to it...but my question is, is it for automatic or stickshift?

god I'm really really stupid when it comes to cars lol

I'm sorry to say this so bluntly, You will find that I do that where others try to blow sunshine up your ass.

1. You do not sound like the type of person who should own an after market modified car, by that I mean to say that you will not have a warranty to back your up and you definitely lack the mechanical skill to maintain such a vehicle (Those With After Market Kits and Customs know what I am talking about).

2. Installing such a kit also sounds beyond you. I strongly suggest that you ask your parents to help you get the SS/SC or Red Line for the simple fact that you are going to do this to your car regardless of weather or not they think it's a good idea, so might as well have a warranty and a Factory Installed Kit..

They will likely be pissed off but they might go for it as well.

Personally, when I got my first car, I had no help from my parents and it was a POS, so I'm not to sympathetic.

P.S. Search, It's Cool.
P.P.S. Welcome to the Forum.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:37 AM

oh, no i have a car right now , its a 95 chevy cavalier w/problems out the ass. not to mention the talon i bought for 1200 that lasted me a whole 4 hours..yeah i'v had my share in shitty cars. i'm trying to start somewhere. My best friend is a mechanic who works on this kinda stuff all the time so installing it and maintaining it shouldnt be that big of a problem. oh and my rents arnt buying this car for me, their co signing on it w/me. They havent put a cent into my cars so yeah dont think i'm some stupid kid who lives off his rents.

lol thanks
Old 07-15-2007, 07:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian MP5T
I'm sorry to say this so bluntly, You will find that I do that where others try to blow sunshine up your ass.

1. You do not sound like the type of person who should own an after market modified car, by that I mean to say that you will not have a warranty to back your up and you definitely lack the mechanical skill to maintain such a vehicle (Those With After Market Kits and Customs know what I am talking about).

2. Installing such a kit also sounds beyond you. I strongly suggest that you ask your parents to help you get the SS/SC or Red Line for the simple fact that you are going to do this to your car regardless of weather or not they think it's a good idea, so might as well have a warranty and a Factory Installed Kit..

They will likely be pissed off but they might go for it as well.

Personally, when I got my first car, I had no help from my parents and it was a POS, so I'm not to sympathetic.

P.S. Search, It's Cool.
P.P.S. Welcome to the Forum.
Sorry but Brian is 100% right.

You should NOT get into a big project like this without having the proper knowledge. Regardless if you have a backup car, I'm sure your parents aren't going to like that your BRAND NEW car is always down because something went wrong or cause you're trying to figure something out.

Realistically, I know you're young and cars are cool and everything (been there done that...I'm 23 now and got into it at 17) but I would be different and learn more about cars than dumping money into your car. Pay off your car quick and then by that time, you'll OWN a vehicle and you can decide on what car you really want to build up and now you'll actually have your own property that's worth something (for that time period).

Be smart about it. It's not worth waiting 5 - 6 years to pay a car off because by time you do pay it off (probably 2-3 years before you do) you won't want the car anymore and the value will be ****.

Just think wisely. Don't dump your money.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:47 AM

oh, no i have a car right now , its a 95 chevy cavalier w/problems out the ass. not to mention the talon i bought for 1200 that lasted me a whole 4 hours..yeah i'v had my share in shitty cars. i'm trying to start somewhere. My best friend is a mechanic who works on this kinda stuff all the time so installing it and maintaining it shouldnt be that big of a problem. oh and my rents arnt buying this car for me, their co signing on it w/me. They havent put a cent into my cars so yeah dont think i'm some stupid kid who lives off his rents.
Anything is possible with time and money.

I have a turbocharger on my weed-whacker just for the **** of it.

However, this **** costs money, so much so that I think you should just go buy an EVO because even if you don't brake your Cobalt with the turbo kit, you will spend more money in the long run.

If you want a "Fast" car, start with a fast car. ( I didn't but that was my goal )

The SS is nowhere to the SS/SC.

If you truly say that your parents are not paying for your car then I do not understand why they will not sign off on whatever loan you want. The SS/SC will be much better in the long run for you.

If you feel that I'm just some idiot troll on the internet, thats fine, watch my Vids and link if you want..

Video

Web-Page
Old 07-15-2007, 07:48 AM

thanks for the advice guys!!!
it really makes a lot of sense!

Old 07-15-2007, 07:50 AM

Good luck Graham. Just be glad you spoke with me and Brian and not some of the other clueless sheep that are on this forum...

Peace 2 U
Old 07-15-2007, 07:54 AM

lol no brian, i dont think ur a troll from the internet, i respect and appreciate ur info.

the thing w/the rents, i'm living on my own right now, and my car is a pos, so they want me 2 have something that wont break down and has a warranty on it..hence a new car. they know that if they sign on a ss/sc i'll have 2 pay insurance and tickets.

i guess right now what i'm thinking is just 2 pay off the ss/na and go from there. adding simple/cheap mods on the way.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:56 AM

Great,

Post up what you finally decide to do here to finish off the thread.

Good luck.

P.S. Feel free to ask any more questions you have. Just because your thread turned into a "Don't Do It"

does not mean that we are all H8TRs here.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:07 AM

damn...after watchin ur video lol i'm amazed. after ur engine blew u pretty much just built a whole new car haha. its crazy, the people have talent like this.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:27 PM

lol no brian, i dont think ur a troll from the internet, i respect and appreciate ur info.

the thing w/the rents, i'm living on my own right now, and my car is a pos, so they want me 2 have something that wont break down and has a warranty on it..hence a new car. they know that if they sign on a ss/sc i'll have 2 pay insurance and tickets.

i guess right now what i'm thinking is just 2 pay off the ss/na and go from there. adding simple/cheap mods on the way.
Just coming from a respect side of things (and also, I am a parent), if I bought my son a brand new car because I want him to have a reliable vehicle and to save him some money, I would be pissed off if I saw him dump a major amount of money into the car. I'd be even more mega pissed off if he did that AND his engine went down.

Not saying you shouldn't modify your car but do subtle changes, nothing major. You CAN modify and still retain your warranty but if a warranty is important to you and you don't want any hassles, touching your car is the last thing you want to do.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by NJHK
Good luck Graham. Just be glad you spoke with me and Brian and not some of the other clueless sheep that are on this forum...

Peace 2 U
Baaa....huh....Baaa....what....Baaa

2.4 is enough performance for a young person...and the idea that your parents aren't paying for your car when they cosign is BS -- they will be responsible for the car if you forget to make a payment. Cosigning is more than putting a name on the financing -- it makes them financially liable and will affect their credit rating.

I agree with most -- you're not in a position to make a major modification to a new car. Your "mechanic friend" is not what you should count on either -- he may not have the skills or simply may just not want to mess with your car after things go wrong.

Good luck on whatever you decide.....
Old 07-15-2007, 02:49 PM
Banned

In all honesty, If you get a 2.4L SS Coupe Manual, simple mods such as intake / header / exhaust(all available at www.tntautosport.com) will put you in the low 15's if not high 14's.

I wouldnt recommend putting that turbo kit on your vehicle until you learn the car first. People who have them extremely fast cars know how to drive them...chances are because theyve learned the vehicle...

Learn what it can and well...cant do.

From a Business Aspect: Buy the Turbo...
From a "friend" standpoint: Buy the Turbo...
From a fellow cobalt owner who knows nothing about you: Hold off for a few months.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:52 PM
Banned

actually get an srt4 sorry what was i thinking
Old 07-15-2007, 02:55 PM

Ive had my car for two years now. First year, No mods, just learned to drive it. Second year, bolt ons, started modding in winter of 06. I have all the basic stuff, and I have been learning how to drive it with more power. Now, I am going to Procharge it, in about 8 months I should be done lol. Moral of my post, take your time and enjoy your car. The 2.4 is a lot of fun, but its not worth getting fast right away and causing problems.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:05 PM

Take it from me. Don't do it.

I don't own a cobalt. But i started with a V6 mustang when I was 18. It was an auto. It was hopeless to even try to mod it, so i put a stereo in it. But then I got the need for speed... the NEXT year, i bought a GT Vert, did all the bolt-ons, and was pushing 13.7@101 at the 1/4 mile.

But the car was pretty much topped out. Nothing left to do besides supercharge it, and hope my stock internals didn't grenade on me...

So I picked up the terminator.

You're talking about either getting a 205hp/200ftlb car WITH a supercharger, or a slow slow MCslow, with either like 170 horse or worse... what's to think about?

You're gonna run into the same issue I had, you're gonna start to mod the 2.2 or 2.4 and you'll get to a point where you've spent a lot of money and some guy with a 2.0 s/c with a stage 2 kit is still blowing your doors off, then you'll kick yourself in the face and say "Why didn't i START with a power adder?"

I haven't even driven a cobalt, but ask anyone who has a car with a factory power adder.... it's worth the hassle.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by TCarter
In all honesty, If you get a 2.4L SS Coupe Manual, simple mods such as intake / header / exhaust(all available at www.tntautosport.com) will put you in the low 15's if not high 14's.

I wouldnt recommend putting that turbo kit on your vehicle until you learn the car first. People who have them extremely fast cars know how to drive them...chances are because theyve learned the vehicle...

Learn what it can and well...cant do.

From a Business Aspect: Buy the Turbo...
From a "friend" standpoint: Buy the Turbo...
From a fellow cobalt owner who knows nothing about you: Hold off for a few months.
Tim...

That makes no sense.

From a business aspect, you shouldn't be recommending that a total noob of a car owner and car knowledge in general should be buying a turbo kit. If a customer calls you asking you questions and they have no clue what a turbo even does, you're still going to sell them this? I know many of other vendors who would turn them down in a heartbeat...example, Scott @ Cobalt Performance Parts. He's literally done that to perspective customers (aka a sale). Regardless if you're a vendor or not, you are supposed to be a car guy looking out for car people.

If you'd suggest your friend spend nearly $4k on a turbo kit and you know better that they shouldn't, you're a shitty friend.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:29 AM
Banned

Adam, from a business stand point...businesses want to make money, hense: buy the kit.

However, as I stated, I wouldnt recommend it for a car noob.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:36 AM

Ok so heres my situation, i'm buying a new car in about 2 weeks. Theres no way in hell i can get my parents to cosign on a ss supercharged, so i'm planning on getting the regular ss 2.4L. Can i add a supercharger or a turbo to it? Or what can i do to add hp the fastest? (sorry i'm not to big into cars, this will be my first nice car and i kinda want it to go fast.)

ok i did a little more lookin around on this site and saw this..http://www.tntautosport.com/index.ph...roducts_id=208
i know, i'v read the replys to it...but my question is, is it for automatic or stickshift?

god i'm so stupid when it comes to cars lol
www.hahnracecraft.com
turbo kit for 2.4 SS. Guarenteed 13s

INFO: http://www.hahnracecraft.com/New_Fol...20Solution.pdf
Old 07-16-2007, 10:37 AM

Tim...

That makes no sense.

From a business aspect, you shouldn't be recommending that a total noob of a car owner and car knowledge in general should be buying a turbo kit. If a customer calls you asking you questions and they have no clue what a turbo even does, you're still going to sell them this? I know many of other vendors who would turn them down in a heartbeat...example, Scott @ Cobalt Performance Parts. He's literally done that to perspective customers (aka a sale). Regardless if you're a vendor or not, you are supposed to be a car guy looking out for car people.

If you'd suggest your friend spend nearly $4k on a turbo kit and you know better that they shouldn't, you're a shitty friend.
dude its business what do u expect, I dont think most business honestly care if the person is a noob as long as they get their money..If they want to spend their money on it so be it.. Our country is goin down hill the price of living is skyrocketing people are gunna do what they have to do.. it sucks but thats what's happening
Old 07-16-2007, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by 2fastforyouraSS
dude its business what do u expect, I dont think most business honestly care if the person is a noob as long as they get their money..If they want to spend their money on it so be it.. Our country is goin down hill the price of living is skyrocketing people are gunna do what they have to do.. it sucks but thats what's happening
You're misunderstanding

I know what car companies do but then we all know what companies SHOULD do.

It's one thing if you list something for someone on your website and someone goes and buys it and another thing if someone asks you for your opinion and you tell them to buy it anyways. It's just taking some responsibility for yourself and pride into your work.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:06 PM

Wow, did this thread ever start to suck or what....
Old 07-16-2007, 04:18 PM

Peace 2 U
BAAAAAaaahhhhGo Fu%# yourself Adam

But he's got a point. You don't sound well versed in car maintenance or sport tuning. your "friend' may talk alot of big game about tuning cars, but I can pretty much guarantee that he would royally screw up your car trying to rig in a turbo kit for you. You would need someone with at least a decade of experience to do that confidentally and correctly.
I think someone else mentioned it already, but if you are restricted to buying either a 2.2l or 2.4l non supercharged cobalt, look seriously into basic power adders like intake, exhaust, manifolds, custom tune, strut brace, lowering springs, weight reduction kits, etc.
It's a good way to start off learning, they are fairly simple mods that just about any shop can do if you're not comfortable doing them, and for the most part they will not void your warranty.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by monkeiboy
BAAAAAaaahhhhGo Fu%# yourself Adam

But he's got a point. You don't sound well versed in car maintenance or sport tuning. your "friend' may talk alot of big game about tuning cars, but I can pretty much guarantee that he would royally screw up your car trying to rig in a turbo kit for you. You would need someone with at least a decade of experience to do that confidentally and correctly.
I think someone else mentioned it already, but if you are restricted to buying either a 2.2l or 2.4l non supercharged cobalt, look seriously into basic power adders like intake, exhaust, manifolds, custom tune, strut brace, lowering springs, weight reduction kits, etc.
It's a good way to start off learning, they are fairly simple mods that just about any shop can do if you're not comfortable doing them, and for the most part they will not void your warranty.
I would **** myself but my **** doesn't stretch that far.

But thank you for agreeing.

Quick Reply: Adding a supercharger/turbo???