2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

Aftermarket MAF Sensor...so what do you think

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket MAF Sensor...so what do you think

I was on the jetchips website looking to see if they have any dyno sheets on their stage one or two chips. Now my car is already tuned by tune time and I was all against a jet chip module because it worked like **** on my neon. But so many people who have gotten it seem to be happy so I figured I'd look into it for my wife's car which has no tuning and doesn't need much cause all she has is a intake and muffler. Didn't find any dyno numbers but I came across this aftermarket air sensor and I was curious if anyone thinks that this is worth a try for my car.

Powr-Flo Mass Air Sensor
Part #: 69143

The JET Powr-Flo Mass Air Sensor delivers improved horsepower, torque and mileage from your car, truck or SUV by simply replacing the restrictive stock mass air sensor. The factory sensor not only is a major restrictive point in stock intake systems, but it also limits the full potential of aftermarket cold air intake systems. The flow bench tested design of the JET Mass Air Sensor provides airflow increases of up to 45% and installs in 10 minutes or less. Compatible with other aftermarket upgrades such as computer upgrades, cold air intakes, TBI spacers, free flow exhaust systems, etc.

Now please don't attack me cause I was one of the first ones to say that jet modules are a piece of crap. I don't even know if this would be helpful considering that I already have a tune. But that's why I'm asking because I don't know and I tried searching for a thread on this and could find anything. Besides the other thing that has me thinking about it is that I found this thread on a traction control problem,
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...action+control
and I have had this exact same problem for as far back as I can remember. Now if they think that the cause might be the MAF I figured that maybe buying this thing even if it doesn't give me more power might at least keep me from having my traction control light kick on. Best price that I could find on it was in the 130's, at that price I figured it might be worth a try and if it's not helpful for me maybe I can stick in my wife's car. So does any one have any thoughts?
Old 06-14-2008, 11:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no you shouldnt need a maf sensor...unless your making some serious power flowing a **** ton of air and maxing out the maf tables then you dont need it...the one you have now will workjust fine
Old 06-14-2008, 02:56 PM

Haha, how is the factory piece restrictive?
Old 06-14-2008, 06:24 PM

does any one else have an oppinion just want to make sure everyone agrees, because I'll admit at only $135 I'm kinda tempted to try it(even tho my common sense is telling me don't bother)
thanks for the input Mike
(I guess I just need a few more people to say that it is a waste of money to help steer me in the right direction,lol) anyways all input would be greatly appreciated
Old 06-14-2008, 06:56 PM
Doc

People have changed the MAF sensor, fairly easy thing to do. If you change the piping size, to say 3.5" or bigger, changing it will help not being maxed out.
An LS1 MAF will work, a few have done this.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would think that your tune would be better then this MAF sensor. Are you not happy with your tune or just looking for anything to make more power?
Old 06-14-2008, 10:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doc
People have changed the MAF sensor, fairly easy thing to do. If you change the piping size, to say 3.5" or bigger, changing it will help not being maxed out.
An LS1 MAF will work, a few have done this.
right you are..piping is what i meant
Old 06-15-2008, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Red07SSNA
I would think that your tune would be better then this MAF sensor. Are you not happy with your tune or just looking for anything to make more power?
no my tune is great. I'm just wondering if this might offer any additional gain even if it is a small one. At only 135 even a little gain might be worth it and if not I figure it might help my wife's car which is untuned and has an intake.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:46 AM

That seriously sounds like a bunch of bullshit. Read the first sentence. Replace that restrictive sensor? Restrictive? As if you have a soccer ball stuck in your intake or something.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:04 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
You wanna do this on a 2.4L?

Haha, at first I thought you were talking about on an LSJ. Haha, a 2.4L will more than likely NOT benefit much at all from an upgraded MAF. You guys aren't anywhere close to pushing that stock MAF to its limits.

Originally Posted by lewisb13
That seriously sounds like a bunch of bullshit. Read the first sentence. Replace that restrictive sensor? Restrictive? As if you have a soccer ball stuck in your intake or something.
A lot of other OEM MAF's are very restrictive... ours is not. The company that makes the MAF is probably offering in general as an upgrade... not just to Cobalt's/G5's/Ion's.

Last edited by USMCFieldMP; 06-15-2008 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-15-2008, 01:35 PM

Yeah they make them for many other models. I know our maf sensor is not restrictive. In fact in our case, I believe that what they sell is the same oem sensor they just reflash it. I'm not sure how helpful that is, especially considering that my car is tuned. Just wondering if someone who knows about tuning could tell me if having a tune defeats the purpose of getting a reprogrammed maf sensor. And if so is it maybe worth a try on an untuned cobalt ss with an intake like my wife's car. I was checking reviews of people who had purchased them before for other models. There was a few who said that it didn't do much. And there was a whole bunch that said that it worked great. One person claimed that there quater mile time went down three tenths. But none of these people owned cobalts.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by davekicksyourass
does any one else have an oppinion just want to make sure everyone agrees, because I'll admit at only $135 I'm kinda tempted to try it(even tho my common sense is telling me don't bother)
thanks for the input Mike
(I guess I just need a few more people to say that it is a waste of money to help steer me in the right direction,lol) anyways all input would be greatly appreciated
Do it. post your results.

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP

Haha, at first I thought you were talking about on an LSJ. Haha, a 2.4L will more than likely NOT benefit much at all from an upgraded MAF. You guys aren't anywhere close to pushing that stock MAF to its limits.
factory forced induction is obviously the only way to be boosted, right? </end_my_car_is_better_than_yours_conversation>

Last edited by bigworm; 06-17-2008 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-21-2008, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP

We're not?

I peg mine @ 1/2 throttle.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:43 PM
Doc

Originally Posted by Turbo06Sedan
We're not?

I peg mine @ 1/2 throttle.
You flow more air than a LOT of ss/sc owners
You're still slow
Old 06-21-2008, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Doc
You flow more air than a LOT of ss/sc owners
You're still slow
Oh Doc...You know, ive been on these forums for a few years now (since 06)(obviously under a different name)...to know that you 2.0 guys rag on us 2.4 guys...saying we're not real SS's...blah.

Its just nice for me to finally turn the tables and rag on you guys
Old 06-21-2008, 07:42 PM
Doc

Originally Posted by Turbo06Sedan
Oh Doc...You know, ive been on these forums for a few years now (since 06)(obviously under a different name)...to know that you 2.0 guys rag on us 2.4 guys...saying we're not real SS's...blah.

Its just nice for me to finally turn the tables and rag on you guys
No need to rag on the newbs
It is fun though....huh..?
I can guarantee you flow more air then I do....but you're still slower that is, until you figure out the sweet spot with the fuel/spark/air
Old 06-22-2008, 12:05 AM

would the Jet MAF have a different amount of resistants making the computer think that the outside air is colder than it actually is making the engine increase the timing the compensate for the colder air temperature, causes the computer to use a richer fuel table, changing the air fuel ratio and producing more power because the computer thinks the outside air is cooler than it actually is...

Just a thought???

checkout this link: http://www.autoanything.com/air-inta...A1951A0A0.aspx

Last edited by Chuck; 06-22-2008 at 12:41 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck
would the Jet MAF have a different amount of resistants making the computer think that the outside air is colder than it actually is making the engine increase the timing the compensate for the colder air temperature, causes the computer to use a richer fuel table, changing the air fuel ratio and producing more power because the computer thinks the outside air is cooler than it actually is...

Just a thought???
Good question. When they say "restrictive", It seems they are not referring to the "physical" size of the sensor (which some have mentioned), but instead sending different signals to the computer, and it adjusting accordingly...more aggressive etc.