2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

Bucking or Cutting Out or Both

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 01:02 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Did you figure out where the air was going on the leak down? Crank-case, valve cover, intake side or exhaust side?
Old 08-01-2017, 05:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ECaulk
Did you figure out where the air was going on the leak down? Crank-case, valve cover, intake side or exhaust side?
That's what made my test inconclusive as it sounded like the air was coming right out of the same hole I had the hose in. And that was for every cylinder. So, going to give it a go again, except this time I'm going to remove the camshafts all together. As far as why it sounded like the air was coming out of the spark plug hole with the hose in it? I dunno, I oiled the o-ring on the leakdown hose, then greased it and still no conclusive results. Maybe a bigger o-ring is required. So ill let everyone know what happens with that.

But how do you explain after doing a leakdown that I have no misfires anymore?
Old 08-05-2017, 07:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Leaking Valve and Bad Head gasket

Alright, I did the leak down test and I removed the cams this time. What I've found just pisses me off to no end.
The intake valve on cylinder one is leaking bad! This is after taking it to a head shop and getting everything installed. Obviously, he didn't do a great job. Putting 90 psi in cylinder 1 and I was only getting 15 psi, the rest was going out the intake valve.
The rest of the cylinders progressively got better, and mainly cylinders 1, 2, 3 had leaking and as stated, they progressively got better in holding pressure, with no noticeable leaking, which points to >drumroll< bad head gasket!!! I just didn't set it right or something. And I also didn't use the copper gasket sealer like Slowbalt2000 used on his build.

So its just going to be what it is until November and ill purchase a brand new engine. Which please see my thread about the LE5 Kappa to help shed some light.

Thank you guys a million for helping me out with this issue. I cant thank you enough and I appreciate everybody for taking your time to put some info out.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:31 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Glad you found the issue! Sorry that's what it turned out to be though. That sucks man!
Old 09-29-2017, 03:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could it be that the valves are not sealing properly in those two cylinders and so it's misfiring?
Old 09-29-2017, 04:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry didn't realise I wasn't at the end of the post till after I posted that lol