2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

LE5 Kappa

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 07:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
LE5 Kappa

What's up everybody?

So I am going to just buy a long block LE5 brand spanking new. What I have found is what goes in the Solstice from performance AutoWerks.
I feel dumb asking this question, but I am not finding any specific posts about the LE5 in the Solstice bolting in to the Cobalt.
Question is, is this a fairly direct swap?
Do I need a different harness for anything on the LE5 Kappa that isn't on the Cobalt LE5?
Lastly, is performance AutoWerks a reputable place? They seem legit but want a consensus. Never can be too careful.
Thanks for your time.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:15 AM

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Why buy a new long block? Sounds like the most expensive solution to whatever you're trying to fix.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:26 AM

Received 89 Likes on 82 Posts
I'll agree with cluelessk, the brand new long block route isn't cheap. What exactly is your issue that you are searching for an engine?

Also, PWerks is a reputable company. Had my tuning done by them.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:43 PM

Well the main reason is, I'm sick and tired of taking time off work, putting my family on the back burner, and re-doing things over and over. So time is a big factor. But also, performance AutoWerks has everything forged and crank is balanced. Everything is pricey but really if I factor time, money, and head aches in, it REALLY isn't that bad imho.
So is the LE5 Kappa direct swap in to the Cobalt?
I totally understand your guys' points though.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:44 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Are you boosted? If you're not then just find a junkyard LE5 to drop in.

As far as bolting up check out what transmission the Kappas use or ask Pwerks if it will fit correctly.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:09 PM

Yeah I'm boosted man. I'm seeing if this will just bolt up to the f23 tranny and what (if any) else needs to adapt on the harness. Ill ask PWerks then
Old 08-07-2017, 09:54 AM

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
Did you try using car-part.com? That can show you all the compatible models based on searching for your specific car and driveline, then it gives you engines available and what they came out of. For the most part is should be accurate to use as a cross-reference. The assumption is you change over all the details that make the engine specific to a platform, something like the engine-trans bolt pattern should be common across the board.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by steelmesh
Did you try using car-part.com? That can show you all the compatible models based on searching for your specific car and driveline, then it gives you engines available and what they came out of. For the most part is should be accurate to use as a cross-reference. The assumption is you change over all the details that make the engine specific to a platform, something like the engine-trans bolt pattern should be common across the board.
Thanks steel, i have bookmarked that site for future reference.

But in case anybody ever wonders if the LE5 Kappa complete engine that performance AutoWerks sells, it bolts right up no problem. You just let them know what year etc. But yes, it is a direct swap according to Gary from PAW.

This will be my purchase come November.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:57 PM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Originally Posted by Cobalt_noob
Thanks steel, i have bookmarked that site for future reference.

But in case anybody ever wonders if the LE5 Kappa complete engine that performance AutoWerks sells, it bolts right up no problem. You just let them know what year etc. But yes, it is a direct swap according to Gary from PAW.

This will be my purchase come November.
Is it a stock like engine or built up to handle boost?
Old 08-12-2017, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1
Is it a stock like engine or built up to handle boost?
Here is the link:

WERKSracing Forged LE5 Long Block Assembly, Performance Autowerks

Yes, there is forged internals and you have a few selections to choose from as far as what else you would like done. ^Have a quick look

Last edited by Cobalt_noob; 08-12-2017 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Subtraction
Old 09-29-2017, 04:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man if I were you I would just go to LKQ's website and look for an 06 le5 they can be had with under 100k miles for like a grand. I swapped one into my 08 and have had no issues other than two bad crank sensors ruining my life for a month or so. But from what I understand and have seen first hand all le5's <externally> are the same so if you MUST get one out of a solstice it should bolt up to that f23 just fine, someone correct me if im wrong.