2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

Cold air Intake & Washing the car

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold air Intake & Washing the car

Just a question for you folks. I should be getting my Injen CAI today. I know it goes under the passengers side headlight. What I wanted to know is...

A)Going into a Automated car wash. When you do the underbody wash, will the water reach the Filter and create a Hydrolock?

B)Washing the front of the car, can any of the water sneak down under the hood or the where the headlight meets the bumper and land on the CAI?

Just wanted to get this out of the way before I go at it.

Thanks.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:30 PM

I did an install this weekend with an AEM CAI on my 2.4l. I've got pictures and plan on doing a how to thread WITH pics.
The compartment that the old resonator/ new CAI filter sits in is pretty well sealed off from the elements. The only opening with a DIRECT line of sight to where the filter will sit is from behind underneath the carriage. An automated car wash wouldn't spray on there unless it has a pretty aggressive underbody sprayer.
The light is seated pretty well, water doesn't get back there normally unless you've made some rightoeus adjustments.
The air pretty much has to channel around the side of the radiator to get to the filter. It may get damp in REALLY wet/foggy weather, but not soaked.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my aem was soaked on my jbp intake through a car wash....the filter blows, a light rain drizzle caused me to surge, i got rid of the filter and intake and bought the injen and have been fine ever since.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:35 PM
Banned

maybe alittle

first of all i never take my car through auto wash. only by hand washings. and since the injen is not enclosed like the gm is alittle. no water gets in my intake cuz the rubber seal hits on this small opening on the side of the hood that leads to the gap in hood and fender. no water comes up from the bottom either. but in your case the injen isnt like gm intake. it might get some water up there on the filter from under the front part of the engine by the belts and stuff. and if your going to auto wash your car. dont waste the money. save the 7 or 10 bucks and wash it by hand its less money to wash it buy hand. if you have all supplies. see you later.

if you need help with any car care washing products let me know...

ryan.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:47 PM

Well I also ordered a AEM dryflow filter.
I was going to order a Injen filter thingamajig that covers it. I was worried it would impact performance though.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Coors
Well I also ordered a AEM dryflow filter.
I was going to order a Injen filter thingamajig that covers it. I was worried it would impact performance though.
Just do what the last guy said. I always handwash mine anyway. I am TRULY not worrid about my dryflow filter gettign wet in there unless I decide to drive through a river during a torrential monsoon.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:49 PM

when i had my 2.2 ls cobalt i had an injen cai.... the under carraige box in the filter... and u wont get water in the box'd in area unless u stick the hose in the hole...
Old 04-02-2007, 02:56 PM

Just for peace of mind guys. What AEM Bypass valve would I need for my Injen CAI.
3"?
Old 04-02-2007, 03:13 PM

I have the Injen.. I occationaly go through the auto wash cuz the one near my house is touchless and awsome.. and even there hand was bays have an underbody wash... I've Never had a problem.. I also open my hood and wash the engine whenever I wand wash... still no problem... I've never climbed uunder and undid the fender to look.. but never had a proble.... *yet*
Old 04-02-2007, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by FuzzzMan
I have the Injen.. I occationaly go through the auto wash cuz the one near my house is touchless and awsome.. and even there hand was bays have an underbody wash... I've Never had a problem.. I also open my hood and wash the engine whenever I wand wash... still no problem... I've never climbed uunder and undid the fender to look.. but never had a proble.... *yet*
Even my ram air system is totally unaffected by the car wash blowing directly down it. Doesn't seem to mind in the least.

As for washing only by hand, I find it almost impossible to clean off all the Magnesium Chloride they use here in Colorado to melt ice and snow. That stuff is terrible, and the bottom wash at a really good car wash goes a long way toward getting rid of it.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by LewiSS
Even my ram air system is totally unaffected by the car wash blowing directly down it. Doesn't seem to mind in the least.

As for washing only by hand, I find it almost impossible to clean off all the Magnesium Chloride they use here in Colorado to melt ice and snow. That stuff is terrible, and the bottom wash at a really good car wash goes a long way toward getting rid of it.
Wow, I was envy when I heard you guys are using it. They still use salt N sand up here.

Anyone know what size the AEM Bypass valve I need for the Injen CAI for the 2.4?

Last edited by Coors; 04-02-2007 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-02-2007, 06:06 PM

Wow, I was envy when I heard you guys are using it. They still use salt N sand up here.
I wish. Mag chloride eats aluminum much worse than salt. Maybe the body doesn't suffer as bad, but my wheels and fuel filler door are really spotted with corrosion. Plus the stuff gets on glass and is almost impossible to get off with the wipers and washer fluid. I've put in expensive Rain-X fluid which helps JUST a little.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:31 PM

Anyone know what size the AEM Bypass valve I need for the Injen CAI for the 2.4?
The injen uses a 3" pipe.

I live near New Orleans - where it rains heavy and often.

I only had problems with water one time (maf contamination due to water on the filter) while drag racing in the rain at No Problem Raceway. I just sprayed the MAF clean with brake cleaner and it was fine.

I don't believe that the bypass valve is at all neccessary unless you plan on submerging the front of your car. Plus, it will cost you 1-2hp - about the same as using your injen as an SRI. Before I went with an AEM bypass, i would just run as an SRI setup and get a little better throttle response. IMHO.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Not a Sebring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hand washing all the way! Automated car washes not only suck, but I know from past experiences that sometimes they're over-powerful and will blow the vinyls (like our CobaltSS.net vinyls) right off our cars! I've only been through an automated car wash once (a touch free one at that....."laserwash"......pfff.....right), and I had no problems with my AEM.

On the contrary, i've never had any problems with my AEM dryflow filter. Works like a charm, and I love the no oil needed aspect of it. I've had friends who've used oiled filters on their cars only to mess up their MAF sensor. (happened to my roomated's 06 STi, via an HKS mega-flow). I'll remain one of the few supporting AEM using 2.4 owners!
Old 04-02-2007, 07:42 PM

Okay, I just received my Injen.
I see the Polished TB part, and the two POLISHED "Pipes". I see how it's a CAI, but how does it convert to a SR.

Oh and thanks for all your help, I really do appreciate it.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:40 AM
Banned

different pipes

there should be 2 stainless pipes of different lengths one bent to fit down in the car. the other pipe should be bent enough to go from throttle body over to were stock airbox is. and theres rubber bushings and clamps. let me know if you have questions.

ryan.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteSSBalt
Hand washing all the way! Automated car washes not only suck, but I know from past experiences that sometimes they're over-powerful and will blow the vinyls (like our CobaltSS.net vinyls) right off our cars! I've only been through an automated car wash once (a touch free one at that....."laserwash"......pfff.....right), and I had no problems with my AEM.

On the contrary, i've never had any problems with my AEM dryflow filter. Works like a charm, and I love the no oil needed aspect of it. I've had friends who've used oiled filters on their cars only to mess up their MAF sensor. (happened to my roomated's 06 STi, via an HKS mega-flow). I'll remain one of the few supporting AEM using 2.4 owners!
I put an AEM on my this weekend. My girlfriend caught me modding my car and was less than thrilled. Needless to say I drove EVERYWHERE this weekend. Probably around 150 miles of stop and go, freeway. and idling in traffic. No CELs yet.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:06 PM

heres mine in short ram coors,

Old 04-04-2007, 02:21 PM
Banned

right under that

right under that filter it goes right to the ground but its got a metal plate in the way alittle but water can hit the filter easily. just wash it by hand

ryan.