2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

ESC not 100% off?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 05:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And that's not stability control. That's torque management in an attempt to keep traction. Also for the cars that don't have a mechanical limited slip differential when the traction control system is off the ABS controller still uses the brakes to bias torque and limit spin in the name of traction you otherwise wouldn't have with an open diff.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blackbird
And that's not stability control. That's torque management in an attempt to keep traction. Also for the cars that don't have a mechanical limited slip differential when the traction control system is off the ABS controller still uses the brakes to bias torque and limit spin in the name of traction you otherwise wouldn't have with an open diff.
yeah thats been said before... however... it will spin until it cant anymore as long as the wheel is straight ahead.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:21 AM

it sounds like they designed the system for drad racing only...not twistys
Old 12-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CordiaDOHC
No. with TC and ESC switched off you can be more aggressive but any turning of the steering wheel seems to cut power especially if theres any wheel spin. If the wheel(s) start to spin and the steering wheel is turned even slightly then it seems to cut power down to almost what id describe as 10% and its left me in a bad spot many times as I was planning on using full power to get out of the situation.
I don't know I don't have this issue unless I don't push my car hard enough. All I know is I took a turn with ESC on and almost crashed into parked cars, did it again with it off, and I had the skidding motion that I needed, to not crash into the parked cars.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:41 PM

"Might be good to mount a camera in the car to catch what it is doing. More than likely the regional rep probably just thinks you're pushing the car too hard on public roads. Maybe there is a chance you are but you don't realize it, then again maybe there is a problem with the lateral accelerometer, yaw rate, or steering angle sensor. At least having some video to show when and under what conditions it is occurring might help your case."[/QUOTE]

that is a great idea.... i was able to get the lead mechanic at the dealer to go for a ride over the mountain and he said that it could be caused by my driving, but in his opinion it shouldnt be like that. now i just have to find a way to mount the camera!....lately its been driving me nuts, it has been even more sporatic and unpredictable. i go throught the same set of turns day in and day out, one day i can go throught the corner at 75mph and the next at 60mph. and the dang thing will kick at the 60mph mark. for about a month there it didnt come on at all. even when we had snow and ice on the summit, it never kicked in.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:18 PM

I also own a 08 sport and have taken it to several Auto-x's. In my experience if you turn off the ESC there is no cutting of power. The way you describe it if your turning and using the throttle you feel a loss in thrust, especially with wheel spin. The sports all have open diff's, if you have wheel spin you don't have much forward thrust at all because all of your power is going out that spinning tire. The cobalts don't have any torque management system that uses the brakes as a type of LSD. If it did gm would advertise the crap out of it. The calibers SRT-4's do, and they refer to it as a brake lock differential, but thats another story. It seems the best solution is to become better at applying throttle at corner exit to not get wheel spin, or if you are getting wheel spin lift slightly so you gain traction and then throttle back into it. Driver mod FTW.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by xxsportscar
I also own a 08 sport and have taken it to several Auto-x's. In my experience if you turn off the ESC there is no cutting of power. The way you describe it if your turning and using the throttle you feel a loss in thrust, especially with wheel spin. The sports all have open diff's, if you have wheel spin you don't have much forward thrust at all because all of your power is going out that spinning tire. The cobalts don't have any torque management system that uses the brakes as a type of LSD. If it did gm would advertise the crap out of it. The calibers SRT-4's do, and they refer to it as a brake lock differential, but thats another story. It seems the best solution is to become better at applying throttle at corner exit to not get wheel spin, or if you are getting wheel spin lift slightly so you gain traction and then throttle back into it. Driver mod FTW.
You didnt read what I wrote did you? You can actually feel the computer cutting power. You can bury the throttle but it wont do much more than maybe 2000 rpms till it decides to kick back in. Its not an unloading open diff that would quickly ramp up the rpms.

Also a lot of the GM autos have Torque management but not in the way your thinking.

Reading Comprehension FTW
Old 12-29-2009, 03:03 PM

thats what i thought at first, but after talking with the guys at the dealer and reading about the stabilitrac, apparently it does apply the brakes to the wheels in a corrective manner to try and straighten the vehicle out. but mine cuts the power completely to the engine and hits the brakes. believe me when i say its not the tires slipping, and it usually happens in the middle of a turn, not when i am exiting. in fact letting off or giving it WOT has no effect when the ESC kicks in. ive tried to down shift, upshift, let off completely. all i can do is steer and hold on until the computer decides to let go. quite nerve racking when your going through the twisties, up and down the mountain. i know i can turn it off... but why should i have to remember to turn off a supposed safety feature evry time i get into my car... why cant it just work!!
Old 12-29-2009, 03:44 PM

must be an Auto thing, im a 5 spd
Old 12-29-2009, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by xxsportscar
must be an Auto thing, im a 5 spd
yes, it is an Auto thing, which is why no SS/SC or TC has ever had the issue
this effects SS/NA and LS/LT automatic models
Old 12-29-2009, 08:20 PM

I'm a manual... no autos here. 08' 2.4 sport 5-spd.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2009 G5 2.2 auto....throttle control never turns off for me

"L" and ebrake up doesnt do anything....it will just throttle the rpms up and down...kinda sucky
Old 12-30-2009, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by nhanson
2009 G5 2.2 auto....throttle control never turns off for me

"L" and ebrake up doesnt do anything....it will just throttle the rpms up and down...kinda sucky
if you have a base model, then putting you car in L does nothing except lock the car into 1st and 2nd gear while changing your shift point

if you have a higher model (like a cobalt LT) then putting the car in L disabled the Traction Control

Originally Posted by JcNacho
I'm a manual... no autos here. 08' 2.4 sport 5-spd.
then you wouldn't know what we're talking about, unless you've driven a cobalt auto in the snow

Last edited by shawn672; 12-30-2009 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-30-2009, 06:57 PM

"then you wouldn't know what we're talking about, unless you've driven a cobalt auto in the snow[/QUOTE]"

Strange...... i was replying based on the fact that i have the same issue with the ESC cutting the power to my engine while driving through the mountains. I must be imagining since i have a 5 spd. my bad!! Any ideas why a manual would cut power to the engine then. sometimes it will cut the power and slow me down from 60mph to around 40mph before it gives the power back.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:38 AM

Actually caught it on video by pure mistake.... Rather annoying.

Going to get tuned by trifecta in the next month and a half and see if that fixes it...
Old 01-23-2010, 02:18 PM

yea man that looks like it, its really weird when you can press the gas pedal all the way to the floor and nothing happens
Old 01-23-2010, 02:35 PM

That sucks. Glad I don't have traction control or abs. Driver mod FTW!
Old 01-23-2010, 02:56 PM

Yeah its highly irritating. I prefer to usually drive with them off. But this does make me miss my older cars that felt more connected to the road than these cars do.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by CordiaDOHC
Yeah its highly irritating. I prefer to usually drive with them off. But this does make me miss my older cars that felt more connected to the road than these cars do.
Computers FTL
Old 01-23-2010, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by JL-KA
That sucks. Glad I don't have traction control or abs. Driver mod FTW!
yea its somehow built into the traction control, as my 09 LS does not have anything (cept AC) and this has not happened to me yet, but if i drive my 07 LT it happens about once every two weeks