2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

JBP VVT LE5 Camshafts

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't wait for a couple of more days for the results!!!! I know I'll freeze myself for a day.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:12 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 271 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by Dragonsfire12345
I can't wait for a couple of more days for the results!!!! I know I'll freeze myself for a day.
It's likely even harder to wait, for Mike
Old 11-13-2006, 07:14 PM

yeah how long have you not had your car now mike?
Old 11-13-2006, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by dcsdillpickle
too long! no thanks to my buddy, just this week and good to go
Old 11-13-2006, 07:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
jeeze, I don't even have a 2.4 and I'm anxious to see the outcome!!! lol
Old 11-13-2006, 07:37 PM

yeah if i was a part of this site earlier i would have jumped at the opportunity for sure
Old 11-13-2006, 08:26 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Mike is a rookie at waiting. At only about 3 weeks he has a long way to go to catch up to me.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by victory_red_SS
Mike is a rookie at waiting. At only about 3 weeks he has a long way to go to catch up to me.
Its not my waiting that is hard to swollow,but the wait is tough to take cause I know Mev and you guys are anxious for this
Old 11-13-2006, 08:45 PM

im curious, but im just as curious with just installing the cams alone, what gains would be expected, if i knew the grind i have desktop dyno, could kind of come up with an idea
Old 11-13-2006, 08:57 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

im curious, but im just as curious with just installing the cams alone, what gains would be expected, if i knew the grind i have desktop dyno, could kind of come up with an idea
the grind specs aren't released and likely won't be for a lonnnnnggggggg time.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:10 PM

nothing concrete yet,but 25whp is expected,dont quote me though
Old 11-13-2006, 09:30 PM

yeah patience will be the factor here
Old 11-13-2006, 09:34 PM

lmao its pretty funny....this exact same situation is going on over at the 4.0 collective forums with two of our members. one just put on ported and polished heads with new cams onto his already 360rwhp procharged monster (stock internals!) so we are waiting for dyno #'s on that, and one of the others are putting the heads from the same company on his n/a with a few bolt ons. the suspense is rediculous because these are the first heads and cams and many of us have our cash ready and waiting! good luck with everything, i hope you see that 25whp gain, that'd be nice!
Old 11-14-2006, 08:00 PM

so with the grind the computer can tell you all that? crazy,
Old 11-15-2006, 12:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by UpOnGaMe
so with the grind the computer can tell you all that? crazy,

The computer dyno programs available are not perfect but can give you a good idea how a cam grind may do. I used one with my last race car and it was eerily close to the actual 1/4 mile time (but way off on the MPH). I used it on a Ford (I know, 4-letter word) 351C I shoe-horned into an 86 Mustang and it did 8.4 sec in the 1/8th mile with 3.23:1 gears -- the desk top dyno said it would do it in 9.0 secs. It also helped when I built engines for people because they would always want a bigger cam but I could show them that they would not make the horsepower/torques they wanted because their cars were not going to be set up to take advantage of the bigger cam usually because of their final ratio gear. That's why it is imperative to know what the specs are before you put it into your car -- I've installed "performance" cams that ran slower on the track then the stock cam -- talk about being unhappy after wasting all the time it took to put it in!
Old 11-15-2006, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Cobalter LS
The computer dyno programs available are not perfect but can give you a good idea how a cam grind may do. I used one with my last race car and it was eerily close to the actual 1/4 mile time (but way off on the MPH). I used it on a Ford (I know, 4-letter word) 351C I shoe-horned into an 86 Mustang and it did 8.4 sec in the 1/8th mile with 3.23:1 gears -- the desk top dyno said it would do it in 9.0 secs. It also helped when I built engines for people because they would always want a bigger cam but I could show them that they would not make the horsepower/torques they wanted because their cars were not going to be set up to take advantage of the bigger cam usually because of their final ratio gear. That's why it is imperative to know what the specs are before you put it into your car -- I've installed "performance" cams that ran slower on the track then the stock cam -- talk about being unhappy after wasting all the time it took to put it in!
Nice to know we have people here that know there goodies Well others with the 2.0 have installed the JBP cams and they were not even the tri-flows either,so if it worked well for them, Im expecting no less
Old 11-15-2006, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by g5mike
Nice to know we have people here that know there goodies Well others with the 2.0 have installed the JBP cams and they were not even the tri-flows either,so if it worked well for them, Im expecting no less

I can understand why JBP doesn't want to divulge their specs. I would prefer to know before installing them though...However, while most people on this site seem to want to see dyno results, I prefer to see the times at the track. When your car actually runs quicker at the same track after all you've been through that is real proof that the cam is better.

After all you've been through I hope your car kicks butt!
Old 11-15-2006, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Cobalter LS
I can understand why JBP doesn't want to divulge their specs. I would prefer to know before installing them though...However, while most people on this site seem to want to see dyno results, I prefer to see the times at the track. When your car actually runs quicker at the same track after all you've been through that is real proof that the cam is better.

After all you've been through I hope your car kicks butt!

If the competition wants to copy a cam, all they have to do is buy it and spec it out.

Divulging lift, duration and lobe centers just gives an indication of the cams suitability for a certain application. You need to know the lobe profile to actually copy a cam. It's the area under the curve that determines how much fuel/air gets in and out of the engine. One cam may have a very narrow lobe width, like the pointy end of an egg, while another has a wider profile, like the fat end of an egg. They may publish identical lift and duration, but your engine will run completely differently because the acceleration and deceleration ramps are different.

I would not purchase a cam without knowing its lift and duration. Knowing this would not enable you to copy their cam. It would be like buying pistons without knowing the compression ratio or how much valve clearance there is.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by sushidog
If the competition wants to copy a cam, all they have to do is buy it and spec it out.

Divulging lift, duration and lobe centers just gives an indication of the cams suitability for a certain application. You need to know the lobe profile to actually copy a cam. It's the area under the curve that determines how much fuel/air gets in and out of the engine. One cam may have a very narrow lobe width, like the pointy end of an egg, while another has a wider profile, like the fat end of an egg. They may publish identical lift and duration, but your engine will run completely differently because the acceleration and deceleration ramps are different.

I would not purchase a cam without knowing its lift and duration. Knowing this would not enable you to copy their cam. It would be like buying pistons without knowing the compression ratio or how much valve clearance there is.
Agreed!
But these JPB cams are basically still under testing so JPB probably wants to hold on to their specs until they can prove (or disprove) the performance potential. At least that would give them the edge on initial sales....
Old 11-15-2006, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sushidog

Holy crap thats an awesome post! I agree 110% with ya bud! I'm not knocking JBP or Mike at all but I'm with you, I ain't putting nothing into my engine unless I know exactly what it is. I've built way too many engines and cars to know guessing is never good.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:50 AM

all 4 of you should be working for NASA, but i would like to what his "new age" machine tells...........
Old 11-17-2006, 06:13 PM

its the end of the week good sir did ya get your car back from the shop?
Old 11-19-2006, 07:25 PM

hey g5Mike did ya get your car back? If you did are you having lots of fun driving around?
Old 11-19-2006, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dragonsfire12345
hey g5Mike did ya get your car back? If you did are you having lots of fun driving around?
Mev sent out the valves, they are putting them in tomorro or tuesday,so the long overdue wait should be comming to an end by mid-week
Old 11-19-2006, 09:31 PM

think you will have to start a new post when that happens because this will be flooded more then it allready is

Quick Reply: JBP VVT LE5 Camshafts