2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

K&N Typhoon SRI

Old 12-01-2016, 01:24 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
K&N Typhoon SRI

Hey guys,
So when I bought the car last year, it came with a Typhoon. Sounds nice on the throttle, but are there any benefits that K&N claim true as far as HP goes, or would it be better off just putting the stock air box back on (which the seller also included)? I've heard testimonials both negative and positive about these things, (MPG gains/losses, HP gains/losses, and filtration) so I wanted to know what you guys think.
Thanks,
Jason
Old 12-01-2016, 01:57 PM

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by WICobaltSS
Hey guys,
So when I bought the car last year, it came with a Typhoon. Sounds nice on the throttle, but are there any benefits that K&N claim true as far as HP goes, or would it be better off just putting the stock air box back on (which the seller also included)? I've heard testimonials both negative and positive about these things, (MPG gains/losses, HP gains/losses, and filtration) so I wanted to know what you guys think.
Thanks,
Jason
Without a tune you won't notice a difference. Even with a tune you won't see much difference being N/A. Fuel trims are probably off too.

I'd switch back to stock and run an OEM filter. No need to worry about cleaning and oiling like the K&N.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I think your best bet would be to go through a few tanks of gas with it on, fill up with X gallons and reset the trip odometer to get your average mpg. And then go through a few tanks with the stock setup on. See which one gets the better mpg.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by FLASH1970
I think your best bet would be to go through a few tanks of gas with it on, fill up with X gallons and reset the trip odometer to get your average mpg. And then go through a few tanks with the stock setup on. See which one gets the better mpg.
No. Not really. Mpg isn't the only variable.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:10 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I agree. but the first thing he listed he wanted info on was mpg. only one way to find that out. And the hp gains aren't really going to be noticed if there are any I think. the filtering... well, I think the k&n flows more air but doesn't filter as much in my opinion.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:20 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm always figuring MPG at each fill up and I get about 21 to 24 MPG city/highway mix. I will throw the stock one on this weekend and see if it improves MPG. Being that it's N/A I'm not to concerned about H/P gains as I am with mileage. It's still a fun car to drive tho. Not as fun as a SC/TC, but I like it...
Old 12-02-2016, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by WICobaltSS
Thanks guys. I'm always figuring MPG at each fill up and I get about 21 to 24 MPG city/highway mix. I will throw the stock one on this weekend and see if it improves MPG. Being that it's N/A I'm not to concerned about H/P gains as I am with mileage. It's still a fun car to drive tho. Not as fun as a SC/TC, but I like it...
"A couple tanks of gas" is not a proper test. There's way too many variables. Weather, traffic city/highway, temperature, humidity.

Go back to stock. If you don't want the performance increase. Oil fillers suck to maintain.

Search this Thread