2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

LE5 Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2022, 07:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LE5 Build

Hello

Having owned 2 LNFs now in the past 2 years, I have decided to go a different route.

My silver balt which was a EFR6758 tuned on pump gas stock motor and trans. 400WHP. Sold

My Black Balt, also stock motor and trans but equipped with the bigger EFR brother, 7163.
E-47 tune on 30PSI about 500WHP/400WTQ. Also recently sold.

The LE5 appeals to me for the extra displacement and also sharing VVT like the LNF. Main drawback being a cast crank, though like 500hp~ capable.

I’m intending on a doing a fully built LE5 with stock crank for breaking the setup in.
But eventually swapping in a forged crank from Marine Crankshafts for about a 2500 dollar quote. Since I will want to have head room later down the road to push more out of my particular setup.

maintain the F23, utilize F35 twin disc with a custom 6 bolt flywheel from CMs.
Team Green LSD Insert
Custom Axles or Junkyard Equal Length setup.
Use a 3.63 FD Gear since the 3.84 is good but isn’t the best for Turbo applications.

Also custom cams from Comp Cams. Just a more aggressive duration compared to the ZZP Cams.

While the Flywheel/Clutch, Cams and Forged crank will be expensive. I’ve decided that the rest of the build will ultimately be cost relative to any other LNF or LSJ fully built turbo setups. Minus needing a F40 which will save me the most all in all. F23 FTW.

Turbo will be a SXE261 with a .63AR from AGP.
Compressor wheel flows about 76lb/min
But realistically it’ll be more like a 71-72lb/min While retaining similar but slightly laggier response to the S257. Sticking to BW for reliability, affordability and ultimately the turbo will spool adequately for what I need, 2.4L and VVT will help quite a bit.

While obviously this setup has much much more to it. I’m just sharing a little bit of what I’m doing and planning to do. I am personally building this car. Thanks let me know what you think!
The following users liked this post:
Monieg5gt (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 08:22 PM

Received 84 Likes on 82 Posts
[QUOTE=Raven2k;7754855]Hello

Having owned 2 LNFs now in the past 2 years, I have decided to go a different route.

My silver balt which was a EFR6758 tuned on pump gas stock motor and trans. 400WHP. Sold

My Black Balt, also stock motor and trans but equipped with the bigger EFR brother, 7163.
E-47 tune on 30PSI about 500WHP/400WTQ. Also recently sold.

The LE5 appeals to me for the extra displacement and also sharing VVT like the LNF. Main drawback being a cast crank, though like 500hp~ capable.

I’m intending on a doing a fully built LE5 with stock crank for breaking the setup in.
But eventually swapping in a forged crank from Marine Crankshafts for about a 2500 dollar quote. Since I will want to have head room later down the road to push more out of my particular setup.

maintain the F23, utilize F35 twin disc with a custom 6 bolt flywheel from CMs.
Team Green LSD Insert
Use a 3.63 FD Gear since the 3.84 is good but isn’t the best for Turbo applications.

Also custom cams from Comp Cams. Just a more aggressive duration compared to the ZZP Cams.

While the Flywheel/Clutch, Cams and Forged crank will be expensive. I’ve decided that the rest of the build will ultimately be cost relative to any other LNF or LSJ fully built turbo setups. Minus needing a F40 which will save me the most all in all. F23 FTW.

Turbo will be a SXE261 with a .63AR from AGP.
Compressor wheel flows about 76lb/min
But realistically it’ll be more like a 71-72lb/min While retaining similar but slightly laggier response to the S257. Sticking to BW for reliability, affordability and ultimately the turbo will spool adequately for what I need, 2.4L and VVT will help quite a bit.

While obviously this setup has much much more to it. I’m just sharing a little bit of what I’m doing and planning to do. I am personally building this car. Thanks let me know what you think! [/

Good luck with your build man. Should be a lot of fun once its completed. Please post any progress pictures of your build and what you are starting with currently. Also are you doing any suspension mods at all? Like stiffer springs, larger sway bar, solid control arm bushings, poly engine and tranny mounts etc. I just actually got my build done. Fully rebuilt suspension with YYZ springs, bilstein rear shocks, SS/TC front struts, Powell LCABS, Moog endlinks, upgraded cobalt SS front sway bar, ZZP front strut bar, Powell Hardcore rear swaybar. I'm going to be adding a M62 supercharger soon which I got ported to accept the larger ls4 tb. I have a Pontiac G5 Gt with the same 2.4 le5 engine you have. Exterior Color is Red tint coat color.
Old 07-21-2022, 08:46 PM

Good luck with your build man. Should be a lot of fun once its completed. Please post any progress pictures of your build and what you are starting with currently. Also are you doing any suspension mods at all? Like stiffer springs, larger sway bar, solid control arm bushings, poly engine and tranny mounts etc. I just actually got my build done. Fully rebuilt suspension with YYZ springs, bilstein rear shocks, SS/TC front struts, Powell LCABS, Moog endlinks, upgraded cobalt SS front sway bar, ZZP front strut bar, Powell Hardcore rear swaybar. I'm going to be adding a M62 supercharger soon which I got ported to accept the larger ls4 tb. I have a Pontiac G5 Gt with the same 2.4 le5 engine you have. Exterior Color is Red tint coat color.[/QUOTE]

Thanks man, yeah I plan on running ZZP Coilovers. I had BCs before they were ok. I plan on using OTTP Rear Upgraded CABS. But stock front CABS since they only control vertical suspension. Also new OEM stock ball joints. Front & rear sway bars. Moog end links. Also all OTTP engine and trans mounts. They are the best imo, I’ve had both ZZP and OTTP.

A 2.4L M62 seems like a solid choice. That will be a lot of fun for you and I’m sure many others. I’m planning on racing mine in the quarter. Low 11s and break into the 10s is my goal on E85. Will be pushing considerable power though. I will Street drive the car though. Mostly on weekends.
The following users liked this post:
Monieg5gt (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 08:56 PM

Received 84 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice brotha. Yeah I have the upper tranny mount from OTTP, along with their steering rack spacers, stainless braided fuel lines and their braided brake line kit. Those are current pics of my car with the first pic after all the brake upgrades were done.
Old 07-22-2022, 10:16 PM

Received 91 Likes on 89 Posts
The stock le5 crank can hold over 700whp.
Old 07-22-2022, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Raven2k
Good luck with your build man. Should be a lot of fun once its completed. Please post any progress pictures of your build and what you are starting with currently. Also are you doing any suspension mods at all? Like stiffer springs, larger sway bar, solid control arm bushings, poly engine and tranny mounts etc. I just actually got my build done. Fully rebuilt suspension with YYZ springs, bilstein rear shocks, SS/TC front struts, Powell LCABS, Moog endlinks, upgraded cobalt SS front sway bar, ZZP front strut bar, Powell Hardcore rear swaybar. I'm going to be adding a M62 supercharger soon which I got ported to accept the larger ls4 tb. I have a Pontiac G5 Gt with the same 2.4 le5 engine you have. Exterior Color is Red tint coat color.
Thanks man, yeah I plan on running ZZP Coilovers. I had BCs before they were ok. I plan on using OTTP Rear Upgraded CABS. But stock front CABS since they only control vertical suspension. Also new OEM stock ball joints. Front & rear sway bars. Moog end links. Also all OTTP engine and trans mounts. They are the best imo, I’ve had both ZZP and OTTP.

A 2.4L M62 seems like a solid choice. That will be a lot of fun for you and I’m sure many others. I’m planning on racing mine in the quarter. Low 11s and break into the 10s is my goal on E85. Will be pushing considerable power though. I will Street drive the car though. Mostly on weekends.[/QUOTE]

us tvs guys are running low 12s to high 11s. 10s with an m62 isn’t close to realistic.
Old 07-22-2022, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by chevygirl2006
The stock le5 crank can hold over 700whp.
Do you have proof or info of where I could find this? I know GM rated their cast cranks as being about 500hp+ capable. But 700whp is suggestive of a 800hp capable crank. Which seems far fetched considering I’ve looked extensively on finding dyno results for bigger turbo applications on the stock LE5 crank. I’ve heard hear say saying that the stock LE5 crank has done some impressive numbers but no actual proof backing this up. I just prefer definitive proof vs what people tell me they think will work.

Last edited by Raven2k; 07-22-2022 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-22-2022, 10:57 PM

us tvs guys are running low 12s to high 11s. 10s with an m62 isn’t close to realistic.

I wasn’t talking about M62 setups in that. I was referring to my setup running a SXE261 aiming for those goals. Not the stock M62, which is maybe 370whp capable and sub 400whp on a 2.4L setup when absolutely maxed out. Not even remotely interested in running a SC.
Old 07-23-2022, 01:36 PM

Do you have proof or info of where I could find this? I know GM rated their cast cranks as being about 500hp+ capable. But 700whp is suggestive of a 800hp capable crank. Which seems far fetched considering I’ve looked extensively on finding dyno results for bigger turbo applications on the stock LE5 crank. I’ve heard hear say saying that the stock LE5 crank has done some impressive numbers but no actual proof backing this up. I just prefer definitive proof vs what people tell me they think will work.
yeah our friends car did 717whp at tk2k on the dyno. Le5 bottom end and lsj head. With a 6766 turbo. This was back in 2015.

Old 07-23-2022, 01:37 PM

I wasn’t talking about M62 setups in that. I was referring to my setup running a SXE261 aiming for those goals. Not the stock M62, which is maybe 370whp capable and sub 400whp on a 2.4L setup when absolutely maxed out. Not even remotely interested in running a SC.
I gotcha. My bad.
Old 07-23-2022, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by chevygirl2006
yeah our friends car did 717whp at tk2k on the dyno. Le5 bottom end and lsj head. With a 6766 turbo. This was back in 2015.

https://youtu.be/vW033r6194U
this is super interesting to see. Thanks.
Is there any info of where I could find this build?
Old 07-23-2022, 02:56 PM

this is super interesting to see. Thanks.
Is there any info of where I could find this build?
I would have to look for it. This was a while ago.
Old 07-29-2022, 09:39 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
Why do you need custom axles? I guess if you're launching a car, I could see the need, otherwise you shouldn't need them. I've got 10k miles on a set of NAPA axles from when I F23 swapped my LSJ. PT5557 at 25 psi and E85. And I think the Saturn Vue is the only place to get an F23 Equal Length setup - they're super rare and are not a direct/easy bolt-on, from my understanding.

Also, the "longer FD are better for turbos" idea isn't a real thing. I went with the 3.63 (XFE) for the same reason, but later found out that "idea" isn't based in fact. You'll always be faster with shorter gears - which is why I'm looking for an HHR 4.17 FD now.
Old 07-29-2022, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
Why do you need custom axles? I guess if you're launching a car, I could see the need, otherwise you shouldn't need them. I've got 10k miles on a set of NAPA axles from when I F23 swapped my LSJ. PT5557 at 25 psi and E85. And I think the Saturn Vue is the only place to get an F23 Equal Length setup - they're super rare and are not a direct/easy bolt-on, from my understanding.

Also, the "longer FD are better for turbos" idea isn't a real thing. I went with the 3.63 (XFE) for the same reason, but later found out that "idea" isn't based in fact. You'll always be faster with shorter gears - which is why I'm looking for an HHR 4.17 FD now.
if I could I would go with equal length axles. Yes I am aware of the Saturn Vue option or J-Body Isuzu shaft option. I will be launching the car and abusing it so reliability is a big thing for me. So for me just getting a stronger set of axles is better.

No it is a real thing. The 3.63 XFE gears will perform very similarly to the F35 4.05 Trans in terms of gearing. The shorter the gears you run yes you can accelerate quicker and hit peak TQ sooner. But you lose out on providing load on the turbo to help spool, shifting more, less top end, also you’ll have more wheel spin. I’m sure your setup worked fine for you but you are running a substantially smaller turbo and an entirely different application.

Aren’t you the same guy that recommended to me to get a Z54 turbo? What junk turbos those are. You said something like journal bearing turbos are good now unlike before.

Yes journal bearing turbos are reliable, stronger and better designed than ever before. I’m literally running a SXE turbo on this setup. But the problem is ZZP is trying to make their own turbo without proper experience in creating effective bearing designs.
my buddy blew up his Z54 after a month of driving and I’ve known many others who have had that turbo blow up. Z54 or Z57. When a turbo fails like 1/4 times then i would personally avoid until they have proven to fix those design flaws.

So you might thing your opinion is best, like with the 4.17 FD, Z54 turbo or the stock axles that can’t handle more than 500WTQ if that reliably. But you are looking through a lens of what works for you and your particular application on an entirely different motor.

Old 07-29-2022, 05:33 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
I guess I breezed over the part where you talked about pushing 70+ lbs/min. Certainly need a better axle solution for that.

I can't recall ever specifically recommending a ZZP turbo to anyone as I've never used one, have zero experience with them, and have seen a couple of people on here having troubles with them. If I made a statement about journal bearings being better now than they used to be, then that was the end of the statement - it was not a direct endorsement for ZZP products.

As far as loading up the turbo and everything else - that statement is entirely based on drag times and statements from places like Motion Raceworks. Longer gears run slower times - MR has talked plenty about dropping 0.2s by swapping from a 3.2x FD to a 3.7x FD. For street driving, a big turbo will come to full boost at a lower rpm in longer gears, but the time it takes to get there might be longer than hitting full boost at a later rpm using a shorter gear - so you still end up being slower with the "quicker" spool. Highway cruising/mileage might play a part in your gear selection, but I'm not concerned with that, which is why I'm looking for the 4.17 (whose 5th gear will match that of a 4.05 F35 at 80 mph anyway, so no real loss on the highway). They're $300 transmissions; if I don't like it, I'll find another one. There's certainly something to be said about getting off the line, wheel spin, etc, but otherwise, the car will be quicker with shorter gears.

If you have data to show otherwise on any of these topics, I'd love to see it.
Old 07-29-2022, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
I guess I breezed over the part where you talked about pushing 70+ lbs/min. Certainly need a better axle solution for that.

I can't recall ever specifically recommending a ZZP turbo to anyone as I've never used one, have zero experience with them, and have seen a couple of people on here having troubles with them. If I made a statement about journal bearings being better now than they used to be, then that was the end of the statement - it was not a direct endorsement for ZZP products.

As far as loading up the turbo and everything else - that statement is entirely based on drag times and statements from places like Motion Raceworks. Longer gears run slower times - MR has talked plenty about dropping 0.2s by swapping from a 3.2x FD to a 3.7x FD. For street driving, a big turbo will come to full boost at a lower rpm in longer gears, but the time it takes to get there might be longer than hitting full boost at a later rpm using a shorter gear - so you still end up being slower with the "quicker" spool. Highway cruising/mileage might play a part in your gear selection, but I'm not concerned with that, which is why I'm looking for the 4.17 (whose 5th gear will match that of a 4.05 F35 at 80 mph anyway, so no real loss on the highway). They're $300 transmissions; if I don't like it, I'll find another one. There's certainly something to be said about getting off the line, wheel spin, etc, but otherwise, the car will be quicker with shorter gears.

If you have data to show otherwise on any of these topics, I'd love to see it.
Being an engineer does not denote you in any special way. My uncle-in-law is an engineer and he is the least mechanically inclined person I know. So I consider that irrelevant to this discussion.

In another thread you did endorse the Z54. Whether you recall or not. You did. Not saying you run them. You just suggested it over the EFR6758. Which in my opinion is questionable.

Yes I see the validity in your argument towards running more aggressive gearing. But granted this is gonna be a street car at the end of the day. Also yes you’ll accelerate faster in a more aggressively geared setup. I just believe for our platform and it being predominantly FWD. I think a 4.17 FD is a good choice for individuals who believe it will suit their needs. But for me it’ll hurt my traction needs and I don’t wanna constantly shift or spin like f’ing crazy in 1st or 2nd with a 4.17 or even a 3.84. The 3.63 fits my needs. See this isn’t a game of what’s better but rather a game of orienting what pertains to certain individuals. Also this isn’t gonna be a solely track car, 0.2s is very irrelevant to me.

Even with the 3.63 in 3rd gear I’ll be able to do pulls from 60-120 while still in 3rd and still being perfectly at my boost threshold. With the gearing still being aggressive enough to accelerate quickly. Equivalent to the F35 4.05 from 1st to 4th. I’ve ran that trans in both my cars. I felt it suited the cars perfectly.

You can look up the positives and negatives of each on your own.